Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by tech37 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 am
tech37 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:49 am Hopkins has gotten hot in the BIG Tourney in past only to be crushed by OOC competition in first round and those were years when they were able to play outside of conf.
Sorry - ran across this and thought some clarification was necessary. This is not really true. The first year Hopkins won the BIG title - they went to the Final Four and lost in the semis by one goal (to another BIG team BTW). The second time they won the tournament they had eventual National Champion Duke worried in the quarters (down by one goal late in the third). In 2019 - Hopkins did reach the BIG title game and did not play well at Notre Dame in the first round but that was not a very good Hopkins team but then "getting hot" in the BIG tourney constitutes a single upset of Maryland. This Hopkins defense is better and the new goalie is really helping. And to be very clear - Hopkins has been crushed in the NCAA tournament - usually by Duke - but no correlation to the BIG tourney.

I of course know this is a Rutgers thread and can feel for your frustration. Your attack is a wonderful trio and there are other nice pieces - the goalie, Jean-Felix etc. Hopefully they'll get into the tournament. I would like to see them play a team from another conference too.
Standing corrected re past teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 am
GSP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:25 am
Wheels wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm
calourie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 pm Except this year I think they get into the NCAAs if Hopkins loses to Maryland. Backing in would be better than not getting in at all. If they do get in they will get a tough first round matchup.
Agreed. And all about match-ups at that point. Draw a team that wants to run as much as Rutgers, and you'll get a 18-17 game. UNC's athleticism is probably too much for Rutgers, but a UVA or Denver...probably wouldn't want to see Rutgers in your opening round game. If Cuse gets a seed and draws Rutgers? I wouldn't want to be Cuse.
Rutgers always chokes in big games on the extremely rare occasions when they even have a big game. 'Cuse would annihilate Rutgers. Not to fear however as Rutgers will not get in. If Rutgers were to get in by some miracle and drew an ACC team matchup, it is very likely that they would get shut out. There are no Ohio States, Michigans, Hops or Penn States in the ACC.
one of the most absurd statements i've read on this board. shut out? when's the last time ANY d1 program has been shut out? 'cuse is lucky if they make the tournament - they've been abysmal this year. a last second game against RMU isn't going to propel them into the tournament.
They’ve even using quality wins as a benchmark forever and doubt they stop this year even though they say they are throwing the framework out.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 am
GSP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:25 am
Wheels wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm
calourie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 pm Except this year I think they get into the NCAAs if Hopkins loses to Maryland. Backing in would be better than not getting in at all. If they do get in they will get a tough first round matchup.
Agreed. And all about match-ups at that point. Draw a team that wants to run as much as Rutgers, and you'll get a 18-17 game. UNC's athleticism is probably too much for Rutgers, but a UVA or Denver...probably wouldn't want to see Rutgers in your opening round game. If Cuse gets a seed and draws Rutgers? I wouldn't want to be Cuse.
Rutgers always chokes in big games on the extremely rare occasions when they even have a big game. 'Cuse would annihilate Rutgers. Not to fear however as Rutgers will not get in. If Rutgers were to get in by some miracle and drew an ACC team matchup, it is very likely that they would get shut out. There are no Ohio States, Michigans, Hops or Penn States in the ACC.
one of the most absurd statements i've read on this board. shut out? when's the last time ANY d1 program has been shut out? 'cuse is lucky if they make the tournament - they've been abysmal this year. a last second game against RMU isn't going to propel them into the tournament.
Stony Brook shut out Albany a few years back, like 16-0 when Crowley & McBride were at SBU...
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

well they made it in - and i think they have a favorable draw. lehigh isn't coming into the tourney on a high note. getting whooped by villanova, then barely beating colgate in the conference tourney - i think RU has a great chance to move on. of course, moving on means a date with UNC, so there's that.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

I think top to bottom Rutgers is better than Lehigh - that said, Lehigh is going to have a MASSIVE edge in FO. How RU minimizes that and how their D holds up vs a likely big possession advantage for the Hawks is this entire game.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Sigh of relief. Now it's time to show how good this team can be. Lehigh fogo is a problem but Knights have their edges .. Want this in the worst way , this is the year to make noise and represent b10 well. Moving on and playing UNC in a transition game would be a opportunity to shock the lax landscape.
calourie

Post by calourie »

