Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 am For the sake of off-season discussion, I have been thinking about a pre-season top 10. After the first five, it is pretty hard to do:

1. Boston College -- if my memory serves, everyone is back, save Reilly, Urbank and Ngai (I think having a tested back-up is important). Defending champs, they get the No. 1 slot until proven otherwise. One of the best HCs in the business.

2. UNC -- too much back and a few good transfer pickups. I think chemistry will be a challenge. I don't even know what the freshmen class looks like, but this team will be in the final four again. I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?

3. Syracuse -- "but what about the losses on defense and goal?" you ask. Good question. But they have enough back to be a very formidable team. I understand that Hower is a good keeper, and there will be a competition among goalies. New and -- let's be serious -- young and untested coach.

4. Northwestern -- still gonna be a scoring machine with Dwyer, Gilbert, Scan and Coykendall back, and the Hansens and Holmes stepping into even more prominent roles. Can they put together a good defense? Good coach, but showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense.

5. Loyola -- I think everyone of note is back, and I assume Fiedler will be healthy. Still have Rosenzweig on the goalie right at GLE, and No. 9 on the goalie left, with three excellent midfielders in Fiedler, Kluegel and Wilson. If they shoot well, they will score goals. I think most of the defense is back, right? And Larssen is back. A lot of pieces of the puzzle. Unimpressed with the coaching staff last year; really could not get this team out of third gear.

Who's next? Florida? Maryland? Notre Dame? Really hard to get a bead on these teams.

Maryland has a real challenge ahead of it, integrating the numerous transfers, none of whom -- respectfully -- are Erica Evans. Folks keep talking about G. Griffin and the remaining May, but these are good role players, not players on whose shoulders a game will be turned. Great coaching, and a big challenge come fall.

Notre Dame loses Deehan, right? And Aldave. Who else?

Florida should just hire Spallina when Joey graduates from Mount Sinai....
BC - Already put the target on their own collective back with North's prediction but hard to argue against it with their stellar talent
Carolina - Quoting you here sea: "I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?" Would love to read this thought fleshed out...
Northwestern - A lot to prove with many returning studs--still unmatched west o' the Appalachians
Syracuse - 4th because in spite of the undeniable talent I don't know how Treanor will do in her first year
Maryland - Lots of transfers coming in with already decent core, and Reese

Stony Brook - D1 version of the Lunch Pail A.C. still beats almost everyone during the regular season
Duke - They'll miss Gabby but they have some good looking players and maybe they'll build off the Maryland win
Florida - Three transfers that I know of and an assistant coach to change the culture a bit perhaps
Loyola - What you said above
Virginia - Some good young talent (the younger Hoeg) with some vets and maybe they'll make a little more noise with the youth infusion
UVA needs a coaching change, either a change by Myers herself or a change in the traditional sense. They bring in talent every year, and end up with a passing grade -- which shouldn't be enough.

Duke might miss Gabby Rosenzweig, but I don't think they ever figured out how to use her to best effect. Cordrey and Humphrey move on as well. But I think Cronin, Barry and Landry are back for a fifth year. They should be good, which means about like they were last year. If they play the Terps, Duke won't beat Maryland this coming year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm Duke might miss Gabby Rosenzweig, but I don't think they ever figured out how to use her to best effect. Cordrey and Humphrey move on as well. But I think Cronin, Barry and Landry are back for a fifth year. They should be good, which means about like they were last year. If they play the Terps, Duke won't beat Maryland this coming year.
Correct

"Catriona Barry, Katie Cosgrove, Katie Cronin, Chase Henriquez, Natalie Kahn and Abby Landry and will use their final year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to COVID-19."

I agree--they won't beat Maryland again if they meet in the postseason '22. Maryland might have sent the game into overtime had they executed better in their final possession, and had not LeRose made that save in the final seconds. From one angle (beginning around 1:14) it appears Libby May's shot was headed for the far top corner.

