Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am
SkipPass wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm Whatever gets you through the day.

Christine Fair salutes you and approves of this message.
Her and Doc B make a nice couple
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am
SkipPass wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm Whatever gets you through the day.

Christine Fair salutes you and approves of this message.
Her and Doc B make a nice couple

:lol:
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Laxter wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm
Paterp wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:12 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 am
Henpecked wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 pm Brandau coming to CP. should be interesting

Disastrous for at least one kid if not two, that's for sure. Drew Morris (junior) has been benching for two years, and the kid is phenomenal. McNaney (freshman) isn't sitting for anyone...I don't think he'll redshirt (he's already old for his class). And Brandau (sophomore) surely didn't transfer to sit.

So you have three great goalies with years of eligibility left.

If all three stay, I'd be shocked. Tillman must be hitting the phones all day today trying to contain this - hoping he works it out, but boy is this hard to decipher.
Agreed. Cant afford to lose the freshman and Morris must be odds on favorite to start, That leaves Brandau odd man out.
Doubt Brandau would be ok with that after transferring in. Tillman must have some idea of how this is going to work out.
Doubt a goalie with a year of experience transfers in to not even have a chance to compete. Bringing in another goalie who has actual college level playing experience over 3 who don’t , just makes you wonder if Tillman not that confident with current options. It will be a battle for sure. My guess it’ll be brandau and Morris. I doubt Morris didn’t expect to sit on the bench last year. Kind of feel Brandau May have an edge with experience. Will be an Interesting Fall Ball for sure.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Justafan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 am If anyone thinks that Mcnaney thought he would redshirt or thinks he is willing to redshirt is crazy. And he isn’t old for his graduating class in the lacrosse world now a days but did reclassify. Which actually seems to be the norm and a lacrosse players redshirt year. This kid probably thinks he will start this year. Which is the attitude you have to have. And maybe he will or maybe he won’t. Who knows.

But Surprised that Brandau choose UMD with the two goalies that UMD currently has. Thought he would choose a place he knew he would play. It’s conceivable he never sees the field again because if this move.

IMO, if Brandau gets the starting nod, McNaney is gone.
If McNaney gets the nod, morris is definitely gone...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

reLAX wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 am
Justafan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 am If anyone thinks that Mcnaney thought he would redshirt or thinks he is willing to redshirt is crazy. And he isn’t old for his graduating class in the lacrosse world now a days but did reclassify. Which actually seems to be the norm and a lacrosse players redshirt year. This kid probably thinks he will start this year. Which is the attitude you have to have. And maybe he will or maybe he won’t. Who knows.

But Surprised that Brandau choose UMD with the two goalies that UMD currently has. Thought he would choose a place he knew he would play. It’s conceivable he never sees the field again because if this move.

IMO, if Brandau gets the starting nod, McNaney is gone.
If McNaney gets the nod, morris is definitely gone...

I'm a Loyola guy and have a vested stake in inciting dissent at Terp-ville, so take my words with a pound of salt. That disclaimer aside, whoever starts in goal at CP, at least one of the three is blowing out of Maryland. No way can a coach harmoniously keep 3 high-caliber goalies on one team. Just not enough pt to satisfy the competitive spirit of these kids. Sorry.

FORTUNATELY!!!!!, there exists a great Jesuit school not 30 miles away, willing unselfishly to do what Jesuits do best and that's provide comfort to the wounded. HMU if you are one of the three goalies and want out. Loyola has an open invite to you'se 3! Thanks.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Not sure how one can say UM has 3 great goalies, rather see 4 inexperienced goalies at collegiate level with all having good potential. Expecting competition to be open but instinct says Brandau will either start or split.

