FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am
RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am ...this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc...
Even if their lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent is off the charts, their biases are palpable. In terms of objectivity, this would be the absolute worst group of people to use for an impartial ranking. With this said... I'm not sure what your point is. That UMD and RU are Top Teams? I don't think anyone is arguing against this.
The coaches poll had Ivy teams 2 weeks ago before they even played a crimmage or whatever getting votes.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:18 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:13 am ...your 30-40 teams better than Lehigh claim was pretty silly, that wasn’t going to get a pass here.
That would put an undefeated Lehigh with wins over Army, Navy, and Loyola just after Merrimack whose best win is over Mount St. Mary and has lost to Hobart and Bryant twice...
Well Hobart would whoop Lehigh this year. A guy who seems credible told me so and he coached youth lacrosse!
See Martin, Malcolm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

once again, the acc has played over 30 other teams from other conferences.
the b1g has played zero.
if rutgers played well throughout the rest of the schedule, they would be ranked as villanova is. if anything, the b1g and rutgers are being given a pass this year on normal selection criteria for the nc$$. embrace it. nobody has it in for rutgers.

there are no mandates or rules for having 6 teams in a conference. only if you want a freebie into the tournament in case. which the b1g did. the acc doesn't feel they need one. it is an advantage for 6 team conferences, not a disadvantage.

most which you've supplied are not statistical facts but opinions. but maybe you know this? hope you don't consider this an attack but some answers to your questions. i don't have a problem with your 30-40 comment as you couched it behind a loss of their fogo, who is very good. and we all have opinions. however, lehigh does get to play that guy. maybe vs. rutgers and their former teammate in goal.

i do hope you keep posting. outside of the shots you've been taking at various posters, debate is good.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I am sure the answer to this is yes and maybe its several and I'm just not thinking of them (probably Hopkins) but just curious vis a vis Rutgers likely path to the tournament this year. Has a team ever been selected for at large that has not beaten a team with a winning record?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 am Lehigh has talent but has played nobody anywhere close to the Big Ten caliber teams outside of Army.
Army... and Navy, who just beat Army. And Loyola. While Rutgers has played MD, and lost both times, and... Rutgers beat OSU and Michigan. RURick, this makes no sense. Rutgers' wins aren't better than Lehigh's and, though to a good team, RU has 2 losses. Yet RU is really good and Lehigh is not?
RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:25 amLastly, thanks to all here who have made me feel welcome to post on fanlax.I have posted 13 times and every post has been attacked.
RU, take some credit for the reaction to your posts. Like it or not, FanLax is populated by relatively knowledge lacrosse fans having relatively knowledgeable lacrosse discussions. Make your exact same post on Facebook and it'll fit right in. In general, less knowledgeable post-ers posting with other less knowledgeable post-ers and... It works. Make a less knowledgeable post and stick to your guns at FanLax and... It doesn't work. Not because FanLax post-ers have no lives or are rude or otherwise. But because less knowledgeable posts stick out like a sore thumb here.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Well, it appears that debate is impossible here on fanlax. If you do not subscribe to the narrative being pushed by the elite /majority, you are , in effect, canceled and deemed obsolete. Much like all things outside fanlax. Good luck to all posters here in real life. Bye.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm Well, it appears that debate is impossible here on fanlax. If you do not subscribe to the narrative being pushed by the elite /majority, you are , in effect, canceled and deemed obsolete. Much like all things outside fanlax. Good luck to all posters here in real life. Bye.
RU, you haven't been canceled nor deemed obsolete. Your post has been questioned. No one is attacking you personally. You created a post and... It's not flying. If you had better information, data, or otherwise, maybe it would fly. But, currently, it isn't. This is *very* different than your being canceled and deemed obsolete.