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm
UVA needs a coaching change, either a change by Myers herself or a change in the traditional sense. They bring in talent every year, and end up with a passing grade -- which shouldn't be enough.
every time I see a Sea post, I think, that guy is smart :oops: ...don't know why but you and I see things in a similar way.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:12 pm
every time I see a Sea post, I think, that guy is smart :oops: ...don't know why but you and I see things in a similar way.
Hah! That might just make both of us knuckleheads!
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:08 pm
Well, make that 3 knuckleheads 😬 Totally agree, there are some old school LaxPower posters who were saying this years ago which made me start paying attention.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:12 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:08 pm
Well, make that 3 knuckleheads 😬 Totally agree, there are some old school LaxPower posters who were saying this years ago which made me start paying attention.
Three knuckleheads?

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Doc is Shemp!!!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am Doc is Shemp!!!
why I aughta..,...dems fightin words
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am Doc is Shemp!!!

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 am For the sake of off-season discussion, I have been thinking about a pre-season top 10. After the first five, it is pretty hard to do:

1. Boston College -- if my memory serves, everyone is back, save Reilly, Urbank and Ngai (I think having a tested back-up is important). Defending champs, they get the No. 1 slot until proven otherwise. One of the best HCs in the business.
I had to really shake my head at the last part of this and ask, based on what? In 9 years she has been to 4 Finals with A SINGLE CHAMPIONSHIP. Count it...ONE! She lost twice to Maryland...okay. However, that loss to JMU was unexpected by everyone...except JMU. SKB got the JMU players to play up and the BC players were not able to get the W when they had better overall talent. Sorry, but I don't think that says one of the best. AWW has one NC and so does SKB, but SKB won by doing more with less. AWW is a solid coach, but I'll put SKB ahead of her at this point.

2. UNC -- too much back and a few good transfer pickups. I think chemistry will be a challenge. I don't even know what the freshmen class looks like, but this team will be in the final four again. I wonder if the coaching staff is having a summer of reflection?
This all sounds so familiar because it is. All of that talent, all of these transfers...and TWO NCs. They ALWAYS have talent, but it adds up to the same old song. I'm not lying because history backs me up totally. So, what is there for them to reflect on that they haven't in the past?

3. Syracuse -- "but what about the losses on defense and goal?" you ask. Good question. But they have enough back to be a very formidable team. I understand that Hower is a good keeper, and there will be a competition among goalies. New and -- let's be serious -- young and untested coach.
How do you know Hower is a good Goalie? How do you know she gets the starting job? Aren't there going to be at least 4 goalies? Has Hower been anointed the starter? Another always talented team with nothing to show for all of that talent. Personnel is going to huge because they will have such large numbers. Is Kayla going to reduce the numbers or is she going to play more players? We'll see.

4. Northwestern -- still gonna be a scoring machine with Dwyer, Gilbert, Scan and Coykendall back, and the Hansens and Holmes stepping into even more prominent roles. Can they put together a good defense? Good coach, but showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense.
"Good Coach" is the first thing that hit me. Really? Seriously? That's almost insulting and I choose to believe that you didn't mean it that way because you know better. I don't think I need to mention that KAH is one of the legends of the sport, right? She has more NCs than the last three people combined who are not named Cathy Reese.
Your comment about "showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense" is accurate, but you used it as a sweeping indictment of a coach of a dynastical program. NU played poorly that day and Syracuse played well. NU's poor play led to frustration and that led to the 8 Yellow Cards. Never a good thing and thankfully no one was injured. You cannot take that game and question the entire program because that's ridiculous. If you're a Syracuse supporter, then I can understand that bloviated statement. Otherwise, outside of that one game, simply not true.

5. Loyola -- I think everyone of note is back, and I assume Fiedler will be healthy. Still have Rosenzweig on the goalie right at GLE, and No. 9 on the goalie left, with three excellent midfielders in Fiedler, Kluegel and Wilson. If they shoot well, they will score goals. I think most of the defense is back, right? And Larssen is back. A lot of pieces of the puzzle. Unimpressed with the coaching staff last year; really could not get this team out of third gear.

