Stony Brook

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Stony Brook

Post by Cletus »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:36 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:07 am
Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 am Ortega average 4.6 goals per game and Hawryschuk average 4.8. Ortega leads the country in shot percentage with a .762 and EH is not even in the top 50. Hoeg holds the career assist record at UNC and she isn't even done yet.
Again:

“Neither Ortega nor Hoeg have across the board numbers with Hawryschuk.”
Ortega has 240 points in 3 years to Hawryshuk's 233 points in 4 years. Hoeg has 253 points in 4 years. It's just math!
If you read my entire thread on this topic I wouldn’t have to spell it out for you. Across-the-board means goals, assists, ground balls, caused turnovers, draw controls. All taken together, Emily‘s numbers are better. And again, this is all just my opinion.
Laxhead44

Post by Laxhead44 »

Looks like the Seawolves are headed to Chapel Hill this Sunday for a 1 pm game (in lieu of JMU due to COVID)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxhead44 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:22 pm Looks like the Seawolves are headed to Chapel Hill this Sunday for a 1 pm game (in lieu of JMU due to COVID)
Say, What?! WOW! This would be some kind of matchup!

This from the Heels website:

“CHAPEL HILL—The women's lacrosse season opener between North Carolina and James Madison scheduled for Saturday February 13 has been postponed due to Covid-19 protocols related to the JMU program. A decision on rescheduling the game will be made at a later date.

UNC officials are working toward the possibility of scheduling another opponent for this weekend.”

Nice breaking news there, Laxhead!
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:16 am
Laxhead44 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:22 pm Looks like the Seawolves are headed to Chapel Hill this Sunday for a 1 pm game (in lieu of JMU due to COVID)
Say, What?! WOW! This would be some kind of matchup!

This from the Heels website:

“CHAPEL HILL—The women's lacrosse season opener between North Carolina and James Madison scheduled for Saturday February 13 has been postponed due to Covid-19 protocols related to the JMU program. A decision on rescheduling the game will be made at a later date.

UNC officials are working toward the possibility of scheduling another opponent for this weekend.”

Nice breaking news there, Laxhead!
This one makes perfect sense with both coaches being on the USWNT staff. Glad they were able to put this together with such short notice.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

IMHO a tougher first test for UNC than JMU. Kudos to both Coaches for finding a way to make it work. Should be a good game!
Lacrossetheworld

Post by Lacrossetheworld »

And my ESPN app is telling me we can watch it live too!
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Wow what a gift! Not surprised these two programs jumped at this opportunity.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

“When you’re preparing for North Carolina, this may be the best way. You don’t have a lot of time to outsmart yourself." Joe Spallina

I like this. Seems like a level headed way to look at it.
Cletus

Stony Brook schedule change

Post by Cletus »

Stony Brook adds USC to their schedule in place of the Villanova game that was canceled which gives them another smidge toward RPI and SOS. The game will be played next Tuesday in New York on the LSN network. It will also be the first time the Huff sisters play against each other in their college careers.
JoeMauer89

Re: Stony Brook schedule change

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 am Stony Brook adds USC to their schedule in place of the Villanova game that was canceled which gives them another smidge toward RPI and SOS. The game will be played next Tuesday in New York on the LSN network. It will also be the first time the Huff sisters play against each other in their college careers.
USC was going to be in the Northeast to play UNH on 2/24, but UNH had some positive Covid tests. So they upgrade their opponent, now take on SB on 2/23 and then head to Newton on 2/26 to face BC at Noon. Great job by Munday, Spallina and crew to make this happen!

Joe
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

SB just added a game today with literally no notice. They play Boston University today at 1:00 pm at SB. Really have to give SB credit for the willingness to play games.

Having said that, it may not be a very competitive game - BU is one of those teams that hasn't had a lot of time on the field together. Up until Friday, BU only had 7 games scheduled and just added 3 non-conference games to get to 10 total games for 2021.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:33 am SB just added a game today with literally no notice. They play Boston University today at 1:00 pm at SB. Really have to give SB credit for the willingness to play games.

