Team building lacrosse practice activities

Coach Drills/Training
Farfromgeneva

Team building lacrosse practice activities

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This may end up like an old town with no one home but I just started as head coach of my sons youth team, 9&10yr old. In Atlanta and in town (Dekalb co league but next door to city proper) but pretty movie group, about 6/7 of 17 played previously.

I think I have drills and other activities generally down but I want to kids who’ve played before to familiarize with the new kids (and other way as well) and take on some basic leadership roles.

Thinking there’s games that are lacrosse adjacent I can do for 10-15min in a 1.5hr practice that’ll have 20 min of scrimmaging at the end going forward which can be fun, athletic and get them playing together.

Anyone got any gems for me or is this why I took on the responsibility for all the glory and good luck to me?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Carroll81

Re: Team building lacrosse practice activities

Post by Carroll81 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:29 am This may end up like an old town with no one home but I just started as head coach of my sons youth team, 9&10yr old. In Atlanta and in town (Dekalb co league but next door to city proper) but pretty movie group, about 6/7 of 17 played previously.

I think I have drills and other activities generally down but I want to kids who’ve played before to familiarize with the new kids (and other way as well) and take on some basic leadership roles.

Thinking there’s games that are lacrosse adjacent I can do for 10-15min in a 1.5hr practice that’ll have 20 min of scrimmaging at the end going forward which can be fun, athletic and get them playing together.

Anyone got any gems for me or is this why I took on the responsibility for all the glory and good luck to me?
I always used to use some of the old favorites that they already know:
Duck, duck, goose (with a scoop and a chase)
Red light, green light (while cradling)
Simon Says (switching hands)
Relay races

They also always seemed to love playing Trashcan. I liked it because with just a few cans you can keep them all moving.

Keeping 9 & 10 year olds engaged for 1.5 hours is really, really hard. But it's a blast once you figure it out. Good luck!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Carroll81 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:07 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:29 am This may end up like an old town with no one home but I just started as head coach of my sons youth team, 9&10yr old. In Atlanta and in town (Dekalb co league but next door to city proper) but pretty movie group, about 6/7 of 17 played previously.

Relay races

They also always seemed to love playing Trashcan. I liked it because with just a few cans you can keep them all moving.

Keeping 9 & 10 year olds engaged for 1.5 hours is really, really hard. But it's a blast once you figure it out. Good luck!
Thanks. I helped out last spring but was just wrangling the herd now I’m in charge so it’s different. Appreciate it.
See Martin, Malcolm
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Carroll81 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:07 am

Relay races

What's trashcan?
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:07 pm What's trashcan?
Very simple pickup game. You just need a couple trashcans.

https://thehobbykraze.com/competitive/l ... er-player/
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Carroll81 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:31 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:07 pm What's trashcan?
Very simple pickup game. You just need a couple trashcans.

https://thehobbykraze.com/competitive/l ... er-player/
Cool! Thanks!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Been trying trashcan. Also slowly starting to implement more 3 on 2 and 2 on 3 drills with live GB and go type of setups. Trying to ge them to go from individual (GB, pass and catch and shoot) to two and three man games where there’s some opposition.
See Martin, Malcolm
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Has anyone who coaches little kids done a lacrosse version of tag and how did you do it. It seems there are unlimited versions we could play but I'm wondering what has worked best.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:18 pm Has anyone who coaches little kids done a lacrosse version of tag and how did you do it. It seems there are unlimited versions we could play but I'm wondering what has worked best.
I developed a a fun game called Lax/Rugby:

It borderlines on 'tag'. Use as big a field as available, two teams, and you can only pass the ball backwards.
Needless to say, it disguises a ton of conditioning, the person carrying the ball soon realizes they are about to be mugged...so they need to find their teammates quickly which means head up and scanning the field, the ball ultimately gets dropped so there is your GB drill in a scrum. And if you have players that like to cheat and ball hog, the scoring rule is that you can only run it across the goal line within the final 10 yards....that way johnny fastpants doesn't run the entire field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Sam990

Post by Sam990 »

Lately, training has been very exhausting. I feel like I've been in this sport for years, but sometimes I want to give it up. Maybe it's burnout? There are also problems at work, which in turn affect the overall motivation. Recently, I started taking a steroid (testosterone for sale), and it's the only thing that saves all my progress and motivation. I don't know if it's possible to change something in my life. Like a job or a sport.

Return to “COACH DRILLS/TRAINING”