Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Greatest women’s lacrosse coach of all time?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I’ll say Timchal but Reese is a very close second.

Justalaxdad

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Justalaxdad »

Tough rating the best ever but your choices are great ones. I would put Amonte-Hiller in the discussion too.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:12 am Tough rating the best ever but your choices are great ones. I would put Amonte-Hiller in the discussion too.
Those three would be my first three as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:12 am Tough rating the best ever but your choices are great ones. I would put Amonte-Hiller in the discussion too.
I suppose one point that could be made for Coach Kelly‘s inclusion is her remarkable recruiting ability. I don’t think Northwestern was a consideration for many way back when she took the reins for the Wildcats. Impressive that she was able to build a midwestern program into a national powerhouse during that great run of theirs when they amassed 7 titles in 8 years.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Sharon Pfluger -- 19 National Championships, nine in field hockey and ten in lacrosse?

This is a little like talking about the best men's coaches and leaving Berkman off the list.

If it's Division 1 only, then Timchal, Reese and KAH are an easy trio to anoint.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:13 pm Sharon Pfluger -- 19 National Championships, nine in field hockey and ten in lacrosse?

This is a little like talking about the best men's coaches and leaving Berkman off the list.

If it's Division 1 only, then Timchal, Reese and KAH are an easy trio to anoint.

Sharon has 11 National Championships in Lacrosse and 9 in Field Hockey....one of the all-time greats. HOFer! Hard to achieve this kind of success at the D3, no athletic scholarship, level. DYNASTY and ICONIC.

Cindy won 8 at Maryland. KAH has won 7 at this point, but she had the harder road to achieve it in that the NU program had been dormant for 10 years. She won her 1st NC in 4 years. Cathy Reese has won 5 and there will be more. Spallina is the best All-Around(Men's, Women's, Boys, Girls, Pro, HS, D1, D2) and he has 3 consecutive D2 Championships from Adelphi. No small feat.
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

After the outage earlier...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Define Fierce

Women’s lacrosse is not for the faint of heart.

OuttaNowhereWregget

A little humor on talking to teenagers:

How is this related to women’s lacrosse you may ask. It’s not really. But if I was to reach—one of the cohosts has a daughter who plays high school lacrosse at a fairly reputable high school for lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Extreme miscellaneous.
Big day today, went to the gson's hockey game over in Baldwinsville (got destroyed 7-1), nice complex except the bathroom was broken and you had to wander around a little bit to find an operable one. Turned out to be a good thing though and presented a long awaited opportunity and one I've been very much been looking forward to. My wanderings took me to a door I had to open and when I entered into that section of the complex, wouldn't you know it's a lacrosse field/rink and there are a couple of girls out there just finishing up, and there were about fifty lacrosse balls scattered all over the field, many of which were right there at the end where I walked in. Goes without saying I walked over to the balls and threw one down to where one of the girls was standing in the cage. The other one was up around midfield, stick in hand. This was a golden opportunity. I started heading to midfield and motioned her to come my way (should mention I had a CNS Lacrosse jacket on), when she got close enough I said, "You really don't have much choice in the matter, I really want to use that stick for a second, I've been dying to check out a wlax stick and get the feel of one." She was a little sweetie and gave me a smile, and a "sure you can" and handed me her stick, along with a comment about whether or not I'd be able to use a girl's stick (the smile is now a smirk). Picked up the first ball and in three seconds thought, yes, this stick is like an eighties mlax stick. Has the same feel, same cradle, pretty much everything the same. Tossed a whole bunch of assists to the gal down at the other end. A variety, low to high, side arm. straight over the shoulder, and that stick felt every bit the same as the mlax stick of yore. Third or fourth toss I went BTB with the pass, little Miss Smirker said, "Wait a minute, you just threw that BTB??" Really wasn't much other to say than, "Young lady, I was scoring goals before your father was born fer chrissakes." Gal is B'ville wlaxer and I have no doubt she's a pretty good one, looked every bit the part. Chatted with her for awhile, let her know there was a time I couldn't watch wlax but really like the game the girls are playing today. She was in 100% agreement with me in that today's game is a much better version and much more fun to play than the pre rules changes game was. Very nice young gal, her teammate Carlie Desimone is on the 2021 USA Select U16 Team, I think those B'ville wlaxers are pretty good. Was just glad to be able to toss the ball around a bit with a wlax stick, really don't think I've thrown a ball with a wlax stick before today. Confirmed what I've been thinking they're like, they've got really nice pockets in 'em...kinda like the men's used to have. Got a lot of confirmations from my wlax experience today....then I had to go hang with the travel team hockey parents.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Great story; did you get to shoot at all?
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, there was only a goal at the other end of the field. I don't know what these girls were doing to have balls scattered all over the field like that but there were at least twenty of them down at the end I was at. In retrospect I wish I would have gone down there to take a few shots and also have them show me what they'd do on a FPS....hell, in forty five seconds I would have had them scoring on 95+% of their opportunities. ;) I was pressed for time as I was obligated to get back to the gson's hockey game, otherwise I would have been in the doghouse with the d-in-law. Kid's not a hockey player but his dad can stroke the check so he's on the travel team (everyone's on a travel team now, right?) and his mom's just all about it. Good kid, does great in school, well behaved, but not a ballplayer. Had I had the time I'm sure it would have got to the point when my new little wlaxer friend had said, alright old man, I've had quite enough of your horseschidt at this point, give me my stick back. Would loved to have tossed the ball around with them a bit but at least I was able to pick those balls up and screw around with that stick and get the feel of it, which I've wanted to do for a long time. Threw it a bunch of different ways using a lot of wrists, wanted to feel the balance and how the ball comes out....was really sweet. If we were going out to play catch and had a choice of a bagged mlax stick or a wlax stick, I'd pick that wlax stick up and use it every time (you know what kind of stick I use when I toss the ball around), really like the feel of it. Hopefully the travel hockey team has another game at that complex cuz I know that field is there now and maybe I can get lucky again. Bi*ch of it is, we had to be there forty five minutes before the puck dropped and I know those girls were in there that whole time. I could have really driven them nuts in that amount of time. Will make a bee line for that field next time....hey, maybe I should bring my stick and swap sticks with one of the gals next time. That might be interesting.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Good Story DMac. I used to do stuff similar to that years ago at Gyms where my clients would Weight train. I would be there and watch people working out just wrong(and sometimes dangerously). I would casually say to someone "Can I show you something?", and they were usually receptive because they had seen me working with the girls. I can honestly say that many appreciated the instruction. My clients would laugh and tell me that I enjoy doing that way too much.

