WLAX Bracketology

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxmenow

Re: WLAX Bracketology

Post by laxmenow »

I dropped them to my second group of three out (in post above) after the loss to St Joes … right or wrong, who knows?!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

fraudwatch wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:47 pm No Navy? Are we 100 percent counting them out? The rankings sure aren't. Lost to Drexel (an unranked team) nothing changes and then lost to St. Joes (unranked team) and barely drop. The rankings need to take another look. I could see Penn State sneaking in there, beating Northwestern is pretty impressive, but can they keep it going...ohio state... Clemson is a team of transfers that will not be in the tournament, great facility though.
Along with RPI and SOS, the committee wants to see significant wins (over RPI top 20), little to no significant losses(outside top 20) and wins over other teams in the tournament. This is why teams like Navy and Clemson won't get rewarded with a spot unless they get significant wins the rest of the season. Clemson has plenty of chances remaining with BC and Cuse in next two games plus whoever they play in ACC quarters. When teams schedule their OOC with no top 20 teams they really paint themselves in a corner with little room for error. Those unranked losses you mentioned for Navy are killers when they don't have any top 20 wins. Although the Drexel loss isn't considered bad as they are in the RPI top 20 and in my opinion would make the tournament if the season ended today. Clemson losing to Louisville really hurts them as well. Last year they beat Louisville and finished 12-5 last year and per the committee chair weren't even one of the first 4 left out of the field. Their resume is actually worse this year so unless they win one of these upcoming games I just don't see it with them.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

I think everyone can see the following- Navy going on a roll, racking up some overwhelming wins, and then maybe losing a close game to Loyola in the Championship. With like 15 wins and a decidedly good season- I think Navy gets in.

Clemson's problem is that I don't even think people will look at their season overall as a "good" season with all the hype they had coming in.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

BigRedChant wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:57 am I think everyone can see the following- Navy going on a roll, racking up some overwhelming wins, and then maybe losing a close game to Loyola in the Championship. With like 15 wins and a decidedly good season- I think Navy gets in.

Clemson's problem is that I don't even think people will look at their season overall as a "good" season with all the hype they had coming in.
I am not a fan of the way RPI works as I have said before, but if my choice is between Clemson and Navy today, you have to go with Clemson. Higher RPI today (26v34), tougher overall schedule (29v50), and the common opponent win against Duke was a 9 goal win for Clemson and 1 goal win for Navy. Clemson still has 2 more ranked teams in BC and Syracuse, while Navy’s best remaining opponent with an RPI better than theirs is Holy Cross. Speaking of Holy Cross, the Navy game against Holy Cross Saturday is critical for Navy to even be in an at large conversation. Somehow Holy Cross RPI is 24 – better than both Navy and Clemson.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:33 am I am not a fan of the way RPI works as I have said before, but if my choice is between Clemson and Navy today, you have to go with Clemson. Higher RPI today (26v34), tougher overall schedule (29v50), and the common opponent win against Duke was a 9 goal win for Clemson and 1 goal win for Navy. Clemson still has 2 more ranked teams in BC and Syracuse, while Navy’s best remaining opponent with an RPI better than theirs is Holy Cross. Speaking of Holy Cross, the Navy game against Holy Cross Saturday is critical for Navy to even be in an at large conversation. Somehow Holy Cross RPI is 24 – better than both Navy and Clemson.
I do wonder if standings in conference will play into it at all. Clemson is going to finish at 3-6 in conference (most likely) and 7th at best in the ACC assuming things play out as they should. I could definitely see the committee going with only the top 5 ACC schools, but we'll see. Plenty of upsets already this year, that I'm sure more will come.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

US Lax agreed with me. BC is not deserving of a seed right now.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... ity-parity

College Park, Md.

North Carolina vs. Fairfield (MAAC)
Winner plays at (1) Maryland (BIG TEN)

Charlottesville, Va.

Richmond (A-10) at (8) Virginia
Princeton vs. Duke

Evanston, Ill.

Eastern Michigan (MAC) at (4) Northwestern
Denver (BIG EAST) vs. Mercer (BIG SOUTH)

Ann Arbor, Mich.

Coastal Carolina (ASUN) at (5) Michigan
Notre Dame vs. Stanford (PAC-12)

Syracuse, N.Y.

Florida vs. Dartmouth
Winner plays at (2) Syracuse (ACC)

Baltimore, Md.

Albany (AMERICA EAST) at (7) Johns Hopkins
Yale (IVY) vs. Penn State

Philadelphia, Pa.

Stony Brook (CAA) vs. James Madison (AAC)
Winner plays at (3) Penn

Baltimore, Md.

