Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by AreaLax »

Duke women’s basketball will not play the rest of the season because of the pandemic. Believe the men’s team has gone to playing only conference games
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:30 pm Duke women’s basketball will not play the rest of the season because of the pandemic. Believe the men’s team has gone to playing only conference games
men went conference only b/c coach k was whipped by Illinois. I remember when Duke star jay williams got on a motorbike a week after he was drafted by the bulls and wrecked his career. Not surprised there.

the big 10 coaches sound like this is going to be a go. You can read the Hopkins thread for takes of alumni like me who are not in the room. I'll leave it to the folks whose universities pay the bills in Rosemont, but athletics operates a different way there. they are there to compete in sports AND get an education not vice versa and there are major marketing/tv etc deals that while lacrosse isn't the lead dog on are still part of making the school $, I'm sure they want to play through. Most newspapers have cut their higher ed/non college football beat writers so unfortunately there's very little coverage on the kinds of debates that university leadership is having right now. at hopkins it's easy to see the school saying, lacrosse is just not central to our vision of the school identity anymore and why are we going to risk this.

I could easily see smaller schools where lacrosse is not part of any major marketing/advertising mix just saying all we have to lose in not playing is perhaps some kids not coming back.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:35 pm
AreaLax wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:30 pm Duke women’s basketball will not play the rest of the season because of the pandemic. Believe the men’s team has gone to playing only conference games
men went conference only b/c coach k was whipped by Illinois. I remember when Duke star jay williams got on a motorbike a week after he was drafted by the bulls and wrecked his career. Not surprised there.

the big 10 coaches sound like this is going to be a go. You can read the Hopkins thread for takes of alumni like me who are not in the room. I'll leave it to the folks whose universities pay the bills in Rosemont, but athletics operates a different way there. they are there to compete in sports AND get an education not vice versa and there are major marketing/tv etc deals that while lacrosse isn't the lead dog on are still part of making the school $, I'm sure they want to play through. Most newspapers have cut their higher ed/non college football beat writers so unfortunately there's very little coverage on the kinds of debates that university leadership is having right now. at hopkins it's easy to see the school saying, lacrosse is just not central to our vision of the school identity anymore and why are we going to risk this.

I could easily see smaller schools where lacrosse is not part of any major marketing/advertising mix just saying all we have to lose in not playing is perhaps some kids not coming back.
You weren’t surprised a player had a car accident and it irreparably harmed his career? What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It wasn’t a week after he was drafted. I believe it was the Summer after his rookie season.

He was nice. Really a bad decision.

Metuchen is a nice town. Nice restaurants were there. Bright kid.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

maybe one of the dumbest posts i've seen on here. will you answer what you're not surprised about re: jay williams? did coach k say he was bagging non-conference bc he lost (not a fan at all of coach k)?

what is it, specifically, about hopkins lacrosse players that make them students first vs athletes as opposed to other b1g lax players. i'm sure this one will be good.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:59 am

maybe one of the dumbest posts i've seen on here. will you answer what you're not surprised about re: jay williams? did coach k say he was bagging non-conference bc he lost (not a fan at all of coach k)?

what is it, specifically, about hopkins lacrosse players that make them students first vs athletes as opposed to other b1g lax players. i'm sure this one will be good.
Hopkins is the only university in the world apparently where they go to class AND play sports. No where else
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A really great way to understand what 06 is saying a lot of the time is to just not try

For instance, I thought he was talking about Big Ten student-athletes vs. the ACC, not Hopkins vs. the rest of the Big Ten. "Rosemont" was the giveaway. Do I care if that's right? Not really. Just gonna go with that.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:39 pm

You weren’t surprised a player had a car accident and it irreparably harmed his career? What the heck is that supposed to mean?
Agree, total non-sequitur; and, wasn't a Hopkins grad involved in a fatal dui? ZERO RELEVANCE here...
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I take this as very good news, hopefully it goes well.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2020/12/31 ... nents.aspx
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

So, they don't need to change the face-off rules?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 pm I take this as very good news, hopefully it goes well.

Big Ten has announced volleyball and wrestling schedules. Both start in January. The schedules I have seen are conferences only matches.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:27 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 pm I take this as very good news, hopefully it goes well.

