University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:28 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:53 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:39 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:19 am If you're a star in HS and an Under Armour All-American why would you go to MD thinking you wouldn't play? The problem is half the roster at MD was an Under Armour All-American and everyone on the roster was a star in HS. One thing CR doesn't seem to be great at is developing players. You rarely see girls go to MD who don't play early but end up being stars as juniors and seniors. She doesn't give a lot of PT to her depth even in blowout wins.
Very interesting observations. More good shtuff.
Some players at UMD play right away and aren’t UAAAs. If you are trying to add to 15 nattys you don’t really have time to sift through for that diamond in the rough that takes 3 years to develop. It’s more efficient to recruit the stars… keep the year 1 ballers that are and aren’t UAAAs and transfer in the late developers. This is the big time. The dynasty. The royalty. Crabcakes, Old Bay, Statewide Pride, the Flag, Lacrosse.
What’s your assessment of the last two seasons? Why were the Terps subpar?
EF is definitely more of a Terp expert than I, but just from what I can recall - in 2019 the Terps graduated an absolute monster class of talent. I think they looked stronger in 2020 than they did in 2021 because they still had some pieces from 2019 (Hartshorn, Doherty) and 2020 could've been a season where players who were previously playing in reserve roles were finally able to get ample experience, develop, and gain confidence. I think this would've lead to a stronger showing in 2021. Instead, they barely got their feet wet (playing in 6 games) and were still relatively inexperienced when 2021 came around. Hartshorn and Doherty both chose not to return for 2021 and to move on to post-grad life. Colson was also slow to return in 2021 while recovering form a torn ACL. To me it just seemed a little bit like the perfect storm/sequence of events.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

So many factors. They will be a threat and much better than the last 2 years. I’d say equal to Northwestern at least.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:19 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:46 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:38 am Schettig is the only one on that list that actually played meaningful minutes at MD. With the new transfer rules it makes sense that girls that aren't playing are leaving. As Larry alluded to it's actually more surprising that more girls don't transfer once they realize they aren't going to play there. MD will have more than most schools because they bring in a TON of girls that are highly ranked coming out of HS and many of them end up never seeing the field. There are more UAAA's on MDs bench than most schools ever have on their rosters.
Seems a contradiction. Why would so many student athletes try for Maryland when so many don’t play? Is it a false sense of their own abilities? Is the team misleading them? I know it’s a frustrating experience to ride the pine for months and sometimes years from a conversation I had with a BC lacrosse mom back in early 2020. Maybe the players shoot too high and no one is there to tell them their skills don’t match where they want to go. Larry has alluded to this multiple times.
If you're a star in HS and an Under Armour All-American why would you go to MD thinking you wouldn't play? The problem is half the roster at MD was an Under Armour All-American and everyone on the roster was a star in HS. One thing CR doesn't seem to be great at is developing players. You rarely see girls go to MD who don't play early but end up being stars as juniors and seniors. She doesn't give a lot of PT to her depth even in blowout wins.

I hope that you're not slamming Cathy Reese on the "doesn't seem to be great at developing players" thing. Really? If you want to say that, fine. However, I think you will get an argument from people with insight as to how Maryland works. I will say this...I do not agree with you on that.
The fact is I can start naming coaches from all 3 Divisions that do not seem to develop players. I have said for years that player development seems to be a fading art in the Lax world of 1st year gratification. You rarely see ANYWHERE that a player is developed and nurtured for a second or third year emergence. To quote Metallica..."Sad, But True".
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:06 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:38 am Schettig is the only one on that list that actually played meaningful minutes at MD. With the new transfer rules it makes sense that girls that aren't playing are leaving. As Larry alluded to it's actually more surprising that more girls don't transfer once they realize they aren't going to play there. MD will have more than most schools because they bring in a TON of girls that are highly ranked coming out of HS and many of them end up never seeing the field. There are more UAAA's on MDs bench than most schools ever have on their rosters.
Seems a contradiction. Why would so many student athletes try for Maryland when so many don’t play? Is it a false sense of their own abilities? Is the team misleading them? I know it’s a frustrating experience to ride the pine for months and sometimes years from a conversation I had with a BC lacrosse mom back in early 2020. Maybe the players shoot too high and no one is there to tell them their skills don’t match where they want to go. Larry has alluded to this multiple times.
If you're a star in HS and an Under Armour All-American why would you go to MD thinking you wouldn't play? The problem is half the roster at MD was an Under Armour All-American and everyone on the roster was a star in HS. One thing CR doesn't seem to be great at is developing players. You rarely see girls go to MD who don't play early but end up being stars as juniors and seniors. She doesn't give a lot of PT to her depth even in blowout wins.

