Re: Women's Lacrosse Highlights

Post by Matnum PI »

It is...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm Am I the only one getting a little tired of watching BTBs that 1) are just piling on in inconsequential games, and 2) are unnecessary... there's tactical creativity and then there's useless creativity. She shot, she scored, great job kid, but this type of goal isn't a highlight for me, it's like watching a 360 dunk on a breakaway in a 40-point game. Who cares. There were probably much more skillful plays in this game than this one.
You’re not the only one. I’ve been noting this as well. I don’t watch SportsCenter’s Top 10 so I miss all the ones that show up there, and anytime I see btb, I automatically pass over it. It’s become commonplace.
Dr. Tact

Re: Now THIS ain’t no ho-hum btb!

Post by Dr. Tact »

That's the one....goalie moves slightly after the ball hits the net.
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

That’s a lot more than just the goal scorers stick on the ground after that last goal.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm D1 WOMEN: USC’s Kerrigan Miller Goes BTB

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/02/25/d1- ... -goes-btb/
Am I the only one getting a little tired of watching BTBs that 1) are just piling on in inconsequential games, and 2) are unnecessary... there's tactical creativity and then there's useless creativity. She shot, she scored, great job kid, but this type of goal isn't a highlight for me, it's like watching a 360 dunk on a breakaway in a 40-point game. Who cares. There were probably much more skillful plays in this game than this one.
Completely disagree with you regarding this shot. There is no useless creativity in this shot. This is a shot in her arsenal that brings an element of surprise, creates a better angle, and gives her a better chance to put the ball where the goalie isn't. She completely fooled the goalie with this shot, rendered her helpless. I would be teaching my girls, who have the ability, to use this shot on the FPS as it enables to the shooter to draw the goalie to one side of the cage then put it by her on the other side. No trick shot, no showboating, just a well placed and very good shot.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

That game winning goal by Hopkins, in regulation, was spectacular. I feel it is the best moment of the season so far.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm That game winning goal by Hopkins, in regulation, was spectacular. I feel it is the best moment of the season so far.
Spectacular is a good word to describe it. I’ve never seen a play like that, especially to win a game with 1 second left!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm That game winning goal by Hopkins, in regulation, was spectacular. I feel it is the best moment of the season so far.
Spectacular is a good word to describe it. I’ve never seen a play like that, especially to win a game with 1 second left!
IIRC there was a goal scored by a goalie on a last second full field shot (men's game) that won a game....not sure who, too many beers.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm
In the third OT:

https://twitter.com/cusemlax/status/967520308038197248
DMac

Post by DMac »

....and that was indeed spectacular!
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm D1 WOMEN: USC’s Kerrigan Miller Goes BTB

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/02/25/d1- ... -goes-btb/
Am I the only one getting a little tired of watching BTBs that 1) are just piling on in inconsequential games, and 2) are unnecessary... there's tactical creativity and then there's useless creativity. She shot, she scored, great job kid, but this type of goal isn't a highlight for me, it's like watching a 360 dunk on a breakaway in a 40-point game. Who cares. There were probably much more skillful plays in this game than this one.
Completely disagree with you regarding this shot. There is no useless creativity in this shot. This is a shot in her arsenal that brings an element of surprise, creates a better angle, and gives her a better chance to put the ball where the goalie isn't. She completely fooled the goalie with this shot, rendered her helpless. I would be teaching my girls, who have the ability, to use this shot on the FPS as it enables to the shooter to draw the goalie to one side of the cage then put it by her on the other side. No trick shot, no showboating, just a well placed and very good shot.
A BTB is the right shot when your defender is overplaying or sliding to the front of you (or if you're KO and you're falling down but you feel like scoring anyway). It is absolutely the wrong play when you have two girls trying to catch you from behind. I teach MY youth and high school girls never to take a BTB when you know there's probably a defender behind you, because they may be able to get a stick on the shot and MUCH more importantly because it's a risk to their safety. The last play of Barb Sullivan's college career was getting nailed in the face by a totally unnecessary BTB carelessly thrown by one of the most irresponsible players to ever play the game in an attempt to get on SportsCenter. I have seen many more close calls and as a former defender, I can tell you that there is nothing in the sport of women's lacrosse that feels more disrespectful than an attacker almost hitting you with an unnecessary, out-of-control trick shot. I'm very impressed when I see the BTB used properly, but most that I see are pointless both tactically and regarding game outcome and people who unconditionally praise them tend not to understand the game well.

Miller was off the line way ahead of her defenders. She had plenty of time and space to fake and place a shot, and if this were a one-goal game, that's what she would have done. I think it's a stretch to say this shot is "in her arsenal," as it really was not executed very well. Look at where her arms are, vs KO, Apuzzo, etc. when they take BTBs—arms should be off your body and the movement of your stick should be fluid. I love Miller but she looks like a high schooler attempting this shot. I think she got a bit lucky on the placement. I don't think she even intended it to be a bounce shot. She just wanted to get it on net. And when you're already beating a team by ten goals, why not.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Plead guilty to being one who doesn't understand the game well (too much mlax bleeds into my mentality when watching wlax). As one with no sisters or daughters I've never been around the girl's game, took 50+ years and a lot of rule changes for me to be able to watch, appreciate, and get excited about the game (it's a gorgeous game and I like it a lot now).