Big Ten has announced volleyball and wrestling schedules. Both start in January. The schedules I have seen are conferences only matches.
Agreed. And by my estimates From what I heard, these schools/teams need to set aside roughly +2k/player for testing to make it through the season.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not relative to the past few posts and perhaps more appropriate for some of the politics threads (I do not go there) but I would highly recommend to anyone interested in some in-depth reading about COVID the fascinating (and extremely long) article just out in New York Magazine about the possible (in my mind always likely) lab origin of COVID. There have been some civil COVID discussions on this thread so I thought I would put it here, perhaps it is germane to future seasons being cancelled by future plagues. This article does not say much that many in medicine have not long whispered about but it is exhaustively researched, very balanced and a compelling summation of a lot of data. I am not privy to the NIH genomic analyses but, on a personal note, I do know (albeit very casually) Tony Fauci a bit and the article's take on him rings true. I like to reward this form of real journalism with publicity whenever possible. I do not agree with all of it, including some of the (generally very mild) political asides, but it does an excellent job in shooting down the spurious and disingenuous criticisms of this theory as a "conspiracy theory" and provides some new to me info as to who funded some of this criticism. Again, very long but well worth your time.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... heory.html
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Not sure what other teams are up to but looks like Jacksonville started practices according to their Instagram and inside lacrosse. Hopefully we see more of this!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:42 pm Not relative to the past few posts and perhaps more appropriate for some of the politics threads (I do not go there) but I would highly recommend to anyone interested in some in-depth reading about COVID the fascinating (and extremely long) article just out in New York Magazine about the possible (in my mind always likely) lab origin of COVID. There have been some civil COVID discussions on this thread so I thought I would put it here, perhaps it is germane to future seasons being cancelled by future plagues. This article does not say much that many in medicine have not long whispered about but it is exhaustively researched, very balanced and a compelling summation of a lot of data. I am not privy to the NIH genomic analyses but, on a personal note, I do know (albeit very casually) Tony Fauci a bit and the article's take on him rings true. I like to reward this form of real journalism with publicity whenever possible. I do not agree with all of it, including some of the (generally very mild) political asides, but it does an excellent job in shooting down the spurious and disingenuous criticisms of this theory as a "conspiracy theory" and provides some new to me info as to who funded some of this criticism. Again, very long but well worth your time.

Yes, this post would be appropriate in the coronavirus thread in the politics arena, not germane to this thread IMO.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:42 pm Not relative to the past few posts and perhaps more appropriate for some of the politics threads (I do not go there) but I would highly recommend to anyone interested in some in-depth reading about COVID the fascinating (and extremely long) article just out in New York Magazine about the possible (in my mind always likely) lab origin of COVID. There have been some civil COVID discussions on this thread so I thought I would put it here, perhaps it is germane to future seasons being cancelled by future plagues. This article does not say much that many in medicine have not long whispered about but it is exhaustively researched, very balanced and a compelling summation of a lot of data. I am not privy to the NIH genomic analyses but, on a personal note, I do know (albeit very casually) Tony Fauci a bit and the article's take on him rings true. I like to reward this form of real journalism with publicity whenever possible. I do not agree with all of it, including some of the (generally very mild) political asides, but it does an excellent job in shooting down the spurious and disingenuous criticisms of this theory as a "conspiracy theory" and provides some new to me info as to who funded some of this criticism. Again, very long but well worth your time.

thanks, pcow. and my 2 cents it's applicable to future seasons including this coming one in 2021.

plus i think ben reeves worked in a lab.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Thanks pcow - interesting read.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Practices starting, which is a good sign. I am still concerned but hopeful. Sources tell me the Big 10 is scheduling every team in conference twice and allowing team two non conference games at their home venues. Sounds a little selfish to say teams can come to your site but won't travel to yours?

Also hearing the MAAC is playing a conference only schedule of ten games, they have eight teams in the conference so it appears they will play three games vs MAAC teams that don't count for conference record then play the seven "conference " games determining the top four who will play in the championship.

Teams without a conference are going to find it difficult to get games.

Appreciate any other information about scheduling.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:06 pm Big Ten men will supposedly play each conference opponent 2x and play only 2 OOC opponents..
Yes, posted that BigX news last month..
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Just to give fans an idea of what is going on in Athletic Departments, below is information from a Penn State Wrestling Newsletter. Every conference is different but this is a good example of the challenges. Expect for teams to be shut down and games to be canceled. I remain optimistic but this is a stark reminder of how far from normal these times are.

Lets try to explain the Big Ten Covid protocol a little now. The Big Ten rule is if 7.5% of the guys in your testing pool are positive then your program goes on pause for 7 days. If you have guys who have already had COVID-19 then they do not get tested for 3 months which means they are not in the testing pool. The lower your testing pool numbers then the quicker you get to 7.5% and for us that is having 2 guys test positive. Once a guy test positive then the Big Ten requires them to be out for 17 days and they are no longer in the testing pool. Hopefully everybody is still following with all of that. There are also phases for competition and practice based on number of positives and it is as follows:

∙ Team positivity rate (number of positive tests divided by total number of tests administered):

o Green 0-1.99%

o Orange 2-4.99%

o Red ≥5%

∙ Population positivity rate (number of positive individuals divided by total population at risk):

o Green 0-3.49%

o Orange 3.5-7.49%

o Red ≥7.5%

Decisions Regarding Practice and Competition

Decisions to alter or postpone practice and competition will be based on the following scenarios:

∙ Green/Green and Green/Orange: Team continues with normal practice and competition.

∙ Orange/Orange and Orange/Red: Team must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19

prevention (alter practice and meeting schedule, consider viability of continuing with scheduled

competition).

∙ Red/Red: Team must stop regular practice and competition for a minimum of seven days and

reassess metrics until improved.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”