Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
cantrelax

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by cantrelax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:33 am
cantrelax wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 am Kramerica, I just read your post from yesterday on the Hoya thread. C'mon man! Anything can happen in a Jesuit battle! :D Now let's sink Navy!
Hounds haven't been able to string together two good wins all year. They aren't starting now. Last night was an anomaly. Hounds have almost no shot against Navy. Mids wins the rematch easy.

;)
Bring it once more Kramerica!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, that sure is a crow dish statement if you're that wrong.
Mr. kram givin' his sleek canines some mighty harsh treatment
there. Comes back to bite him. ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sounds like reverse psychology works! Kram should keep it going :lol:

Not really in a laughing mood though....after that chit-sandwich we just ate.

Coach V is really such a gem for this team, regardless of the shade some through at him earlier this season.....he has all 6 players moving in concert, and all 6 play like attackmen that have touch, finesse, finish, and shooting stroke.

Congratulations to the Loyola fans on the board!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

Hounds dominated from start to finish. Big game from Olmstead, but he needs to junk the Marilyn Mosby imitation. Refs must have missed it since there was no unsportsmanlike conduct call.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Lot of confidence and momentum going for the Hounds right now. Olmstead was on fire and Seth Higgins looked sharp with the ball. Wigley's shooting percentage going up! Offense is beginning to gel and defense is just SOLID - Wyers, Hughes, Railey, Shaffer, McNulty and Middleton; and SSDMs Benus, Higgins and Rezanka!

Tough game on Friday but I like our chances.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

You like our chances?

Hey, hats off to the Hounds. It was a couple nice wins to save from a losing season.

But it's fool's gold. And Army is a whole different beast.

DId you see our first game against Army? Army almost doubled us up last time, 12-7. We dominated every stat category and it still didnt matter. They repeatedly pushed us into bad shots.

And I hate to say it, but we have no answer for their attack. Byrnes and Edinger ate our lunch last time. And that was before Nichtern was on his super hot streak like he is now. I expect Nichtern to feast on Friday.

There is a reason Army is raked in the top 10 and we aren't. The dream is over. Just like last time, Army jumps on us early and often in this one.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 am You like our chances?

Hey, hats off to the Hounds. It was a couple nice wins to save from a losing season.

DId you see our first game against Army? Army almost doubled us up last time, 12-7. We dominated every stat category and it still didnt matter. They repeatedly pushed us into bad shots.

And I hate to say it, but we have no answer for their attack. Byrnes and Edinger ate our lunch last time. And that was before Nichtern was on his super hot streak like he is now. I expect Nichtern to feast on Friday.

There is a reason Army is raked in the top 10 and we aren't. The dream is over. Just like last time, Army jumps on us early and often in this one.

Debbie Downer, dude. How’s about a tiny light of optimism? Geez Louise.

Didn’t navy just crush your fearsome Army?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sorry Pete, the game is just a formality.
I think we're looking at Army vs Lehigh for the PL Champ and AQ. The loser gets an at large.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

That's what I was looking for!! :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

cantrelax wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 am

Did you see our first game against Army? Army almost doubled us up last time, 12-7. We dominated every stat category and it still didnt matter. They repeatedly pushed us into bad shots.

That's what I was looking for!! :lol:
;)
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Such a great game! How did we go from "no one can beat their man or draw a slide" to "the team offense is clicking and everyone is a threat?"

Olmstead is lighting it up from all over the field
Lindley is working hard inside, as usual
Higgins is carrying the ball and routinely dusting his defender
James is the garbage collector
Swindell is bombing from outside
Poitras is dodging hard to the cage
Wigley is a beast with his quickness and dodging
Bateman, Seay, Decker, Binney are all contributing

Savio is back to his winning ways

Shafer is solid in the cage

The entire defense is playing well.

I love it!
UDLaxFan

Post by UDLaxFan »

Hounds looked fantastic yesterday. Certainly looking like contenders for the Patriot League title and the team that we thought they would be. If not for one bad loss vs. Towson, I'd say they are a shoe-in for an at large bid.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:04 am Such a great game! How did we go from "no one can beat their man or draw a slide" to "the team offense is clicking and everyone is a threat?"

I love it!

So I’ll throw something out there which may or may not land easy.

I think this kid Seth Higgins is what changed the Hounds. He consistently beats his man. His speed and cutting decisions are excellent, and very impactful on our offense.

Charley wasn’t playing him a ton early on. Which makes sense. He wasn’t too heralded coming out of high school and his shooting hasn’t been phenomenal. I think he was overshadowed by a few things, but one thing we can know is he has two older brothers who play(Ed) at the highest level and likely taught the young one a few things. Call him a late bloomer.