I'm glad Rutgers got in even feeling like being a reward for knocking on the door for three years or so. Lehigh-Scarlet Knights, Syracuse-Georgetown, Drexel-Notre Dame are the games that hold the most intrigue for me this coming weekend though I'll pay attention to the others if they get or stay close.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Battle of the Kirst brothers.
Cole shooting on Colin will be fun to watch.
Connor shooting on the kid who kept Colin on the sidelines at Lehigh will also be interesting.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 pm Battle of the Kirst brothers.
Cole shooting on Colin will be fun to watch.
Connor shooting on the kid who kept Colin on the sidelines at Lehigh will also be interesting.
Yes,
that is a great angle to this game.
bananas

Post by bananas »

To all players interested in a top lax program

RUTGERS finished 6th (6) in media poll .... could have been as high as fourth.

History is being made.

Be part of a squad that can win both the BIG and National Championship

...this is a unpaid promotion endorsed by your local chapter of bananas..
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:21 pm To all players interested in a top lax program

History is being made.

So, in what Universe can you speculate Rutgers has any claim to 4th this season? They got beat in the quarters by UNC....... End of story. They are somewhere in the top 8..... If you are going to speculate because Maryland pummeled Duke in their 1 meeting and Rutgers played them closer, it doesn't fly... Duke had wins against the Champ and UNC.....If you are using that logic, than Notre Dame should be 4th, since they played Maryland closer than anyone in the Big 10 ever did..........I believe that logic would be ridiculous as well although it does confirm the ACC had several top teams.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

bananas, good summary. i agree with your assessment. I said RU should be ranked 5 or 6 for the entire season and almost every fanlax poster attempted to discount my assessment. Thanks. Now, i will await all the negative posts.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Silence !!!

I said could have , not should have .

Wish Knights had faced Cavs. oh how I wish.

Big congrats to UVA, impressive being champs when only 3rd or 4th best in ACC .

All in jest.

Is Blue Angels a intended name play off Blue Devils ?
bananas

Post by bananas »

RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm bananas, good summary. i agree with your assessment. I said RU should be ranked 5 or 6 for the entire season and almost every fanlax poster attempted to discount my assessment. Thanks. Now, i will await all the negative posts.
Thank you RURICK. United we stood , the glory will be ours someday . BB needs to get on the phone today.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Agreed on BB. Must take advantage of transfer portal to get proven, offensive talent in for next year.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

RURICK wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm bananas, good summary. i agree with your assessment. I said RU should be ranked 5 or 6 for the entire season and almost every fanlax poster attempted to discount my assessment. Thanks. Now, i will await all the negative posts.
Top 8 and 5 or 6 are all within a general margin of error so not sure why you should expect to get any grief from anyone. Rutgers had a good team. Let's see.... In my personal opinion, I would probably place Notre Dame 5th so Rutgers can certainly make a claim to be better than Georgetown and Cuse...... That leaves Loyola and Rutgers battling for 6th........I know Loyola better but it's a bit of a coin flip in my opinion. Others are entitled to their opinions. PS, if Rutgers had beaten UNC, they would have played Virginia as you wished. The tournament turned out right for Virginia but many of us were hoping Rutgers would defeat UNC when they played. Good luck next season!
Superlite2green

Post by Superlite2green »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:21 pm To all players interested in a top lax program

History is being made.

Hopefully RU can build off of this year!

lorin

Post by lorin »

Superlite2green wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:58 am

History is being made.

Are you being serious?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

lorin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 am

History is being made.

Are you being serious?
whats not to be serious about? they played maryland well both games despite the score of the first one and went to OT against UNC (how many weeks was UNC ranked #1?) In reality, if BB would have called the damn time out - they probably could have won. RU is highly underrated - i blame it on the joke of a football team but even they are turning it around. Brand new, world class lacrosse facility was just built, it's a great academic school - what's not to like about RU?
lorin

Post by lorin »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 am
lorin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 am

History is being made.

Are you being serious?
whats not to be serious about? they played maryland well both games despite the score of the first one and went to OT against UNC (how many weeks was UNC ranked #1?) In reality, if BB would have called the damn time out - they probably could have won. RU is highly underrated - i blame it on the joke of a football team but even they are turning it around. Brand new, world class lacrosse facility was just built, it's a great academic school - what's not to like about RU?
Just saying you are losing 165 points from your graduating attack, and you don't have one 2021 recruit in top 100. Other schools in big 10 have a combined 24

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”