Having said that, it may not be a very competitive game.
They announced it on Twitter early Friday afternoon. And I’m with you—I’ll be stunned if it’s anything more than a glorified scrimmage.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

[Re: Stony Brook schedule change
Post by JoeMauer89 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Cletus wrote: ↑Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 am
Stony Brook adds USC to their schedule in place of the Villanova game that was canceled which gives them another smidge toward RPI and SOS. The game will be played next Tuesday in New York on the LSN network. It will also be the first time the Huff sisters play against each other in their college careers.
USC was going to be in the Northeast to play UNH on 2/24, but UNH had some positive Covid tests. So they upgrade their opponent, now take on SB on 2/23 and then head to Newton on 2/26 to face BC at Noon. Great job by Munday, Spallina and crew to make this happen!

Joe/quote]

I give Stony Brook a lot of credit for fitting this game in and helping USC out. They are limited options for Pac12 teams to play out of conference games this year. It is great to see USC pick up another quality game on their only trip to the east coast this year. It definitely makes the trip more worthwhile. BC / Stony Brook games should help provide a read on how good USC is this year. They play a tough zone and have one of the best goalies in the country. Not sure if they have enough firepower to match up offensively with teams in the top 10.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I went looking for something written recently on these boards that a typical Stony Brook season consisted of sweeping the America East conference and losing their out of conference games against good teams. I couldn't find it. Can't argue with the AE synopsis--that's a given and has been for years. But one can't say Stony Brook doesn't win their share of games outside their conference against good teams. They went into the Dome and knocked off #4 Syracuse first game of the season in 2020, then polished off #11 Princeton a few weeks later. They typically put up a good fight against the top 10 and I would say they win most of them without going back to look up the scores. I have to think that one of these days they'll break through as long as Joe is at the helm. If he moves on, all bets are off. Which reminds me--I'm still intrigued to know if Joe put his name in the hat for the Syracuse job along with the original poster who brought the question up a few days ago.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:31 am I went looking for something written recently on these boards that a typical Stony Brook season consisted of sweeping the America East conference and losing their out of conference games against good teams. I couldn't find it. Can't argue with the AE synopsis--that's a given and has been for years. But one can't say Stony Brook doesn't win their share of games outside their conference against good teams. They went into the Dome and knocked off #4 Syracuse first game of the season in 2020, then polished off #11 Princeton a few weeks later. They typically put up a good fight against the top 10 and I would say they win most of them without going back to look up the scores. I have to think that one of these days they'll break through as long as Joe is at the helm. If he moves on, all bets are off. Which reminds me--I'm still intrigued to know if Joe put his name in the hat for the Syracuse job along with the original poster who brought the question up a few days ago.
W #6/7 Florida 12-11
W #19/18 Albany 7-5
L #20/20 JHU 5-7
W #5/5 NU 11-9
W #19/18 Albany 11-8 Conference Championship
L to #11/12 Princeton 4-8 NCAA first round
T10: 2-0
T20: 4-2

L #3/3 Florida 6-7
L #11/13 NU 6-7
L #12/9 USC 10-14
W #9/8 Stanford 17-7
W #20 JHU 10-7
W #17 BC 11-9 NCAA first round
L #4/5 Cuse 6-7 NCAA 2nd round & Kayla Treanor's senior year
T10: 1-2
T20: 3-4

W #19 Towson 10-9
W #12 NU 13-5
L #3 Florida 14-22
W #9 USC 9-7
W #4 Colorado 10-6
W #11 NU 13-9 NCAA second round
L #1 UMD 12-13 NCAA QF
T10: 2-2
T20: 5-2

W #5 USC 14-10
W #20 Denver 16-3
W #8 NU 15-10
W #13 Towson 13-8
W #16 PSU 21-13
W #14 Penn 18-5 NCAA 2nd round
L #4 BC 11-12 NCAA QF
T10: 2-1
T20: 6-1