Having a reliable dodging threat at midfield is major for the Hounds. It opens up space for time and room shooters like Swindell and Olmstead. Using Higgins’ speed has really helped.

Keep getting at it Loyola!!!
Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:57 am Sorry Pete, the game is just a formality.
I think we're looking at Army vs Lehigh for the PL Champ and AQ. The loser gets an at large.

We now know who I’ll be posting at after our next win. :lol:
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:23 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:04 am Such a great game! How did we go from "no one can beat their man or draw a slide" to "the team offense is clicking and everyone is a threat?"

I love it!

So I’ll throw something out there which may or may not land easy.

I think this kid Seth Higgins is what changed the Hounds. He consistently beats his man. His speed and cutting decisions are excellent, and very impactful on our offense.

Charley wasn’t playing him a ton early on. Which makes sense. He wasn’t too heralded coming out of high school and his shooting hasn’t been phenomenal. I think he was overshadowed by a few things, but one thing we can know is he has two older brothers who play(Ed) at the highest level and likely taught the young one a few things. Call him a late bloomer.

Having a reliable dodging threat at midfield is major for the Hounds. It opens up space for time and room shooters like Swindell and Olmstead. Using Higgins’ speed has really helped.

Keep getting at it Loyola!!!
That observation certainly sits well with me. Higgins has proven to be extremely valuable, and just the piece the offense was missing. The only thing he lacks at this point is the confidence to shoot off of his dodge. Gunkel made the same comment during the game. Several times I expected him to let it rip on an alley dodge, but instead he passed it behind the cage. The Army coaching staff will have made this observation as well, so I hope he capitalizes on that by firing at the cage. I love that he is starting on the first midfield now.
old salt

Post by old salt »

molo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 pm Big game from Olmstead, but he needs to junk the Marilyn Mosby imitation. Refs must have missed it since there was no unsportsmanlike conduct call.
Agree. Uncalled for. I expected a flag.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I love it!
Yeah - I can't say it any better than GreyingHound. I'm feeling very optimistic about this team right now. It's a total team effort and all of the pieces are working together. Offense is hitting its stride and a big part of that is due to Higgins.

If you rewatch the games you find that Shafer is making opportune saves and that is huge. Toomey pushed the right buttons to help Sam get his mojo back. :)

Against Navy you saw physical play and offensive sets that just worked. Navy came out flat and the Hounds didn't let up and let them back into the game.

I don't know what kind of magic Army has planned to stop the Hounds but I don't think you can key on any one player, like Lindley or Olmstead, to stop Loyola. Loyola is getting contributions from everyone on offense as GreyingHound points out.

Not sure what the result will be on Friday, but the past two games have certainly given me hope and confidence in the present and the future for Hounds lacrosse. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/COeL39oNlFx ... vmf0xqhxoj

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgkpsHLqTi/
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 am

I love it!
Yeah - I can't say it any better than GreyingHound. I'm feeling very optimistic about this team right now. It's a total team effort and all of the pieces are working together. Offense is hitting its stride and a big part of that is due to Higgins.

If you rewatch the games you find that Shafer is making opportune saves and that is huge. Toomey pushed the right buttons to help Sam get his mojo back. :)

Against Navy you saw physical play and offensive sets that just worked. Navy came out flat and the Hounds didn't let up and let them back into the game.

I don't know what kind of magic Army has planned to stop the Hounds but I don't think you can key on any one player, like Lindley or Olmstead, to stop Loyola. Loyola is getting contributions from everyone on offense as GreyingHound points out.

Not sure what the result will be on Friday, but the past two games have certainly given me hope and confidence in the present and the future for Hounds lacrosse. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/COeL39oNlFx ... vmf0xqhxoj

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgkpsHLqTi/
Keys to Victory and I am feeling optimistic Friday night...

1. Continue to win those contested gbs
2. Savio at least 50%
3. Wyers and the Defense continue to be overwhelming...Wyers did a good job shutting down Nichtern last game, we just need to keep others from scoring
4. Olmstead got looks with running with the middie line, keep creating with the middies, and Lindley and the attack will thrive.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

NovaHound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 am
[...]

If you rewatch the games you find that Shafer is making opportune saves and that is huge.

[...]
Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that. :ugeek:

As much as I miss going to the games in person, I have found that not having to make the drive to/from Baltimore has given me a lot more time to watch and rewatch games. :geek:

Go Hounds!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Off to a good start. Worried that we won’t be able to keep up with the physical play

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”