Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
glaxer24

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by glaxer24 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm “Maybe see a therapist.”

“Dude, time to get the prescription refilled.”

“CVS closed today?”

Over the past few weeks, the above juvenile comments regarding mental health have been made on the D1 Women’s Lacrosse board. It got me thinking. These days, you have to have your head buried in the sand to not have heard of Morgan’s Message in women’s lacrosse circles and the general mental health crisis in this country among teens and others.

Making jokes about mental health, or worse, using mental health topics to insult people, is not only shameful, but ignorant and irresponsible. That snide remarks about a persons mental health are spit out due to something as trivial as a disagreement about a women’s lacrosse topic is an embarrassingly sad state of affairs.

I thought the words of coach McInturf (below) might be educational to help remove the stigma* of mental health on these boards and make everyone feel welcome here; whether they go to therapy or not, and whether they are on prescribed medication from their physician or not. I doubt any parent who has experienced this—for themselves or their family—would appreciate reading the above childish remarks while perusing this forum.

“November is Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month. Men are 3.5 times more likely to commit suicide and are 36% less likely to seek professional therapy than women. The stigma surrounding men’s mental health needs to change. Admitting that everything isn’t okay and seeking help from loved ones is a display of strength rather than weakness.

As a high school lacrosse coach I am around dozens of athletes that could be fighting the same mental battles I did when I was their age. I wanted to share my experience with mental health in the hopes that others don’t feel isolated.

In my high school years I suffered from depression and had suicidal thoughts. Being around family and friends and playing lacrosse we’re my outlets allowing me to channel my emotions. In college I suffered through intense anxiety, feeling inadequate in every aspect of life, always being my own harshest critic. I described as an always looming darkness around me. I was able to find peace in working out, playing lacrosse and being around friends.

After graduating I fell into a long and exhausting period of depression as I felt helpless and unfulfilled in my first job after school. I used to hide my feelings and emotions and cage it in putting up a facade that I was okay to avoid people asking how I felt. I resented the thought that I was different or broken. I wasn’t broken. I was a victim of a stigma that mental health was my fault, that I was abnormal.

Mental Health will be this generations greatest obstacle and it starts with changing the stigma. Therapy doesn’t mean you’re crazy. It’s no different than a check up at the doctors.”

Coach McInturf - Defensive Coordinator for Olentangy Orange High School Varsity Boys Lacrosse

And this article regarding Morgan’s Message:

https://www.whsv.com/2021/04/19/morgans ... athletics/

* “Stigma - a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.”

* “Social stigma is the disapproval of, or discrimination against, an individual or group based on perceivable social characteristics that serve to distinguish them from other members of a society.”
Agree with everything you said. I did notice those comments when they were made and was appalled. I am very grateful for organizations like Morgan's Message that are bringing to light the struggles that athletes face and making sure mental health doesn't stay a taboo topic. Athletes oftentimes do an exceptional job at hiding their feelings and therefore suffer in silence. Those kinds of insensitive jokes only contribute to the stigma around mental health and make those affected by it even more afraid to speack out.
DMac

Post by DMac »

“CVS closed today?”

Over the past few weeks, the above juvenile comments regarding mental health have been made on the D1 Women’s Lacrosse board. It got me thinking. These days, you have to have your head buried in the sand to not have heard of Morgan’s Message in women’s lacrosse circles and the general mental health crisis in this country among teens and others.

Making jokes about mental health, or worse, using mental health topics to insult people, is not only shameful, but ignorant and irresponsible. That snide remarks about a persons mental health are spit out due to something as trivial as a disagreement about a women’s lacrosse topic is an embarrassingly sad state of affairs.

I thought the words of coach McInturf (below) might be educational to help remove the stigma* of mental health on these boards and make everyone feel welcome here; whether they go to therapy or not, and whether they are on prescribed medication from their physician or not. I doubt any parent who has experienced this—for themselves or their family—would appreciate reading the above childish remarks while perusing this forum.

“November is Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month. Men are 3.5 times more likely to commit suicide and are 36% less likely to seek professional therapy than women. The stigma surrounding men’s mental health needs to change. Admitting that everything isn’t okay and seeking help from loved ones is a display of strength rather than weakness.

As a high school lacrosse coach I am around dozens of athletes that could be fighting the same mental battles I did when I was their age. I wanted to share my experience with mental health in the hopes that others don’t feel isolated.

In my high school years I suffered from depression and had suicidal thoughts. Being around family and friends and playing lacrosse we’re my outlets allowing me to channel my emotions. In college I suffered through intense anxiety, feeling inadequate in every aspect of life, always being my own harshest critic. I described as an always looming darkness around me. I was able to find peace in working out, playing lacrosse and being around friends.

