Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Everyonesgotone

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by Everyonesgotone »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:23 pm
Everyonesgotone wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:25 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm Interesting move for TM. I know that ASU did not properly support their program; or at least not to the level a BCS school should. Which makes his run there even more impressive. IMO he will find convincing kids to come to Hop easier than bringing them out to ASU.
I am wondering what you mean by ASU did not get proper support for their program. From my view, the program got as much of not more support as most top tier programs in D1. Tim did an incredible job at ASU and I believe left for reasons that had nothing to do with the lack of support. The biggest challenge in recruiting for ASU is getting the player to travel out there for the first time. Once they are there, it is hard to scratch it off their short list, especially in February.

I concur with most of what Everyonesgotone said, although I no personal knowledge of Arizona, having never been there.
LaxPundit07, I know that what you said about the ASU program might have been true at one time, but I never heard TM say that in print or otherwise.
I don’t think that requiring a certain degree of fundraising is unusual, although Herm Edwards likely doesn’t have to work very hard at it. As for other sports regardless of the conference, there is probably some required. The whole Aunt Becky scholarship scandal is a result of that pressure to deliver.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:02 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm Interesting move for TM. I know that ASU did not properly support their program; or at least not to the level a BCS school should. Which makes his run there even more impressive. IMO he will find convincing kids to come to Hop easier than bringing them out to ASU.
I am wondering what you mean by ASU did not get proper support for their program. From my view, the program got as much of not more support as most top tier programs in D1. Tim did an incredible job at ASU and I believe left for reasons that had nothing to do with the lack of support. The biggest challenge in recruiting for ASU is getting the player to travel out there for the first time. Once they are there, it is hard to scratch it off their short list, especially in February.

I concur with most of what Everyonesgotone said, although I no personal knowledge of Arizona, having never been there.
LaxPundit07, I know that what you said about the ASU program might have been true at one time, but I never heard TM say that in print or otherwise.
I don’t think that requiring a certain degree of fundraising is unusual, although Herm Edwards likely doesn’t have to work very hard at it. As for other sports regardless of the conference, there is probably some required. The whole Aunt Becky scholarship scandal is a result of that pressure to deliver.
This was beyond a “certain degree of fundraising”. These were basic line items in a budget for a BCS school that a coach should NEVER have to fundraise for.

Remember, ASU originally hired a fired American East coach that had been out of the game for a number of years. Compare that hire to other BCS start ups and it will make more sense. Accomplished coaches weren’t clamoring for the ASU job for a reason.

And Larry, “in print”, of course not! Airing out to the world that your school doesn’t properly support your program isn’t exactly a smart recruiting/PR move. TM was freakin fantastic at ASU. He was a pro there and they were lucky to have him.
Everyonesgotone

Post by Everyonesgotone »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:27 am

This was beyond a “certain degree of fundraising”. These were basic line items in a budget for a BCS school that a coach should NEVER have to fundraise for.

Remember, ASU originally hired a fired American East coach that had been out of the game for a number of years. Compare that hire to other BCS start ups and it will make more sense. Accomplished coaches weren’t clamoring for the ASU job for a reason.

And Larry, “in print”, of course not! Airing out to the world that your school doesn’t properly support your program isn’t exactly a smart recruiting/PR move. TM was freakin fantastic at ASU. He was a pro there and they were lucky to have him.
I guess you were on both the Finance and Hiring committee at ASU. I hope you don’t talk all the recruits out of going there with all your positivity.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:51 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:27 am

