Picks and Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Picks and Predictions

Post by Laxfan500 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:27 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:22 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:08 pm Maryland - Florida.....Will be fun to watch two solid Goalies. Emily Sterling(MD) has been an absolute revelation this season. She started out slow, but suddenly something clicked...and she has become a 1st team AA. Sarah Reznick(Fla) has been a little inconsistent compared to her play last season, but she can be tough. I'm picking MARYLAND in this one by 5+. Terps are solid all-around team. Not real flashy, but real consistent.

Boston College - Loyola....Loyola is a REALLY GOOD team. Strong in all aspects and will get you down quickly as they possess strong attackers and middies. BC is a very good team and they are the defending National Champions, but I saw a few things in their victory over Denver last Sunday that I had been seeing all year. This is not last year's team offensively or defensively. They can be beaten by someone not named North Carolina or Duke. Advantage in the cage goes to Loyola. Kait Larsson(Loy) has been solid all season. Her counterpart is someone that I have spoken about plenty this season, and suffice to say anything I have said in the past can be cut and pasted.....right....here!

The Pick : Loyola by 3+

Syracuse - Northwestern....This will be a High scoring affair. Neither is strong defensively and the Goaltending is akin to a Loch Ness sighting. The regular season gam featured 31 goals, 55 shots and only 9, NINE, saves between the two teams. The officiating of this one will be something to watch. Both get very physical when frustrated and there is some wonderful Emmy Award winning acting on the Field.

The Pick : NU, by 2-3, out of respect for the greatness of Kelly Amonte Hiller and the home field advantage

UNC - Stony Brook.... I know what a lot of people are going to say, but not me. Yes, I am biased to SBU, but I am going to use logic and reasoning here. UNC has an outstanding team, but I say "another" outstanding team. Many of you make me want to quote the late Denny Green and say, "If you want to crown them, then crown their ass!" I also say that "“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” That was written by Churchill and here's why it applies here.

I have seen a lot of great UNC teams during their existence. Really I have and this 2022 version is but one of them. The other great UNC teams got beat. Sometimes the other teams were better, sometimes equal talent, other times UNC had the better talent. I respect the 2022 team, but this team is not what you think they are.
Stony Brook is playing well and they will be ready. If Charlie Campbell is solid(not spectacular) in the net and the SB defense is on point. This will turn out to not be what the masses think it should be.

The Pick : Stony Brook by 2
Florida looked about as bad as I thought they would . Def looked terrible but Reznick had a tough day
Loyola goalie looks pretty bad
NU will lose by a lot they have 2 offensive players that’s pretty much it .
SB - UNC game I wouldn’t expect you to pick UNC since you are a …”fan”…of SB. But they will be no match for UNC. Too much talent at every aspect of the field .
Wow did not see the Cuse beat down coming . I was totally wrong.
To be fair to you/yourself, I don't think anyone expected Syracuse to effectively not show up. I suppose I have to grudgingly, childishly and in a really small-minded way grant NU a measure of credit -- which, I repeat, is almost physically painful -- but Syracuse scoring 2-0-1-1 over the course of four quarters is not something anyone here, I think, would have predicted.
I didn’t get to watch any of the game . Will have to re-watch it.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:08 pm Maryland - Florida.....Will be fun to watch two solid Goalies. Emily Sterling(MD) has been an absolute revelation this season. She started out slow, but suddenly something clicked...and she has become a 1st team AA. Sarah Reznick(Fla) has been a little inconsistent compared to her play last season, but she can be tough. I'm picking MARYLAND in this one by 5+. Terps are solid all-around team. Not real flashy, but real consistent.

Boston College - Loyola....Loyola is a REALLY GOOD team. Strong in all aspects and will get you down quickly as they possess strong attackers and middies. BC is a very good team and they are the defending National Champions, but I saw a few things in their victory over Denver last Sunday that I had been seeing all year. This is not last year's team offensively or defensively. They can be beaten by someone not named North Carolina or Duke. Advantage in the cage goes to Loyola. Kait Larsson(Loy) has been solid all season. Her counterpart is someone that I have spoken about plenty this season, and suffice to say anything I have said in the past can be cut and pasted.....right....here!

Syracuse - Northwestern....This will be a High scoring affair. Neither is strong defensively and the Goaltending is akin to a Loch Ness sighting. The regular season gam featured 31 goals, 55 shots and only 9, NINE, saves between the two teams. The officiating of this one will be something to watch. Both get very physical when frustrated and there is some wonderful Emmy Award winning acting on the Field.