Going by grade, rising jr Morris has seen very few minutes to date, not sure what that means but had to be some opportunities during season. Miller role appears to be needed depth. Rising soph Brandau saw some extended game stints and given a postseason start over a rather good goalie so G coach obviously trusted his abilities . Mcnaney at this point is simply another ranked hs goalie with much to prove at this level. A year from now , a highly ranked Marshall from Calvert Hall arrives to compete

Dont care for overrecruitment but having 4 goalies on a top tier d1 roster is not excessive stocking.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am
Going by grade, rising jr Morris has seen very few minutes to date, not sure what that means but had to be some opportunities during season. Miller role appears to be needed depth. Rising soph Brandau saw some extended game stints and given a postseason start over a rather good goalie so G coach obviously trusted his abilities . Mcnaney at this point is simply another ranked hs goalie with much to prove at this level. A year from now , a highly ranked Marshall from Calvert Hall arrives to compete
While not officially listed, it is generally believed that Drew Morris red-shirted his freshman season. Last season's appearances for Morris seem typical of a Terps' #2 goalie. It was reported prior to the season that Morris and Dolan were in a duel for the starting role. One might note that Cameron Brosh, who had back-up appearances the previous 2 season, had none past season.

In the end, I think Morris's working a lot with the team this Spring as the #2 goale, and his 2 years on the squad give him a decided edge as the starter this coming year. I think the other 2 would have to really excel and rise up to beat him out.
Live Free or Die!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am Not sure how one can say UM has 3 great goalies, rather see 4 inexperienced goalies at collegiate level with all having good potential. Expecting competition to be open but instinct says Brandau will either start or split.

Dont care for overrecruitment but having 4 goalies on a top tier d1 roster is not excessive stocking.

Having 4 (or even 3) goalies is not the issue; it's having 3 GREAT goalies. And they are great, certainly good enough to start D1. You can say they haven't been tested in college, but coaches who know all three are in absolute agreement that all three can play today (Miller, I do not know anything about him). Is there any team out there with such a group? I don't know but happy to learn. I saw one team last year with two starting eligible goalies, and it didn't work out too great for one in the end...Burkinshaw left UVA.

I don't know any team which has two great goalies, let alone 3, but happy to be corrected.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ahhh PB, dislike using the word "great" until proven at this level. What I know about all 3 is that they played top comp in hs, all were ranked. Time will tell if they can be a Stover or a 45% stopper

Cooter, thanks for insight. Always a bit surprised that most d1's primary g backup don't get more mins whenever opportunities present. Would seem necessary prep
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am Not sure how one can say UM has 3 great goalies, rather see 4 inexperienced goalies at collegiate level with all having good potential. Expecting competition to be open but instinct says Brandau will either start or split.

Having 4 (or even 3) goalies is not the issue; it's having 3 GREAT goalies. And they are great, certainly good enough to start D1. You can say they haven't been tested in college, but coaches who know all three are in absolute agreement that all three can play today (Miller, I do not know anything about him). Is there any team out there with such a group? I don't know but happy to learn. I saw one team last year with two starting eligible goalies, and it didn't work out too great for one in the end...Burkinshaw left UVA.

I don't know any team which has two great goalies, let alone 3, but happy to be corrected.
but yet because of how players played (or were ranked?) in high school, you crown them above others. stirring the pot in the summer maybe is part of it here, but your take makes no sense. the opposite, in fact. there is an open starter spot in college park.
plenty of goalies were highly ranked in hs and college things change. nature of the beast, and that's especially true for goalies. high school games are not college games in the top 10. the ball is moving quicker on every pass, and every shot. often placed and disguised better. not to mention the myriad defenses (permutations?) college coaches love to employ.
these guys go to top schools to find competition in many cases, not to avoid it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:18 pm

but yet because of how players played (or were ranked?) in high school, you crown them above others. stirring the pot in the summer maybe is part of it here, but your take makes no sense. the opposite, in fact. there is an open starter spot in college park.
plenty of goalies were highly ranked in hs and college things change. nature of the beast, and that's especially true for goalies. high school games are not college games in the top 10. the ball is moving quicker on every pass, and every shot. often placed and disguised better. not to mention the myriad defenses (permutations?) college coaches love to employ.
these guys go to top schools to find competition in many cases, not to avoid it.

Are you saying there is zero correlation between hs play and college? For the goalie position, I think that's perhaps one of the most easily correlated positions, where to some degree of certainty we can forecast a player's ability in college.

Still, show me any D1 team last year besides UVA which had two GREAT goalies...I can't think of one, and I am not saying I am correct. I just can't think of one. Maryland imo had two excellent goalies in Morris and Dolan, but I am having a hard time thinking of one team with two great goalies. Certainly not three as will be the case with the Terps next year (then 4 in 2021!).

