Tweak the College Rules

D1 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: Tweak the College Rules

Post by River Donkey »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm I don't think it'd be so crazy, after a goal, to have the goalie rake the ball out of the net and immediately go into a clear. Similar to Basketball.
The point is, it’s not basketball.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

It's true. It's not. Nor is it hockey or soccer. But it has a lot of similarities to all three.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

The "leave the FO alone" argument in 2019 fails to take into account how much the moto-grip and flexible heads have changed the FO game since 2008 or so.

The "leave the FO alone" stance would be great if we could freeze it circa 1980-2005 when wing play strategy was integral to possessions.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Vintage article from Sports Illustrated analyzing the 1979 season in which the NCAA did away with post-goal face offs:
https://www.si.com/vault/1979/04/16/823 ... ontroversy
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

OMG Can Opener I completely forgot I lived through that mess.

Does anyone know the origin of the face off in Lacrosse?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:56 am The "leave the FO alone" argument in 2019 fails to take into account how much the moto-grip and flexible heads have changed the FO game since 2008 or so.

The "leave the FO alone" stance would be great if we could freeze it circa 1980-2005 when wing play strategy was integral to possessions.
First FO in Yale vs UVA, Yale (TDI) wins it clean, no wings
2nd FO, wings involved. TDI still picks up gb tho
3rd FO, Conrad gets ball. Pretty sure he doesn't line his stick parallel to the white line, up to but not touching......
4th FO Conrad gets ball.

it pretty much goes on and on like this. Wings involved in pretty much every single FO scrum. How many did TD, or Lasalla for that matter, win cleanly to themselves? Out of the total 25 fo, not many.
But, like Lance Gunderson (Armstrong) and the weirdness that is bike racing, if everyone is using steroids (flexible heads), what difference does it make?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I love the way the college game is. LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Stop! I like nothing more than knowing when the score is up by 3 with 2 minutes left that a FOGO can go off and change the game and tie or still win. Without FOGOS this game is basketball or worse soccer. Which everyone hates! Why Watch a soccer game once a team is up by 2. Soccer sucks!

The only changes I would make
1. Wings can go after ball even during the scrum
2. FOGOS have to stay on until score or change of possession.

I have a FOGO son. They are just as if not more athletic. The time dedicated to the craft is real. It’s a real position with a real out come. You can’t get rid of face off without getting rid of goalie

TD Ierland is great to watch. We should support his abilities.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Surfs_Up wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:18 am Without FOGOS this game is basketball or worse soccer. Which everyone hates! Why Watch a soccer game once a team is up by 2. Soccer sucks!
Ummm right, that's why nobody watches the soccer World Cup, and why there are no professional soccer leagues in Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico or the U.S.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

From our box brethren:

Contesting the Ball on the Faceoff - The two players must contest the ball when the Official blows the whistle. The ball must come out of the dotted circle. You may not trap, clamp, or dead stick (clamp or trap and not move your stick) the ball with the intent to withhold play inside or outside of the dotted circle or the opponent’s stick or body. Any ‘overclamp’ which is a stick clamping on top of the original clamp is a violation. The ball shall be awarded to the non-offending team
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am
Surfs_Up wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:18 am Without FOGOS this game is basketball or worse soccer. Which everyone hates! Why Watch a soccer game once a team is up by 2. Soccer sucks!
Ummm right, that's why nobody watches the soccer World Cup, and why there are no professional soccer leagues in Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico or the U.S.
Soccer would be a better game if there was no off-sides and you could use your hands to throw the ball. Also, all fouls should result in a penalty kick and fouls in the box should result in 2 PKs!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

actually been an advocate for no offsides for a long time.
pk's -- takedowns on the dot, all others from the 18, including extra session.
VAR should be used for ball-in-goal discrepencies and to throw yellows on exaggerated flopping only.
overtime one player is taken off every 5 minutes instead of pk's.
depending on how these rules go, discuss widening the goal a few feet.

soccer czar.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 am actually been an advocate for no offsides for a long time.
pk's -- takedowns on the dot, all others from the 18, including extra session.
VAR should be used for ball-in-goal discrepencies and to throw yellows on exaggerated flopping only.
overtime one player is taken off every 5 minutes instead of pk's.
depending on how these rules go, discuss widening the goal a few feet.

soccer czar.
I don't like the VAR. I would only use goal line technology. I don't like how it stops the game. It is anti-soccer.... How about adding no over and back and, while we are at it, put in a 90 second shot clock after the team crosses midfield!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ok, so the purists will never go for the offsides or widening the goals for the casual fan like me.
but the others stand.

also, someone writhing on the ground, when ref returns... place the ball down within one yard of player and you have 10 seconds after opponent is 10 yards away and it's a live ball.
also, as long as we're changing rules on a lax thread, all kickoffs are faceoffs.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 am ok, so the purists will never go for the offsides or widening the goals for the casual fan like me.
but the others stand.

also, someone writhing on the ground, when ref returns... place the ball down within one yard of player and you have 10 seconds after opponent is 10 yards away and it's a live ball.
also, as long as we're changing rules on a lax thread, all kickoffs are faceoffs.
:D
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 am I don't like the VAR. I would only use goal line technology. I don't like how it stops the game. It is anti-soccer....
I agree, it causes too many delays in a sport known for its continuous action. While the intention of VAR was to overturn egregious, clear refereeing mistakes, the result has been to take the intentionality out of the handball rule, especially in the penalty area. Maybe England's Premier League will get VAR right, but... Okay, lacrosse, lacrosse, I don't like last season's new dive rule, but am happy with the shot clock and keeping face offs.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hope the rules committee is not watching the PLL ASG. 2nd qtr no FO. Goalie just picks up the ball to clear after a goal. 3rd qtr their going drop the ball at the FO like hockey

PLL can’t decide what sport they are playing. Let’s wear soccer type uniforms, shortening the field and now let’s act like NBA and NHL
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:17 am Hope the rules committee is not watching the PLL ASG. 2nd qtr no FO. Goalie just picks up the ball to clear after a goal. 3rd qtr their going drop the ball at the FO like hockey

PLL can’t decide what sport they are playing. Let’s wear soccer type uniforms, shortening the field and now let’s act like NBA and NHL
That’s brilliant! Why wasn’t this thought of before? Different face offs during each quarter - traditional, clear, ball drop, and finally women’s draw.

Problem solved. Nobody’s happy.

Are people really watching PLL? I miss the game, but not so much as to watch that.
Typical Lax Dad

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:17 am Hope the rules committee is not watching the PLL ASG. 2nd qtr no FO. Goalie just picks up the ball to clear after a goal. 3rd qtr their going drop the ball at the FO like hockey

I like the ball drop! I suggested it here a few months ago! Btw, NCAA and NFL football have different rules as does NBA and NCAA basketball. College / pro Baseball also. I have not met anyone that has watched PLL games and not liked it. The "fight" was kind of dumb but that was one incident.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 am overtime one player is taken off every 5 minutes instead of pk's.
We do this in my youth soccer league. It's pretty awesome. Crushes PKs. Not even close.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”