Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by laxbro11 »

Sound familiar

"The Hounds shot just 7 of 45 in a home loss to Army. The offense is minimally invasive, and Loyola needs to find ways to get penetration, draw double-teams and get higher quality looks. " Quint Kessinich
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:35 pm Sound familiar

"The Hounds shot just 7 of 45 in a home loss to Army. The offense is minimally invasive, and Loyola needs to find ways to get penetration, draw double-teams and get higher quality looks. " Quint Kessinich
Yep. Quint is usually accurate in his assessments, and he is on point in this case. (The only thing he got wrong is saying we won the PL in 2012.) What I don't understand is why he even has us in his top 20 at this point.

Our last 3 regular-season games no longer matter. We have secured our spot in the PL tourney, and it doesn't matter what happens in the final 3. We should use these games to figure out what is broken with our offense and try to fix. Get some more players into the mix. Decker was getting some reps earlier in the season, but haven't seen him lately. I would start Sherwood ahead of #49 at SSDM. There must be others who deserve a chance. Taylor?

A new season starts in 4 weeks. We need to put all of our energy into getting healthy and prepared to meet Lehigh and Army again.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Something that got me thinking after the army loss...

does anyone that kids could potentially transfer out of the program after this up and down year? Obviously, limited fall ball, COVID and many other variables are factors this season but if i were a recruit whos already committed to Loyola, and i watch the games from this year, would i have 2nd thoughts about committing?

for my two cents, i believe the guys on this team all have deep bonds with eachother and that no one would think about leaving, or as a recruit to decommit. BUT, i do think that with a full year, one or two pieces to get from the transfer portal, this team can be very dangerous with virtually everyone coming back.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am Something that got me thinking after the army loss...

does anyone that kids could potentially transfer out of the program after this up and down year? Obviously, limited fall ball, COVID and many other variables are factors this season but if i were a recruit whos already committed to Loyola, and i watch the games from this year, would i have 2nd thoughts about committing?

for my two cents, i believe the guys on this team all have deep bonds with eachother and that no one would think about leaving, or as a recruit to decommit. BUT, i do think that with a full year, one or two pieces to get from the transfer portal, this team can be very dangerous with virtually everyone coming back.
Kids can leave for a myriad of reasons. But I doubt it. All seasons have adversity. This one more than most- it's a real weird year. Uop and down for many. But Toomey is one of the best coaches out there I'm sure these kids understand the situation. And there is still plenty of lax to play!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am Something that got me thinking after the army loss...

Kids can leave for a myriad of reasons. But I doubt it. All seasons have adversity. This one more than most- it's a real weird year. Uop and down for many. But Toomey is one of the best coaches out there I'm sure these kids understand the situation. And there is still plenty of lax to play!
I would bet that some would transfer out, maybe not so much because of lacrosse, but because of the lock down nature of the campus. This was their first time away from home and on their own, and they did not have the freedom that they expected. Especially when they see how other campuses are more open than Loyola. I wonder if that is why we see some freshman playing, that do not belong on the field. Keep them happy, keep them from transferring.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 pm

I would bet that some would transfer out, maybe not so much because of lacrosse, but because of the lock down nature of the campus. This was their first time away from home and on their own, and they did not have the freedom that they expected. Especially when they see how other campuses are more open than Loyola. I wonder if that is why we see some freshman playing, that do not belong on the field. Keep them happy, keep them from transferring.
Feel free to PM me about this because im curious on who you think should and shouldn't play
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We've officially hit lala land and Hopkins-level of fan-concocted bs.
Toomey's looking for answers, and looking for someone who can break down a defense and draw a slide.
Period.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 pm

While I see where you are coming from, I can also say with decent confidence that this isn’t the case. The 2 frosh on the field are there because the coaches believe they are the best guys for that position, along with the fact that they are current positions of need. I’ve been told that there are at least 4, maybe 5 of them that would be on the field (similar to last year w the 19s) if not for injury/lack of fall. Can’t speak for the 21 class, but I’ve heard similar things of the ‘22 kids. It’s always tough to speculate obviously without them being at practice, but that’s the case for this year.
I’m intrigued to see the goalie position this week. Who will be in there, how will they play, ect. Sam was off to a tough start last week, but I thought Whittaker came in and was serviceable. For that reason I assume he’ll be out there, but that’s why they play the games.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm We've officially hit lala land and Hopkins-level of fan-concocted bs.
Toomey's looking for answers, and looking for someone who can break down a defense and draw a slide.
Period.
Completely agree.

