Denver 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Denver 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 pm apparently. will be there for villanova.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... HUWtg3khY0
So a kid from Rochester who went to college for more or less four years in Albany, NY and New Haven CT thinks the weather in Denver is funky?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

That makes it even more official. From the LSN interview, it sounds like he is rooming with Jackson Morrill, and staying with Lucas Cutler in the same house.

Denver Men’s Lacrosse
@DU_MLAX
TD Ierlan has cleared the NCAA compliance and transfer protocols and has been admitted to the University of Denver. He will be eligible to join team activities Saturday ahead of the Pioneers game at Villanova (Sunday/9 a.m. MT).

Interview if you have not watched it.
https://www.ftfnext.com/videos/16159364 ... r-transfer
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:00 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 pm apparently. will be there for villanova.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... HUWtg3khY0
So a kid from Rochester who went to college for more or less four years in Albany, NY and New Haven CT thinks the weather in Denver is funky?
I think he is commenting on the bright sunshine in the winter 8-)
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

RumorMill wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:09 am TD on the roster this week?
Officially on the roster: https://denverpioneers.com/sports/mens- ... oster/2021

Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Villanova game postponed due to Covid protocols in the Wilcats' program. No make-up date announced yet.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lax Sports Network
@LaxSportsNet
Hello, #60. First look at TD Ierlan practicing with
@DU_MLAX
as he prepares for his first game with the Pioneers Saturday at Providence (video via Denver Athletics)

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaxSportsNet ... 0905863176
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Excited to see Denver on the field again on Saturday with TD Ierlan.

https://denverpioneers.com/news/2021/3/ ... urday.aspx

Who: No. 7/8 Denver at Providence
What: Game #5 of BIG EAST Regular Season
Where: Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium
When: Saturday, March 27 – 1 p.m. ET/11 a.m. MT

Last Time Out
Denver used a 7-0 run to turn a two-goal deficit into a five-goal lead midway through the second quarter in the Pioneers 13-7 win over No. 4 Georgetown last Tuesday at Peter Barton. Denver's Sunday game at Villanova was postponed (make-up date TBD).

DI Series History
Denver is 11-0 all-time against Providence, including a 23-10 win on February 27 this season. Denver is 6-0 at home, 5-0 in Rhode Island and 7-0 in BIG EAST regular season games against Providence.

Other Team Notes
  • Head coach Bill Tierney is in his 12th season with the Pioneers, holding a 142-45 record at DU and a 414-138 career record in his 37th season.
  • Denver is fourth in senior class wins (2017-21) with 46, 10 behind national leaders Duke.
  • Yale transfer Jackson Morrill has recorded a point in 64-straight games, recording 247 points (123-124) during the stretch. That streak is second nationally.
  • The 2021 Denver Pioneers have players from 18 different states across the country.
    Since turning Division I ahead of the 1999 season, the Pioneers have had players from 32 different states.
  • Ethan Walker is second in career points with 249, six points behind Wes Berg for the program record.
    Walker is also second in goals with 160 (28 behind Berg).
  • The Pioneers are ranked fifth in the country in opponent clearing percentage, limiting opponents to 77.8 percent in the clearing game.
What's Next
The University of Denver men's lacrosse program, presented by Your Front Range Toyota Stores will return home on April 3 when it hosts Marquette. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. MT, and will be broadcast live on Altitude and 104.3 The Fan.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... uys-all-in

A 'SEAMLESS TRANSITION' FOR TD IERLAN; DENVER FACEOFF GUYS 'ALL IN'
THU MAR 25 2021 | PATRICK STEVENS | COLLEGE

TD Ierlan will wear No. 60 with the Pios.

The last piece of Denver’s roster is finally set to take the field.

TD Ierlan, who transferred from Yale, joined the Pioneers at practice over the weekend and is expected to make his Denver debut Saturday at Providence. Ierlan, who began his career at Albany, owns the Division I career records for ground balls (810), faceoffs won (1,159) and faceoff winning percentage (.753).

He’ll join a rotation in the Mile High City that already features Alec Stathakis, who ranks 13th in Division I with a .644 faceoff percentage.

“It’s been a pretty seamless transition,” Ierlan said. “You have Brett [Boos] and Alec, who are two of the better faceoff guys in the country. Then wing-wise, Danny Logan, it seems like he’s been on the wing for 20 years. It’s been super-easy to get accommodated. They’ve been super helpful to me, just showing me things they’ve noticed.”

Ierlan was hopeful to spend his extra year of eligibility at Yale but opted to transfer as the Ivy League inched toward a decision to shelve its spring sports season (it would eventually do so in mid-February). That left Ierlan to navigate a mid-year transfer process.

The presence of former Yale teammates Lucas Cotler and Jackson Morrill was appealing to Ierlan. But Denver’s academic calendar — with autumn, winter and spring quarters, as well as a summer session — also made the Pioneers a feasible choice given the timing of his move. The final day of the winter quarter was Friday; Ierlan was out at practice the next day.

The biggest question is just how much this helps a team that’s already doing commendable work at the X. The next biggest question is how the work gets divvied up.

“We’ve had very interesting and in-depth talks with Brett and Alec and TD well before this happened,” coach Bill Tierney said. “As TD arrived and as we went through the ups and downs of the NCAA process, TD has handled this extremely well. It’s just three great guys. I think the best day was when we had Alec and Brett together and I said, ‘What do you guys think?’ And both looked at me and said, ‘Coach, if it helps make our team better, we’re all in.’”

