2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: 2022 Women’s Lacrosse World Championship

Post by Bart »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm IMO she's always been better than Cummings. Total package and it was her who ushered in this new era of women's lacrosse.
I am not trying to start a pissing match here. Honestly. I am really interested in why you think KT was the total package and TC was not? Or perhaps the better total package?

I will agree with I think KT did usher in the new creative era of women's lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not seeing an attendance number anywhere, anyone got a clue? Looked like a pretty decent sized crowd, made plenty of noise, made for a nice atmosphere....and they got their money's worth.
Lot of talk about there not being a shot clock in international rules (big fan of it and it sounds as if there will be next time around) but I didn't see where it affected this game much at all, if at all. These two teams were getting up and down the field and going to the cage, pace of the game was fast. No doubt there will be some games where this comes into play but not so much with these two teams.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 pm Dana Dobbie is unbelievable!! I was completely blown away the first couple of times I saw her play.
The Great One? The best? She better be in that discussion.
She was the best player out there if you ask me. Circle players need to be better to beat the US. Her instincts and hand quickness are unreal.
[/quot

And let’s remember, she is 37 years old. Absolutely incredible.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 pm Dana Dobbie is unbelievable!! I was completely blown away the first couple of times I saw her play.
She was the best player out there if you ask me. Circle players need to be better to beat the US. Her instincts and hand quickness are unreal.
It's actually pretty tough to call any one player out there the best one (yes, including North who some just slobber and fawn over to the point of nauseam) given the skill level. One might be more skilled at one phase of the game while another is better at another phase of the game. So which one of those two is the better/best player? I've never seen anyone ride, and be more effective, than Apuzzo, for example, but the scorer is going to be called the best. That's blinders view and pretty shallow in my book. There's just too much going on there to pick one out.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Does anyone know the citizenship requirements for team membership? Thanks
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 am
It's actually pretty tough to call any one player out there the best one (yes, including North who some just slobber and fawn over to the point of nauseam) given the skill level. One might be more skilled at one phase of the game while another is better at another phase of the game. So which one of those two is the better/best player? I've never seen anyone ride, and be more effective, than Apuzzo, for example, but the scorer is going to be called the best. That's blinders view and pretty shallow in my book. There's just too much going on there to pick one out.
I don't think it's blind or shallow to have the opinion that a player was the MVP of one game.

It wasn't just that unreal goal, her ability to handle that pass under pressure to get the shot off and her work at the draw and between the 30's to get many possessions for her team was great individual play. She is obviously the veteran leader of the Canadian team, she had a fantastic night and stood out.
washedup

Post by washedup »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:07 pm Does anyone know the citizenship requirements for team membership? Thanks
This is from Ireland's lacrosse website, but I looked at a few other national team's websites and it seems to be pretty much the same, just substitute that country's name for Ireland. And then some teams such as Ireland also mandate that 51% of players must be "domestic," as in come from within Ireland, but what's posted below seems to be the baseline:

Nationality:

Prime criteria for eligibility is to be a passport holder of Ireland…… but the following will also be accepted:

Birth/Naturalisation– Born on the island of Ireland or naturalised within Ireland; effectively, becomes a passport holder. Note that in any situation of naturalisation without becoming a Passport Holder this would be part of the limitation on Non-Passport holders stated below.
Parents – One or both parents, adoptive parents or step-parents born on the island of Ireland. Note that if not a Passport Holder then this would be part of the limitation on Non-Passport holders.
Grandparents – One or more birth / adoptive grandparents born on the island of Ireland. Note that if not a Passport Holder then this would be part of the limitation on Non-Passport holders. Note that step-grandparents are not acceptable.
Marriage – Spouse being born on the island of Ireland with the qualification that both the spouse and player-candidate must be resident in Ireland. This criteria relates to accepted marriage in the context of a civil or religious ceremony. “Common law” situations and/or partnerships without such formal acceptance (and hence supporting documentation) will not be accepted. In the event of death of the spouse this would not prevent the individual from qualifying by this criteria. Divorce from the spouse would disqualify the individual from qualifying by this criteria. Note that if not a Passport Holder then this would be part of the limitation on Non-Passport holders.
Residence –Minimum of a two-year residency period in the playing country within the last five years. This does not necessarily have to be a continuous period but a cumulative total period of two years over the previous five years. Note that if not a Passport Holder then this would be part of the limitation on Non-Passport holders.

Limitation on Non-Passport Holders:
Any squad for any WL event shall have at least 85% (in all cases rounded downwards) of the playing squad qualifying through the possession of a passport of Ireland. Qualification by other than possessing an Ireland passport – through birth/naturalisation, parents, grandparents, marriage or residency, as defined above – will be limited to 15% (in all cases rounded upwards).

