FanLax Rules

The forum rules are little different than lacrosse rules. You can read more within this forum. If you are assessed a penalty, this is the only forum you can post within.
MDlaxfan76

Re: FanLax Rules

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:10 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:21 pm If I recall correctly it was the grinding on it over and over again that resulted in you getting penalized, not the objecting to its usage the first time...the ref made his call, move on. At least that's how I see it.
He was penalized for using the n-word and then repeatedly justifying it because others used the word, too. You can get the gist of the events from his Penalty Box thread: viewtopic.php?f=275&t=1240. Back then, he didn't get it and, apparently, he still does not. Whatever...
To an unbiased eye, your response is laughable.

Others used the "N' word too?

Don't see "others" in the penalty box, if, in fact, what you state is true.

That others remain UN penalized.

yeah....it's me that doesn't get it......

Not shocked, coming from a guy who wished the death of a fellow human being. A usual occurance, in fact. whatever, indeed.
RRR, you literally just gave an example of the "usage" of the word by another poster in a quote with which the poster is clearly appalled...this 'usage' was deemed 'appropriate' by the Admin and like usage would likely pass muster as well...but as in the example I gave, if someone used that word applied to say Kyle Harrison the Admin's response would likely have been much different. Really not that complicated.

Why fight this fight? The penalty has come and gone, play on!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:24 pm RRR, you literally just gave an example of the "usage" of the word by another poster in a quote with which the poster is clearly appalled...this 'usage' was deemed 'appropriate' by the Admin and like usage would likely pass muster as well...but as in the example I gave, if someone used that word applied to say Kyle Harrison the Admin's response would likely have been much different. Really not that complicated.
He's bothered that CU88 used the n-word even though it was a quote and to demonstrate the terribleness of racism while... RRR is literally doing the same thing. The difference being that CU88 is quoting Tom Eckerle while RRR is quoting CU88 quoting Tom Eckerle. MD76, it's beyond silly...

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Added to forum rules within Unsportsmanlike Conduct
SECTION 4. No post-er shall:
d. Troll and/or commit other Russian 'bot and/or other Putinesque behaviors. A troll is someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground.
Bart

Post by Bart »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:31 am Added to forum rules within Unsportsmanlike Conduct
d. Troll and/or commit other Russian 'bot and/or other Putinesque behaviors. A troll is someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground.
This will be fun to watch. Good luck applying that one evenly.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:31 am Added to forum rules within Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Thank you and glad to see the the additional rule - as they say the proof will be in the pudding! Maybe we will see a return of our favorite NJ poster on the women's forum.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, it's begun to be implemented.

It will be interesting to see whether this impacts some of the other such stuff.

I tend to think is the by far most egregious offender currently in the box. It would be great if he actually changed post penalty, but I'm not holding my breath. Scorpion.

Have higher hopes for others, whether in the Politics threads or lax threads.

It would indeed be great if the forum became attractive enough again that njbill, and others like him who simply became disgusted, could be persuaded back.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:53 pm...I tend to think is the by far most egregious offender currently in the box. It would be great if he actually changed post penalty, but I'm not holding my breath...
And if he doesn't reform his posts, he'll go right back in the box. His current penalty is 16 days. Next is 32. Then 64, 128, 256... Eventually it won't matter if he's reformed because he'll have multi-year-long penalties.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:33 pm Feel free to suggest a specific such post when it occurs and we can discuss how 'ridiculous' it is specifically. Surely there will be some such to suggest. Not merely offensive, but actually 'ridiculous' as in obviously inaccurate. Misinformation/disinformation on its face. Ridiculous.

BTW, I've referred to such from left-leaning posters in the Administrative threads discussing 'trolling' and what IMO constitutes something worthy of a penalty and what does not.

For instance, IMO, a cartoon clearly intended as humor or satire, may well be upsetting to some, but I'm not sure it needs to be penalized. Unless it's based on clearly false information, ala "Russian troll misinformation/disinformation campaigns"; doesn't matter whether it's left or right.

But mere humor, with a sharp point of view, seems ok to me. On the other hand, if it's accompanied by rhetoric from the poster that clearly contains inflammatory disinformation and it's clear that the poster's intent is simply to offend and divide, then we're back to "Russian troll" territory. Warning then penalty.

Gonna be hard to administer, but important principle is to cut out the blatantly false, hate-filled, poisonous crappola.
Based on our verbiage (below), which can be changed, I really don't think this will be difficult to administer.

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct
d. Troll and/or commit other Russian 'bot and/or other Putinesque behaviors. A troll is someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground."

A cartoon isn't trolling. Art, comedy, and other similarly satirical pieces are just that, satirical. And, if the case arises, I think we'll be able to tell the difference between the n-word being used comedically by Dave Chappelle and less-comedically by Michael Richards.

As you're saying, and I whole-heartedly agree, this has little to nothing to do with right and/or left. This has to do with over-the-top, unverified, and inciting.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:33 pm Feel free to suggest a specific such post when it occurs and we can discuss how 'ridiculous' it is specifically. Surely there will be some such to suggest. Not merely offensive, but actually 'ridiculous' as in obviously inaccurate. Misinformation/disinformation on its face. Ridiculous.

BTW, I've referred to such from left-leaning posters in the Administrative threads discussing 'trolling' and what IMO constitutes something worthy of a penalty and what does not.

For instance, IMO, a cartoon clearly intended as humor or satire, may well be upsetting to some, but I'm not sure it needs to be penalized. Unless it's based on clearly false information, ala "Russian troll misinformation/disinformation campaigns"; doesn't matter whether it's left or right.

But mere humor, with a sharp point of view, seems ok to me. On the other hand, if it's accompanied by rhetoric from the poster that clearly contains inflammatory disinformation and it's clear that the poster's intent is simply to offend and divide, then we're back to "Russian troll" territory. Warning then penalty.

