Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FannOLax

Re: Yale 2021

Post by FannOLax »

Long article in the Yale Daily News about athletics in this strange time:
http://features.yaledailynews.com/blog/ ... ut-sports/
"On top of challenges with recruitment, the number of incoming first-year athletes taking gap years makes the future of Yale athletics more unpredictable.

Historically, when a first-year student-athlete takes a gap year, they end up stripping an unsuspecting potential recruit of a spot. Every varsity program at Yale has a limited number of spots for recruits in a given class.

Jack Stuzin ’24, a defenseman for the Yale men’s lacrosse team, told the News that he decided against a gap year partly for this reason.

“I was close to taking a gap year,” Stuzin said. “But I didn’t want to put anybody in the position in the grade below me where I was taking up a recruiting spot because I know if I were in that situation I would be pretty bummed about it.”

Despite the recruiting policy, Stuzin said his coaches and athletics staff did not encourage or discourage him to take a gap year. Both Gladstone and head volleyball coach Erin Appleman said they feel that the decision to take time away from Yale is a personal one."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:40 am Long article in the Yale Daily News about athletics in this strange time:
http://features.yaledailynews.com/blog/ ... ut-sports/
"On top of challenges with recruitment, the number of incoming first-year athletes taking gap years makes the future of Yale athletics more unpredictable.

Historically, when a first-year student-athlete takes a gap year, they end up stripping an unsuspecting potential recruit of a spot. Every varsity program at Yale has a limited number of spots for recruits in a given class.

Jack Stuzin ’24, a defenseman for the Yale men’s lacrosse team, told the News that he decided against a gap year partly for this reason.

“I was close to taking a gap year,” Stuzin said. “But I didn’t want to put anybody in the position in the grade below me where I was taking up a recruiting spot because I know if I were in that situation I would be pretty bummed about it.”

Despite the recruiting policy, Stuzin said his coaches and athletics staff did not encourage or discourage him to take a gap year. Both Gladstone and head volleyball coach Erin Appleman said they feel that the decision to take time away from Yale is a personal one."
This is an issue for most programs and is likely to be magnified at the Ivy League schools. Time will tell.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Lucas Osborne, from Lawrenceville, NJ... New Jersey may not be a traditional hotbed, but Yale has recruited some terrific players from NJ; the 2018 national championship team featured Chris Fake, Conor Mackie and Brian Tevlin all from NJ.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm New Jersey may not be a traditional hotbed...
I beg to differ...
Caddy Day
tropxe33

Post by tropxe33 »

Osborne is Canadian
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:09 pm
FannOLax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm New Jersey may not be a traditional hotbed...
I beg to differ...
It is not LI or Maryland but still has a very solid reputation. CT is kind of the same. Some great players but not quite LI of MD.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

More on Lucas Osborne:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yale/56883

(Yes, he does hail from Ontario, Canada... so Lawrenceville is a prep/boarding school in NJ, and Osborne appears to have followed lacrosse coach Jon Posner there from Culver Academy/Academies.)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Matnum, thanks for posting the news about the Yale commits. Fann, thanks for the link to the IL coverage on Osborne -- sounds like a great kid. Nice get for the Elis.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:33 am More on Lucas Osborne:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yale/56883

(Yes, he does hail from Ontario, Canada... so Lawrenceville is a prep/boarding school in NJ, and Osborne appears to have followed lacrosse coach Jon Posner there from Culver Academy/Academies.)
There is a college down the street from Lawrenceville. Will be easier for him to get there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Lots of earlier discussion in the news about the founder of Yale making his fortune as a slave trader. Some were calling for the university to change its name. Did anything ever come of that?

The lacrosse team actually had “Eli” on their helmets up until recently. I would think there should be an apology from the athletic dept or lacrosse coach.

Why is Yale getting a pass in this environment?
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:11 am Lots of earlier discussion in the news about the founder of Yale making his fortune as a slave trader. Some were calling for the university to change its name. Did anything ever come of that?

The lacrosse team actually had “Eli” on their helmets up until recently. I would think there should be an apology from the athletic dept or lacrosse coach.

Why is Yale getting a pass in this environment?
I think most people believe the "rename Yale" argument is a bad-faith trolling attempt from people who are opposed to communities removing Confederate statues that were erected in the 20th century and, thus, it has not been taken seriously. Perhaps that will someday change and the issue will be seriously considered by the university. In the meantime, I feel safe in saying that those of us who enjoy discussing the Yale lacrosse program will continue to enjoy discussing that excellent program and reflecting with happiness on the joy we've felt as fans during this past decade and will not worry about silly, trolling demands for the athletic department to apologize for the name of the university.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Can we please, please, please not pollute this lacrosse site with discussions of the name of a university or its mascot? We are bombarded with this in other outlets and this site is a terrific reprieve from that. I am not saying it is not a worthwhile discussion - just not here. PLEASE!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The blue helmets (not the white) helmets had script "Elis" on one side, starting in the 2018 post-season, an NCAA run that ended with a national championship. Those blue "Elis" helmets were also worn throughout the 2019 season, while the white helmets did not say "Elis." However, the 2020 white helmets did have the script "Elis" on one side.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ring-covid

"Eli Eight," but the focus is on TD, although it moves on a bit. Light fare.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Any thoughts on the Class of 2022? Looks like one five-star and a bunch of four-stars. Not especially deep, however. UVA appears to be running away with that class.

Thoughts?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:22 pm Any thoughts on the Class of 2022? Looks like one five-star and a bunch of four-stars. Not especially deep, however. UVA appears to be running away with that class.

Thoughts?
Largely throw out the star-ratings when it comes to Shay recruits; he expects them to work like maniacs to improve. Definitely not (yet) deep, but in recent years there have been plenty of student/athletes who have decommitted from big-name (and other) programs to come to New Haven. Strange days, different environment for just about everything, recruiting included.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”