The Pick : NU, by 2-3, out of respect for the greatness of Kelly Amonte Hiller and the home field advantage

UNC - Stony Brook.... I know what a lot of people are going to say, but not me. Yes, I am biased to SBU, but I am going to use logic and reasoning here. UNC has an outstanding team, but I say "another" outstanding team. Many of you make me want to quote the late Denny Green and say, "If you want to crown them, then crown their ass!" I also say that "“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” That was written by Churchill and here's why it applies here.

I have seen a lot of great UNC teams during their existence. Really I have and this 2022 version is but one of them. The other great UNC teams got beat. Sometimes the other teams were better, sometimes equal talent, other times UNC had the better talent. I respect the 2022 team, but this team is not what you think they are.
Stony Brook is playing well and they will be ready. If Charlie Campbell is solid(not spectacular) in the net and the SB defense is on point. This will turn out to not be what the masses think it should be.

Florida looked about as bad as I thought they would . Def looked terrible but Reznick had a tough day
SB - UNC game I wouldn’t expect you to pick UNC since you are a …”fan”…of SB. But they will be no match for UNC. Too much talent at every aspect of the field .
To be fair to you/yourself, I don't think anyone expected Syracuse to effectively not show up. I suppose I have to grudgingly, childishly and in a really small-minded way grant NU a measure of credit -- which, I repeat, is almost physically painful -- but Syracuse scoring 2-0-1-1 over the course of four quarters is not something anyone here, I think, would have predicted.
If you are a Syracuse fan, what you plan can only be described as masochism. Try beer instead. It worked for me in the 4th Quarter.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:59 am

If you are a Syracuse fan, what you plan can only be described as masochism. Try beer instead. It worked for me in the 4th Quarter.
If you went with the beer route you should have started at the end of the first quarter.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:22 am

If you went with the beer route you should have started at the end of the first quarter.
You're probably right. I was trying to remain hopeful. When I am watching my team get a drubbing, beer does not facilitate hopefulness. By the 4th, my despair had settled deep in my bones and I was ready for a couple of big Lawson's Brave Little States.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:04 am

You're probably right. I was trying to remain hopeful. When I am watching my team get a drubbing, beer does not facilitate hopefulness. By the 4th, my despair had settled deep in my bones and I was ready for a couple of big Lawson's Brave Little States.
If you want hopeful.....contact DMac. Beer is better for despair, you are right.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:10 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:04 am

If you want hopeful.....contact DMac. Beer is better for despair, you are right.
Hah! Good point.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

Opening lines

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Carolina -600 NU +700
BC -140 Maryland +130
OuttaNowhereWregget

Taylor Cummings will pick Maryland over BC

-2000 +1800
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:30 am After last night's OT win over the Golden Domers, I've come to the conclusion that this Orange team will not challenge for the crown at the end of May. I don’t think that’s a stretch to say after having a pretty decent sample size of their wins over Stanford, Binghamton, Stony Brook and Notre Dame. They may not even make it to the final weekend. I can’t see them putting it all together between now and then.

Let’s face it, this program has a new coach in her first head-coaching position. It takes time to build a system regardless of the talent level inherited. There are some good coaches doing good things with their programs these days, like Jill Batcheller at Villanova and Melissa Lehman at Rutgers; but it takes time to build a contender regardless of the talent a coach has on their team. Coaching seems to matter a lot more in women’s lacrosse than it does in some other sports—like NBA basketball, for instance. A team bursting with talent like Syracuse will cover over coaching mistakes (like they did last night) on occasion. Kayla Treanor will experience being outcoached this season at some point and her team won't be able to cover it. Doesn’t mean she’s not a good coach; doesn’t mean she won’t put it all together in the future. But it won’t be this year. Too soon in the proceedings. I also don't know if Treanor will be able to "coach out" the boneheaded mistakes this team seems inherently prone to commit during big postseason games.
Looking back over some predictions that never made it to the Picks and Predictions topic. I don't get most predictions correct, but this was a good one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

So the person who admittedly likes to see Cuse get beat, also admittedly isn't worth a schidt at predictions, calls a wounded team that is limping to the end of the season as one that is not going to make it to the final four then gloats about it. Blind squirrel comes to mind....oh, and easy on that arm, you're liable to strain it reaching too far back to pat yourself on the back.
Oi Vey.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:23 am Blind squirrel comes to mind....oh, and easy on that arm, you're liable to strain it reaching too far back to pat yourself on the back.
Oi Vey.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

With hindsight, some of the NCAA tournament predictions were pretty funny given the final scores. Florida over Maryland; Loyola over BC and Stony Brook over UNC come to mind. Ain't easy making predictions though. On the whole, there were no real upsets at the Big Dance. Everyone ended up dancing with whom they were supposed to, and losing to whom they were supposed to. Predictions are fun to look back on.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”