I guess you were on both the Finance and Hiring committee at ASU. I hope you don’t talk all the recruits out of going there with all your positivity.
Wasn’t on those committees. Have a friend that was in athletic administration there. They were frustrated with lack of commitment from the school for this new program. You can call me negative all you want; but it was/is the truth. I haven’t talked to this admin since TM left, so I can not speak about support as of this minute. But I know it to be fact that their original hire was a product of the lack of support for the program. The pool of candidates was turned off by what school was asking of coaches to do to keep the program running.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Are we done here? No more big moves? Is the timeframe now over? There are A few HC openings. ASU, Jacksonville, GW, and possibly Drexel (if they don't give it to the interim). But on the hole, without the openings caused by retirement and new program hires this carousel didn't spin very much.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Does anybody really know what happen with the Drexel situation? It was also very odd
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:29 pm Does anybody really know what happen with the Drexel situation? It was also very odd
Yes. Based on what happened, and if it was an isolated incident, it is really unfortunate that Drexel moved on. If not isolated, then it was appropriate for them to make a change
I am aware of the incident, but cannot speak to whether it was a one time issue or not.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:29 pm Does anybody really know what happen with the Drexel situation? It was also very odd
Yes. Based on what happened, and if it was an isolated incident, it is really unfortunate that Drexel moved on. If not isolated, then it was appropriate for them to make a change
I am aware of the incident, but cannot speak to whether it was a one time issue or not.
I'm guessing you don't know the full story if you feel that this incident didn't warrant moving on.
duffy

Post by duffy »

Dasher wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:18 pm Are we done here? No more big moves? Is the timeframe now over? There are A few HC openings. ASU, Jacksonville, GW, and possibly Drexel (if they don't give it to the interim). But on the hole, without the openings caused by retirement and new program hires this carousel didn't spin very much.
It will be interesting to see who JU and ASU hire. Existing head coach? Assistant coach from a top school?

Any word on assistant coaches making moves?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:47 pm
I'm guessing you don't know the full story if you feel that this incident didn't warrant moving on.
Or perhaps we heard different versions? If my version was true, the administrative leave was a proportional response, the firing was not.

If your version is true, then I guess her dismissal was warranted.

I definitely do not claim to have been there or deeply involved. So if you are, I will respect your take on it!
lax1823

Post by lax1823 »

glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

lax1823 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:36 pm Add Butler to the list.

https://butlersports.com/news/2022/6/2 ... gram.aspx
Definitely didn’t see this coming but based on what I’ve heard, I think it was time.
anneclax

Post by anneclax »

What have you heard? Why is everyone always so cryptic about these things.
washedup

Post by washedup »

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2022/6/2 ... staff.aspx

TM bringing Nicole Graziano and Dorrien Van Dyke to Hopkins as assistants
washedup

Post by washedup »

Also interesting posting for Assistant Coach at Drexel:

https://www.iwlca.org/news_article/show/1229458

"To Apply: Please send resumes to Katie O’Donnell, Interim Head Coach, via email: xxx"
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

washedup wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 pm Also interesting posting for Assistant Coach at Drexel:

"To Apply: Please send resumes to Katie O’Donnell, Interim Head Coach, via email: xxx"

They only have one assistant. They should have(and need) two.
washedup

Post by washedup »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:17 pm
washedup wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 pm Also interesting posting for Assistant Coach at Drexel:

They only have one assistant. They should have(and need) two.
Right, but doesn't this imply that O'Donnell will be made permanent? Otherwise odd to have interim HC hire another assistant while admin is hiring new head coach
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Curious as to why no program has poached UNC assistant coach Phil Barnes yet. Probably the best in the game IMO, and an ace recruiter, well respected in the lax community, a player's coach through and through, and he's helped Levy build that program. He's also been a headcoach before. He has all the tools to turn a midling program around.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm Curious as to why no program has poached UNC assistant coach Phil Barnes yet. Probably the best in the game IMO, and an ace recruiter, well respected in the lax community, a player's coach through and through, and he's helped Levy build that program. He's also been a headcoach before. He has all the tools to turn a midling program around.
You could ask the same question about Lauri Kenis at Maryland. Maybe schools have tried but they just like where they're at? That would be my guess
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:25 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 pm Curious as to why no program has poached UNC assistant coach Phil Barnes yet. Probably the best in the game IMO, and an ace recruiter, well respected in the lax community, a player's coach through and through, and he's helped Levy build that program. He's also been a headcoach before. He has all the tools to turn a midling program around.
You could ask the same question about Lauri Kenis at Maryland. Maybe schools have tried but they just like where they're at? That would be my guess
They are probably the most well paid assistant coaches when you count camps and state pension/health care, are very good at their jobs and have a positive work environment. Not everyone wants the head coach glory/headache.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”