And sure, we will gladly take one of'em off their hands. We are a very welcoming school with the best neighborhood bar in America, Alonso's.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Whoever is in goal won't matter unless the defense gets back to Maryland standards. A respectable face-off group would help too. Right now, the Terps appear to have one proven 'plus' defender in Makar. Besides him, they seem a long way from the Muller-Young, Erhardt-Dunn type days that made (or at least helped) all goalies look good.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Are you saying there is zero correlation between hs play and college? For the goalie position, I think that's perhaps one of the most easily correlated positions, where to some degree of certainty we can forecast a player's ability in college.

Still, show me any D1 team last year besides UVA which had two GREAT goalies...I can't think of one, and I am not saying I am correct. I just can't think of one. Maryland imo had two excellent goalies in Morris and Dolan, but I am having a hard time thinking of one team with two great goalies. Certainly not three as will be the case with the Terps next year (then 4 in 2021!).

And sure, we will gladly take one of'em off their hands. We are a very welcoming school with the best neighborhood bar in America, Alonso's.
i'm really not sure you know what the term correlation means. just about every goalie on a division 1 roster had a save percentage somewhere between high 50s and over 70%. some clear better than others, some command a defense better than others. but you have a pretty homogeneous pile based on their "play". then you have all kinds of results in college.

again --- the point made is that you have absolutely no idea whether maryland has 3 great college goalies. no one is going to talk you out of that opinion, but it doesn't mean that opinion is fact. they've got 3/4 guys that have achieved to get into the position they are in. time will tell if one (or 3. or 4) turn out to be great college goalies. i'll bet maryland is hoping as many as possible.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

PB, UR1 of my favorite reads but the term 'great" is being too liberally applied here imo not only to the UM g candidates but even to the two UVA goalies mentioned. Get all HS AA and ranked but let proof be in pudding to claim more than competency. As far as correlations, noticed that top 20 players in IL n RR rankings had high probability of success but not aware one way or another about goalies who tend to be listed outside that range but Ill take a closer look in spare time. Know last class had success with goalies such as Ierlan who made mark in freshman year. Off top of head seems to be much competence at position in cage but great ones are not that abundant.Off top of head, 55% is probably starting line for that discussion though defenders in front matter
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:14 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 pm

i'm really not sure you know what the term correlation means. just about every goalie on a division 1 roster had a save percentage somewhere between high 50s and over 70%. some clear better than others, some command a defense better than others. but you have a pretty homogeneous pile based on their "play". then you have all kinds of results in college.

again --- the point made is that you have absolutely no idea whether maryland has 3 great college goalies. no one is going to talk you out of that opinion, but it doesn't mean that opinion is fact. they've got 3/4 guys that have achieved to get into the position they are in. time will tell if one (or 3. or 4) turn out to be great college goalies. i'll bet maryland is hoping as many as possible.

I always need to dumb things down for Hoos fans. :lol:

Let's make it easy. I say Maryland has three great goalies (I'd bet that most D1 coaches would agree with that claim, btw). All three rightfully feel they should start on a D1 team; I feel they have earned that right even in the case of one who hasn't yet touched the college speed (oh btw, the following year, they will have four quality goalies).

Could you point me to any other D1 team with two goalies (let alone 3, let alone 4!) that should start on most D1 teams? I'll take any D1 team with 2 goalies. And I am not saying that there is not such a team, I just want to know who is out there. Gracias amigos

(For my squad, we will have two very unproven and not that heralded goalies next year after enjoying the services of a superstar for 4 years)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:11 pm Whoever is in goal won't matter unless the defense gets back to Maryland standards. A respectable face-off group would help too. Right now, the Terps appear to have one proven 'plus' defender in Makar. Besides him, they seem a long way from the Muller-Young, Erhardt-Dunn type days that made (or at least helped) all goalies look good.
+1 on this.