I hope that you're not slamming Cathy Reese on the "doesn't seem to be great at developing players" thing. Really? If you want to say that, fine. However, I think you will get an argument from people with insight as to how Maryland works. I will say this...I do not agree with you on that.
The fact is I can start naming coaches from all 3 Divisions that do not seem to develop players. I have said for years that player development seems to be a fading art in the Lax world of 1st year gratification. You rarely see ANYWHERE that a player is developed and nurtured for a second or third year emergence. To quote Metallica..."Sad, But True".
I'm not sure I understand the main point here. Is it that no one develops players so CR shouldn't be singled out? Or is it that CR is one of the only coaches who develops players though most other coaches don't?
OuttaNowhereWregget

This isn’t conclusive by any means but it doesn’t put the Hannah Leubecker injury rumors to rest either. She’s conspicuous by her absence here. Just hoping it’s not serious enough to cancel the ‘22 season for her.

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:44 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:06 am

I'm not sure I understand the main point here. Is it that no one develops players so CR shouldn't be singled out? Or is it that CR is one of the only coaches who develops players though most other coaches don't?
I think it’s neither.

And I also think it’s worth pointing out that player development is a two-way street. Effort, attention, accountability, and communication are needed from both the athlete and coach.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 am it’s worth pointing out that player development is a two-way street. Effort, attention, accountability, and communication are needed from both the athlete and coach.
Well said
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am This isn’t conclusive by any means but it doesn’t put the Hannah Leubecker injury rumors to rest either. She’s conspicuous by her absence here. Just hoping it’s not serious enough to cancel the ‘22 season for her.

If Leubecker is lost for the 2022 season, it will be a big loss for the Terps. Hannah was formidable last year and would have only been more dangerous in her junior year. Injuries are most times kept like top secret national security files in D1 women’s lacrosse so who knows when/if an announcement will be made. In any event, the Terps, who are kind of in a rebuilding year, really can’t afford to lose a player of Leubecker’s talent and skill without it hurting.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:45 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am This isn’t conclusive by any means but it doesn’t put the Hannah Leubecker injury rumors to rest either. She’s conspicuous by her absence here. Just hoping it’s not serious enough to cancel the ‘22 season for her.

If Leubecker is lost for the 2022 season, it will be a big loss for the Terps. Hannah was formidable last year and would have only been more dangerous in her junior year. Injuries are most times kept like top secret national security files in D1 women’s lacrosse so who knows when/if an announcement will be made. In any event, the Terps, who are kind of in a rebuilding year, really can’t afford to lose a player of Leubecker’s talent and skill without it hurting.
She'll be back for spring season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:45 pm

She'll be back for spring season.
So it isn’t an ACL/MCL. Great news.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Great news—looks like Leubecker will be ready for first draw that lovely 2nd week of February. Easily my two favorite Terps.

Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

As TL would have it. No doubt Turtles Lax would have made this announcement if he was still active here.

OuttaNowhereWregget

2022 schedule!

https://umterps.com/sports/womens-lacro ... edule/2022

Feb 12 (Sat) 3:30 PM Away Saint Joseph's

Feb 16 (Wed) 5:00 PM Away Virginia

Feb 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Florida

Mar 1 (Tue) 5:00 PM Home Delaware

Mar 5 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away William & Mary

Mar 12 (Sat) 1:00 PM Home Villanova

Mar 19 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Rutgers

Mar 23 (Wed) 5:00 PM Home Penn

Mar 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home James Madison

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Georgetown

Apr 2 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away Johns Hopkins

Apr 7 (Thu) 7:00 PM Home Penn State

Apr 13 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Princeton

Apr 17 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Ohio State

Apr 23 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Northwestern

Apr 30 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Michigan
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Unfortunate the Carolina game is off the schedule this year
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm Unfortunate the Carolina game is off the schedule this year
The initial thought I have about that is coach Reese chose to shield her young charges from getting dragged by the Heels again. I don’t know that for certain. These two teams have been playing each other in the regular season for years.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: 2022 schedule!

https://umterps.com/news/2021/12/8/wome ... edule.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:54 am https://umterps.com/sports/womens-lacro ... edule/2022

Feb 12 (Sat) 3:30 PM Away Saint Joseph's

Feb 16 (Wed) 5:00 PM Away Virginia

Feb 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Florida

Mar 1 (Tue) 5:00 PM Home Delaware

Mar 5 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away William & Mary

Mar 12 (Sat) 1:00 PM Home Villanova

Mar 19 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Rutgers

Mar 23 (Wed) 5:00 PM Home Penn

Mar 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home James Madison

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Georgetown

Apr 2 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away Johns Hopkins

Apr 7 (Thu) 7:00 PM Home Penn State

Apr 13 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Princeton

Apr 17 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Ohio State

Apr 23 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Northwestern

Apr 30 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Michigan
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm Unfortunate the Carolina game is off the schedule this year
Real bummer…CR didn’t want them to play UNC (citing “budget”) even when they offered to come up to Maryland
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 pm
Real bummer…CR didn’t want them to play UNC (citing “budget”) even when they offered to come up to Maryland
Not playing 'Cuse either....
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:21 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:32 pm
Not playing 'Cuse either....
Wow you are right. Def not a challenging schedule. Only tough team they play is NU and they play everyone.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”