Who's next? Florida? Maryland? Notre Dame? Really hard to get a bead on these teams.

Maryland has a real challenge ahead of it, integrating the numerous transfers, none of whom -- respectfully -- are Erica Evans. Folks keep talking about G. Griffin and the remaining May, but these are good role players, not players on whose shoulders a game will be turned. Great coaching, and a big challenge come fall.

Mandy is going nowhere and neither is Joe.
:)

BTW...my Capitals are only for emphasis, not shouting.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Your standards are your standards, Larry, but in my view you are often times overly critical and overly harsh.
Making it to the FF/NC game is not "nothing to show for it" in my book, it's rather an outstanding season and a level/accomplishment every other other team was unable to attain. A player who plays for four years and never makes it to the end game has plenty to show for it despite not having any hardware to put on their shelf.

There is not a hint of bloviating in statement #4. To say a team played good defense is not bloviating.

bloviate
[ˈblōvēˌāt]
VERB
bloviated (past tense) · bloviated (past participle)
talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.

You need to use red, it shows up better and is easier to distinguish your comments from thoise in the original post. ;)
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:39 am

I had to really shake my head at the last part of this and ask, based on what? In 9 years she has been to 4 Finals with A SINGLE CHAMPIONSHIP. Count it...ONE! She lost twice to Maryland...okay. However, that loss to JMU was unexpected by everyone...except JMU. SKB got the JMU players to play up and the BC players were not able to get the W when they had better overall talent. Sorry, but I don't think that says one of the best. AWW has one NC and so does SKB, but SKB won by doing more with less. AWW is a solid coach, but I'll put SKB ahead of her at this point.

This all sounds so familiar because it is. All of that talent, all of these transfers...and TWO NCs. They ALWAYS have talent, but it adds up to the same old song. I'm not lying because history backs me up totally. So, what is there for them to reflect on that they haven't in the past?

How do you know Hower is a good Goalie? How do you know she gets the starting job? Aren't there going to be at least 4 goalies? Has Hower been anointed the starter? Another always talented team with nothing to show for all of that talent. Personnel is going to huge because they will have such large numbers. Is Kayla going to reduce the numbers or is she going to play more players? We'll see.

"Good Coach" is the first thing that hit me. Really? Seriously? That's almost insulting and I choose to believe that you didn't mean it that way because you know better. I don't think I need to mention that KAH is one of the legends of the sport, right? She has more NCs than the last three people combined who are not named Cathy Reese.
Your comment about "showed discipline problems in the face of a good defense" is accurate, but you used it as a sweeping indictment of a coach of a dynastical program. NU played poorly that day and Syracuse played well. NU's poor play led to frustration and that led to the 8 Yellow Cards. Never a good thing and thankfully no one was injured. You cannot take that game and question the entire program because that's ridiculous. If you're a Syracuse supporter, then I can understand that bloviated statement. Otherwise, outside of that one game, simply not true.

My random two cents:
with NU...they give up a lot of goals on defense that UNC, BC & Syr dont, and thats year after year...why? Does KAH only care about the offence scoring a lot.
Florida - I thought I had heard that Mandee was retiring this year...maybe the hiring of new AC is a transition move for him to take over as head coach next year or year after.
SB easy conference but they lost their 2 best players and no one to make up for them. Should be an interesting year for them but I expect the usual - win the games in conference, lose most of the non conf games.
Notre Dame also loses 2-3 of their starting defenders I believe plus Buchanan