As a semi-aside, have you been to the Politics Forum? I have feeling you might find some people you like (and don't like) a lot.
Caddy Day
calourie

Post by calourie »

NCAAs start in another 2+ weeks, and should be a pretty good indicator of who is over rated and who is under rated. Until then this truncated season without a ton of OCC competition and virtually no Ivies involved is anyone's guess. From a talent gathering standpoint (transfers and grad students) the ACC would appear to have an edge over all but a few programs, Denver and Rutgers among them, though some teams like Maryland, Lehigh and others have done well mostly with player retention. It will be interesting to see the seedings for the big dance. Right now I see Quint, Carc, and Anish angling for the powers that be to not give the #1 seed to Maryland so that the two best ACCs don't have to meet each other in the semis, but I think that would be a travesty if Maryland makes it to the tourney undefeated. Not having a first round home game levels the field for most teams particularly in that there appear to be 10 teams worthy of seeds. Anyway there are still a couple of weeks left in the season including league playoffs which should give us deeper insights as to the capabilities of the five non ACC teams battling for seeding positions.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Matnum PI, thanks but on thanks for your sarcastic advice. Get a life outside the insulated fanlax forum. My guess is you don't operate in the same fashion in the real world. Nonetheless, I wish you well and much success.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

calourie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm NCAAs start in another 2+ weeks, and should be a pretty good indicator of who is over rated and who is under rated. Until then this truncated season without a ton of OCC competition and virtually no Ivies involved is anyone's guess. From a talent gathering standpoint (transfers and grad students) the ACC would appear to have an edge over all but a few programs, Denver and Rutgers among them, though some teams like Maryland, Lehigh and others have done well mostly with player retention. It will be interesting to see the seedings for the big dance. Right now I see Quint, Carc, and Anish angling for the powers that be to not give the #1 seed to Maryland so that the two best ACCs don't have to meet each other in the semis, but I think that would be a travesty if Maryland makes it to the tourney undefeated. Not having a first round home game levels the field for most teams particularly in that there appear to be 10 teams worthy of seeds. Anyway there are still a couple of weeks left in the season including league playoffs which should give us deeper insights as to the capabilities of the five non ACC teams battling for seeding positions.
my guess any angling by the committee themselves won't be influenced by chuckleheads. but will very possibly be with the intention to create as few potential matchups in conference as possible through rounds 2 and 3. that'll include the b1g, the big east probably and the acc. and patriot maybe.

this probably won't impact maryland as much as some other teams. and the first round game will likely include one of the lowest 2+ opponents if they take care of business.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:35 pm my guess any angling by the committee themselves won't be influenced by chuckleheads. but will very possibly be with the intention to create as few potential matchups in conference as possible through rounds 2 and 3. that'll include the b1g, the big east probably and the acc. and patriot maybe.

this probably won't impact maryland as much as some other teams. and the first round game will likely include one of the lowest 2+ opponents if they take care of business.
The commentators on any of the networks have vested interests in the conferences on which their networks put games. Anish, Carc, Quint, Cotter...work for ESPN. ESPN owns part of the ACC Network, which of course wants as many eyeballs on those Thursday and Saturday games. Dixon and Joe B. work for BTN. Of course they're going to pump up B1G teams. Evan Washburn and whoever else do PL games on CBS Sports, ditto. They pump up the PL teams. It's like Brad Nessler and Gary Daniels openly advocating on CBS that the SEC get 2 (or more) teams into the College Football Playoffs.

So, yeah, the committee isn't going to pay attention to what talking heads have to say.

The biggest challenge for the committee remains that their typical metrics are busted because the B1G didn't play non-conference, the Ivies largely have not played, and some other conferences have schools that have played a very limited non-conference schedules, too. It's all going to come down to eye test because there is no way to make apples-to-apples comparisons between teams this year that haven't played each other. Even then, you get things like how do you compare UVA and Syracuse? Cuse beats them twice, one time really badly. But UVA is regarded...at least in the polls...as being a better team.

