Lacrosse Analytics

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxreference

Re: Lacrosse Analytics

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the top individual EGA performances of the past week. The full post is here, but here are the highlights...

Jared Bernhardt (MD) took home the top spot with a 7.12 EGA game in the huge match-up with Rutgers. If the Terps keeping throwing out these dominant quarters whenever the need to, it's hard to imagine a Championship Weekend without Tillman's boys.

Here is how the rest of the top 10 shook out:

Justin Coppola (NOVA) - 6.76 EGA
Jacob Griffin (RICH) - 6.73 EGA
Jack Rooney (MRMK) - 6.37 EGA
Dalton Young (RICH) - 6.13 EGA
Mike Sisselberger (LEH) - 5.97 EGA
Timmy Ley (BU) - 5.81 EGA
Zach Cole (SJOE) - 5.80 EGA
Adam Shea (HOB) - 5.78 EGA
Zack Hochman (MASS) - 5.76 EGA

Here is the infographic in case you want the visual view:
PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210315.png
PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210315.png (34.49 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Haven't done a deep-dive on a team in a while, but I wanted to get back to my writing roots. I went through several topics around the first 4 games of the Cuse season:

- The Rise of Rehfuss - he's made the full transition from initiator to all-purpose offensive weapon
- Scanlan is following his path - but he's not there yet; still, while the offense takes a short-term hit, it's probably more robust as a result
- The defense just isn't making any one uncomfortable: they have one of the lowest turnover rates in all of D1
- Porter has been good to great - The lack of turnovers has meant a lot of shots coming at Drake Porter; his excess saves profile tells a pretty strong story
- All roads are open - The Cuse season has barely started given that they've played just 1 ACC game; the simulations think they could end pretty much anywhere

Full post is here.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

laxreference wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 am Haven't done a deep-dive on a team in a while, but I wanted to get back to my writing roots. I went through several topics around the first 4 games of the Cuse season:

- The Rise of Rehfuss - he's made the full transition from initiator to all-purpose offensive weapon
- Scanlan is following his path - but he's not there yet; still, while the offense takes a short-term hit, it's probably more robust as a result
- The defense just isn't making any one uncomfortable: they have one of the lowest turnover rates in all of D1
- Porter has been good to great - The lack of turnovers has meant a lot of shots coming at Drake Porter; his excess saves profile tells a pretty strong story
- All roads are open - The Cuse season has barely started given that they've played just 1 ACC game; the simulations think they could end pretty much anywhere

Full post is here.
This is awesome. I have a question. How do endline races won factor in? Grant Murphy has won a number of those this season. He even tried to get a head start in the UVM game and his guy got open on the crease and scored. Obviously these only occur after a shot, but is this a turnover when he wins the race?
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am This is awesome. I have a question. How do endline races won factor in? Grant Murphy has won a number of those this season. He even tried to get a head start in the UVM game and his guy got open on the crease and scored. Obviously these only occur after a shot, but is this a turnover when he wins the race?
End line races would simply count as a stop for the defense. I'd love to be able to capture the fact that it was an end-line race and give credit to the player who won it, but that information is not captured in the game play-by-play in any standardized way and all of my data collection/analysis is based on play-by-play data.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

laxreference wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:04 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am This is awesome. I have a question. How do endline races won factor in? Grant Murphy has won a number of those this season. He even tried to get a head start in the UVM game and his guy got open on the crease and scored. Obviously these only occur after a shot, but is this a turnover when he wins the race?
End line races would simply count as a stop for the defense. I'd love to be able to capture the fact that it was an end-line race and give credit to the player who won it, but that information is not captured in the game play-by-play in any standardized way and all of my data collection/analysis is based on play-by-play data.
Cool, thanks!
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

As always, here is the top individual EGA performances of the past week. The full post is here, but here are the highlights...

Ryan Lanchbury (RICH) used a 3-goal 9-assist day to vault to the top of this week's list with a 6.99 EGA performance.

And here is how the rest of the top 10 shook out:

Asher Nolting (HPU) - 6.72 EGA
Jacob Alexander (BRY) - 6.71 EGA
Collin Hoben (HPU) - 6.21 EGA
Tehoka Nanticoke (ALB) - 6.12 EGA
Petey LaSalla (UVA) - 6.09 EGA
Dylan Beckwith (FFL) - 6.03 EGA
Richie LaCalandra (LIU) - 5.91 EGA
James Avanzato (TOW) - 5.90 EGA
Zach Cole (SJOE) - 5.89 EGA

PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210322.png
PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210322.png (33.55 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

These are the opponent-adjusted efficiency ratings for the ACC teams. 100 is the average for D1 MLAX.
ACCD.png
ACCD.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
ACCO.png
ACCO.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Jake Naso (DUKE) came up big for Duke against Syracuse on his way to an 7.89 EGA evening. Given the fact that Syracuse was the more efficient offense in that game, the possession cushion that Naso provided was the difference between a Duke win and a Duke loss.