Gonna be hard to administer, but important principle is to cut out the blatantly false, hate-filled, poisonous crappola.
Based on our verbiage (below), which can be changed, I really don't think this will be difficult to administer.

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct
d. Troll and/or commit other Russian 'bot and/or other Putinesque behaviors. A troll is someone who uses over-the-top opinions or unverified claims to incite others, stir up controversy, and change a civilized discussion into a battleground."

A cartoon isn't trolling. Art, comedy, and other similarly satirical pieces are just that, satirical. And, if the case arises, I think we'll be able to tell the difference between the n-word being used comedically by Dave Chappelle and less-comedically by Michael Richards.

As you're saying, and I whole-heartedly agree, this has little to nothing to do with right and/or left. This has to do with over-the-top, unverified, and inciting.
I don't mean 'hard' as impossible, just the old 'easier for me if you do it' reality that it's not an easy task to moderate any such forum. It requires a certain level of patience as posters will surely test the edges of such. Those which persist and violate, though, do get a chance to reform, else penalties escalate. As they should.

I also think that the job does depend on other posters to report the most egregious issues for review, yet also be patient in letting the Admin ultimately make the call. No way the Admin can stay on top of things if not alerted that there's a brewing issue.

For instance, I think the issues previously discussed as happening in the Women's section may be more challenging to parse, though again not impossible.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:55 pm... I think the issues previously discussed as happening in the Women's section may be more challenging to parse, though again not impossible.
Agreed. And, as you're saying, people need to chime in.
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:45 pm
good stuff, huh? we are all slaves to our biases. and ironically in one sense, njbill is at present a casualty. who woulda thunk?
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:32 pm
good stuff, huh? we are all slaves to our biases. and ironically in one sense, njbill is at present a casualty. who woulda thunk?
Not me. He always was fairly even keeled. We'll sit people in the sin bin until.....we don't.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Not me. He always was fairly even keeled. We'll sit people in the sin bin until.....we don't.
Clarification, this rule wasn't in place prior to njbill leaving...his departure precipitated the discussion of the necessity for the new rule...it's indeed going to be very difficult to administer fairly.

But njbill was baited by the troller, tried to handle it one on one but in so doing violated the then in place rule against personal attacks...and then threw a punch after a warning against such. And then was ticked off that he was flagged instead of the baiting troll.

The trolling should have been dealt with earlier, warning then penalty if persisting.

We've recently seen the rule applied on the politics thread and it may well prove to successfully quash the most egregious, offensive trolling stuff. Sure hope so. Time will tell.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Hmmmmm…wondering how the equal application of this is going
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:34 pmHmmmmm…wondering how the equal application of this is going
You thinking of something/someone specific?
Caddy Day
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:45 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:34 pmHmmmmm…wondering how the equal application of this is going
Specific? One needs only look? For me? Absolutely nothing that I care to point to directly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:11 pm
Specific? One needs only look? For me? Absolutely nothing that I care to point to directly.
Bart,
I wouldn't expect Admin and/or the owners of this site to know where to look; they're surely not reading all the exchanges, can't be expected to know all the subtexts of those exchanges.

They have to depend on readers/posters to give them a specific heads up when they think something is crossing a line, should get a hard look...note, that may well not result in an immediate penalty, but if warranted, it may get a warning. And once the Admin is aware, the next instance, if reported, is a lot easier to flag.

You (or at least someone) need to report any specific posts you think are a problem and why, including letting Admin know where to look back through the exchanges to see the context. Admin may well not be persuaded that you're right, but that's the only chance of making this system work "equally".

That said, I do know who gets under your skin and agree that those constant posts often are downright obnoxious.
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 am
Bart,
I wouldn't expect Admin and/or the owners of this site to know where to look; they're surely not reading all the exchanges, can't be expected to know all the subtexts of those exchanges.

They have to depend on readers/posters to give them a specific heads up when they think something is crossing a line, should get a hard look...note, that may well not result in an immediate penalty, but if warranted, it may get a warning. And once the Admin is aware, the next instance, if reported, is a lot easier to flag.

You (or at least someone) need to report any specific posts you think are a problem and why, including letting Admin know where to look back through the exchanges to see the context. Admin may well not be persuaded that you're right, but that's the only chance of making this system work "equally".

That said, I do know who gets under your skin and agree that those constant posts often are downright obnoxious.
Nope. It just points to the fact that the “system” works equally for those who get their panties in a was easily and have thin skin. It is the way it is.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 am
Bart,

Nope. It just points to the fact that the “system” works equally for those who get their panties in a was easily and have thin skin. It is the way it is.
note, we're talking about a new rule about "trolling"; totally understand the thin skin comment...just happened with me and a poster. Popped off pretty hard and directly personal when I dared disagree with the disrespectful tenor of a string of posts about labelling players and teams "under performers". My objection wasn't intended solely for him, but he sure popped off personally in response.

I didn't initially call that string of posts "trolling" but I really don't see any point in them other than to poke other posters in the eye, especially oblivious to those who are family and friends, or even just alumni of those programs. Toxic stuff IMO. Not the worst such, ala labelling a player, team, or program a "choker" but close...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We’ve got somebody running around int eh last hour trashing everyone . This should be addressed and I hate this sort of thing but in going to respond poorly rather soon and if that’s allowed to happen then there’s no point to having these boards at all.

And given no posts since early Feb from this cat and then I see five replies that were not in conversations this person was involved with it suggests it’s a secondary handle for someone who hasn’t been allowed to post under another handle.

I’m deadly serious about this. No idea who this jerk is but it’s out of control.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “FANLAX RULES AND PENALTY BOX”