Lacrosse Analytics

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxreference

Re: Lacrosse Analytics

Post by laxreference »

A few games still trickling into the ole database, but here are some updated standings:

Updated Lax-ELO has Georgetown as our new No. 1, although they are going to lose that distinction if Cornell wins tomorrow.

The updated RPI rankings has Yale and UVA 1/2 and then a Big East logjam after that.

Sowers held on to his lead in the Statistical Tewaaraton table but Army's Nichtern is nipping at his heels.

If you want to relive any of the day's games, see the game links below. And buckle up for Michigan/Yale I guess?
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Updated list of Live Win Probability Links

- Villanova vs Drexel
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Villanova vs Drexel
- Brown vs Virginia
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Air Force vs Canisius
- Villanova vs Drexel
- Brown vs Virginia
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Saint Joseph's vs Penn
- Air Force vs Canisius
- Villanova vs Drexel
- Brown vs Virginia
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

CU77

Post by CU77 »

PSU win probability at 100% near the end until it suddenly plunges to zero!
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:39 pm PSU win probability at 100% near the end until it suddenly plunges to zero!
That was an absolutely insane game. The kind of game that win probabilities were invented for (not by me, but you know what I mean).
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Hot of the presses, here are the top individual statistical performances of the past week. No extra credit for goals scored after intense one-on-one battles to save the game for your team, sorry.

Here is the visual-version as well.

PlayerGame_visualization_20200309_v2.png
PlayerGame_visualization_20200309_v2.png (56.65 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

It may not be an especially hyped one, but there is a game today...

Cleveland State vs Mercer
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I just took a look at your RPI calculation at
https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-men-lacrosse
and i think you're doing it wrong. You seem to be computing opponents' winning percentage by taking total opponent wins and dividing by total opponent games played. This is not how the NCAA does it. The NCAA takes each opponent's winning percentage, omitting games against the team being rated, and then averages these winning percentages. Same for opponents' opponents' winning percentage; games against the opponent are omitted, but games against the team being rated are included. (Dumb dumb dumb all around, but that's what they do.)
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 am I just took a look at your RPI calculation at
and i think you're doing it wrong. You seem to be computing opponents' winning percentage by taking total opponent wins and dividing by total opponent games played. This is not how the NCAA does it. The NCAA takes each opponent's winning percentage, omitting games against the team being rated, and then averages these winning percentages. Same for opponents' opponents' winning percentage; games against the opponent are omitted, but games against the team being rated are included. (Dumb dumb dumb all around, but that's what they do.)
Was there a particular team or example that you used to check this? I believe I put in logic to remove the team being rated from the calc, but it's certainly possible that I didn't do it correctly. If you have a specific example, I can use that to double check.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

laxreference wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:33 am If you have a specific example, I can use that to double check.
Never mind, I can see the issue too. Think I know what the problem is. Working on it now.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Pretty decent slate today. ND/OSU is probably the biggest one in terms of tournament implications, but we are starting off early with North Carolina vs Bryant
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:15 am I just took a look at your RPI calculation at

Ok, RPI table has been updated. You were right. The games against the team being measured have been removed from the 2nd and 3rd factors.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- UMass vs LIU
- North Carolina vs Bryant
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

- Siena vs Fairfield
- St. John's vs Hofstra
- UMass vs LIU
- North Carolina vs Bryant
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”