Loyola Greyhounds

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Loyola Greyhounds

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:51 am Loyola was clearly the better team last night in their win over Princeton. The final score was deceiving. I agree with Doc--if this team is serious about making a real run at the title, they're going to have to get a lot better at delivering the coup de grâce. Too passive when aggression is warranted at times. This has been the story with this team in the past--they have the talent, they need the killer instinct.
If Princeton had won that last draw, the game result could have been very different. Too much reliance on a 50-50 outcome. Should have put the game away after the third quarter. They had (5) 4 goal leads and (1) 5 goal lead. Just a headscratcher....no need to get tight when leading...just do what brought you to that lead. I know that is simplistic and there was another good team out there trying to win...But a 1 goal game when it should have been 4. Dangerous. Now if they go to the Dome and do the same thing, they likely walk out of there with their one loss for the season. Navy losing to G'Town shows that there isn't much left to the Hounds schedule. Army might be the toughest game left.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

With last night's win over Princeton, based on each team's resume in 2022, their Best Wins and Worst Losses in 2022, Loyola is now the #4 team in the nation.

1 North Carolina
2 Boston College
3 Northwestern
4 Loyola
5 Maryland
6 Syracuse
7 Princeton
8 Denver
9 Rutgers
10 Michigan
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:51 am Loyola was clearly the better team last night in their win over Princeton. The final score was deceiving. I agree with Doc--if this team is serious about making a real run at the title, they're going to have to get a lot better at delivering the coup de grâce. Too passive when aggression is warranted at times. This has been the story with this team in the past--they have the talent, they need the killer instinct.

We've got a pretty good sample size on the Hounds now. 8-0 with wins over ranked opponents #21 JHU (14-5); #24 Penn (12-10); #12 Florida (12-9); and #10 Princeton (16-15). They've really got only one test left coming up Tuesday at Syracuse. They won't be favored, but that game is winnable for Loyola. The rest of the season and postseason will pretty much be scrimmaged...sorry--played intra-Patriot League. Then let's hope they get some favorable positioning/seeding for the NCAA's.
Im sorry but this team is not a title contender. Definitely not this year. they have no shot.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:58 pm

We've got a pretty good sample size on the Hounds now. 8-0 with wins over ranked opponents #21 JHU (14-5); #24 Penn (12-10); #12 Florida (12-9); and #10 Princeton (16-15). They've really got only one test left coming up Tuesday at Syracuse. They won't be favored, but that game is winnable for Loyola. The rest of the season and postseason will pretty much be scrimmaged...sorry--played intra-Patriot League. Then let's hope they get some favorable positioning/seeding for the NCAA's.
Im sorry but this team is not a title contender. Definitely not this year.they have no shot.
thanks for your comment :D :D ...as Bobby Z (Shabtai Zisel ben Avraham) said "Don't think twice, it's alright"
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

In addition to the 7 game losing streak to the Orange, Loyola has suffered back to back humblings to the tune of 38 to 14. One has to think they'll come to the Dome loaded for bear Tuesday, right? You know, motivated for revenge and all that? I don't see any reason on paper why they can't go toe to toe with Syracuse and win.
Dr. Tact

Cuse

Post by Dr. Tact »

I am going to take ONWs reverse MOJO here. Maybe use my favorite gris-gris.... D has never won a Cuse game, but I don't see that changing. Cuse is looking for a patsy to bust up. Too many weapons. This will be the game when oft criticized goalies have a channeling of Asa. Swart goes for 4 +2 and she is the 3rd on the team in points. The Godfather will let the K-train in on the secret to beating the GOAT.

After 5 years, I am taking my first regular season trip to the dome to experience the game, but am expecting to be sitting in my Holiday Inn Express drowning myself in Willow Rock "Half in the bag" IPA....
seacoaster

Re: Cuse

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:04 pm I am going to take ONWs reverse MOJO here. Maybe use my favorite gris-gris.... D has never won a Cuse game, but I don't see that changing. Cuse is looking for a patsy to bust up. Too many weapons. This will be the game when oft criticized goalies have a channeling of Asa. Swart goes for 4 +2 and she is the 3rd on the team in points. The Godfather will let the K-train in on the secret to beating the GOAT.

After 5 years, I am taking my first regular season trip to the dome to experience the game, but am expecting to be sitting in my Holiday Inn Express drowning myself in Willow Rock "Half in the bag" IPA....
Some tips: Win draws. Be multifaceted and efficient on offense. Play good defense. Clear well. Avoid the Dome Foam.