As an example, in the case of the men’s field game this would be 85% of a playing squad of 23 players, which is 19.55 rounded down to 19. Consequently the maximum number of non-passport holders on a men’s field team is 4. In the case of the women’s field game this would be 85% of a playing squad of 18 players, which is 15.30 rounded down to 15. Consequently the maximum number of non-passport holders on a women’s field team is 3.

Eligibility Relating to Dual Passport Holders:
Any competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time and holding passports of these countries may represent either one of them as he /she may elect. However, after having represented one country in a recognised (by World Lacrosse) event, he /she may not represent another country unless he/she meets other eligibility conditions set out in the by-laws which include a three-year period between playing for one country and playing for another country.

Other conditions:
The WL player eligibility rules set-out further conditions regarding age considerations and flexibility for emerging nations, including special dispensations at U19 level. Further information is available via the World Lacrosse website.

And here's the link to the policy on the FIL website: https://d2axmwxyhrv2a1.cloudfront.net/2 ... -2018-.pdf
DMac

Post by DMac »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:02 am
I don't think it's blind or shallow to have the opinion that a player was the MVP of one game.

It wasn't just that unreal goal, her ability to handle that pass under pressure to get the shot off and her work at the draw and between the 30's to get many possessions for her team was great individual play. She is obviously the veteran leader of the Canadian team, she had a fantastic night and stood out.
My comment wasn't really directed at you or about the MVP of one game, I guess I wasn't too clear about that.
As noted earlier, I think Dobbie is phenomenal. MVP of the game? That's debatable but certainly arguable.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:07 pm Does anyone know the citizenship requirements for team membership? Thanks
Depends on the team. Passport, 3 years residence, etc. Different for each country.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I may be 100% wrong but... I think there's a high correlation between what percentage of the team are former/current NCAA players and how highly placed the national team is within the standings. https://www.womensworldlax2022.com/composite
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

Anyone else having trouble getting these games to come in?
I get the circle going round and round but it never comes in.
Been like that all day.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Does anyone else feel that the US National Team would be more appealing to fans especially young fans if it had more young players (college) that they are more familiar with and follow today? There are no active college players. There are a few players that just finished up there 5th of college lax.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Last night's USA vs. Canada game

Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

Appreciate that, Mantum, watched that one (that's not showing up on replays on the ESPN sched).
Today's games aren't coming in. The 10 o'clock game did but since then zilch.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:08 pm ...The 10 o'clock game did but since then zilch.
Sweden-Mexico? A bit of a shellacking. Mexico with a bunch of NCAA players. Sweden was purely home grown...
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup. Nice the gal who came to Cuse as a HS exchange student scored one for Sweden.
That's where she saw lacrosse and brought a stick back to Sweden, big influencer in
its growth there.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:51 am
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm IMO she's always been better than Cummings. Total package and it was her who ushered in this new era of women's lacrosse.
I am not trying to start a pissing match here. Honestly. I am really interested in why you think KT was the total package and TC was not? Or perhaps the better total package?

I will agree with I think KT did usher in the new creative era of women's lacrosse.
Cummings is an amazing player. No shade to her. As pure scorer i don't think there's anyone better. But in terms of pure skills, speed, quickness, athleticism, creativity, KT has her beat. On top of being a pretty good scorer herself. KT is just a more fun player to watch and maybe that's just my personal preference
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:43 pm Yup. Nice the gal who came to Cuse as a HS exchange student scored one for Sweden.
That's where she saw lacrosse and brought a stick back to Sweden, big influencer in
its growth there.
You remember her name?
Caddy Day
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:51 pm Does anyone else feel that the US National Team would be more appealing to fans especially young fans if it had more young players (college) that they are more familiar with and follow today? There are no active college players. There are a few players that just finished up there 5th of college lax.
It may be more appealing but I don't think it has anything to do with it. It is the national team. You put the best team out there, period. Regardless of age. Just my opinion.

Probably a moot point for the next round. There will be considerable turnover. Again in my opinion.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:49 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:51 am

Cummings is an amazing player. No shade to her. As pure scorer i don't think there's anyone better. But in terms of pure skills, speed, quickness, athleticism, creativity, KT has her beat. On top of being a pretty good scorer herself. KT is just a more fun player to watch and maybe that's just my personal preference
Thanks. I am always interested in seeing what others think a complete player is. We all have our own bias in this regard. No doubt KT is more fun to watch on the offensive end.
Last edited by Bart on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”