Re: Navy 2023

Post by NoLeft »

Will Coach Amplo get another year?
:shock: :shock: :?:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Burn the tape.

I've never seen such a total collapse of goalkeeping. All 3 Navy goalies looked slow reacting to shots.
I wonder if the orange ball/white background was a factor & if the Colgate goalie is used to it ?
Simulate that in practice before early season games in Hamilton ?
Shots : Navy 49 / Colgate 39
Colgate's goalie made 21 saves. Navy's 3 goalies combined for 4 saves.

The first 6 min, things were going great, then the wheels came off.
Let's see who wants to play.

https://navysports.com/news/2023/3/11/m ... e-run.aspx
"I am embarrassed by our performance today. The uninspired effort is my fault," said fourth-year Navy head coach Joe Amplo. "As a staff, we have to evaluate all of the decisions we have made and try to quickly adjust our course. Navy lacrosse should not look like it did today and it is our responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen again."
lorin

Post by lorin »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:14 pm Burn the tape.

I've never seen such a total collapse of goalkeeping. All 3 Navy goalies looked slow reacting to shots.
I wonder if the orange ball/white background was a factor & if the Colgate goalie is used to it ?

"I am embarrassed by our performance today. The uninspired effort is my fault," said fourth-year Navy head coach Joe Amplo. "As a staff, we have to evaluate all of the decisions we have made and try to quickly adjust our course. Navy lacrosse should not look like it did today and it is our responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen again."
Goalie is the least of your problems
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:59 pm

No doubt, currently its still the most stable position on the entire team.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:26 pm

Is it time for a coaching change??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Should totally go w Wray or Torpey…

One thing about Amplo, at least in the early years, he waived in a lot of kids at Marquette that would struggle at a service academy. To put it as kindly as I can. For all the hand wringing about Ricky, he had a lot more track record of success and just didn’t have the facade of cache that maybe Amplo did with certain crowds of the lacrosse world.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Hopkins and Villanova up next. The mids will be on a six game skid. Thank God for Holy Cross.
Hi to low

Post by Hi to low »

After HC comes BU and Loyola. If Navy lacrosse were a stock it would have been halted yesterday afternoon.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Forget this year. They have no talent. The goalies are fine. You can’t win with Arline shooting 17% and Skalniak shooting 18%.

Next year Amplo has eight 4 star and three top 50 recruits coming in. Talented players - 2 from McDonogh, 2 from St. Anthony’s, 4 from Chaminade, st Marys, Garden City, Seton Hall Prep, among others. These are elite players from elite programs.

In two years this team will be much more competitive.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am Forget this year. They have no talent. The goalies are fine. You can’t win with Arline shooting 17% and Skalniak shooting 18%.

Next year Amplo has eight 4 star and three top 50 recruits coming in. Talented players - 2 from McDonogh, 2 from St. Anthony’s, 4 from Chaminade, st Marys, Garden City, Seton Hall Prep, among others. These are elite players from elite programs.

I am so sick of hearing of 4/5 star players, hear the same crap from Navy every year, do you not have 4//5 stars on roster right now?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:01 am Hopkins and Villanova up next. The mids will be on a six game skid. Thank God for Holy Cross.
Actually, I wouldn’t even say that about Holy Cross right now. They actually looked decent against Lehigh in the First Half and were competitive.
smoova

Post by smoova »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:25 am
Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am Forget this year. They have no talent. The goalies are fine. You can’t win with Arline shooting 17% and Skalniak shooting 18%.