W #13 Colorado 15-5
L #16 Denver 7-11
L "receiving votes" Stanford 12-15
L #8 Princeton 14-15
L #10 Florida 10-11
W #17 JHU 12-9
W #14 USC 12-10
W "receiving votes" PSU 16-11
W 9th seed JMU 10-9 (OT) NCAA first round (their website started using seeding instead of rank this year)
L 1st seed UMD 8-17 NCAA 2nd round
T10: 1-2
T20+RV: 5-5

W #4 Cuse 17-16
L #8 Florida 10-12
W #11 Princeton 18-12
T10: 1-1
T20: 2-1

L #1 UNC 7-14
W #15 USC 15-3
L #2 Cuse 6-16
W #16 Towson 10-8
W #16 Rutgers 20-8 NCAA 2nd round
L #1 UNC 11-14 NCAA QF
T10: 0-3
T20: 3-3

TOTAL since 2015
T10: 9-11
T20: 28-18

Couple of things:
- It is my understanding that the rankings shown are what the team was ranked at the time of the game - not by the end of the season. This is why some teams have the same ranking in the season and hopefully helps some of these scores make sense (games played very early in the season rankings, for example USC being ranked 15 this past season at the time they played SBU - they finished the season unranked)
- I included top-10 and top-20 teams because once I started going through the schedule, there was clearly some inconsistency in the results between top 10 and top 20 teams
- the counts for T20 wins & losses includes T10 wins & losses
- halfway through 2016 it looks like whoever is responsible for the website started using 1 poll as the ranking instead of 2 which is why two numbers are shown for games earlier than that
- record doesn't tell the whole story - there are a lot of very close 1-goal losses & while I get that an L is in L, almost all the time (there are exceptions) a margin of 1-goal can indicate evenly matched teams - or at least, they were evenly matched on that particular day
- I think some of the inconsistencies in the scores could also just be because of the match-up...some teams are better at cracking zones than others and/or have the personnel & playing style to beat zones
- I know SBU also has had some bad luck with injuries to some their best players over the years - Courtney Murphy tearing her ACL early in the 2017 season & Taryn Ohlmiller tearing hers during the NCAA tournament in 2018

And I agree, they've been knocking on the door of championship weekend for some time now. I've been pretty indifferent about SBU, but I'd like to see them make it there.
OuttaNowhereWregget

"The 2022 version"

Are these 40 expected to compete for the Final Four or will there be a drop off after the departure of Kennedy, et al? One thing is sure watching the schools post on Instagram today--the first day of classes for many--they are including their lacrosse teams front and center. Lots of anticipation and excitement for getting introduced to teammates, practice, scrimmaging, FallBall and the '22 season.

wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

If there's anyone that knows how to find diamonds in the rough & knows how to bring out the best in their athletes, it's Spallina. SBU is definitely not a team I'd feel confident making predictions about
OuttaNowhereWregget

I hope they play Syracuse again next year. If--and that's a big IF Spallina did put in for the job and it was given to Treanor instead, it may make for a little more motivation. Of course the 16-6 revenge dragging SB suffered at the hands of the Orange last year should be motivation enough, but it adds to the pre game hype--IF they end up on the schedule. Which brings me to the schedule. As has been hashed out here before, not a lot of top teams want to play the Seawolves. Too bad because generally, games with the Seawolves and the latter half of the top 10 are usually pretty close. They play different teams every year though. I would love to be a fly on the wall while Joe puts his schedule together to see how he does it--which teams he contacts, which teams he doesn't bother with for whatever reasons.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Classy team colors! Too bad they opted for the current relatively garish scheme over this. It will be interesting to see how the post Ally Kennedy/Taryn Ohlmiller Seawolves do in '22. They'll outwork your team most of the time until they get to the upper echelon/more talented teams where hard work alone won't cut it. Still--I wish them well. I like innovator Joe more and more.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Innovator Joe has lots of different ideas. Perhaps other teams do this but I haven't seen it. With all the games I've seen at Boston College, I never saw a team warm up the way the Seawolves did that rainy day in May of 2018. All to say, practice must be a little more interesting and fun when Joe runs it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”