Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Nomofogo - the link you sent with the Dom Starsia article states that Eamon played on the Cornell team that lost to Hopkins in the '78 NCAA finals. Not so....
I have not yet checked but I'm 99.9% positive that he graduated in '77 and that his last game was the great blowout win over Hopkins in Charlottesville.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The point that you note is corrected in the "comments" section of the article.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Esmon in the title game against Hopkind in 77, after Cornell goes way up and there is a TO on the field, goes out of his way to run by the Hopkins bench to yell “ you suck”. Most teams he played against him hated him. Fierce and so good. Later I got to know him a little because our companies did business. Discovered he wrote poetry and was an amazing person. 9/11 I was watching tv and hoping he got out or didn’t go to work or something.

The only one of Dom’s attack picks I agreed with. Not arguing but Gait goes back to midfield; O’Neill and Mike Powell who I think is underrated.
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Yep, lost to Hop in 1975 in regular season play which corresponds with Eamon still playing with a wooded stick in the photo as a sophomore. Here is the 1975 schedule with results: https://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=859 Here is the 1976: https://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=858 and 1977 https://cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=857
Last edited by nomofogo on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I will re-post the video clip that briefly explains the undefeated 76' and 77' seasons in a memorial that Don Lee a Cornell football player and friend of Eamon put together: https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/reme ... mceneaney/
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The 1975 Cornell/Hopkins game filled the Cornell Crescent and the West Stands on the other side. The pictures of the game were used for many years as public relations for Cornell Lacrosse.

At one point, the record book estimated the attendance at around 15-20,000 for the game (I couldn't find the number in a quick search). The game was given unusual pre game coverage by Sports Illustrated.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

nomofogo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:54 am I will re-post the video clip that briefly explains the undefeated 76' and 77' seasons in a memorial that Don Lee a Cornell football player and friend of Eamon put together: https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/reme ... mceneaney/
Thank you #31!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 am Eamon in the title game against Hopkins in 77, after Cornell goes way up and there is a TO on the field, goes out of his way to run by the Hopkins bench to yell “ you suck”. Most teams he played against him hated him. Fierce and so good.
That’s hillarious !

Course, they were better than that as at least some players that day must have been part of the 3 straight titles.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Well Eamon was one to wear his Irish on his sleeve. Like an undersized Irish terrier he would challenge and bark at the opponents to get the competitive juices flowing on both sides. I heard stories that he similarly gassed up opposing football teams in HS. It reminds me of the old joke, an Irishman walks into a bar with a brawl occurring, he politely asks "is this a private fight or can anyone join". In fact another story is that Coach Moran was mortified to learn that Eamon was in a fight in a frat house on his recruiting visit (Eamon had come up on his own) When Coach Moran finally caught up with Eamon and asked him of the incident Eamon responded that it was the best time he has had and he is definitely going to commit to Cornell. As you probably know Coach Moran exudes irishness as well. And 10 Stone 5, Cornell won in 1971, 76' and 77' but not three in a row. Hop beat the 78 team in the Natl Champ game ending the streak of 42 consecutive D1 wins
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's some funny stuff, nomo, typical Irish (you allowed to say that anymore?). Unfortunately I was in the service during those Cornell dominant years and only caught one game while home on leave. Can't even remember who they played but I remember thinking that was the best team I had ever seen and Eamon definitely caught your attention. My old man didn't miss those games though, I got a whole lot of reports (pre media everywhere days) about Eamon and that team, the old man just loved him and his "nastiness".
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

"Eamon the Demon" was his nickname.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Eamon was a legend on and off the field, but the Cornell teams of that era were like All Star teams. In 1977, for example, Cornell had 9 All Americans, including Eamon and four others on the first team.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Agreed Another Fan, many all Americans but the feeling on the team was that we played better than our component parts.
Last edited by nomofogo on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

DMac - I know you are a Cuse guy...but while we're on the subject of those great Cornell teams, I can't resist; I recall that the '76 team trounced Syracuse in '76. I just checked a mug I have with the '76 schedule and scores: Cornell 24 Syracuse 6.
I know that Eamon worked as an assistant at Syracuse for a year or two after graduating. I've since wondered whether his presence had anything to do with the sea change in the Orange's fortunes?
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I can't resist either, I understand that if Dmac did not choose to serve his country that he could have ended up a Cornell recruit. Coach Moran contacted him as a potential player.
another fan

Post by another fan »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:06 am DMac - I know you are a Cuse guy...but while we're on the subject of those great Cornell teams, I can't resist; I recall that the '76 team trounced Syracuse in '76. I just checked a mug I have with the '76 schedule and scores: Cornell 24 Syracuse 6.
I know that Eamon worked as an assistant at Syracuse for a year or two after graduating. I've since wondered whether his presence had anything to do with the sea change in the Orange's fortunes?
I really don't know what brought on the upswing for Syracuse, but I do remember that before Cuse rose there was a time where some football players seemed to be using lacrosse for conditioning and off season activity. I recall seeing Joe Ehrman (sp?), who became a very good defensive tackle in the NFL, trying to keep up with a long pole.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DMac

Post by DMac »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:06 am DMac - I know you are a Cuse guy...but while we're on the subject of those great Cornell teams, I can't resist; I recall that the '76 team trounced Syracuse in '76. I just checked a mug I have with the '76 schedule and scores: Cornell 24 Syracuse 6.
No doubt having a person like that around has a great influence on teams and the way they play. You can see the influence G.Gait has on the way his girls play the game as compared to many other teams/players. Just running around playing catch with a guy like that and experiencing that attitude is worth his weight in gold. As to whether or not any of that had anything to do with Cuse's upswing is anyone's guess.
JFTR, Cuse has gotten it's revenge many times over for that walloping.
;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

another fan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 am
I really don't know what brought on the upswing for Syracuse, but I do remember that before Cuse rose there was a time where some football players seemed to be using lacrosse for conditioning and off season activity. I recall seeing Joe Ehrman (sp?), who became a very good defensive tackle in the NFL, trying to keep up with a long pole.
This was not the least bit uncommon in the days of yore though, many a college lax player hadn't ever seen a lacrosse stick prior to walking on a college campus. Many football players were recruited by lacrosse coaches back in those days.
DMac

Post by DMac »

nomofogo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am I can't resist either, I understand that if Dmac did not choose to serve his country that he could have ended up a Cornell recruit. Coach Moran contacted him as a potential player.
I'd use the word might there, I was a small and quick blip on Richie's radar (my marks wiped me off the screen real quick). Besides, if I had had any intentions of going to college and playing lacrosse I would have been shooting for Hobart, that was god's country and the mecca to me (was where I first saw lacrosse, made quite an impression on me to say the least).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”