Maryland 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm IL Twitter

Some great insights from postgame Zoom w/ the Terps:

-Bernhardt on his career: "I've lost more championships or big games than I've won here"
-Puglise on Bernhardt: "That may have been the quietest 8 and 2 ever."
-Tillman proud of Shockey's resiliency, knows Rowlett well

Seemed like we had a lot of pipes
Holden had lots of run on second midfield today.
If memory serves me......Rowlett was slated for UMD, after first committing to Lafayette, then when Shockey rolled out of NAPS to UMD, I believe that is when Rowlett went to UM.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm
keno in reno wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm IL Twitter

Some great insights from postgame Zoom w/ the Terps:

-Bernhardt on his career: "I've lost more championships or big games than I've won here"
-Puglise on Bernhardt: "That may have been the quietest 8 and 2 ever."
-Tillman proud of Shockey's resiliency, knows Rowlett well

Seemed like we had a lot of pipes
Holden had lots of run on second midfield today.
Sowers is excellent. Gray is even better; he's great. Bernhardt is just on another inexplicable level. He went from great athlete who plays lacrosse at an extremely high level to historically great lacrosse player.
i am waiting to see if someone shuts him off. it's time. waiting to see if he gets 6 points or 10 seems like a not so bold strategy, cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
Could you even do it effectively with how fast he is? And the side advantage as well. He’s just too good an athlete.
no one says you have to do it all game if it isn't working. i think we have a lot of evidence of what generally will happen if you don't.

not only might you be limiting touches, you might also disrupt flow. you're exposing more of the field, the tradeoff. at some point you need to make someone else beat you. that seems difficult to do treating him like just another guy.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm i am waiting to see if someone shuts him off. it's time. waiting to see if he gets 6 points or 10 seems like a not so bold strategy, cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
Michigan tried shutting him off in Week 8 early in the game. They had kind of an interesting defensive strategy in that game. They zoned Maryland's second MF line but played man against the first MF line. They tried to shut Bernhardt off, especially when Bernhardt went up top, and Bernhardt immediately went to the crease. He started setting picks. Michigan didn't try this for very long.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm i am waiting to see if someone shuts him off. it's time. waiting to see if he gets 6 points or 10 seems like a not so bold strategy, cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.
Michigan tried shutting him off in Week 8 early in the game. They had kind of an interesting defensive strategy in that game. They zoned Maryland's second MF line but played man against the first MF line. They tried to shut Bernhardt off, especially when Bernhardt went up top, and Bernhardt immediately went to the crease. He started setting picks. Michigan didn't try this for very long.
when did they stop? 2 goals 1st 1/4, same # in 1st half as 2nd half, 1st game maryland consistently posted 5 per 1/4 until they were up 15-3...

if your plan doesn't include exchanging the shutoff man on picks, it's not much of a plan. unless you're awesome at getting thru picks.

of course, those would be 2 of the things i'd have my guy doing in a shutoff, and the d would need to counter (including aj slides instead of crease).

using it intermittently throughout is also an option. it sounds like they were trying different things, at least, after game 1.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

There’s no magic about shutting down this year’s version of Jared Bernhardt ... you can’t.

That’s it ... it’s that simple.

Instead, you do your best to minimize his touches: win faceoffs; avoid turning the ball over; clear the ball; pick up groundballs; make clean saves without rebounds; be efficient and patient on offense; and play solid team D.

You can’t stop Bernhardt, so minimize the damage he can do. Against Maryland, your fundamentals almost need to be perfect ... and that’s just to have a shot to win near the end of the fourth quarter.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 pm
when did they stop? 2 goals 1st 1/4, same # in 1st half as 2nd half, 1st game maryland consistently posted 5 per 1/4 until they were up 15-3...

if your plan doesn't include exchanging the shutoff man on picks, it's not much of a plan. unless you're awesome at getting thru picks.

of course, those would be 2 of the things i'd have my guy doing in a shutoff, and the d would need to counter (including aj slides instead of crease).

using it intermittently throughout is also an option. it sounds like they were trying different things, at least, after game 1.
I can't recall exactly when they stopped. This was the game where Michigan went up 5-0 and then had Maryland run off 16 straight. They didn't seem to shut him off when he was at X IIRC. They let him hang up the defense, but Bernhardt wouldn't eat too much time on that and would press GLE. They mostly did it when he was on the wing or up top. Again, they didn't do it long based upon how Bernhardt and the rest of the Maryland offense responded. So by the end of the 1st quarter, they had abandoned it. It's the only time I can recall any opponent even trying to shut him off and have been surprised others haven't done it.

