Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by oldbartman »

LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 pm Our first class of '22 commit. He looks like a solid 2-way middie.

https://twitter.com/CollinRovere/status ... 4288357387

https://twitter.com/CollinRovere/status ... 5041862661
Highlight video:

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Nice piece on IL about Hobart. The team and coaching staff are earning the respect they've been getting lately. Glad IL has taken notice of their work and performance.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... een-/56922
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A 2021 commit From Episcopal HS (PA) & Harlem Lacrosse. Coach Raymond and staff continue to find hidden gems.

https://twitter.com/AmpedLax/status/1314694411184418823

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ewKXAxSvE
TAV

Post by TAV »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:16 pm Nice piece on IL about Hobart. The team and coaching staff are earning the respect they've been getting lately. Glad IL has taken notice of their work and performance.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... een-/56922
All that’s fine and good; unfortunately, the “best” Hobart can ever hope for is an NCAA bid and a 1st game blow out. It simply doesn’t compare to back in the day - the late 70’s and 80’s...that was exciting! Underdog for the big games and Championships galore. I know, I know...it’s all about bring D1, I get it. But I lost interest years ago for my underdog...UNC. I do have fond memories of when Hobart beat Carolina in 1983 - doesn’t get much better than that....
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TAV. You're entitled to you opinion. Disagree on the outcome. Not sure if you're a fan or an alum. But, you have to admit Coach Raymond has turned the program around and is on the rise. Good luck to you Heels this season. Yes, there will be a season..
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Agree with Oldbartman
Coach Raymond has the program on the right track
It took him a number of years to get his feet under him and mature into a head coach. Brundage instead of Poillion is a strong move forward as well, much more interesting offensive sets.

Tav you are probably right as well
It will be tough to get past that 1st round game against fully funded high powered programs
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

TAV, lacrosse is not that predictable. If Bryant can make a run, so can we. Raymond is a recruiting genius. He recruits for character as much as talent, and that is building strong recruiting networks that will continue to pay off in the future. Respect to TW Johnson who also followed that pattern. As we get back into central NY, poach from Cornell and SU, and build some links in the Native American community, we'll get into later rounds.
BTW, I think today is first full team practice. COVID cases low on campus ... just 3 right now.
This is a good team, and the ability of teams to thrive in the adversity of COVID will directly impact results in the next two years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For anyone needing a fix, rosters have limited FR bios up now. Good size overall. Nice to have three D men with a min of 6’. Ward has a body like Jeff Colburns (actually more meat than Colburn had coming into college) but I have to wonder how nearly two years off will impact him as he missed a chunk of Jr yr to injury then Covid last year. Didn’t realize Durkin was that tall (6’2”) assumed he was built like Archer for no particular reason other than that they went to same HS and were equally prolific.

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Out of boredom and lots can and will change next few months but I’m going to speculate on lineups and would be interested in others thoughts.

1st Attack
Archer
Knox
Mott/Grooms

2nd attack line and EMO guys:
Mott/Grooms
Durkin
Barthelme

Battling would be Ward, Lampert,Dattellas and maybe Yanko

1st Midfield
Madonna
Herlihy
Mitrow (if healthy)/Simas

2nd mid
Mitrow/Simas
Romm
Baltzer

3rd mid
Meite
Davis
Delaney
Bach
Hochheimer
Sampson

FO
Shea/Blanchard

LSM
Ryan
Hurley
Trujillo
EBF
Imburgia
Ballo

D (Easy)
Christiansen
Delpha
Mueller

Then

Nalen
Synnott
Horton
Freshman

Goalie
Holtby
White
FR

In this scenario the second line attack would have a bit more size than the first, especially if you have Archer and Grooms w Knox, different if it’s Mott.

Midfield looks ready to run three deep if the coaches want to run that many guys which they’ve been hit or miss in in the past. The first line is pretty explosive and athletic even though none are really “traditional“ alley dodger shooters, maybe Madonna to a degree, but they move off ball and cut and can pass. Simas can have blinders at times looking like Taylor VanderBeek but high energy and physical. The potential for the next 5-7 guys is very high, especially if any of the FR are ready to contribute. Think Romm and Baltzer will be important pieces in the future both looked good doing their jobs last year, Baltzer on the wing and Romm not backing down from some trash talking Cuse seniors.

LSM is interesting in that we have more good players than opportunity it seems. EBF is very good and he seems to be falling off. Trujillo has serious potential and Dan Ryan and Hurley are known quantities. Close D has more bodies too as Nalen could easily start but probably won’t if Mueller is healthy.

Assuming for now Holtby is our guy this year at goalie unless one of these FR is a stud out of the gate, having such quality experience at close D and LSM helps.

Shouldn’t forget Sherman who’ll be a great SSDM this year, I think as good as Stanny or Smalley. Big question at #2 SSdM but I think we’ve got the personnel to fill that.

