Georgetown 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2021

Post by rolldodge »

What a game! Just fun (if nerve racking) to watch all around. McElroy was a beast and the defense really stepped it up and played with confidence as the game went on.

Is Carraway possibly dealing with an undisclosed injury? Lots of uncharacteristic turnovers in the past two games... Too many turnovers by the team in general again ... won't get away with that against Denver or in the tournament.

Great to see Petkevitch stepping up. He was instrumental in the Hoyas pulling away at the end. Senior leadership will be huge going into playoffs.

Also, McDermott with some absolute bombs on the run with both hands. And satisfying to see Haley with a rip from outside.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Petkevitch was great. So many guys stepped up, it really was a total team performance. Villanova passes the look test. Rutgers getting in over Villanova would really be a shame.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Mcdermott shot at 60% so he is getting a lot better roll dodge 😎 . Agree on turnovers and clears. They have to improve, especially when Denver goes 10 man. Can’t rely on McElroy to save .630 or better all the time. If Hoyas can clean up the clear/turnover recent issues, should have a good chance tomorrow. Hopefully the emotion and energy expended last night will not be a problem. Think if Hoyas can stay close early given Denver will be much fresher, they have a legit shot.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

That was an awesome game. Going off the eye test (if it matters) - those looked like 2 NCAA tournament teams to me, although I realize Nova is probably done.

I do wonder if Gtown will have enough in the tank to beat Denver. Denver seemed to have a walk through vs Providence, while the Hoyas were in a hard fought contest until late into the night.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

The Tombs will be rockin tonight!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Not sure what’s allowed but this team ha some serious b*lls.

Hoping Geddes injury is not season ending. Kid is a difference maker and incredible leader.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Awesome win. McElroy is playing phenomenal lacrosse. Lots of assists today, balanced scoring. Great stuff.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

5 seed and draw Cuse. Not exactly any favor from the committee. Should be an electric atmosphere at UMD for the Saturday nightcap. Gotta beat good teams in May either way and this will be a great test for the Hoyas.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HGK25 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm 5 seed and draw Cuse. Not exactly any favor from the committee. Should be an electric atmosphere at UMD for the Saturday nightcap. Gotta beat good teams in May either way and this will be a great test for the Hoyas.
I think this a tremendous draw,

great great opportunity to show which teams really deserved an NCAA bid, versus, I’ll just label it,
“the other.”
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HGK25 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm 5 seed and draw Cuse. Not exactly any favor from the committee. Should be an electric atmosphere at UMD for the Saturday nightcap. Gotta beat good teams in May either way and this will be a great test for the Hoyas.
Agreed. Gotta imagine they’d rather have seen Lehigh, Drexel, Loyola, Rutgers.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

At first I thought we got a bit of a bad draw but then again, there are no bad teams in this tournament and with Covid you are a test away from going home anyway. With the conditions this year I'd like to get in at least one game where we punch an old rival in the face. This is it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Have you seen Cuse this year? Notre Dame could have hung 30 on them.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Agreed 100%. Syracuse is a dangerous opponent and I think that GU will be up for the game, especially after Loyola showed that you have to be prepared for any decent opponent.

GU must clean up the unforced turnovers and clearing issues. This has been a problem in recent games and if GU can avoid turnovers/failed clears and thus increase possessions GU has a much better shot at winning. We cut back on TOs in the second half against DU and with sustained possessions, our 6x6 offense eventually spun DU's D out of position and and allowed good shots. And it allowed GU to exposit Hess from behind and from the wing.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am

Yes Peter I have. Hoyas style of play matches up well I think and yes ND beat them up. But not many 5 seeds draw a team that beat the 4 seed twice. Honestly I don’t think Warne or boys care. They’ll be ready to go Saturday night!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am

Yes Peter I have. Hoyas style of play matches up well I think and yes ND beat them up. But not many 5 seeds draw a team that beat the 4 seed twice. Honestly I don’t think Warne or boys care. They’ll be ready to go Saturday night!
My initial reaction was that it was a tough draw, but I think that is based more on Syracuse's history than anything objective in 2021. I think Syracuse is a better matchup for the Hoyas versus a team like Lehigh (for instance). Syracuse's weaknesses (defense and faceoffs) play much better into Gtown's strengths (defense, faceoffs, deliberate motion offense). Syracuse will have to win by scoring a lot of goals, which will be tough if they don't have the ball alot versus McElroy and the GT D. I do have two concerns: 1) SU's and Desko's overall playoff experience 2) SUs midfield offense, particularly if Geddes is out.

Not going to be easy, but I'm excited for this game. It's never a bad time to play (and hopefully beat) Syracuse. A win will give them a little extra bit of confidence going into the next round.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, Cuse has been spanked a couple of times this season, has shown up for some games and not so much for others.
Did you also see them play Duke to within one? Spank Virginia twice, once to the tune of by ten goals? Underestimate Cuse in the post season at your own peril, Mr. Brown.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 am
Yup, Cuse has been spanked a couple of times this season, has shown up for some games and not so much for others.
Did you also see them play Duke to within one? Spank Virginia twice, once to the tune of by ten goals? Underestimate Cuse in the post season at your own peril, Mr. Brown.

Normally I’d never underestimate Cuse. The aura on top of great talent means they can always go deep in May.

But this year something is off. Way off. Their blowout losses were ugly. Really ugly. And Georgetown looks in many ways exactly like ND.

Furthermore, the Cuse captains seemingly overriding Desko on the Scanlon mess is beyond odd, and potentially very disruptive. I think there will come a day soon when that captain-coach split results in another very ugly loss. It’ll be one of their next two games.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hard to ignore that but no one knows the real dynamics of that. Could it be that Desko is in agreement with the Captains but his hands were tied by legalities in what he could, couldn't, and had to do? We'll see how it all goes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The question is can the Georgetown middies beat up the Cuse SSDMs. Wycoff presumably will be marking Carraway but I don’t see that going well.

I love this matchup because it makes me think of Urick V Cuse as a upstate and Hobart guy.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
random observer

Post by random observer »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am
DMac wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 am

Normally I’d never underestimate Cuse. The aura on top of great talent means they can always go deep in May.

But this year something is off. Way off. Their blowout losses were ugly. Really ugly. And Georgetown looks in many ways exactly like ND.

Furthermore, the Cuse captains seemingly overriding Desko on the Scanlon mess is beyond odd, and potentially very disruptive. I think there will come a day soon when that captain-coach split results in another very ugly loss. It’ll be one of their next two games.
Way off base on Desko and the captains. They have all emphatically and publicly shown support for him. DMac is right; Desko's hands were tied, so the captains took action. There was no split or disagreement between Desko and the players.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”