Ohio State Buckeyes

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:01 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:31 am
DMac wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:22 am Why is this? This must have to do with three seconds, shooting space, and other differences in the m & w lax game?
Playing from behind the cage with no one on you is a little space of paradise on a lax field..soooo much you can do.
I think it is just a form of high pressure and staying in the face and hands of the ball carrier/passer. And as usual, I think wlaxphan20 is right: it's situational depending on how the opponent runs the offense and who the below-GLE threat is.
It is pressuring behind the cage, even without the ball that is head scratching. Certainly could end up opening up half the field for dodging if played correctly. Wish I could see what they were actually doing.
So do I. I'm curious how active the goalie is during this as well
DMac

Post by DMac »

So the strategy typically is to keep the front cluttered with less cutting room and let the ball handler dance around freely (more or less)? I wanna play behind the cage.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I quizzed my daughter on this. She says that it is not unique to ND, and that other teams employ the tactic, at least in the Big 10. (not OSU) Some are more situational, others more frequent. Crucial is to deny the ball to X, otherwise advantage goes back to the offense with possession gives an easy dodge and no good slide attempt w/o a shooting space concern. But it is disruptive for it is difficult even to get the ball "around the horn". She says that most high schools & travel teams never play D behind the GLE.
My guess is that a dynamic offense (Syracuse weave (former?)) would negate this strategy as the attackers are often moving out front. Inverting the middies is another option.
Mixed results in the men's game with face guarding key players, emphasis should be on getting the ball to the players regardless of tight coverage. Anyway, some homework for us all in the spring, how often is it seen, how effective, under what circumstances, disadvantages. It worked well for ND in the Fall.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:20 pm Buckeyes open with a win.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-conten ... MU-5-1.pdf
Glad to see it. It would be great for the rest of the Big 10 to have another competitive team in the conference.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The new facility is coming right along...

https://twitter.com/OhioStateWLAX/statu ... utxGcvCqHA

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”