There's never been a better time to be a FanLax poster because the NCAA tournament seedings will be so subjective this year. Great way to stir debate!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

calourie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm NCAAs start in another 2+ weeks, and should be a pretty good indicator of who is over rated and who is under rated. Until then this truncated season without a ton of OCC competition and virtually no Ivies involved is anyone's guess. From a talent gathering standpoint (transfers and grad students) the ACC would appear to have an edge over all but a few programs, Denver and Rutgers among them, though some teams like Maryland, Lehigh and others have done well mostly with player retention. It will be interesting to see the seedings for the big dance. Right now I see Quint, Carc, and Anish angling for the powers that be to not give the #1 seed to Maryland so that the two best ACCs don't have to meet each other in the semis, but I think that would be a travesty if Maryland makes it to the tourney undefeated. Not having a first round home game levels the field for most teams particularly in that there appear to be 10 teams worthy of seeds. Anyway there are still a couple of weeks left in the season including league playoffs which should give us deeper insights as to the capabilities of the five non ACC teams battling for seeding positions.
Yes Q has been saying this on the IL podcast for weeks.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 pm Matnum PI, thanks but on thanks for your sarcastic advice.
I wasn't being sarcastic. i genuinely believe you'd like the political conversations and that you'd find people you'd like (that think like you) and people you will not (who do not think like you).
Last edited by Matnum PI on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

LOL. Regarding politics, I can only guess which side of the aisle you are on. If my guess is correct, would love to debate. Bye and Be well.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 am ...Regarding politics, I can only guess which side of the aisle you are on. If my guess is correct, would love to debate...
precisely my point. there's a bunch of guys like you in the Politics Forum that i think you'd enjoy. and a bunch of guys on the other side of the fence that you'd enjoy not enjoying.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

LOL.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 pm I am sure the answer to this is yes and maybe its several and I'm just not thinking of them (probably Hopkins) but just curious vis a vis Rutgers likely path to the tournament this year. Has a team ever been selected for at large that has not beaten a team with a winning record?
Cue one specific poster who’s been bringing up Bucknell since 1996...
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am once again, the acc has played over 30 other teams from other conferences.
the b1g has played zero.
if rutgers played well throughout the rest of the schedule, they would be ranked as villanova is. if anything, the b1g and rutgers are being given a pass this year on normal selection criteria for the nc$$. embrace it. nobody has it in for rutgers.

there are no mandates or rules for having 6 teams in a conference. only if you want a freebie into the tournament in case. which the b1g did. the acc doesn't feel they need one. it is an advantage for 6 team conferences, not a disadvantage.

most which you've supplied are not statistical facts but opinions. but maybe you know this? hope you don't consider this an attack but some answers to your questions. i don't have a problem with your 30-40 comment as you couched it behind a loss of their fogo, who is very good. and we all have opinions. however, lehigh does get to play that guy. maybe vs. rutgers and their former teammate in goal.

i do hope you keep posting. outside of the shots you've been taking at various posters, debate is good.
The idea that Hopkins is a part of the big ten for any other reason than to support having an AQ and nothing more is specious at best.

The problem here is opinions are being stated as facts and then when questioned it goes into victim mode about being attacked but a bunch of comments like ACC is overrated because Syracuse is a broadcasting school or whatever. Over and over and anyone who challenges Rutgers questions how good they are get a bunch of whining and crying back.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 am
RURICK wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 am ...Regarding politics, I can only guess which side of the aisle you are on. If my guess is correct, would love to debate...
precisely my point. there's a bunch of guys like you in the Politics Forum that i think you'd enjoy. and a bunch of guys on the other side of the fence that you'd enjoy not enjoying.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUsJ0Z4BCYk
See Martin, Malcolm
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

You know what is incredible to me. that you picked me, a 17 times poster, to go after. I'm not whining as some have claimed. However, i am confronted by individuals who have fanlax/facebook muscles that would most likely never challenge anyone, let alone a 67 year old man, in person, versus a forum like this. You must all feel so powerful now. what a joke, lol.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”