I had no idea what the score of this game was, but I see the shot as a good and effective shot (I'm not so sure I'd consider that a bounce shot, ball hits the ground in front of the goal line but goes by the GK waist high). This is where people like me, who never played the game, and you, who did, differ in what we see/think. I see the space between the trailing girl and the shooter as being plenty enough space for a safe shot, I respect and appreciate that you don't. Sure, she could have chosen a different shot from her arsenal, but again, I see this one as a real good one to chose. I struggle with why the success rate isn't much higher than it is on FPSs, so I welcome the creativity. This shot takes the GK completely out of the play (as I think the shooter should be able to do most of the time on a FPS).

I do understand the increased risk of anyone behind the play taking a stick/ball to the head with the BTB shot/pass, the girl taking the shot/making the pass really does need to know where everyone around/behind her is (refs come into play here too, they've got to control this).

I think you're being a little overly critical with the form and placement of this gal's shot, she put it where the GK isn't and it went in the cage. Looked pretty good to me.

Again, I plead guilty to bringing too much mlax mentality to the wlax game when watching it, it's actually kind of hard to overcome (for me anyway). This is where the wlax world needs to be real careful with the coveted casual fan (like me) and "growing the game". The casual fan doesn't really know what they're watching, but they've got all kinds of ways to improve the game (I could fix soccer in a heartbeat).
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:22 am Plead guilty to being one who doesn't understand the game well (too much mlax bleeds into my mentality when watching wlax). As one with no sisters or daughters I've never been around the girl's game, took 50+ years and a lot of rule changes for me to be able to watch, appreciate, and get excited about the game (it's a gorgeous game and I like it a lot now).

I had no idea what the score of this game was, but I see the shot as a good and effective shot (I'm not so sure I'd consider that a bounce shot, ball hits the ground in front of the goal line but goes by the GK waist high). This is where people like me, who never played the game, and you, who did, differ in what we see/think. I see the space between the trailing girl and the shooter as being plenty enough space for a safe shot, I respect and appreciate that you don't. Sure, she could have chosen a different shot from her arsenal, but again, I see this one as a real good one to chose. I struggle with why the success rate isn't much higher than it is on FPSs, so I welcome the creativity. This shot takes the GK completely out of the play (as I think the shooter should be able to do most of the time on a FPS).

I do understand the increased risk of anyone behind the play taking a stick/ball to the head with the BTB shot/pass, the girl taking the shot/making the pass really does need to know where everyone around/behind her is (refs come into play here too, they've got to control this).

I think you're being a little overly critical with the form and placement of this gal's shot, she put it where the GK isn't and it went in the cage. Looked pretty good to me.

Again, I plead guilty to bringing too much mlax mentality to the wlax game when watching it, it's actually kind of hard to overcome (for me anyway). This is where the wlax world needs to be real careful with the coveted casual fan (like me) and "growing the game". The casual fan doesn't really know what they're watching, but they've got all kinds of ways to improve the game (I could fix soccer in a heartbeat).
The problem with the BTB on free position shots is that it most likely result in a "dangerous propelling" and a yellow card on the shooter -- because the defensive players on FPS crash so hard and, in my opinion, recklessly.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:58 pm The problem with the BTB on free position shots is that it most likely result in a "dangerous propelling" and a yellow card on the shooter -- because the defensive players on FPS crash so hard and, in my opinion, recklessly.
Very true, its an odd FPS that you dont have a D on either side.In my mind, you might end up with 50% of the time getting a dangerous follow through with the stick making contact.
wlaxnut

JHU’s Aurora Cordingley

Post by wlaxnut »

I recall hearing Zoe Stuckenburg on a Loyola broadcast a couple of years ago remark, “When you get your defender on the ground, you know you did your job.” Here is a perfect example— with skill and grace. Too bad more plays like this don’t make it onto national sports news highlight segments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9F18mGh6oI ... fj154mme4c

Note—swipe to the 2nd highlight. (Maybe Matnum can work his magic and make it less complicated to view.)
wlaxnut

Been meaning to post this for Orange fans

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact

Re: Been meaning to post this for Orange fans

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 am https://youtu.be/tx1gNNjAfsE

true determination.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:48 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm Am I the only one getting a little tired of watching BTBs that 1) are just piling on in inconsequential games, and 2) are unnecessary... there's tactical creativity and then there's useless creativity. She shot, she scored, great job kid, but this type of goal isn't a highlight for me, it's like watching a 360 dunk on a breakaway in a 40-point game. Who cares. There were probably much more skillful plays in this game than this one.
You’re not the only one. I’ve been noting this as well. I don’t watch SportsCenter’s Top 10 so I miss all the ones that show up there, and anytime I see btb, I automatically pass over it. It’s become commonplace.
Yeah the BTB a little over used. Diving while scoring, like in boys game is also irritating. Give me a finesse player any day.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”