Seems to largely come down to how effective the third attack person can be and settling in at goalie.
See Martin, Malcolm
TAV

Post by TAV »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:59 pm TAV, lacrosse is not that predictable. If Bryant can make a run, so can we. Raymond is a recruiting genius. He recruits for character as much as talent, and that is building strong recruiting networks that will continue to pay off in the future. Respect to TW Johnson who also followed that pattern. As we get back into central NY, poach from Cornell and SU, and build some links in the Native American community, we'll get into later rounds.
BTW, I think today is first full team practice. COVID cases low on campus ... just 3 right now.
This is a good team, and the ability of teams to thrive in the adversity of COVID will directly impact results in the next two years.
I think Raymond is doing a great job and has the potential bring the program to it’s top D1 form; that being said, given the Conference they’re in, they will never be seeded and in all likelihood be playing a 1-5 seed. As an alum from back in the glory years, I just can’t get excited about that...it’s me, I get it. I’ve been a UNC fan for the past 15 years and follow the ACC in detail. Look at the difference in inter-conference play...there’s just no comparison. Sad, but true.

As far as Lax being unpredictable - very true - Carolina in ‘16 - they were the ultimate underdog, BUT they talented and toughened by the competition - they knew what it took to play elite lax against elite competition and caught lightening in a bottle that year. You gotta admit, THAT was a good run. Hobart just isn’t gonna be able to do that - maybe, maybe maybe a 1st round win and at the end of the year, maybe a top 10 team.

The NCAA makes the State and Federal governments look like well oiled machines - they so messed up every which way, but the fantasy would be that they drop the lower tier D1 programs (30-35) and build up a real D2 Div. Hobart belongs in a revamped D2, not D1 and not D3. That’s what needs to happen - it never will.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

A 1st round win and top ten ranking would be perhaps the most remarkable accomplishment in D1 in the past 50yrs. It’s achievable if not expected. Competition is the goal, look at the attitudes by a bunch of non playing alums in Baltimore when not in the final four regularly.

But, realistically, with this NY heavy schedule last couple of years even a first round win might not get us above 15-16. As much progress as Raymond has made the schedule has been pretty diluted the last couple of years. Hard for dangerous teams to pick up non top 5-6 opponents as the risk/reward is low, but bringing back a Bucknell or GTown would be tremendous.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 pm Out of boredom and lots can and will change next few months but I’m going to speculate on lineups and would be interested in others thoughts.

1st Attack
Archer
Knox
Mott/Grooms

Mott/Grooms
Durkin
Barthelme

1st Midfield
Madonna
Herlihy

2nd mid
Mitrow/Simas
Romm
Baltzer

3rd mid
Meite
Davis
Delaney
Bach
Hochheimer
Sampson

FO
Shea/Blanchard

LSM
Ryan
Hurley
Trujillo
EBF
Imburgia
Ballo

D (Easy)
Christiansen
Delpha
Mueller

Then

Nalen
Synnott
Horton
Freshman

Goalie
Holtby
White
FR

In this scenario the second line attack would have a bit more size than the first, especially if you have Archer and Grooms w Knox, different if it’s Mott.

Midfield looks ready to run three deep if the coaches want to run that many guys which they’ve been hit or miss in in the past. The first line is pretty explosive and athletic even though none are really “traditional“ alley dodger shooters, maybe Madonna to a degree, but they move off ball and cut and can pass. Simas can have blinders at times looking like Taylor VanderBeek but high energy and physical. The potential for the next 5-7 guys is very high, especially if any of the FR are ready to contribute. Think Romm and Baltzer will be important pieces in the future both looked good doing their jobs last year, Baltzer on the wing and Romm not backing down from some trash talking Cuse seniors.

LSM is interesting in that we have more good players than opportunity it seems. EBF is very good and he seems to be falling off. Trujillo has serious potential and Dan Ryan and Hurley are known quantities. Close D has more bodies too as Nalen could easily start but probably won’t if Mueller is healthy.

Assuming for now Holtby is our guy this year at goalie unless one of these FR is a stud out of the gate, having such quality experience at close D and LSM helps.

Shouldn’t forget Sherman who’ll be a great SSDM this year, I think as good as Stanny or Smalley. Big question at #2 SSdM but I think we’ve got the personnel to fill that.

Seems to largely come down to how effective the third attack person can be and settling in at goalie.
Would be surprised if anyone but Hobart or St. Joe’s wins the NEC over the next 4 years
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Wylie Sherman is a gamer , tough competitor, if he stays healthy and can go full tilt , he’ll be a big factor both ends of the field
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:42 pm Out of boredom and lots can and will change next few months but I’m going to speculate on lineups and would be interested in others thoughts.

