North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxhead44

Re: North Carolina

Post by Laxhead44 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm Few things. I think you guys are gushing a bit much on Warehime. A whopping 12 points as an attacker her sophomore year and 45 points last year. I saw her as mostly a 4th option cutter and recipient of passes from Hoeg when teams were focused on Ortega. People on this sight talk like CW was so good that they moved Hoeg and gave the X spot to her. That is 100 percent false. She mostly played on an offensive string and the only reason why Hoeg moved from her spot is because she was face guarded in most games. Hoeg is the all time leading assist leader at UNC. They moved her at times out of necessity. I do agree that Rose Growney is a great athlete and is underrated. One of the best athletes on that team. She should be a more important part if that offense.
Not gushing on Warehime, but from the games I've seen, she is very solid contributor on a top 2 team. She brings a style that the other attackers don't with her cutting, lax IQ and size. Hoeg was the QB/feeder, Ortega the dodger/scorer, Growney the creator, and Warehime the cerebral cutter. That unit was pretty lights out as they all brought something different to the table. Warehime's sophomore year was the 2020 COVID shortened year I believe, and according to the UNC stats, she played in 5 of the teams 7 games and scored 10 goals....2 goals per game is pretty whopping ;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From Anouk Andres of the Swiss National Team. Tar Heels have fans in Europe.

Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Laxhead44 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:28 pm
Lax101 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm Few things. I think you guys are gushing a bit much on Warehime. A whopping 12 points as an attacker her sophomore year and 45 points last year. I saw her as mostly a 4th option cutter and recipient of passes from Hoeg when teams were focused on Ortega. People on this sight talk like CW was so good that they moved Hoeg and gave the X spot to her. That is 100 percent false. She mostly played on an offensive string and the only reason why Hoeg moved from her spot is because she was face guarded in most games. Hoeg is the all time leading assist leader at UNC. They moved her at times out of necessity. I do agree that Rose Growney is a great athlete and is underrated. One of the best athletes on that team. She should be a more important part if that offense.
Not gushing on Warehime, but from the games I've seen, she is very solid contributor on a top 2 team. She brings a style that the other attackers don't with her cutting, lax IQ and size. Hoeg was the QB/feeder, Ortega the dodger/scorer, Growney the creator, and Warehime the cerebral cutter. That unit was pretty lights out as they all brought something different to the table. Warehime's sophomore year was the 2020 COVID shortened year I believe, and according to the UNC stats, she played in 5 of the teams 7 games and scored 10 goals....2 goals per game is pretty whopping ;)
I would take a look at the UNC Northwestern game at Northwestern ( What a facility ) ,just before the 2020 season was ended. This game is a prime example of Warehime playing her role ( and doing it very well against a very good NU team ) if my recollection is correct.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Itsallgood wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:55 pm
Laxhead44 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:28 pm
I would take a look at the UNC Northwestern game at Northwestern ( What a facility ) ,just before the 2020 season was ended. This game is a prime example of Warehime playing her role ( and doing it very well against a very good NU team ) if my recollection is correct.
I was very impressed with her this year, she definitely deserves more recognition than she gets
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Don't think I knew any of this:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... astroianni

Good story.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Clearly the best middie in the country as she returns for her graduate and final year at UNC and she is said to be one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. Shocking that UNC has not used he more on the offensive side of the field as a dodger and scorer. If you look at her lifetime offensive stats they are somewhat shocking. It highlights the fact that the UNC offense has not been that "inclusive" in the past with the ball largely running through Hoeg and Ortega. She might be a 300 point scorer at any other school.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:05 pm Clearly the best middie in the country as she returns for her graduate and final year at UNC and she is said to be one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. Shocking that UNC has not used he more on the offensive side of the field as a dodger and scorer. If you look at her lifetime offensive stats they are somewhat shocking. It highlights the fact that the UNC offense has not been that "inclusive" in the past with the ball largely running through Hoeg and Ortega. She might be a 300 point scorer at any other school.
one of my favorite players - incredibly unselfish, team first player. Agree, imo, that she is the best all around middie in the country yet still flies under the radar a bit. It will be interesting to see how they split up the draw now that Dirks is on the team.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:05 pm Clearly the best middie in the country as she returns for her graduate and final year at UNC and she is said to be one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. Shocking that UNC has not used he more on the offensive side of the field as a dodger and scorer. If you look at her lifetime offensive stats they are somewhat shocking. It highlights the fact that the UNC offense has not been that "inclusive" in the past with the ball largely running through Hoeg and Ortega. She might be a 300 point scorer at any other school.
She shot 37% this year….with plenty of opportunities
Ortega shot close to 66% and Hoeg almost 50%