It won’t be a full season for Ierlan, who joins Denver as it begins its second round through the Big East. If the Pioneers (6-2) make up last weekend’s postponed game at Villanova and reach the Big East final, they will play eight more games prior to the NCAA tournament. Toss in the postseason, and Ierlan will play a maximum of 12 games with the Pioneers.

That’s certainly better than the none he was looking at before his trek west.

“Obviously, it kind of sucked to watch everyone else play for six-to-eight weeks,” Ierlan said. “You’re just sitting there hoping you’ll get to play soon. I’m excited. It’s really cool to see everyone playing. If the Ivy League isn’t playing, I’m glad all the other conferences are playing. I guess it made me a little anxious to get out there and get going. This week’s been awesome. I’ve looked forward to practice, because it’s the first time I’ve been able to practice in a year.”
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looks like Ierlan went 14-14, Stathakis 11-15, Boos 2-4. New face off rules don't seem to have affected TD much. Denver is going to be a force as the season progresses.
Pio9

Post by Pio9 »

I like what I see from the "FOGO Squad", but like seeing the scoring depth and better save percentage out of the goalies. Definitely heading in the right direction.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Thompson and French were 9 saves, 7 goals against.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I agree Denver is looking good in all parts of the game.
  • Attack looks great.
  • Offensive and defensive midi's are playing well.
  • Shooting accuracy, cuts, off ball movement and assists are going up.
  • FOGO's look to be the best in D1 with the addition of TD.
  • Riding game looks good.
  • Denver dominated in GB's today winning 46 vs. 20.
  • Defense is playing well.
  • Goalie play is consistent with good saving percents and the clearing game looks great.
Assuming Maryland beats Rutgers, the 3 teams (Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Rutgers) above Denver in the Media poll will lose this week. Denver should move up. It is more important to improve tournament seating than media polls. But, it is still fun to get the recognition.

Marquette got their first win today. They are a young aggressive team.

Denver needs to prove that they can beat them by a bigger margin and shut down their offensive threat.

Remaining games:
April 3 home vs Marquette
April 10 home vs. Villanova
April 17 away @ Georgetown
April 24 home vs St. John's
May 6-8 Big East Tournament

Not sure if we will make up the Villanova game as they are playing Lehigh on May 1. I thought that was supposed to be the Big East make up game weekend. But, a win against Villanova for Denver and Villanova beating Lehigh is better for Denver than playing them twice.

Villanova should have beat Georgetown today. They let that slip away. Both those teams will be very tough games.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Agree that the Pioneers are trending up.

Seeing Irelan go 14/14 after sitting out a year AND thriving so well under the very new rules that were designed to neuter him was completely delightful.

Watching Morrill QB the offense is also a treat - haven't had that kind of visionary X-operator since Connor Cannizzaro roamed behind the nets at Barton.

I think the next step for DU is develop the close defensive cohesion into the kind of defense that can angle truly confidently to take away those free-hand shots that enable offenses to build confidence. It's starting to happen, but there is still work to do.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

When is Tehoka Nanticoke enrolling at Denver? 😂
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

SkipPass wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:23 pm When is Tehoka Nanticoke enrolling at Denver? 😂
After he goes to Yale first!
molo

Post by molo »

I noticed that Sillstrop is back.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

DU is jelling before our eyes. Patient, experienced, mature, deep, healthy, unselfish, and skilled at all positions. The Pioneers now look like the top 5 team we’d hoped they be this season. 11 different DU scorers today, even with the Marquette goalie having a big day. Sillstrop and Malik Sparrow made a big difference, as they are healthy now and played well today,

Marquette was scrappy and disruptive for a while with defensive looks that confused DU into turnovers early, but the Pios stuck with it, executed the coaching staff’s adjustments and blew the game open in the second half.

Well done.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, all the decision makers wanted to neuter TD, that's why they changed (enforced) the rules. :roll:
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Puck Swami wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:49 pm Agree that the Pioneers are trending up.

Seeing Irelan go 14/14 after sitting out a year AND thriving so well under the very new rules that were designed to neuter him was completely delightful.

Watching Morrill QB the offense is also a treat - haven't had that kind of visionary X-operator since Connor Cannizzaro roamed behind the nets at Barton.

I think the next step for DU is develop the close defensive cohesion into the kind of defense that can angle truly confidently to take away those free-hand shots that enable offenses to build confidence. It's starting to happen, but there is still work to do.
TD works too hard at his craft, and has too much innate talent, to be neutralized by rule changes. And yes, this Yale fan found it a treat to watch Jackson Morrill for three years, as the young man has a tremendous lacrosse IQ. With the ACC, especially Duke, and Maryland garnering lots of attention, Denver might benefit from being out of the spotlight for a while. Keep improving, I'll mention Cotler. There. Go Denver!
molo

Post by molo »

I've got Denver on my final four bubble. As of now, I see Maryland and three from the ACC or Maryland and two from the ACC plus Denver. Pios should run the table as should Maryland. Duke is now the only undefeated ACC team, but I think any ACC team can beat any other ACC team once. Duke and UNC look like the most likely to make it to CT, but the Cuse is better than they looked against ND, and UVA is better than they looked against the Cuse. Denver fans know all about Duke and UNC, but Denver's schedule allows them enough challenges to continue to improve with not much chance of stumbling.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”