Stony Brook

D1 Womens Lacrosse
tothedraw

Re: Stony Brook

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:05 am
tothedraw wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:25 pm I would say Joe certainly has a - step on the throat - mentality while Loyola doesn't always put their opponent away when they can.
That being said SBU has a VERY Long Island vibe and I don't think one needs to coach much killer instinct into his players.
I can't help but chuckle at what you wrote here. A backhanded compliment if ever there was one. Just an observation. I pass out one or two on occasion myself. I think Spallina deserves much more credit than you're giving him though. But we all have our opinions. I don't always agree with what you write, but I'm glad you're here writing.
Not saying JS isn't a good coach, nor was I not giving him credit. His resume displays that he is good at his job. Do I love his style, no. But, he doesn't give a 💩 about my lame opinion Can't deny he gets results. It's been mentioned Loyola doesn't play aggressive enough and when asked if JS could get more out of them that's what I thought of. But it's a package deal, coach with swagger coaching mostly LI kids. Would he get the same from a different team make up ? I dunno🤷

Like this Loyola team though, hoping they put it all together and knock out a bigger dog, when it really matters. I had the privilege of attending one of Diane Geppi Aiken's last games on the sideline. Hard not to have a soft spot for the Hounds.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm I had the privilege of attending one of Diane Geppi Aiken's last games on the sideline. Hard not to have a soft spot for the Hounds.
❤️❤️❤️
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Maryland75 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm I think Joe is obviously a very good coach. Three straight National Championships in Division 2 is no small feat. I do think he over rates his teams as a motivator. He gets high quality individuals although he claims he doesn’t. I’m surprised he hasn’t had a team in the final four but a lot of the top teams shy away due to the aggressive nature his team plays.

Joe gets players who are good-to very good, and many most of you don't know about(even if you are from LI). What he doesn't get are the "Underwear All-Americans", that's my term for the UA, Victoria Secret, Jo Boxer, Tommy Hilfiger HS All-Americans that too many people think are the next great thing. He doesn't get those kind of kids, even if some of them are Long Islanders.
I can also tell you that, I feel, Joe has had 4 teams(15, 16, 17, 18) that should have made it to the Final Four. To me he's the best all-around coach in the game.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:39 am
Maryland75 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:07 pm I think Joe is obviously a very good coach. Three straight National Championships in Division 2 is no small feat. I do think he over rates his teams as a motivator. He gets high quality individuals although he claims he doesn’t. I’m surprised he hasn’t had a team in the final four but a lot of the top teams shy away due to the aggressive nature his team plays.

Joe gets players who are good-to very good, and many most of you don't know about(even if you are from LI). What he doesn't get are the "Underwear All-Americans", that's my term for the UA, Victoria Secret, Jo Boxer, Tommy Hilfiger HS All-Americans that too many people think are the next great thing. He doesn't get those kind of kids, even if some of them are Long Islanders.
I can also tell you that, I feel, Joe has had 4 teams(15, 16, 17, 18) that should have made it to the Final Four. To me he's the best all-around coach in the game.
Agree the 2018 team was close . TO gets hurt wrong time and KO tries to be too fancy at end of BC game ….
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Agree the 2018 team was close . TO gets hurt wrong time and KO tries to be too fancy at end of BC game ….

I don't think Kylie got too fancy, but I kind of thought that she tried to do too much. 17 and 18 should have made the Final Four, and one of them could have won the Title.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:34 pm

I don't think Kylie got too fancy, but I kind of thought that she tried to do too much. 17 and 18 should have made the Final Four, and one of them could have won the Title.
I guess I meant she was unable to finish having taken it upon herself several times at the end with ball.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:09 pm

I guess I meant she was unable to finish having taken it upon herself several times at the end with ball.
You remember the game well and that’s a great way to sum up KO’s performance during crunch time.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

how do you rank this years team? Do you think they have what it takes to get to final 4?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I hope so. I always root for Joe's teams. If his Goaltending keeps coming on, then that's a great sign for SB.
OuttaNowhereWregget

There’s a team identity about this bunch that is fearless. Perfect example right here. I hope they break through some barriers at this years dance.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cc0VMu-Fe3 ... MyMTA2M2Y=
OuttaNowhereWregget

The other night when Stony Brook hosted the scrimmage between team USA and unlimited athletes – the folks up in the booth played the songs that Kennedy and Ohlmiller (pictured) used to have played over the PA after each goal they scored at home when they wore the Seawolves blue and red. Nice We-Remember touch.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Head coach Joe Spallina and his Stony Brook Seawolves

Obviously, Spallina's charges have great affection for their coach as evidenced by their expressions. I found this clip touching. It's clear they're enjoying the moment. They all deserved to celebrate the impressive road victory over #5 ranked Syracuse. I've taken my share of potshots at Joe over the years, (not that I'm anyone) but he grew significantly in my admiration and estimation after seeing this.

On a lower (rent) note, I found it despicable to read him typified the way he was on these boards yesterday. To bring someone's race into an attempt to downplay and ridicule is detestable, sophomoric and shameful.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

Couldn't agree more ONW. I think the parents of 2025 players on this board who are making this comments need to take a step back. Seems way to personal.
realitychecks

Post by realitychecks »

It is just one in particular poster and comments about a coach or their family and the SB women especially targeting certain players are just dumb especially when you let people know who you are. The lacrosse community as a whole is small and especially on Long Island where he also coaches boys teams. Many many many people are loyal to him . Joe has a way and a successful way of doing things his players and the community love him. Are there some that do not ? Yes of course there are always people that do not like certain coaches
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

realitychecks wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:42 am It is just one in particular poster and comments about a coach or their family and the SB women especially targeting certain players are just dumb especially when you let people know who you are. The lacrosse community as a whole is small and especially on Long Island where he also coaches boys teams. Many many many people are loyal to him . Joe has a way and a successful way of doing things his players and the community love him. Are there some that do not ? Yes of course there are always people that do not like certain coaches
Lmao. You’re on a lax forum. Every post in one way or another is criticizing a team and targeting certain players. Or is it just when you know a coach or a family is it off limits? Because I don’t see you trying to track down the fifteen people who post about Missy, Kirsten and Christine every week. Quit while you’re ahead. You should be hiding today after what you did. Not posting. Threatening to screw with a 15 year old kid’s future is ridiculous. You should be ashamed of yourself.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

What's the best place by Stony Brook that caters/delivers food for the traveling team?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

whyamihere wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am What's the best place by Stony Brook that caters/delivers food for the traveling team?
Anything to get us off the subject of outing a 2025. Chicken parm sandwiches please.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”