AM is very good on draw. But offensively ….McCool had a better shooting percentage
OuttaNowhereWregget

What do you think makes her clearly the best middie over Belle Smith? Just curious. I know Mastro is a grad student and Smith is entering her sophomore year. I know Mastro has way more draw controls but it's more about the eye test for me. Belle Smith is a real force and a leader. I think she'll only be more impressive this year and as I have said before in another thread, BC will be her team in 2023. Anyway--just curious as to your thoughts.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Fair point about Belle Smith. IMO she is the second best middle in the country and will eventually be the better of the two. People don't realize that Smith saw limited playing time the first half of the year as she worked her way into the starting line-up after having Covid. She had a limited role in the first UNC game and then barely left the field in the Final Four. I give the edge to Ally because of her impact on the draw and her speed in the middle of the field. Belle keeps it close with her dynamic offensive play. Her one year offensive output was more than Ally did in her first 3 years. Will be fun to watch them both compete this year.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 pm
one of my favorite players - incredibly unselfish, team first player. Agree, imo, that she is the best all around middie in the country yet still flies under the radar a bit. It will be interesting to see how they split up the draw now that Dirks is on the team.
I agree as well. I had no idea of the extent of the hamstring she was battling. And I'm interested to see how Ally and Dirks complement each other in the midfield and on the draw. Ella Little got a fair amount of reps on the draw too and it'll be interesting to see how she's developed in the off season. They could be very deep on the draw. Hillman is very good off the circle as well
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:29 am
8meterPA wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 pm
I agree as well. I had no idea of the extent of the hamstring she was battling. And I'm interested to see how Ally and Dirks complement each other in the midfield and on the draw. Ella Little got a fair amount of reps on the draw too and it'll be interesting to see how she's developed in the off season. They could be very deep on the draw. Hillman is very good off the circle as well
embarrassment of riches
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Oh boy....I really like Ally, D played with her at Vail. Best Middie in the country? I cant think that is a "clear" thing. She is talented, but she also plays with arguably the best team and teammates in the country. As a parent with a D1 middie, I have seen a lot of the top middies. Ally is very good, but I can't support the "clearly the best middie" argument. Please let me know why she is better than all 300+ starting middies in D1. 35 points in 21 games? Didn't make the top 150 in goals per game.....

Again, I really like Ally as a player and a person. But, best Middie, I am not buying that.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:41 pm
Oh boy....I really like Ally, D played with her at Vail. Best Middie in the country? I cant think that is a "clear" thing. She is talented, but she also plays with arguably the best team and teammates in the country. As a parent with a D1 middie, I have seen a lot of the top middies. Ally is very good, but I can't support the "clearly the best middie" argument. Please let me know why she is better than all 300+ starting middies in D1. 35 points in 21 games? Didn't make the top 150 in goals per game.....

Again, I really like Ally as a player and a person. But, best Middie, I am not buying that.
She is a consensus 1st team all american, so can argue she is one of the top, 4 at least. For me it's the all around game, not just points in the box score.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:11 pm

She is a consensus 1st team all american, so can argue she is one of the top, 4 at least. For me it's the all around game, not just points in the box score.
Hey PA....you have a good point.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:02 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Hey PA....you have a good point.
Even the blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn!
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

I think Ally is a wonderful player as well , however I’m looking for a little bit better than 32% shooting from my middies, you could argue she wasn’t the best midfielder on her own team last year ( I’m thinking SRG ), in a big spot last year vs BC in the semis in her Sr year , I need more to be considered the top midfielder in the game. The top midfielder should be capable of carrying her team by the time she is a senior in a big game ,especially when you consider the attack ( Hoeg, Ortega, Wurzberger ) was drawing so much defensive interest. I will even give you that UNC missed Coach Dowd tremendously in this game.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

First met Ally in Vail ..: impressive as a player and a teammate. Always wondered why she was not a bigger contributor at UNC early in her career. Now we know. Sadly I have a personal experience with her type of injury and being a patient of Struan Coleman is not a club anyone wants to be in. 32% shooting down the stretch is not going to win anyone middie of the year. As my daughter said back then “the middies actively hurt UNC in that game” far worse than ally was Miller. Levy’s fondness for Miller was a big weakness in UNC last year, IMHO. I hope ally has the season of a lifetime in 2022. And BTW, SRG was moved to the attack last season. Far better for for her skills, also IHO.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

For those saying it is not Ally, who would you pick. Dirk's, Choma, Smith, Watson, Petty?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:06 pm For those saying it is not Ally, who would you pick. Dirk's, Choma, Smith, Watson, Petty?
I would vote for Smith

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”