1st Attack
Archer
Knox
Mott/Grooms

Mott/Grooms
Durkin
Barthelme

1st Midfield
Madonna
Herlihy

2nd mid
Mitrow/Simas
Romm
Baltzer

3rd mid
Meite
Davis
Delaney
Bach
Hochheimer
Sampson

FO
Shea/Blanchard

LSM
Ryan
Hurley
Trujillo
EBF
Imburgia
Ballo

D (Easy)
Christiansen
Delpha
Mueller

Then

Nalen
Synnott
Horton
Freshman

Goalie
Holtby
White
FR

Would be surprised if anyone but Hobart or St. Joe’s wins the NEC over the next 4 years
Can’t count our Bryant. Took in some strong transfers this offseason as well
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Laxfactor just posted this up:

https://youtu.be/NKjCscXTVUI
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxfan1234 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 am Laxfactor just posted this up:

https://youtu.be/NKjCscXTVUI
Not very complimentary to our defense............. :oops:
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

There is a possibility Hobart can continue to climb up the D1 ladder. It will take some time for that to happen but it is possible.

A buy in from the Board and Administration, without any question....while it would be good to receive more funds, if the Board and Administration can at least let Raymond know they are on the same page in growing the program based on success, it would be light years ahead of where we were.

Raymond stays at Hobart-he has shown a remarkable ability to grow, learn and recruit with what he has to work with...his level of experience will only get better as will his coaching...continue to make inroads in recruiting and more importantly, player development. (this is the quality, outstanding coaches have). This will all bring success and if point 1 is observed bring added loyalty from the board/admin.

Improve the schedule...will not happen instantly...with a road map of success, adding quality opponents over time is doable....thought the 1st 2 points must happen.

Successful organizations have a plan to grow, Hobart cannot haphazardly make changes for short term gratification...all things need to be planned out, executed according to the plan.

Easier said then done....however the area, alumni all want this, there is no doubt about it.....a small school being able to successfully compete at the D1 level brings Hobart College great recognition...getting on TV is very important, allows the Coaches, Administration to tell the Hobart College story of the fight, determination, problem-solving etc.....this is free TV advertising on a national stage, can't stress enough how valuable this is...Would be a great story to tell and it is doable under the right people.
TAV

Post by TAV »

shoothi wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm There is a possibility Hobart can continue to climb up the D1 ladder. It will take some time for that to happen but it is possible.

A buy in from the Board and Administration, without any question....while it would be good to receive more funds, if the Board and Administration can at least let Raymond know they are on the same page in growing the program based on success, it would be light years ahead of where we were.

Raymond stays at Hobart-he has shown a remarkable ability to grow, learn and recruit with what he has to work with...his level of experience will only get better as will his coaching...continue to make inroads in recruiting and more importantly, player development. (this is the quality, outstanding coaches have). This will all bring success and if point 1 is observed bring added loyalty from the board/admin.

Improve the schedule...will not happen instantly...with a road map of success, adding quality opponents over time is doable....thought the 1st 2 points must happen.

Successful organizations have a plan to grow, Hobart cannot haphazardly make changes for short term gratification...all things need to be planned out, executed according to the plan.

Easier said then done....however the area, alumni all want this, there is no doubt about it.....a small school being able to successfully compete at the D1 level brings Hobart College great recognition...getting on TV is very important, allows the Coaches, Administration to tell the Hobart College story of the fight, determination, problem-solving etc.....this is free TV advertising on a national stage, can't stress enough how valuable this is...Would be a great story to tell and it is doable under the right people.
Yeah, there’s a possibility. It’s also a possibility that monkeys will fly out of my rear end!

As an alum with fond memories of Hobart Lax “back in the day”, I’ll always wish the team much success.

Lax is a niche sport and any “exposure” is severely limited in the grand scheme of things - that will be particularly true in the years ahead where parents will have increasing difficulty financially justifying a “liberal arts” education.

D1 lax at Hobart really isn’t going to move the needle against schools like Colgate, Bucknell etc...

I know I’ve been poking you guys a bit - all is good. I’m heading back to the ACC and Carolina for the duration...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TAV wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 pm
shoothi wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm There is a possibility Hobart can continue to climb up the D1 ladder. It will take some time for that to happen but it is possible.

Yeah, there’s a possibility. It’s also a possibility that monkeys will fly out of my rear end!

As an alum with fond memories of Hobart Lax “back in the day”, I’ll always wish the team much success.

Lax is a niche sport and any “exposure” is severely limited in the grand scheme of things - that will be particularly true in the years ahead where parents will have increasing difficulty financially justifying a “liberal arts” education.

D1 lax at Hobart really isn’t going to move the needle against schools like Colgate, Bucknell etc...

I know I’ve been poking you guys a bit - all is good. I’m heading back to the ACC and Carolina for the duration...
Please do... BTW Coach Raymond & staff have been able to recruit players that were focused on programs that "rate higher" than Colgate & Bucknell. I'll take our chances on making the NCAAs v the 2 afor mentioned.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”