Good on you going up there Doc. Good luck to the kids.
DMac

Re: Cuse

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:04 pm I am going to take ONWs reverse MOJO here. Maybe use my favorite gris-gris.... D has never won a Cuse game, but I don't see that changing. Cuse is looking for a patsy to bust up. Too many weapons. This will be the game when oft criticized goalies have a channeling of Asa. Swart goes for 4 +2 and she is the 3rd on the team in points. The Godfather will let the K-train in on the secret to beating the GOAT.

If you don't know, ten bucks to get in but don't bring cash, the place has gone cashless (that one surprised me at the Cuse-Duke game), credit cards only. I'd imagine the concession stand is that way too (kind of saves you from having to bring a sack of cash if you want something from there). Pretty sure I'm going to be there, whether you like it or not I'll come and say hello (promise to not embarrass you too much). :D
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

I am not sure I have ever been to college lax game where you have to pay to get in other than neutral site games where the venue is looking to make money.

People still carry cash?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You are talking wlax, right? I doubt there are any D1 mlax games that aren't charging these days.
Wlax was free at the Dome until recently. Last time I went to a wlax game it was $5, now I guess
it's ten (called earlier to check on that), mlax is twenty. When I first started going to games at
Cuse I really think it was free, might be wrong but I do think it was. Then it went to five bucks
and that includes the Gait era which was the best lacrosse ever. Was the best entertainment value
in town. Most people are going to pay $15 to park too (it's good to go with DMac, that includes free
parking).
Answer to your question is yes. The first time I ever used a credit card at the Dome was Saturday
and I wouldn't have then had I had a choice.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OK, made it to da Cuse.... Still not bullish on this game....
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:23 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am
cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:59 am Doesn't appear to me as if Florida is the only team that is coached to dive though, seems as if they all are. When the pressure comes and you're surrounded, go to the ground and grab your head. Lot of acting and drama going on on wlax fields.
Unfortunately, it gets taught in High School. Was watching my daughter play in Atlanta this weekend and the other team spent more time on the ground than upright. All of the flops drew calls from the refs, so I guess it worked. Comically, one girl even flopped as she took a shot with literally no one within 5 feet of her.
IT is taught in club as well....The refs cant see everything, so, it is an effective way of getting a call. I would bet 75% of the time you will get that call. You never see a "Diving" call...as there isnt even anything in the rules other than unsportsmanlike play.
It goes hand-in-hand with the head bobbing any time they feel contact.
I am not saying that they are the only ones that do it, but there is a reason that it is called the "Long Island flop" ...
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:31 pm
cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:23 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am
cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:59 am Doesn't appear to me as if Florida is the only team that is coached to dive though, seems as if they all are. When the pressure comes and you're surrounded, go to the ground and grab your head. Lot of acting and drama going on on wlax fields.
Unfortunately, it gets taught in High School. Was watching my daughter play in Atlanta this weekend and the other team spent more time on the ground than upright. All of the flops drew calls from the refs, so I guess it worked. Comically, one girl even flopped as she took a shot with literally no one within 5 feet of her.
IT is taught in club as well....The refs cant see everything, so, it is an effective way of getting a call. I would bet 75% of the time you will get that call. You never see a "Diving" call...as there isnt even anything in the rules other than unsportsmanlike play.
It goes hand-in-hand with the head bobbing any time they feel contact.
I am not saying that they are the only ones that do it, but there is a reason that it is called the "Long Island flop" ...
What’s really distasteful about this is the encouragement coaches give their players to engage in this form of cheating. Anything to get an edge and win. I detest it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Here's another example of losing draws/winning the game...navy won 13 of 22 draws but lost 13-5
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 pm Here's another example of losing draws/winning the game...navy won 13 of 22 draws but lost 13-5

How many Turnovers did Navy have? Answer...15! And that's what can happen from a Draw Control. Winning the Draw, but turning it over makes winning it a moot point. Win the Draw, don't turn the ball over.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:41 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 pm Here's another example of losing draws/winning the game...navy won 13 of 22 draws but lost 13-5

How many Turnovers did Navy have? Answer...15! And that's what can happen from a Draw Control. Winning the Draw, but turning it over makes winning it a moot point. Win the Draw, don't turn the ball over.
And I’ve yet to hear an announcer add that caveat while regurgitating the worn cliche: “Win the draw, win the game—yup yup yup!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:41 am

This might forever stand as the supreme antithesis to the Win the Draw, Win the Game adage. In the Georgetown/Hop game in 2020--the Hoyas won the draw controls 26 to 4; yet the turnovers had G'town with only slightly more at 16-13. JHU cleared way more 22-26 than GU which cleared 10-12. Funny how games can go. Wonder what Larry thinks of the spectacular goalie to attacker (Garvey to Schneidereith) pass that set up the last second game winning goal in that one, rightfully earning the goalkeeper a much deserved assist. You could look it up.

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lest we forget, they are student athletes....

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”