No one is going to decommit because the Hounds are having a down year, and if someone were that fickle, I don't think Toomey would want him on the team anyway.

I also can't imagine anyone transferring because of the lockdown policies. Loyola's campus may be more locked down than some, but it is less locked down than others. I am a parent of 2 current college students and both of my kids' schools have similar policies in place as Loyola. Also, how much sense would it make to transfer because of pandemic protocols when the pandemic is likely to be over by next fall?

Regarding the Hounds' performance this season, I'm disappointed like everyone else, but we need to keep things in perspective. We've been spoiled. Very few programs have had the success we've had in the last decade. And there is a natural ebb and flow over time. One thing I've noticed is that we've tended to struggle in odd year's, usually after a strong performance in an even year. We rarely have two bad years in a row. Take a look at the archives. There are many examples. Going back a decade, we failed to make the NCAA tournament in 2011, won the National Championship in 2012, lost in the first round in 2013 with the EXACT SAME team (minus Lusby and Grimm), and the got the #3 seed in 2014 after "everyone" graduated. Ups and downs are part of life.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:17 pm We've officially hit lala land and Hopkins-level of fan-concocted bs.
Period.
Completely agree.

No one is going to decommit because the Hounds are having a down year, and if someone were that fickle, I don't think Toomey would want him on the team anyway.

I also can't imagine anyone transferring because of the lockdown policies. Loyola's campus may be more locked down than some, but it is less locked down than others. I am a parent of 2 current college students and both of my kids' schools have similar policies in place as Loyola. Also, how much sense would it make to transfer because of pandemic protocols when the pandemic is likely to be over by next fall?

Regarding the Hounds' performance this season, I'm disappointed like everyone else, but we need to keep things in perspective. We've been spoiled. Very few programs have had the success we've had in the last decade. And there is a natural ebb and flow over time. One thing I've noticed is that we've tended to struggle in odd year's, usually after a strong performance in an even year. We rarely have two bad years in a row. Take a look at the archives. There are many examples. Going back a decade, we failed to make the NCAA tournament in 2011, won the National Championship in 2012, lost in the first round in 2013 with the EXACT SAME team (minus Lusby and Grimm), and the got the #3 seed in 2014 after "everyone" graduated. Ups and downs are part of life.
It's been a tough year, but we will be back...I'm bullish...

No fall ball...tougher covid restrictions that other schools (yes, that's truth)...no freshman in the fall, not allowing our sophomores from out of town train at the facility...the administration just didn't handle things well...not coaches fault...they were not making those decisions...it hurt chemistry and prep time...but that's over now...it is what it is...

As far as our kids and talent...sure, we could use a few new pieces and we will get them....but it's pretty hard to get in synch and win when your 3rd best offensive player misses chunks of time (see Joey Kamish) and we never had our best lineup play any substantial time together...let alone practice time...we have guys that can play...I'm bullish on next year...we have a very good core offensively (Olmstead, Kamish, Lindley, James)...those 4 if healthy and if given some time to practice will be very very good...

I'm bullish that with time and a full fall guys like Higgins and Lindsey (when healthy) will be good players...I like Seay...and we will have a freshman or two contribute....look, our core guys noted above are good...we only need to find 3-4 more guys to go with our top 4 and we will be good to go...I feel it

And I think our backend will be rock solid...

This year has been messy...I'm not shocked...

