D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Quarterfinal: Maryland vs Florida @ Noon

Post by wlaxphan20 »

leaving the witty one-sentence previews to seacoaster
totc

Re: Quarterfinal: Maryland vs Florida @ Noon

Post by totc »

They're playing it at NOON??? Hell, how are people supposed to park at the site?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

totc wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm They're playing it at NOON??? Hell, how are people supposed to park at the site?
You know...that's a good question. It looks like there are various department-specific commencement ceremonies being held on the 19th as well, and some of them are at or around noon. Hopefully UMD has a plan?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 pm
totc wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm They're playing it at NOON??? Hell, how are people supposed to park at the site?
You know...that's a good question. It looks like there are various department-specific commencement ceremonies being held on the 19th as well, and some of them are at or around noon. Hopefully UMD has a plan?
I wouldn't count on it. They often don't have a plan for supplying extra balls on the weird field, or a barely capable person to man the game camera.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I give the Gators two chances to pull the upset here--slim and none. Wouldn't be surprised to see Florida quit at some point and for the game to get out of hand (running clock). They'll bow out right on cue.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

It's somewhere between hard and impossible to believe in an upset here, particularly after Maryland's really impressive showing against Duke. Pretty much completely neutralized the Jenner advantage, and played really beautiful offense and good defense. I'd guess Maryland wins this by 5 or 6.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Maybe they can just play the game at a local park...at least they would be playing on a better field.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:00 am
I wouldn't count on it. They often don't have a plan for supplying extra balls on the weird field, or a barely capable person to man the game camera.
I would think they'll have a plan considering Maryland's looked like a potential quarterfinal host for a few weeks now, but commencement brings a lot of people to the campus so it may not matter. Will be hard to find parking no matter what, especially if Xfinity is being used at the same time for commencements for one of the bigger departments on campus.
As for the camera, working it is harder than it looks. The main angle is set up on the same side as the benches, where there isn't a lot of room because there's a trail behind the trees. You're also up on a lift above the field. If you're not used to the speed of the game, it can take some getting used to.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jff97 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 am
I would think they'll have a plan considering Maryland's looked like a potential quarterfinal host for a few weeks now, but commencement brings a lot of people to the campus so it may not matter. Will be hard to find parking no matter what, especially if Xfinity is being used at the same time for commencements for one of the bigger departments on campus.
As for the camera, working it is harder than it looks. The main angle is set up on the same side as the benches, where there isn't a lot of room because there's a trail behind the trees. You're also up on a lift above the field. If you're not used to the speed of the game, it can take some getting used to.
I really try not to be picayune about the camera stuff, simply because I am just happy to see the games "televised." But the camera work for the Duke game was rough, bouncing around, not following play or the ball, and made you kind of seasick from time to time. These upcoming games are the ESPNU channel, right? So maybe the production value and professionalism will improve.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 am
I really try not to be picayune about the camera stuff, simply because I am just happy to see the games "televised." But the camera work for the Duke game was rough, bouncing around, not following play or the ball, and made you kind of seasick from time to time. These upcoming games are the ESPNU channel, right? So maybe the production value and professionalism will improve.
I would think the production will be better, but who knows. As someone who worked on the production side of a few MD broadcasts in college, I still get a little ticked when people complain about them because at Maryland a lot of the BTN Plus broadcasts are mostly run by students just trying to get experience. Not trying to call you out, just something to keep in mind when games are on a streaming service.

As for this game, I think Maryland wins by a decent amount. Both teams are hot, but the Terps have done it against better competition.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jff97 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:14 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 am
I would think the production will be better, but who knows. As someone who worked on the production side of a few MD broadcasts in college, I still get a little ticked when people complain about them because at Maryland a lot of the BTN Plus broadcasts are mostly run by students just trying to get experience. Not trying to call you out, just something to keep in mind when games are on a streaming service.

As for this game, I think Maryland wins by a decent amount. Both teams are hot, but the Terps have done it against better competition.
Totally understand and appreciate you saying you're not calling me out. And I feel like a jerk bringing it up. But (having said that and acknowledging I am being kind of an a**...) this is the highest level of the sport on an annual basis, and it deserves the production quality that matches the training, gifts and ardor of these women. And -- not least -- this is one of the absolute signature sports for the University that was responsible for the broadcast. At least Taylor's commentary was excellent, as any of us would expect from one of the sport's best players (OK, the best), biggest names and spokespersons.

The Loyola broadcast was excellent; the PBP guy is an energetic if neophyte fan of the sport, and Jesse does a very good job. The Princeton broadcast was good, except for the lengthy "technical difficulties," and I like Christa Samaris's energy and enthusiasm. The NU broadcast team was woeful I thought.