Nathan Kapp (JAV) - 7.69 EGA
Zach Cole (SJOE) - 7.26 EGA
Jimmeh Koita (DREX) - 6.83 EGA
Ryan Tierney (HOF) - 6.17 EGA
Tommy Burke (UVM) - 6.09 EGA
Ethan Walker (DEN) - 5.82 EGA
Owen Corry (NJIT) - 5.67 EGA
Brian Herber (HOF) - 5.48 EGA
Anthony DiMatteo (LIU) - 5.46 EGA

PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210329.png
PlayerGame_visualization_d1m_20210329.png (32.7 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Keegan Khan (NOVA) continued a strong season with a 9.70 EGA line against Providence. Connor Kirst left a massive hole in that offense, but Khan has filled it admirably.

Pat Kavanagh (ND) - 7.25 EGA
Brendan Nichtern (ARMY) - 7.11 EGA
Mike Robinson (DEL) - 6.60 EGA
Jared Bernhardt (MD) - 6.53 EGA
Mike Sisselberger (LEH) - 6.35 EGA
Petey LaSalla (UVA) - 6.35 EGA
Ryan Smith (RMU) - 6.34 EGA
Austin Deskewicz (STNY) - 6.15 EGA
Nathan Kapp (JAV) - 5.92 EGA

MLAXEGAWEEK8.png
MLAXEGAWEEK8.png (44.48 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I love stats so this is not a dig.

I would be trying to find a way to capture that the best performance of week was Joe Robertson of Duke. 4/3 with OT winner over #2 team. ELO basis of a win is a win poisons the well.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:20 am I love stats so this is not a dig.

I would be trying to find a way to capture that the best performance of week was Joe Robertson of Duke. 4/3 with OT winner over #2 team. ELO basis of a win is a win poisons the well.
He did have a great game. And I suspect you are right that if this list were opponent-adjusted, he'd probably have been at or near the top. Maybe there will be a future version that accounts for opponent or game situation.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Richie LaCalandra (LIU) - 9.04 EGA. Fair to say that LIU has fully settled into life in the NEC.

Mike Sisselberger (LEH) - 8.93 EGA
Mikey Sisselberger (LEH) - 7.37 EGA
Tommy Schelling (LEH) - 6.97 EGA
Petey LaSalla (UVA) - 6.96 EGA
Charlie Kitchen (DEL) - 6.79 EGA
Zack Hochman (MASS) - 6.52 EGA
Demitri George (QUI) - 6.35 EGA
Mac OKeefe (PSU) - 6.27 EGA
Tristan Dowd (SAC) - 6.14 EGA

EzWOAD8VkAgdr7Q.png
EzWOAD8VkAgdr7Q.png (89.83 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Austin Deskewicz (STNY) took the top spot (7.49 EGA) after a strong day at the x in which he also added 2 points for the Seawolves.

Ryan Lanchbury (RICH) - 7.30 EGA
Ashton Wood (MER) - 7.10 EGA
Christian Mule (LEH) - 6.97 EGA
Mike Sisselberger (LEH) - 6.70 EGA
Jacob Alexander (BRY) - 6.56 EGA
Sean Westley (STB) - 6.13 EGA
Zach Cole (SJOE) - 6.11 EGA
Nick Rowlett (MICH) - 6.00 EGA
Jakob Phaup (SYR) - 5.94 EGA

Ez58amoWEAQK-ST.png
Ez58amoWEAQK-ST.png (94.45 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Pat Kavanagh (ND) had a 9.22 EGA day and is inching closer to a Tewaaraton finalist invite. Among the final 25, he's got the highest assist rate and the types of goal highlights that make for great broadcast intro material.

Jacob Alexander (BRY) - 9.06 EGA
Jack Kiernan (SIE) - 6.98 EGA
Marc Orourke (BRY) - 6.80 EGA
Tommy Burke (UVM) - 6.55 EGA
Ashton Wood (MER) - 6.38 EGA
Tommy Burke (UVM) - 6.16 EGA
Brendan Nichtern (ARMY) - 6.14 EGA
David Closterman (UVM) - 6.12 EGA
Mike Robinson (DEL) - 5.75 EGA

WeeklyEGALeaders_202105031412.png
WeeklyEGALeaders_202105031412.png (97.02 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

laxreference

Post by laxreference »

laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Tommy Burke (UVM) took the top spot with an 8.12 EGA game after having the No. 5 game last week.

Jared Bernhardt (MD) - 7.39 EGA
Jakob Phaup (SYR) - 7.24 EGA
Jacob Alexander (BRY) - 6.95 EGA
Owen Hiltz (SYR) - 6.94 EGA
Zach Cole (SJOE) - 6.36 EGA
Mikey Sisselberger (LEH) - 6.22 EGA
James Reilly (GTWN) - 5.82 EGA
Dylan McIntosh (HOF) - 5.81 EGA
Bailey Savio (LOY) - 5.70 EGA

WeeklyEGALeaders_202105101413.png
WeeklyEGALeaders_202105101413.png (90.36 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

I wanted to take a look at how the Cavs managed to win the national title and lose twice to Syracuse. I think the best answer is probably just...Connor Shellenberger.

Here's the full post.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”