Stony Brook

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Stony Brook

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:08 am Innovator Joe has lots of different ideas. Perhaps other teams do this but I haven't seen it. With all the games I've seen at Boston College, I never saw a team warm up the way the Seawolves did that rainy day in May of 2018. All to say, practice must be a little more interesting and fun when Joe runs it.

A lot of teams utilize bounce backs and probably do so in different ways. Although I’ve seen a lot more of this kind of bounce back in college programs: (https://www.universallacrosse.com/all-b ... I0QAvD_BwE) probably because the wheels make it easy to move and store. The ones in the video are the type that most here have probably had in their backyard at one point or another.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:08 am Innovator Joe has lots of different ideas. Perhaps other teams do this but I haven't seen it. With all the games I've seen at Boston College, I never saw a team warm up the way the Seawolves did that rainy day in May of 2018. All to say, practice must be a little more interesting and fun when Joe runs it.
A lot of teams utilize bounce backs and probably do so in different ways. Although I’ve seen a lot more of this kind of bounce back in college programs: (https://www.universallacrosse.com/all-b ... I0QAvD_BwE) probably because the wheels make it easy to move and store. The ones in the video are the type that most here have probably had in their backyard at one point or another.
Makes sense. I've just never seen this configuration with all the practice videos I've been seeing published lately. This almost seems like a factory assembly line.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 am
Makes sense. I've just never seen this configuration with all the practice videos I've been seeing published lately. This almost seems like a factory assembly line.
We used bounce-backs this way because the line really moves, and players get a huge number of reps. We are looking for muscle memory in this most basic action - run, pass, catch, shoot. You can move the line over so that the pass is made right handed, the catch across the body or lefty, and the shot with either hand. Etc
OuttaNowhereWregget

Coach Joe has a few thoughts on the philosophy of his team going into 2022 and a top defender on his team (sophomore midfielder Clare Levy). I can see how he could inspire his team with his mindset. "Next man up" sounds dated though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVTY5UfhIZM ... _copy_link
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

ONW with his smartass "Innovator Joe" comments is so annoying. You really seem to know nothing about Joe Spallina. Go do your research before you open your mouth and hit the keyboard.

His Resume is outstanding. He played on National Championship teams(Adelphi, D2), he coached National Championship teams(Adelphi Women's Lax, 09-10-11), coached an MLL Championship team(2015). He coaches youth, club, boys, girls, Men's, Women's. HE LOVES THE SPORT!

I can tell you this about Joe. He cares about 2 things : His Family and Lacrosse. That simple.

He has had a ton of success. He took a Stony Brook team, that had only three(I stand corrected) winning season in its history, and turned them into a consistent top 10 National Power. He doesn't get recruits from Manhasset, Northport, Darien, McDonough, NDP. He gets the kids he wants that are similar to how he was and still is : hardworkers with tremendous drive and passion. No one is more frustrated by his lack of success in the NCAA Tournament than Joe. He wants to get to that Final Four weekend like nobody's business.

This I know...he will keep working and fighting to achieve the goals he has set for his program and he will not give up.

And I've never met the guy in my life. ;) :roll: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:30 pm ONW with his smartass "Innovator Joe" comments is so annoying. You really seem to know nothing about Joe Spallina. Go do your research before you open your mouth and hit the keyboard.

His Resume is outstanding. He played on National Championship teams(Adelphi, D2), he coached National Championship teams(Adelphi Women's Lax, 09-10-11), coached an MLL Championship team(2015). He coaches youth, club, boys, girls, Men's, Women's. HE LOVES THE SPORT!

I can tell you this about Joe. He cares about 2 things : His Family and Lacrosse. That simple.

He has had a ton of success. He took a Stony Brook team, that had only one winning season in its history, and turned them into a consistent top 10 National Power. He doesn't get recruits from Manhasset, Northport, Darien, McDonough, NDP. He gets the kids he wants that are similar to how he was and still is : hardworkers with tremendous drive and passion. No one is more frustrated by his lack of success in the NCAA Tournament than Joe. He wants to get to that Final Four weekend like nobody's business.

This I know...he will keep working and fighting to achieve the goals he has set for his program and he will not give up.

And I've never met the guy in my life. ;) :roll: :lol: :lol:
I like Joe. I’ve had interactions with him and he is a good guy with a neat sense of humor. He is an innovator. That’s why I refer to him as Innovator Joe.
OuttaNowhereWregget

So--two things you're wrong about here, Larry.
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:30 pm ONW with his smartass "Innovator Joe" comments is so annoying. You really seem to know nothing about Joe Spallina. Go do your research before you open your mouth and hit the keyboard.
1) My "Innovator Joe" nickname is meant as a compliment to Joe Spallina. You assume to be able to read tone and intention into my words. Yet instead of asking me about it--you bluster and blunder into a false and insulting accusation. There is nothing negative in the context anytime I've used "Innovator Joe" in this thread. How are either of these quotes below even remotely smartass comments??
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:03 am It will be interesting to see how the post Ally Kennedy/Taryn Ohlmiller Seawolves do in '22. They'll outwork your team most of the time until they get to the upper echelon/more talented teams where hard work alone won't cut it. Still--I wish them well. I like innovator Joe more and more.
Also--I agree with a previous poster who wrote something along the lines of--don't insult someone in public and then try to apologize in private. If you insult a body in public in front of others--then you should apologize in public in front of others.
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:30 pm He took a Stony Brook team, that had only one winning season in its history
2) Seems you don't heed your own advice about doing research. Stony Brook had 3 winning seasons before Joe got there in 2012: 2005 when they went 8-7; 2007 when they went 13-4; and 2008 when they went 9-6.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ellie Masera pictured (center)