After graduating I fell into a long and exhausting period of depression as I felt helpless and unfulfilled in my first job after school. I used to hide my feelings and emotions and cage it in putting up a facade that I was okay to avoid people asking how I felt. I resented the thought that I was different or broken. I wasn’t broken. I was a victim of a stigma that mental health was my fault, that I was abnormal.

Mental Health will be this generations greatest obstacle and it starts with changing the stigma. Therapy doesn’t mean you’re crazy. It’s no different than a check up at the doctors.”

Coach McInturf - Defensive Coordinator for Olentangy Orange High School Varsity Boys Lacrosse

* “Stigma - a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.”

* “Social stigma is the disapproval of, or discrimination against, an individual or group based on perceivable social characteristics that serve to distinguish them from other members of a society.”
The next time you write about girls choking and underachieving you might want to reflect back on your lecture and consider the effects your words have on their psyche. If you think they (and parents) don't read this stuff, you're wrong.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Plus one
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

glaxer24 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:35 pm Agree with everything you said. I did notice those comments when they were made and was appalled. I am very grateful for organizations like Morgan's Message that are bringing to light the struggles that athletes face and making sure mental health doesn't stay a taboo topic. Athletes oftentimes do an exceptional job at hiding their feelings and therefore suffer in silence. Those kinds of insensitive jokes only contribute to the stigma around mental health and make those affected by it even more afraid to speak out.
Thanks, glaxer. I appreciate your feedback.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm The next time you write about girls choking and underachieving you might want to reflect back on your lecture and consider the effects your words have on their psyche. If you think they (and parents) don't read this stuff, you're wrong.
Fair point, DMac. I would also encourage you to reflect back, and consider the effects of your words on a woman's psyche the next time you choose to write about women. As you said--the student athletes and their parents read what we all write here on FanLax.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm The next time you write about girls choking and underachieving
And for the record--I have written that teams have choked or underachieved, not individual players. There's a difference. Even the ladies who play the game are comfortable referring to it as such:

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm

“CVS closed today?”

The next time you write about girls choking and underachieving you might want to reflect back on your lecture and consider the effects your words have on their psyche. If you think they (and parents) don't read this stuff, you're wrong.
+1. Exactly. Not that this message will get through to "I post what I want to post."
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 am +1. Exactly. Not that this message will get through to "I post what I want to post."
Nice attempt at deflection, seacoaster—but seeing as how you are one of the members quoted above, who obviously posts what you want to post as well, I recommend getting your own house in order before you start accusing others of inappropriate posts.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 am +1. Exactly. Not that this message will get through to "I post what I want to post."
Nice attempt at deflection, seacoaster—but seeing as how you are one of the members quoted above, who obviously posts what you want to post as well, I recommend getting your own house in order before you start accusing others of inappropriate posts.
Projection. I think people have, by and large, been pretty polite to you despite your interest in importing a talk-radio sort of ethos onto these pages. You write about mental health concerns while talking about choking and bowing to pressure. You can post what you want; but the inconsistency in the service of letting you "post what you want" is pretty clear.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:00 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm The next time you write about girls choking and underachieving
And for the record--I have written that teams have choked or underachieved, not individual players. There's a difference. Even the ladies who play the game are comfortable referring to it as such:
She has "earned" that right by being in the mix. Being on a team that put itself out there so if that is how this particular player feels about her particular team............then she has "earned" the right to say that about her team.

Those of us watching from the side lines................not so much.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:17 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 am
Projection. I think people have, by and large, been pretty polite to you despite your interest in importing a talk-radio sort of ethos onto these pages. You write about mental health concerns while talking about choking and bowing to pressure. You can post what you want; but the inconsistency in the service of letting you "post what you want" is pretty clear.
You use mental health issues to make demeaning comments about others and you’re lecturing me about how things are here?

And again—this forum belongs to ALL LACROSSE FANS—not just you and your clique. As much as you would love to control content here—it ain’t gonna happen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:33 am
She has "earned" that right by being in the mix. Being on a team that put itself out there so if that is how this particular player feels about her particular team............then she has "earned" the right to say that about her team.