I am so sick of hearing of 4/5 star players, hear the same crap from Navy every year, do you not have 4//5 stars on roster right now?
After all this time, it's surprising that folks still put stock in that "3/4/5 star" nonsense.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

smoova wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:11 pm
lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:25 am

After all this time, it's surprising that folks still put stock in that "3/4/5 star" nonsense.
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I mean, that's who the best teams have. Perhaps if Navy isn't getting any results with them, they're not nonsense, but the issue is what's going on with Navy
lorin

Post by lorin »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm I mean, that's who the best teams have. Perhaps if Navy isn't getting any results with them, they're not nonsense, but the issue is what's going on with Navy
Cuse, GT, Penn has them also how they doing
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm I mean, that's who the best teams have. Perhaps if Navy isn't getting any results with them, they're not nonsense, but the issue is what's going on with Navy
Losing to other teams who also have them
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:11 pm
Well last time Georgetown missed the NCAA Tournament was 2017. Penn has been in the Quarterfinals the last two NCAA Tournaments. So they're two pretty successful programs.

Cuse didn't like the results they were getting despite having them so they fired their HOF coach 2 years ago!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldskoollax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:26 pm

Is it time for a coaching change??
Great question....here is where I currently stand on it:

Please no.

(i) It is time for someone to sit down with NAAA/AD and the Lax staff to figure out why we cant keep an OC on the yard for more then a few years, so that our players don't need to keep changing gears nonstop.

(ii) Hire an OC that actually wants to implement an offense that is at least in the realm of this decade. It's embarrassing watching our team run offenses that we teach to 5th and 6th graders and is extremely easy to scout.

(iii) This stagnant offense we run, compounds the entire problem b/c it cripples our defense & goalies in the process, to the point that practice will appear to be all buttoned up, then we fall on our face with a real opponent. You'd think Orsen would understand this coming from Denver. Maybe Amplo overrules the DC and OC and they are handcuffed.

(iv) IMO, the best OC potential we ever had was a volunteer assistant, Spencer Parks, but he was not allowed to do much more than EMO, and even that was controlled. The players loved the creativity he spoke about and wanted to implement, but he was shushed.

(v) Wellner was a healthy balance on defense, innovative and adapted nicely to the players in front of him. We pushed transition on defense and our poles had the green light & skill to shoot...think Rees and Fennell. I am not arguing he should have gotten the HC job, but do wish he would have stayed as the DC....his leaving set the defense back a few years and he was a great recruiter.

(vi) SA players follow far more rules and orders all day long over other schools, are often wound up a bit tighter as a whole. I believe our style of play over the last 10+ years has handicapped our growth potential. We never really broke out of the 'traditional' old school style of play. We only flirt with creativity, b/c we are scared to get in a position of where we are currently....losing badly. Point being, the game is passing us by b/c we have failed to get the most out of our players for all the aforementioned extenuating circumstances and those of Alumni and NAAA pressures combined.

(vii)By comparison, why does Army get more out of their players? IMO, simple.....Innovative, coaching stability/continuity for the players, and recruiting system guys. I've not done my homework, but it'd be interesting to see the NAPS/MAPS comparisons on rosters and how sees significant minutes.

If you wanna call BS, no argument here. How has firing coaches, transitioning new OC's every 2-4 years, not inserting innovation, and underutilizing talent for the last 16 years worked out? I'll add this for low the low hanging fruit posters....one sliver of greatness in 2016 and we were fortunate to have one of the top F/O men in the country that year.
~Livy
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:14 pm All 3 Navy goalies looked slow reacting to shots.
Watched the video this afternoon - while a L owned by the entire team the delta in goalie play was indeed significant between the 'gate tender and the Navy fire team.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Long Covid. It was tough on USNA overall & all Navy sports. Look how the wheels came off the FB bus.
This is Amplo's 4th season, but only the 2nd full un-disrupted season.
It's tough enough figuring out a service academy program without a disruption like Covid.
This is a team chemistry thing. The OC can't scheme out poor shooting.
They need to capitalize more on Arline's quickness re. ball movement & feeding, rather than hero shots.
FO's are improving. A hot goalie can turn this around, or even an average goalie performance.

Too soon to give up on Amplo. He has a winning record, overall & in the PL, & is 2-0 vs Army.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”