Nice article to get the Stony Brook faithful anticipating '22 for the Seawolves. Ol' Innovator Joe talks about his team, Ellie Masera and the upcoming season. It's good for the rest of D1 to have a strong Stony Brook team. From what Joe says, that's exactly what we can expect in '22. Looking forward to it...

"Fall Ball Focus: Stony Brook Expecting to Catch Opponents by Surprise
THU OCT 28 2021 | KENNY DEJOHN | College

There’s a lot of “wait-and-see” when it comes to the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team this spring. But it’s not in the traditional sense of the phrase.

Instead of head coach Joe Spallina waiting to see which players step up over the course of the season, “wait-and-see” is actually more of a warning to other teams. Consider it something to the effect of, “Just wait. You’ll see.”
Down two program staples in Ally Kennedy and Taryn Ohlmiller, the Seawolves enter a new era. A program often identified by the strength of its top players, this Stony Brook team gives off a different vibe. Instead of beating you with two players, the Seawolves might beat you with five or six.

“It will be more of a sum of its parts than it’s been, but we’ve got some pieces in there that are super dynamic,” Spallina said. “They aren’t household names yet.”

Spallina’s confident that 2022 will prove to be Ellie Masera’s breakout. The sophomore midfielder was the youngest played invited to try out for the U.S. women’s national team in July. As a freshman, she scored 17 goals and won 25 draws.

“She’s completely unguardable,” Spallina said. “She’s probably the most unguardable kid we’ve got. She’s got the tenacity. She’s got the great first step. Her first step is pristine. “I think she’s special. You’ll see. Soon.”

Top to bottom, Stony Brook is fast and athletic. Masera and Jaden Hampel are blossoming contributors in the midfield, joining veterans Sarah Pulis, Rayna Sabella and Siobhan Rafferty. Rafferty scored 33 goals in 2021 and converted on 83.6 percent of her shots on goal. Albany transfer Kyla Zapolski will also be a factor.

A team driven by its midfield and a defense anchored by Clare Levy will also feature junior attacker Kailyn Hart, a player the lacrosse world got to know as a freshman with several goals featured on SportsCenter’s Top 10. In the cage, Virginia transfer Charlie Campbell can be a gamechanger when locked in.

“This is a good group,” Spallina said. “I told them, ‘You guys are going to be a little bit of a secret for maybe one game.’”

It’s certainly a changing of the guard for Stony Brook, a perennial NCAA tournament team that nearly took down a loaded North Carolina team in the NCAA quarterfinals in May. Kennedy and Ohlmiller combined for 125 goals and 64 assists a season ago, meaning there will be opportunities available for players to step up.

Longtime assistant coach Kim Hillier is now the head coach at Drexel, and Sydney Pirreca was brought in as a new member of Spallina’s staff. Volunteer assistant Kylie Ohlmiller is also no longer with the program, though she’ll be replaced by Kennedy — perhaps a move that will help with the program’s transition into its next chapter.

“Our kids grew up a lot at the end of last year,” Spallina said. “Maybe we don’t have, on paper, right now, 1-2. But 3-15, we’re special.”

STONY BROOK AT A GLANCE

Hart (27 goals, 14 assists) is the team’s returning leader in points … Charlotte Verhulst (47 draw controls) will be challenged in the center circle by Zapolski and Hampel … Stony Brook holds the longest active in-conference winning streak (54 games) of any NCAA sport in the country. The Seawolves have won eight straight America East titles, a streak that doesn’t appear to be in danger of being snapped this spring … Spallina called Levy “the best defender we’ve ever had.” Levy, a lockdown 1-v-1 defender who can complement Stony Brook’s zone, never played club lacrosse … Haley Dillon is back after missing much of 2021 with an injury … Dillon’s return means Sabella, who moved from midfield to defense and thrived last spring … will be a versatile option at either position … Spallina agreed to a contract extension through the end of the 2026 season on September 22."

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... y-surprise
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Didn't know that Charlie Campbell had decided to do her fifth/Covid year at SBU. Good pickup for them.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:10 am Image
Ellie Masera pictured (center)

Nice article to get the Stony Brook faithful anticipating '22 for the Seawolves. Ol' Innovator Joe talks about his team, Ellie Masera and the upcoming season. It's good for the rest of D1 to have a strong Stony Brook team. From what Joe says, that's exactly what we can expect in '22. Looking forward to it...

"Fall Ball Focus: Stony Brook Expecting to Catch Opponents by Surprise
THU OCT 28 2021 | KENNY DEJOHN | College

There’s a lot of “wait-and-see” when it comes to the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team this spring. But it’s not in the traditional sense of the phrase.