Sacred Heart (NEC) at (6) Loyola (PATRIOT)
Boston College vs. Drexel

Last Four In: Drexel, Penn State, Duke, Dartmouth
First Four Out: USC, Holy Cross, Brown, Colorado
Last edited by hmmm on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Somebody at Fairfield is hacking IL's RPI ratings. FAIRFIELD listed at #4 in RPI with only one Top 20 win and a Top 21+ LOSS. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pril/63004
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:33 pm Somebody at Fairfield is hacking IL's RPI ratings. FAIRFIELD listed at #4 in RPI with only one Top 20 win and a Top 21+ LOSS. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... pril/63004
Stanford at 10 with (according to the article) a 7-3 record but:
zero Top 5 wins
zero Top 10 wins
zero Top 20 wins
however zero 21+ losses

Someone help me make it all make sense, RPI drives me crazy :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:12 pm Someone help me make it all make sense, RPI drives me crazy
For all that RPI makes sense, this is as good an explanation as you'll get. Neither one makes any sense.

jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

hmmm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:28 pm US Lax agreed with me. BC is not deserving of a seed right now.

College Park, Md.

Charlottesville, Va.

Princeton vs. Duke

Evanston, Ill.

Ann Arbor, Mich.

Syracuse, N.Y.

Florida vs. Dartmouth

Baltimore, Md.

Philadelphia, Pa.

Winner plays at (3) Penn

Baltimore, Md.

Hey! Glad to see my work is being seen. Please share the link so:

1) we get some clicks :-)
2) folks can get the written analysis about how we sorted things out.

Hope everyone is enjoying the conference season -- May will be here very soon!

Edit: in my haste, even I didn't include my own link. Whoops!

Link: https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... ity-parity
Last edited by jeremyfallis on Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:10 am Hey! Glad to see my work is being seen. Please share the link so:

Just a suggestion. You might have been more tactful by sending a direct message making the request to include the link. Even though it doesn't involve me and is none of my business--it kinda feels like a gotcha/mild scolding the way you did it out here, so to speak. But that's just one fellow's opinion.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:10 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:28 pm US Lax agreed with me. BC is not deserving of a seed right now.

College Park, Md.

Charlottesville, Va.

Princeton vs. Duke

Evanston, Ill.

Ann Arbor, Mich.

Syracuse, N.Y.

Florida vs. Dartmouth

Baltimore, Md.

Philadelphia, Pa.

Winner plays at (3) Penn

Baltimore, Md.

My apologies. Link added.
jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:35 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:10 am Hey! Glad to see my work is being seen. Please share the link so:

Just a suggestion. You might have been more tactful by sending a direct message making the request to include the link. Even though it doesn't involve me and is none of my business--it kinda feels like a gotcha/mild scolding the way you did it out here, so to speak. But that's just one fellow's opinion.
By no means was it scolding :lol: . It was just a gentle request -- I literally included a :-) so folks knew it was a kind outreach. :D . I just wanted to engage and make sure that the work being quoted was linked to so there was a full picture for everyone. The passion on this board is evident and I enjoy everyone chiming in and making their voices heard.
jeremyfallis

Post by jeremyfallis »

hmmm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:10 am

College Park, Md.

Charlottesville, Va.

Princeton vs. Duke

Evanston, Ill.

Ann Arbor, Mich.

Syracuse, N.Y.

Florida vs. Dartmouth

Baltimore, Md.

Philadelphia, Pa.

Winner plays at (3) Penn

Baltimore, Md.

My apologies. Link added.
No need to apologize. No disrespect by the way. Thanks for reading!
OuttaNowhereWregget

jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:58 am

By no means was it scolding :lol: . It was just a gentle request -- I literally included a :-) so folks knew it was a kind outreach. :D . I just wanted to engage and make sure that the work being quoted was linked to so there was a full picture for everyone. The passion on this board is evident and I enjoy everyone chiming in and making their voices heard.
Cool 👍
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:58 am

Cool 👍
Fallis is as good as it’s gets for women’s lacrosse in terms of bracketology. Has been pretty spot on the last few years.
laxmenow

Post by laxmenow »

After watching the BC - Yale game, it looked to me like BC was a clear top 8, and Yale a clear top 16, but I guess neither is as good as Fairfield !!
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxmenow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:45 pm After watching the BC - Yale game, it looked to me like BC was a clear top 8, and Yale a clear top 16, but I guess neither is as good as Fairfield !!
EXACTLY why I think all that RPI guff is horse manure.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

When they are calculating SOS for NCAA selection, are they already including future opponents that a team has in the the top 10 or do they have to play the opponent first and than it gets factored in?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

flushlax77 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:06 pm When they are calculating SOS for NCAA selection, are they already including future opponents that a team has in the the top 10 or do they have to play the opponent first and than it gets factored in?
Have to play them first

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”