I expect the usual suspects in the NCAA final four where anything can happen.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I have the final four for 2022 the same as it was this year - except championship game will be UNC v. Syracuse. #'s 5 - 8 should be Loyola, Fl, ND, MD.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 pm I have the final four for 2022 the same as it was this year - except championship game will be UNC v. Syracuse. #'s 5 - 8 should be Loyola, Fl, ND, MD.
I’m suprised about Florida . They lost their best draw player and an offensive threat and their best defender. And did t get very far last year with them. I can’t see them getting past 2nd round playoffs .
OuttaNowhereWregget

nit·pick
/ˈnitˌpik/
verb INFORMAL
gerund or present participle: nit-picking
engage in fussy or pedantic fault-finding.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Not sure where to begin. But here goes:

"Summer of reflection" was a faux clever way of saying, Coach needs an assistant to manage the offense. She's a decent coach, but the best teams they have had appear to have featured a good OC, like Dowd.

I am sure Hower is a good goalie, and played behind a very, very good goalie at Carolina. Remember that I said "good" here old friend; I am using it the same way as I do above and below. Note in the narrative above I also say that there will be a competition for the job, given the four keepers on the roster.

I think KAH is a good coach, with a lot of championships. But I haven't seen a good defense in Evanston in a loooooong time. They played one really top level opponent this past year and scored 11. Syracuse didn't have a good day -- it had a day at the office in the national semifinal. Defense is half the game, even when your kid at the draw is very good, as NU's was and is, so you don't have to play as much defense as you might. NU's defense is poor; sorry, it's true. I like watching NU on offense because the kids are just electric, fast and deadly. Defense is dull, features poor communication, late slides and average goalkeeping, and resorts to fouling every third time down the field.

Just joking about Spallina going to Florida. But jiminy cricket, that's a program that might have two or three trophies by now with Spallina or Kathy Taylor or Kate Livesay or Missy Foote or Sharon Pfluger at the helm.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Few things: Acacia took over a program that was fairly irrelevant and now is a Top 5 team each year. Part is recruiting and the other is coaching. She has to be Top 5 in the country. Four NC appearances in 9 years (50 percent) is insane. 2 Tewaaraton winners as well. I see BC as a final four team each of the next 2-3 years. The Syracuse goalie transfer Hower is very well thought of. Was the last goalie cut at U-19. Everyone says Spallina is "not going anywhere" but do we know for sure whether or not he applied for the Cuse job. I hear he did so maybe he is not going anywhere despite trying to. Curious if anyone knows for sure if he wanted and applied for that job.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:05 pm I think KAH is a good coach, with a lot of championships. But I haven't seen a good defense in Evanston in a loooooong time. They played one really top level opponent this past year and scored 11*. Syracuse didn't have a good day -- it had a day at the office in the national semifinal. Defense is half the game, even when your kid at the draw is very good, as NU's was and is, so you don't have to play as much defense as you might. NU's defense is poor; sorry, it's true. I like watching NU on offense because the kids are just electric, fast and deadly. Defense is dull, features poor communication, late slides and average goalkeeping, and resorts to fouling every third time down the field.
*13, but that doesn't detract from this excellent assessment of what's been ailing NU.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 am

Maryland has a real challenge ahead of it, integrating the numerous transfers, none of whom -- respectfully -- are Erica Evans.
This is not a bad point. Pansini was highly touted coming out of HS, but because she went to an Ivy, she really hasn't played college ball yet save for fall ball in 2019. That's also just 1 out of the 5 transfers, but I thought it was a rather unique position to be in. Spring sports do have the advantage of a fall offseason to get transfers acclimated to the team and system before the season (I know fall sports sometimes do this with the previous spring, but not as frequently).
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:12 pm
8meterPA wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:55 pm I have the final four for 2022 the same as it was this year - except championship game will be UNC v. Syracuse. #'s 5 - 8 should be Loyola, Fl, ND, MD.
I’m suprised about Florida . They lost their best draw player and an offensive threat and their best defender. And did t get very far last year with them. I can’t see them getting past 2nd round playoffs .
I should have said "in no particular order" i just don't know that there are many other teams that belong in top 10 - UVA? Duke? Don't think an Ivy will be ready after a such a long layoff and transfers, SB maybe finishes in top 10,?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”