Maryland clearly practices for the shut off. Straight to crease, possession shot get an end line restart, etc. Next time you watch Maryland play, also notice what Bernhardt does on the ride once a team clears it. He's often substituting off to get the shorties on the field. This also gives Maryland the option to run him through the box if a team does try to shut him off. Typically, when he's off of the field, he's talking to Benson in the box about the defense is doing. Given Bernhardt's straight line speed, I'm also going to guess that he can shake a defender to get open.

What makes Maryland's offense hard to stop is that there are multiple initiators. Bernhardt isn't going to press and get the offense out of its flow. That's the real advantage of having really experienced players that run a system that doesn't have a ton of set or scripted plays. Tills has talked about this a ton this year. No two possessions are the same. The players all read and react, hence really Maltz is the only player mostly (not exclusively) plays in one spot. The rest of the players move all over the field.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Holden is sneaking in there a bunch now. Imagine if he busts out with a hat trick like the good ol' days.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:16 pm Holden is sneaking in there a bunch now. Imagine if he busts out with a hat trick like the good ol' days.
He ran every shift on 2M. Looked like they had a few looks where they could have found him for a step down. That shot is deadly, if he gets the looks he'll can them
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Couple hobart guys had suggested he’s been pretty banged up all year. Hopefully he drops a few in Hop
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:28 pm Couple hobart guys had suggested he’s been pretty banged up all year. Hopefully he drops a few in Hop
He was hurt at the beginning of the year. Remember seeing him Week 1 out there with some type of brace on his knee. And then Tills said he was dealing with some injury. I think being hurt + being hurt right at a key time in terms of learning the offense and getting acclimated put him behind the 8 ball. But he's working his way back and looks poised to make an impact down the stretch here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If he helps you get a title I Expect some stanley cup type time with it. Just for the record.
See Martin, Malcolm
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:41 pm If he helps you get a title I Expect some stanley cup type time with it. Just for the record.
For the last month I was hoping to see him on EMO; they never got the chance yesterday so maybe he will be there but maybe it's not gonna happen. Whatever, Pat Young stayed on 2nd line middie in 2016 (for better or worse) so there's no shame if he doesn't crack the next line, but he may be the x factor for the ultimate goal of be the best
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I know, just looking at Griffin brown who I watched for four years and we played every year and that’s what sticks out but could be offensive scheme plus injury plus whatever.
See Martin, Malcolm
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm I know, just looking at Griffin brown who I watched for four years and we played every year and that’s what sticks out but could be offensive scheme plus injury plus whatever.
so it's interesting. Bubba's looked great the past few weeks, including an awesome lefty slingshot yesterday. But his production overall is just not there (except for defense, where he had the highlight of the game yesterday).

There's plenty of room for #6 to add some value. Dont remember Koras in the game yesterday; he is really good and has great potential, but unless he's injured it seems like Holden is taking that slot for the championship run. Honestly, if Holden is 100%, he could take DeMaio's spot on the top line.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He had a job offer so I just want him to get something out of the season. If we had a graduate program she would’ve stayed in Geneva.
See Martin, Malcolm
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Shorties have been a disaster so far. Losing every matchup. Gotta get it together
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm Shorties have been a disaster so far. Losing every matchup. Gotta get it together
Yup, but puglise losing his feet once and then breaking his stick another time doesn’t help. Would also be nice if McNaney decided to make a save.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Bernhardt’s dropped like 3 or 4 passes. Don’t know what the f it is against these dudes but this is the 4th or 5th time in the last 3 years they just seem to brain fart against them
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Defense was a lot better in the 2nd Quarter. But then the offense brain farted. Just a bad half all around. Hopefully they put the foot on the gas here in the 2nd Half

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”