I watched the men's games over the weekend, and the quality was simply better and the announcers understood, for the most part, how the game is played and officiated; I know: we're shocked by the contrast.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

Not to belabor the point anymore, but just a little more context on the broadcast.

Many years ago, I oversaw what was then TerpsTV, and I worked a little bit on the transition to BTN+ before leaving. I'm not apologizing for Maryland's broadcasts, because many times I don't think they do an adequate job, especially because I know what capability they do have. I've actively voiced my complaints at times over the last ten years to people in the department that I knew if I didnt think they did a good enough job with what they had.

But, they had 3 simultaneous broadcasts yesterday (mlax, wlax, baseball) which stretches personnel and equipment. I assume that they were stretched even thinner because it's finals week, which means that a lot of their student staff could potentially be a) done and gone already or b) didnt want to work because they were studying. Also, with the time change, its possible that some of the people who were originally scheduled to work couldnt make it anymore. The main game camera was certainly a little disconcerting, not because of the operator's ability so much, but because it was on a lift, it did feel a little bit like we were at sea sometimes. When the operator moved, the lift moved. I dont know what the solution to that is per se, other than build a permanent structure and have a broadcast worthy of the quality on the field as well.

Of course the men's production was better, because the infrastructure in place is better and no one is filming from lifts. Which it still wasnt ideal. I'm sure it has to do with their cabling and infrastructure, but the campus produced broadcasts insist on putting cameras on the fan side, a million miles in the air, whereas on the national broadcasts, they typically put the cameras on the concourse on the other side, which is lower, and also makes it so you can see benches/fans a lot easier.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

The issue of the broadcast quality for Maryland home games is simple--they're too cheap to pay for a better production company (not to mention infrastructure).
Testudo98

Post by Testudo98 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:26 pm The issue of the broadcast quality for Maryland home games is simple--they're too cheap to pay for a better production company (not to mention infrastructure).
Your digs mean you’re worried.
DMac

Post by DMac »

aubartolomei wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:29 pm Not to belabor the point anymore, but just a little more context on the broadcast.

Many years ago, I oversaw what was then TerpsTV, and I worked a little bit on the transition to BTN+ before leaving. I'm not apologizing for Maryland's broadcasts, because many times I don't think they do an adequate job, especially because I know what capability they do have. I've actively voiced my complaints at times over the last ten years to people in the department that I knew if I didnt think they did a good enough job with what they had.

But, they had 3 simultaneous broadcasts yesterday (mlax, wlax, baseball) which stretches personnel and equipment. I assume that they were stretched even thinner because it's finals week, which means that a lot of their student staff could potentially be a) done and gone already or b) didnt want to work because they were studying. Also, with the time change, its possible that some of the people who were originally scheduled to work couldnt make it anymore. The main game camera was certainly a little disconcerting, not because of the operator's ability so much, but because it was on a lift, it did feel a little bit like we were at sea sometimes. When the operator moved, the lift moved. I dont know what the solution to that is per se, other than build a permanent structure and have a broadcast worthy of the quality on the field as well.

Of course the men's production was better, because the infrastructure in place is better and no one is filming from lifts. Which it still wasnt ideal. I'm sure it has to do with their cabling and infrastructure, but the campus produced broadcasts insist on putting cameras on the fan side, a million miles in the air, whereas on the national broadcasts, they typically put the cameras on the concourse on the other side, which is lower, and also makes it so you can see benches/fans a lot easier.
I love this guy!!
His (and I say that with confidence) annual (might get 2, 3 on a stretch) posts are insightful and informative always.
You da man, aubart'.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Testudo98 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:26 pm The issue of the broadcast quality for Maryland home games is simple--they're too cheap to pay for a better production company (not to mention infrastructure).
Your digs mean you’re worried.
Whether the Terps win their 16th this year or not has nothing to do with Maryland's typically crapbag video broadcast production. Two separate issues entirely.

However--should the Terps win number 16--I'll enjoy Fenny's lofty exultations regarding. I'll also greatly enjoy the spoiling of the pre-mapped and pre-rehearsed powder blue victory celebration. Wouldn't that be delicious?
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I think the Terps win this one.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm
aubartolomei wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:29 pm Not to belabor the point anymore, but just a little more context on the broadcast.

I love this guy!!
His (and I say that with confidence) annual (might get 2, 3 on a stretch) posts are insightful and informative always.
You da man, aubart'.
I agree, it was very insightful, thank you! I can definitely understand how the time change and end of the school year would create personnel issues as well
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland vs Florida

The Terps anticipating the beatdown they'll be putting on Florida...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”