All 4 of the goalies on the roster can stop shots. If you have an experienced group of defensemen in front of you like Duke did this past year, the best pure shot stopper will probably start this season. But if you need a goalie to coordinate the defense, maybe Morris's experience in the system will carry more weight. Makar is the real deal, but it was surprising to see Welding slip in the line up (O'Connell taking a long pole and playing close defense). Perhaps Welding was injured a bit. He's certainly mobile and has good size. Does Rahill move from LSM down to close with Ubriaco joining the team with some added incoming LSMs? Or does DeSantis make a move into the starting lineup at close. The Terps have a really good crew of SSDMs...but the close defense is in flux. IMO, how the close defense sorts out will determine who starts in goal.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:44 pm I always need to dumb things down for Hoos fans. :lol:

Let's make it easy. I say Maryland has three great goalies (I'd bet that most D1 coaches would agree with that claim, btw). All three rightfully feel they should start on a D1 team; I feel they have earned that right even in the case of one who hasn't yet touched the college speed (oh btw, the following year, they will have four quality goalies).

Could you point me to any other D1 team with two goalies (let alone 3, let alone 4!) that should start on most D1 teams? I'll take any D1 team with 2 goalies. And I am not saying that there is not such a team, I just want to know who is out there. Gracias amigos

(For my squad, we will have two very unproven and not that heralded goalies next year after enjoying the services of a superstar for 4 years)
and again, the bolded part is where you have an opinion formed, awesome. with precious little in the way of college facts to back it up. maryland is in the exact same position as every other division 1 team that's going into 2020 looking for a starter that hasn't done it yet full time. or hasn't done it "great".
i will guess that whomever wins their competition will be more than serviceable. maybe very good. maybe great. we will see.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Peter Brown. I am struggling with your question on which schools have multiple great goalies. You seem to think UMD has them for next year. I agree they were all great high school goalies, but most teams have multiple great high school goalies. If they weren’t great, they wouldn’t have been recruited at the D1 level. In terms of McNaney, he has zero college experience, although he had a great UA AA game. So before we start naming street signs for him, Morris and Brandau, let’s look back on the college careers of those great HS goalies who came before him. Let’s cap it at those who just graduated, so the 2015 HS class. Selected for that UA AA game were Corbett (no college burn to speak of), Klan (same, and a serial transferrer), Sells (also a serial transferrer, and owner of a .429 save percentage this year at Jax) and Stover (a legitimate stud). That’s one of four who panned out in college. I’d be remiss if I also didn’t mention Baretto, who was originally picked for the game but couldn’t attend due to Army duty. He’s also a stud, logging a % just below Stover’s 58-59%. Next let’s go to 2016. Kirson is .502, while DeMarco, Giacalone and Trowbridge have had basically no burn. By the way, Burkinshaw will need to beat out fellow UA AA DeMarco at Penn next year. Also in 2016 we had Pezzula and Goss, who couldn’t be selected due to their U19 duties. Pezzula was replaced at UNC this year by freshman Johnson and Goss went .500 and was second to last in save % in the Ivy. 2017 is Rode (a national champ but at .498, Schmidt at .487, and Morris and Cornell (both no burn). 2018 is Burkinshaw, who had only two starts but 24 saves vs Princeton, Fyock (no burn), Bonafede (no burn) and Ierlan (a legitimate .537). So what counts for a great goalie? All these guys were/are. In terms of schools other than UVA with more than one? How about UNC with Pezzula (was top ranked in 2016) and the frosh Johnson who replaced him? What about Cuse with Porter (56-57%) and Klan? And if Brandau is now one of UMD’s excellent goalies, what about Georgetown where he backed up McElroy all regular season?
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Comeonman wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 pm Peter Brown. I am struggling with your question on which schools have multiple great goalies. You seem to think UMD has them for next year. I agree they were all great high school goalies, but most teams have multiple great high school goalies. If they weren’t great, they wouldn’t have been recruited at the D1 level. In terms of McNaney, he has zero college experience, although he had a great UA AA game. So before we start naming street signs for him, Morris and Brandau, let’s look back on the college careers of those great HS goalies who came before him. Let’s cap it at those who just graduated, so the 2015 HS class. Selected for that UA AA game were Corbett (no college burn to speak of), Klan (same, and a serial transferrer), Sells (also a serial transferrer, and owner of a .429 save percentage this year at Jax) and Stover (a legitimate stud). That’s one of four who panned out in college. I’d be remiss if I also didn’t mention Baretto, who was originally picked for the game but couldn’t attend due to Army duty. He’s also a stud, logging a % just below Stover’s 58-59%. Next let’s go to 2016. Kirson is .502, while DeMarco, Giacalone and Trowbridge have had basically no burn. By the way, Burkinshaw will need to beat out fellow UA AA DeMarco at Penn next year. Also in 2016 we had Pezzula and Goss, who couldn’t be selected due to their U19 duties. Pezzula was replaced at UNC this year by freshman Johnson and Goss went .500 and was second to last in save % in the Ivy. 2017 is Rode (a national champ but at .498, Schmidt at .487, and Morris and Cornell (both no burn). 2018 is Burkinshaw, who had only two starts but 24 saves vs Princeton, Fyock (no burn), Bonafede (no burn) and Ierlan (a legitimate .537). So what counts for a great goalie? All these guys were/are. In terms of schools other than UVA with more than one? How about UNC with Pezzula (was top ranked in 2016) and the frosh Johnson who replaced him? What about Cuse with Porter (56-57%) and Klan? And if Brandau is now one of UMD’s excellent goalies, what about Georgetown where he backed up McElroy all regular season?

