Ivy League Fan Policy

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

Ivy League Fan Policy

Post by xxxxxxx »

Yale no fans for now at outdoor sporting events while I watch completely full NFL stadiums. I can’t imagine being an Ivy League administrator, it must be a tremendous burden being so much smarter than everyone else. Olympics, NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball, airplanes, trains, concerts, movie theaters, literally everything else.

It is a complete joke, and really a shame for the players and fans.
livelovelax

Re: Ivy League Fan Policy

Post by livelovelax »

You haven't heard of the IVY variant yet? You are not complying with the settled science. Come October, we will see a mid term variant that will allow for mass mail in ballots. Then and only then maybe things will get back to "normal".
cutiger

Post by cutiger »

Absolutely ridiculous. Total disregard for the mental health aspect of all involved!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It’s about the kids. Glad they are able to hit the field this year. Not being able to play last year was probably rough on those kids. I am glad Yale officials have the players interest in mind this year. We all felt terrible that the players couldn’t play. They must be pumped. Looking forward to attending the UMass game!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm Yale no fans for now at outdoor sporting events while I watch completely full NFL stadiums. I can’t imagine being an Ivy League administrator, it must be a tremendous burden being so much smarter than everyone else. Olympics, NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball, airplanes, trains, concerts, movie theaters, literally everything else.

I hope things will loosen up. It's not quite accurate that no fans are allowed; no "outside" fans are allowed, but Yale students/faculty/staff will be able to attend games over the next month. Hopefully for the MLAX home opener vs. Villanova on Feb. 19 outside fans (home and away) will be allowed; the policy says it's subject to change and that's two days ahead of the policy end date so I wouldn't be surprised if there's an adjustment. Bottom line: this feels overcautious to me for outdoor venues but I expect the rule will be modified fairly quickly and even if it stays in place through the the announced Feb. 21 date, it only affects one home game. The important thing is that the athletes are playing. The parents and alumni fan base can watch that first game online -- I'm excited to see this team develop over the course of the 2022 season.
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:04 pm It’s about the kids. Glad they are able to hit the field this year. Not being able to play last year was probably rough on those kids. I am glad Yale officials have the players interest in mind this year. We all felt terrible that the players couldn’t play. They must be pumped. Looking forward to attending the UMass game!
yeah, with Yale administration it’s all about the kids. You’re delusional.

Would be nice to attend the Feb 19 Villanova game, but apparently humans (who are already otherwise still existing within the community) would be an unacceptable danger to the community to be standing outdoors at Reese and never having to pass through even a tiny indoor room. I guess those people will otherwise be enclosed in cells shut off from interacting with the greater community if they are not allowed to attend these outdoor games.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm Yale no fans for now at outdoor sporting events while I watch completely full NFL stadiums. I can’t imagine being an Ivy League administrator, it must be a tremendous burden being so much smarter than everyone else. Olympics, NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball, airplanes, trains, concerts, movie theaters, literally everything else.

I hope things will loosen up. It's not quite accurate that no fans are allowed; no "outside" fans are allowed, but Yale students/faculty/staff will be able to attend games over the next month. Hopefully for the MLAX home opener vs. Villanova on Feb. 19 outside fans (home and away) will be allowed; the policy says it's subject to change and that's two days ahead of the policy end date so I wouldn't be surprised if there's an adjustment. Bottom line: this feels overcautious to me for outdoor venues but I expect the rule will be modified fairly quickly and even if it stays in place through the the announced Feb. 21 date, it only affects one home game. The important thing is that the athletes are playing. The parents and alumni fan base can watch that first game online -- I'm excited to see this team develop over the course of the 2022 season.
👍
Typical Lax Dad

TotoketLax wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:04 pm It’s about the kids. Glad they are able to hit the field this year. Not being able to play last year was probably rough on those kids. I am glad Yale officials have the players interest in mind this year. We all felt terrible that the players couldn’t play. They must be pumped. Looking forward to attending the UMass game!

Would be nice to attend the Feb 19 Villanova game, but apparently humans (who are already otherwise still existing within the community) would be an unacceptable danger to the community to be standing outdoors at Reese and never having to pass through even a tiny indoor room. I guess those people will otherwise be enclosed in cells shut off from interacting with the greater community if they are not allowed to attend these outdoor games.
It would be nice.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:06 pm

It would be nice.
If there was any doubt that these COVID rules are utterly irrational, this policy should end the debate. Will any of those seeking to defend Yale’s approach in the past opine that there is any rational basis to this rule re: outdoor games?
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:21 pm

It would be nice.
If there was any doubt that these COVID rules are utterly irrational, this policy should end the debate. Will any of those seeking to defend Yale’s approach in the past opine that there is any rational basis to this rule re: outdoor games?
TLD supports this policy, maybe he can elaborate.