Instead of head coach Joe Spallina waiting to see which players step up over the course of the season, “wait-and-see” is actually more of a warning to other teams. Consider it something to the effect of, “Just wait. You’ll see.”
Down two program staples in Ally Kennedy and Taryn Ohlmiller, the Seawolves enter a new era. A program often identified by the strength of its top players, this Stony Brook team gives off a different vibe. Instead of beating you with two players, the Seawolves might beat you with five or six.

“It will be more of a sum of its parts than it’s been, but we’ve got some pieces in there that are super dynamic,” Spallina said. “They aren’t household names yet.”

Spallina’s confident that 2022 will prove to be Ellie Masera’s breakout. The sophomore midfielder was the youngest played invited to try out for the U.S. women’s national team in July. As a freshman, she scored 17 goals and won 25 draws.

“She’s completely unguardable,” Spallina said. “She’s probably the most unguardable kid we’ve got. She’s got the tenacity. She’s got the great first step. Her first step is pristine. “I think she’s special. You’ll see. Soon.”

Top to bottom, Stony Brook is fast and athletic. Masera and Jaden Hampel are blossoming contributors in the midfield, joining veterans Sarah Pulis, Rayna Sabella and Siobhan Rafferty. Rafferty scored 33 goals in 2021 and converted on 83.6 percent of her shots on goal. Albany transfer Kyla Zapolski will also be a factor.

A team driven by its midfield and a defense anchored by Clare Levy will also feature junior attacker Kailyn Hart, a player the lacrosse world got to know as a freshman with several goals featured on SportsCenter’s Top 10. In the cage, Virginia transfer Charlie Campbell can be a gamechanger when locked in.

“This is a good group,” Spallina said. “I told them, ‘You guys are going to be a little bit of a secret for maybe one game.’”

It’s certainly a changing of the guard for Stony Brook, a perennial NCAA tournament team that nearly took down a loaded North Carolina team in the NCAA quarterfinals in May. Kennedy and Ohlmiller combined for 125 goals and 64 assists a season ago, meaning there will be opportunities available for players to step up.

Longtime assistant coach Kim Hillier is now the head coach at Drexel, and Sydney Pirreca was brought in as a new member of Spallina’s staff. Volunteer assistant Kylie Ohlmiller is also no longer with the program, though she’ll be replaced by Kennedy — perhaps a move that will help with the program’s transition into its next chapter.

“Our kids grew up a lot at the end of last year,” Spallina said. “Maybe we don’t have, on paper, right now, 1-2. But 3-15, we’re special.”

STONY BROOK AT A GLANCE

Hart (27 goals, 14 assists) is the team’s returning leader in points … Charlotte Verhulst (47 draw controls) will be challenged in the center circle by Zapolski and Hampel … Stony Brook holds the longest active in-conference winning streak (54 games) of any NCAA sport in the country. The Seawolves have won eight straight America East titles, a streak that doesn’t appear to be in danger of being snapped this spring … Spallina called Levy “the best defender we’ve ever had.” Levy, a lockdown 1-v-1 defender who can complement Stony Brook’s zone, never played club lacrosse … Haley Dillon is back after missing much of 2021 with an injury … Dillon’s return means Sabella, who moved from midfield to defense and thrived last spring … will be a versatile option at either position … Spallina agreed to a contract extension through the end of the 2026 season on September 22."

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... y-surprise
A better shot of Ms. Masera

OuttaNowhereWregget

Stony Brook is currently featuring a “story” on their Instagram account of a practice they’re running. I see a lot of teams posting footage of their practices. I’ve never seen any that look even remotely similar to the practices Innovator Joe runs out on the Island. As I’ve said before, it must be interesting and fun to practice under Spallina.
laxer12

Re: Stony Brook releases 2022 schedule

Post by laxer12 »

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (230.01 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxer12 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:44 pmPicture1.jpg
Tough first 6 games....After that only Princeton should cause them trouble....
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:40 am
Sixteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm
Sixteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.
I thought this as well. Had to do a double-take when I first saw it; way too many away games.

Would be interesting to find out the reasoning behind it.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

laxer12 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:42 pm
I thought this as well. Had to do a double-take when I first saw it; way too many away games.

At first glance I thought maybe the weather. Northwestern and Syracuse playing inside and Virginia in Florida are clearly warmer but Dartmouth throws that theory out the window
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:13 pm

At first glance I thought maybe the weather. Northwestern and Syracuse playing inside and Virginia in Florida are clearly warmer but Dartmouth throws that theory out the window
Hah! Had exactly the same thoughts. But playing on the Island on February 27 will likely be a little better than Hanover, NH in late February.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I checked the schedule for the men's team which shows 7 out of 14 scheduled games at home. Also did a little bit of googling for construction or repair to the LaValle stadium and couldn't find anything either.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm

I checked the schedule for the men's team which shows 7 out of 14 scheduled games at home. Also did a little bit of googling for construction or repair to the LaValle stadium and couldn't find anything either.
My guess is that it may be hard to get top 15-20 teams to make that trip to the island and that if JS wants to play those teams he has to do the traveling.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”