I heartily agree with the rationale that you need to be a great goalie (or any position, really) in HS to be recruited to a D1 program. But that’s where it ends. The slate is wiped clean and you begin again to prove yourself at the college level. It’s been seen time and again, superstars aren’t superstars once they step on campus. Now they are 1 of a roster of other HS superstars. It’s a tough thing for some players to handle. And to be given the UA AA accolades are not always an indicator of future performance. Stories have been told about Reeves and Spencer being under recruited. I don’t believe Bernlohr and Dolan were UU AA. It’s what the player does once he gets onto campus. The ego needs to be checked at the door. Easier said than done, I realize, and there is a difference between confidence and arrogance. A player needs to buy into the program, and the process. I believe miller red shirted his freshman year, not Morris. I don’t know know much about the talent level of miller, or whether he will be a serious contender this year. It’s anyone’s job at this point. Tillman and his staff look at all the qualities of a player- Behaviour on and off the field, ability, practice and work ethic, and being a good team player.
For as many reasons that any of the goalies should get the nod, there are undoubtedly as many reasons why he shouldn’t. A lot remains to be seen. Perhaps it will come down to who clicks best with the other players.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I don't take issue with the entirety of either reLAX or comeonman's posts, except again, I think the goalie position is one of two skilled positions (FOGO the other) easiest to predict success with when going from HS to college. Not claiming the prediction model is bulletproof, just that you have a good idea who can swing it in D1 from HS with the goalie spot.

Looking at the MIAA when Stover (McDonogh) graduated in 2015, it wasn't merely also Barretto (St. Paul's) whom people knew would do well in D1, but also Tim Trouttner of St. Mary's. All three kids were desired by every D1 coach out there. Ironically, only Charley (my coach, Loyola) made a mistake not starting Stover Day 1 (Both Barretto and Trouttner started Day 1)...he waited five games before making Stover the permanent starter (ugh, Charley, c'mon man!). All three players basically started every game from then on out and did great, in fact arguably the three best goalies in D1 in that four-year time frame.

On that topic, it might be hard to find 3 goalies from one HS league (MIAA) from one graduation class like Stover/Trouttner/Barretto who did as consistently well as these three did in D1. Here's another MIAA goalie irony: Alex Rode probably got more online and IL hype than those three did while playing in the MIAA, but smarter coaching minds always knew that Stover/Trouttner/Barretto were surer things (and recall, Rode only overlapped in HS with those three for two years, once as a freshman). I'd be curious if my friend MDLaxfan76 agrees with that...I know a few D1 coaches who do. Rode is great, but prone to inconsistency...I don't think anyone ever accused Stover/Trouttner/Barretto of inconsistency.

That all said, let me circle back to the original premise. I think all three Maryland goalies are easily starters in D1 and at a minimum they have two years of college ball left. Yes, you can say they have not been tested in real battle, but one way to get yourself acclimated is by playing, not sitting. There simply is not enough room on that Terps squad for that much talent for that many years, unless one goalie willingly takes a backseat and in essence abandons his original vision of himself as a lacrosse competitor. I do not see any other team with this much talent sitting at this position in all of D1. And wait til Calvert Hall's goalie shows up the following Fall!

Expect one to transfer at some stage. You shall see. 8-)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”