Hey, did you ever try the Wooden Stick? HAHAHA. I don't think you would have fared well with it. It was a Beast.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You asking if I've ever used a wooden stick? Hell, there was no such thing as a Tupperware stick when I first saw and started playing lacrosse. I never tried one of the wlaxers old wooden sticks which looked like tennis rackets but I don't much doubt I could have figured it out with a little practice....same rhythm, just tighter pocket. This is the one I use now, not that I use it much anymore but every once in awhile. Gotta break 'em in young ya know, canine or human.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

https://twitter.com/CoachQ88/status/1455565143887155202
I’ve really enjoyed how in wlax teams don’t poach each other’s committed recruits. Guess the young coaches really want the madness that comes without honoring commitments and trying to flip kids. This is a sad day for wlax. At least we still beat them on the field. It’s the principal and integrity of the coaches that bother me. I understand this has been going on in men’s lacrosse and other sports for quite some time. I just really enjoyed the way it was. There is no going back now, once teams go down this road recruiting is forever changed
What a terrible look for Brice Queener here.

This was an academic decision for this player. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't poached. Also leaving out that the 2022s committed during a pandemic and couldn't even visit schools. If you have an opportunity to go to Stanford instead of Denver you do so 100% of the time. Lacrosse is over in 4 years.

And to make a petty statement like "at least we still beat them on the field"....What a lax bro comment.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 am https://twitter.com/CoachQ88/status/1455565143887155202
I’ve really enjoyed how in wlax teams don’t poach each other’s committed recruits. Guess the young coaches really want the madness that comes without honoring commitments and trying to flip kids. This is a sad day for wlax. At least we still beat them on the field. It’s the principal and integrity of the coaches that bother me. I understand this has been going on in men’s lacrosse and other sports for quite some time. I just really enjoyed the way it was. There is no going back now, once teams go down this road recruiting is forever changed

This was an academic decision for this player. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't poached. Also leaving out that the 2022s committed during a pandemic and couldn't even visit schools. If you have an opportunity to go to Stanford instead of Denver you do so 100% of the time. Lacrosse is over in 4 years.

And to make a petty statement like "at least we still beat them on the field"....What a lax bro comment.
This was also in the thread:

“John Sung got skewered years ago for that and he was made out to be the bad guy. However, turns out a bunch of coaches were doing it in the dark.”

What was the deal with Caitlyn Wurzburger? How did she end up wearing powder blue instead of her initially intended Syracuse orange?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Said she fell in love with the campus, layout, and facilities. Not too hard to understand, Florida girl coming to Cuse is like taking your St. Bernard to Phoenix. "Committed" as an eighth grader, kinda like giving your class ring to your Freshman girlfriend and figuring she's going to be your wife. Said she went there wanting to win four NCs....that aint gonna happen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 am Said she fell in love with the campus, layout, and facilities. Not too hard to understand, Florida girl coming to Cuse is like taking your St. Bernard to Phoenix. "Committed" as an eighth grader, kinda like giving your class ring to your Freshman girlfriend and figuring she's going to be your wife. Said she went there wanting to win four NCs....that aint gonna happen.
Interesting. Who contacted whom first regarding the Tar Heels? Larry’s favorite underachieving coach or the Wurzburger camp?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

He's acting like this has never happened before. CW is a good example but Clemson has been flipping 2022s since they announced their program.

And as I said, this particular player made a decision based on academics. She pursued Stanford initially, not the other way around. Once you are offered and gain admission to Stanford you don't say no to go to Denver.
Bart

Post by Bart »

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 am https://twitter.com/CoachQ88/status/1455565143887155202

wanna be big time college sports? Welcome to big time college sports problems.................

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”