2021 NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DU-fan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am while they may have done this and it looks like they did, running selections based on conferences and not teams is antithetical.

it's also expressly against selection rules (which we all know were thrown out the window). of it was ever communicated, i'd like to see it. time of year for wins and losses is also a no no.

of course, every year we get the committee head showing what a gummed up process it is from what's supposed to happen. this year, they take a small cowpie of a mess and make it worse, track it inside.
With limited inter conference play, I am not sure the committee had much of an option this year. People can complain about the ACC getting all the teams in, but this was obvious after SU beat Virginia and had a winning record. That only leaves 3 other AL bids, which everyone knows. They committee did not have that many options.

I like Tim Leonard's transparency, but it invites even more criticism.

I wish the number of D1 teams would support a 24 team bracket with first round byes. But, that is the role that the conference championships play. And when teams don't make the championship finals, it hurts the team's chances of getting an AL.

The ACC needs to pick up another team or get a waiver to have a 4 team playoff bracket in my opinion.
We lost Furman, losing Hartford and I suspect Hampton soon. Even relatively successful programs like St Joes are at risk so much more likely we lose and at large then gain one anytime soon.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I wish the number of D1 teams
would support a 24 team bracket
with first round byes.
That number is too large.
The NCAA wouldn’t accept that.
We’d need closer to 100 DI programs.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DU-fan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:20 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am The only way the Top 4 ACC teams can play each other is if they make the Final 4. That's all you need to know about how the committee balanced the bracket.

Had ND been the 5-seed, which is where most people thought they'd be, we'd have gotten UVA-ND in South Bend for the QF (a rematch at the same location of UVA's 12-11 win). So the committee flipped ND and Georgetown.

Hence Leonard's inability to articulate MD's and ND's seeds. Both were under-seeded by one.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing it out.
if the committee did nothing else right, once they got the field they pushed out as many conference matchups as they could, what have been advocating for given their stance on ooc scheduling.

patriot, b1g, big east and acc all run out on opposite sides.

would not have cared if terps were number 1 as a result of this. where maryland ran into an issue is the high profile of the #1 seed with zero ooc, and then anything #s other than an undefeated record.

the unc/duke mirror image thing is bogus. if you're gonna do eye test and late season games mean more, then you do that. but that's what ya get when this is how you set a tournament.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm
I wish the number of D1 teams
would support a 24 team bracket
with first round byes.
That number is too large.
The NCAA wouldn’t accept that.
We’d need closer to 100 DI programs.
I know. I just thought I would bring it up because it someone does every year at this time. :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think the NCAA shoots for about 18-20% tournament participation.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to IL podcast 4 teams have been told to stay in their Covid-19 protocol as replacement teams. Tournament teams have to pass their test by tonight
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

yikes
Husky1

Post by Husky1 »

Has anybody had problems buying tickets for Final 4 @ Rentschler Field?
bananas

Post by bananas »

Why not 24 ? Give byes to top eight seeds , have 9-24 play mid week games if necessary.

Did I hear correctly that gals had 29 teams in their tournament?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bananas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:36 pm Why not 24 ? Give byes to top eight seeds , have 9-24 play mid week games if necessary.

32 and you don't have to have any byes.
the acc should have to have 6 teams or no at larges allowed. why are they special?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

bananas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:36 pm Why not 24 ? Give byes to top eight seeds , have 9-24 play mid week games if necessary.

The NCAA has a fairly consistent number of teams they want in post-season tournaments as a percentage of total teams playing in that division. 24 with the current number of D1 teams would be too high of a percentage. Would likely need 100-105 teams to justify that many. Of course, this is just their preference, it is not any sort of codified rule as far as I know.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Assume it has something to do with their 30-1 occ record but adding another to acc is overdue. Having AQ stirs more interest in season but some inclusions dont necessarily represent the best field. Going to 24 solves that issue and a top eight seed should enjoy a bye while prelims gets field quickly back to 16.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The conference tournaments ARE the play-in games....

An all ACC Final Four is in the cards....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm

the acc should have to have 6 teams or no at larges allowed. why are they special?
Because they're good...
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

I don't understand all the talk about how impressive the ACC's 34-1 Out of Conference record is. As a group they beat 7-5 Denver twice, 9-5 Loyola once and split with 7-4 Army. The other 30 OOC wins were against teams that any contender is expected to beat, and beat every time. Did they play a single OOC game against anyone who could be considered a contender? (Denver's big win of the season was at home against Georgetown, who they then lost to twice.)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fsclax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm I don't understand all the talk about how impressive the ACC's 34-1 Out of Conference record is. As a group they beat 7-5 Denver twice, 9-5 Loyola once and split with 7-4 Army. The other 30 OOC wins were against teams that any contender is expected to beat, and beat every time. Did they play a single OOC game against anyone who could be considered a contender? (Denver's big win of the season was at home against Georgetown, who they then lost to twice.)
who do you like out there, fsc?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Because they're good...
True but not a defense of special rules applying. WG is right on this however it's of minimal consequence if they just squeeze into a second play-in game as they've done a few years. Even w/o the extra play in game it returns one theoretical bid in a year where all five would qualify which is not insignificant but doesnt change the fact that at least half the at larges would land there in a year like this.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

fsclax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm I don't understand all the talk about how impressive the ACC's 34-1 Out of Conference record is. As a group they beat 7-5 Denver twice, 9-5 Loyola once and split with 7-4 Army. The other 30 OOC wins were against teams that any contender is expected to beat, and beat every time. Did they play a single OOC game against anyone who could be considered a contender? (Denver's big win of the season was at home against Georgetown, who they then lost to twice.)
You mean 12-4 7 seed Denver who'd smoke JHU/PSU/OSU and I think would take RU 7/10 times this season? Loyola who beat 5 seed Big east champ Georgetown and is in the tourney as an at large? It's all heuristics.
See Martin, Malcolm
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm
No surprises, Carolina, MD or Duke. Just think the 34-1 hype is nonsense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fsclax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm
No surprises, Carolina, MD or Duke. Just think the 34-1 hype is nonsense.
i like hype sometimes. where is it all?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”