So, by that rationale, the only people who can comment about a given sport are the ones who have actually played the sport.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am
And again—this forum belongs to ALL LACROSSE FANS—not just you and your clique. As much as you would love to control content here—it ain’t gonna happen.
Yes, it does....I am not a fan of the words "your clique". While I agree with Seacoster (and others) 99% of the time, we don't have a cabal that is focused on you. We react individually - sometimes similarly and sometimes not. I have held back on the whole bullying, mental health, choker conversation. I don't have anything to add and don't want to be part of the flaming. That said, as a parent, I do get my butt hurt a little when casual words like "massacre" are used to describe my pony-tailed, hair ribbon wearing princess' team performance. We (posters) are all invested in Lacrosse to various levels and all take criticism differently. I have learned that the above word (or words like it) was not intended to inflict malice when it was posted. I have also learned to not get wound up so much. :oops:
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 am
Bart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:33 am

So, by that rationale, the only people who can comment about a given sport are the ones who have actually played the sport.
Comment all you want. But using terms like choke, thug, ect……. I choose not to. I think those comments should be relegated to those in the game now. People with first hand knowledge of the situation at hand. My playing some 30 years ago does nothing to give me information from what they’re going through now. Even when I get info from my little princess that is purely 1 side so to comment without ALL the info is something I strive not to do(No one is perfect and I’m certain I’ve not followed this 100% at some point) I wasn’t always in this mind set but I’ve tried to learn from things in the past.

You want to do it go right ahead. It’s your choice but don’t whine and moan when people take you to task.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:48 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am
Yes, it does....I am not a fan of the words "your clique". While I agree with Seacoster (and others) 99% of the time, we don't have a cabal that is focused on you. We react individually - sometimes similarly and sometimes not. I have held back on the whole bullying, mental health, choker conversation. I don't have anything to add and don't want to be part of the flaming. That said, as a parent, I do get my butt hurt a little when casual words like "massacre" are used to describe my pony-tailed, hair ribbon wearing princess' team performance. We (posters) are all invested in Lacrosse to various levels and all take criticism differently. I have learned that the above word (or words like it) was not intended to inflict malice when it was posted. I have also learned to not get wound up so much. :oops:
Good thoughts, Doc. Thanks for weighing in.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:02 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 am So, by that rationale, the only people who can comment about a given sport are the ones who have actually played the sport.
Comment all you want. But using terms like choke, thug, ect……. I choose not to. I think those comments should be relegated to those in the game now. People with first hand knowledge of the situation at hand. My playing some 30 years ago does nothing to give me information from what they’re going through now. Even when I get info from my little princess that is purely 1 side so to comment without ALL the info is something I strive not to do(No one is perfect and I’m certain I’ve not followed this 100% at some point) I wasn’t always in this mind set but I’ve tried to learn from things in the past.

You want to do it go right ahead. It’s your choice but don’t whine and moan when people take you to task.
The admin is available to you as well, Bart, if you think what I post is inappropriate. I will not be controlled by you or any other member as to what you or they think I can and cannot write, or the words I choose, or what you or others consider to be inappropriate. That’s admin’s job. Don’t like what I write? Report it. You (meaning the collective you) want to refute my take? Fine. Just don’t attack the poster, and especially don’t bring mental health into the personal attack. Pretty simple arrangement—cut and dry.

As TL was wont to say: That is all.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

“CVS closed today?”

Pot, meet kettle.

That is all
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 am
Bart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:02 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 am So, by that rationale, the only people who can comment about a given sport are the ones who have actually played the sport.

The admin is available to you as well, Bart, if you think what I post is inappropriate. I will not be controlled by you or any other member as to what you or they think I can and cannot write, or the words I choose, or what you or others consider to be inappropriate. That’s admin’s job. Don’t like what I write? Report it. You (meaning the collective you) want to refute my take? Fine. Just don’t attack the poster, and especially don’t bring mental health into the personal attack. Pretty simple arrangement—cut and dry.

As TL was wont to say: That is all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You still Crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No place in my response to you did I mention that you should not post. I not once but twice said, in one form or the other, post what you want. That is my view. I explained why I do not choose to use those terms.

I'll type this slow so we are both on the same page. You go ahead and post exactly what you want. That is always completely up to you. But do not whine and moan when people take you to task. End...full stop.

I have no need to contact the admin, although I do like this new wrinkle in your arsenal, I will respond directly to a post as I feel appropriate.
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 am “Dude, time to get the prescription refilled.”

“CVS closed today?”

Pot, meet kettle.

That is all
Since those two comments were written by you, I would think an apology by you for your insensitive remarks to those who struggle with mental health issues would be more appropriate here.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In the immortal words of Rodney King: “Can we all get along?”

It’s so much more enjoyable to find common ground with each other rather than magnifying differences and fueling strife.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”