MDLax76 has also continuously supported the Ivy admin positions with COVId. He has not commented on these new Yale restrictions, but will be interesting to see if he still is in support of their approach here.
Typical Lax Dad

It would be nice.
I am happy the games will be played and classes will be in full session. What a difference a year makes. I am pumped like you are!
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Allowing Yale fans but not away fans is even worse, and yes I know many teams pulled this farce last year, that doesn’t make it any better.

So we are clear, our (Yale) fans are more important and clearly safer, so we will let them in and won’t let any of our opponents fans attend. In February outside in a large stadium with literally no chance of spreading anything to masked vaccinated people. We are very smart don’t question us, we know better than you peasants.

Hopefully it will change but as it stands it a disgrace.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I'm not sure we need three threads about why the Ivy League is sub-optimal, however, I'll contribute.

The Ivies are playing all winter sports, and have announced the beginning of many Spring sports. Cornell Lacrosse will provide an update later this week.

I agree with the mental health argument about sport. I'd encourage the league to make streaming services easily available so that students can spectate on line. At present, the transmissibility of the Omicron Varient has been well documented. While things may change, it's unlikely that they will change soon.

The Ivies have out-performed my expectations of allowing sports to go forward. Hats off to them.
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

faircornell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm
The Ivies have out-performed my expectations of allowing sports to go forward. Hats off to them.
I’m speechless. “Hats off to them”?

Why are your expectations so low for the Ivys?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

TotoketLax wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm
I’m speechless. “Hats off to them”?

Why are your expectations so low for the Ivys?
I'm a realist. The schools have been very cautious, and athletics are not a priority among many Ivy administrations. I noted my concerns in earlier threads discussing this issue.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

My employer has mandated a booster for all faculty, staff, and students. The reason? They're finally acknowledging that they cannot contain spread, so the booster adds a layer of protection for everyone on campus regardless of whether or not anyone outside of the school has even been vaccinated. The revised CDC guidelines on quarantines mean that even exposure to a positive person does not lead to quarantine. If you're asymptomatic and positive, you do not need to quarantine, either. If you're symptomatic, quarantine 5 days and then mask for 5 (which need not be in quarantine...because everyone on campus is boosted anyway).

They're contemplating a double mask/KN95/N95 mandate, too. The reason again has nothing to do with spread. It's about keeping the wearer of the mask safe. So if you're boosted and double/upgraded masked, the chances of you getting sick are exceedingly low.

So...if Yale is really concerned about students, faculty, and staff, they'd enact a booster and upgraded mask mandate; and they'd get on with normal business.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 pm My employer has mandated a booster for all faculty, staff, and students. The reason? They're finally acknowledging that they cannot contain spread, so the booster adds a layer of protection for everyone on campus regardless of whether or not anyone outside of the school has even been vaccinated. The revised CDC guidelines on quarantines mean that even exposure to a positive person does not lead to quarantine. If you're asymptomatic and positive, you do not need to quarantine, either. If you're symptomatic, quarantine 5 days and then mask for 5 (which need not be in quarantine...because everyone on campus is boosted anyway).

They're contemplating a double mask/KN95/N95 mandate, too. The reason again has nothing to do with spread. It's about keeping the wearer of the mask safe. So if you're boosted and double/upgraded masked, the chances of you getting sick are exceedingly low.

So...if Yale is really concerned about students, faculty, and staff, they'd enact a booster and upgraded mask mandate; and they'd get on with normal business.
Pretty sure they've done the vaccination and booster requirements. I'd assume that, at least during this surge, masks indoors would be required indoors and I'd be willing to bet they've made the 95's free to anyone on campus and ubiquitously available.

As to those whining about restrictions on fans for games thru February 21, sheesh, the kids are playing, so chill out. Their "mental health" will be just fine, their classmates can attend if they want, but very few fans for outdoor games in February in any case!. Anyone here really desperate to go watch a lax game on Feb 19 in New Haven, really?

But, if someone was asking me whether I think outdoor events, no indoor part, represent a risk for fans on the Yale campus, I really don't...though this omicron variant is way more transmissible, so I certainly don't think packed stands would be ideal...but stand apart, no sweat.

My hunch is they'll loosen up as soon as they're sure that their region's hospitalizations are declining fast, wave is past. And that really shouldn't be more than a few more weeks, looks like they already hit their peak as it is. They should have a good handle at New Haven Yale Hospital.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

While you all are debating this insanity, I will be at a local restaurant, in line with my mask on (only if required) and gladly take my seat 10 feet away from that line. Upon sitting down, I will take my mask off to eat cause I am comfortable knowing that over the next hour the variant stops spreading once I'm in a upright sitting position.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The only aspect that seems overly ridiculous about this is not reevaluating the policy for five weeks. Omicron, like the first wave, hit the northeast first and cases and positivity rate are already falling precipitously. IMO like they should take another look at this in 2-3 weeks. Having said that, for a few freezing cold scrimmages on 2/12 and the opener on 2/19 I'm guessing there would have been a maximum of about 250 fans. They're still playing the whole season. This isn't the travesty that some of you want it to be.
Typical Lax Dad

It would be nice.
Policy has improved since last year. I am happy for the players, aren’t you?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”