But the Hounds will be back...need to find a few more playmakers, need better luck with injuries so our key future stars stay healthy...

Good luck to the Hounds the rest of the way...it's an odd year.

Go Hounds!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Any word regarding Kamish and LeBlanc playing tomorrow?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Any change in allowing fans at their large outdoor venue?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm Any word regarding Kamish and LeBlanc playing tomorrow?
Both out for season.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm
Period.
Completely agree.

It's been a tough year, but we will be back...I'm bullish...

No fall ball...tougher covid restrictions that other schools (yes, that's truth)...no freshman in the fall, not allowing our sophomores from out of town train at the facility...the administration just didn't handle things well...not coaches fault...they were not making those decisions...it hurt chemistry and prep time...but that's over now...it is what it is...

As far as our kids and talent...sure, we could use a few new pieces and we will get them....but it's pretty hard to get in synch and win when your 3rd best offensive player misses chunks of time (see Joey Kamish) and we never had our best lineup play any substantial time together...let alone practice time...we have guys that can play...I'm bullish on next year...we have a very good core offensively (Olmstead, Kamish, Lindley, James)...those 4 if healthy and if given some time to practice will be very very good...

I'm bullish that with time and a full fall guys like Higgins and Lindsey (when healthy) will be good players...I like Seay...and we will have a freshman or two contribute....look, our core guys noted above are good...we only need to find 3-4 more guys to go with our top 4 and we will be good to go...I feel it

And I think our backend will be rock solid...

This year has been messy...I'm not shocked...

But the Hounds will be back...need to find a few more playmakers, need better luck with injuries so our key future stars stay healthy...

Good luck to the Hounds the rest of the way...it's an odd year.

Go Hounds!
First off fall ball does not make a season. With the losses to Towson and Lehigh, both teams played with more heart and hustle than we did. Army flat out destroyed us.

In regards to team chemistry There really is none. And I regards to freshman and the incoming class. There is a log jam. With players taking a 5th year. They lose. No opportunities. You would be foolish not to think that some of these players are looking else where.

I did speak with a Loyola dad last night. He did say that Toomey said playing time is wide open. His son told him that there are guys on the roster that should be playing over others.

Looking to watching the hounds in action. Hopefully there will be decent announcers.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:09 am Looking to watching the hounds in action. Hopefully there will be decent announcers.
Likewise. I love listening to Gunkel as the color analyst. I enjoy hearing his insights about the game as well as the info he shares from the coaching staff, and his sense of humor. I'm less thrilled about the play-by-play coverage in general. The absolute best is when Coach Cottle joins the booth. His game analysis blows me away. Haven't heard him yet this season though.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Must be lack of fall ball.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Embarrassing first half. Team looked unprepared. No heart or passion. Got to have a strong second half
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm Embarrassing first half. Team looked unprepared. No heart or passion. Got to have a strong second half
It was a stronger second half, but not enough to overcome that awful first half. Navy scored 3 goals on the EXACT same play. What the heck? They looked like instant replays. And this is a team we beat soundly 2 weeks ago.

Disappointing, but this game didn't matter. All that matters now is the PL tourney.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Didn’t see the first half. From the sounds of it, I didn’t miss anything!

All I know is we spotted them 5 goals. Won the 3rd and 4th Qs. But not enough.

At the end of the first navy game, I actually said to my Dad that Navy was gonna win the rematch.

Congrats to Navy on a fine effort and great game today. Love that the Hounds get to regularly compete against such a fine program and such class kids.

As a Maryland resident- Go Navy, Beat Army!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:20 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:02 pm Embarrassing first half. Team looked unprepared. No heart or passion. Got to have a strong second half
It was a stronger second half, but not enough to overcome that awful first half. Navy scored 3 goals on the EXACT same play. What the heck? They looked like instant replays. And this is a team we beat soundly 2 weeks ago.

Disappointing, but this game didn't matter. All that matters now is the PL tourney.
All games matter. It shows the heart of the team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”