Favorite Teams and Players - and other diversions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Favorite Teams and Players - and other diversions

Post by seacoaster »

So Carney -- who played in 13 games last year against, well, pretty fair competition -- scores 49 goals, assists on 20 others, and doesn't make this ridiculous list? Sears (who I think is a great player) didn't play last year and is No. 14. Dirks is No. 19, playing for a lackluster PSU team against, well, less competitive competition. Sydney Watson is No. 28, playing UConn's schedule. But Carney can't crack the whole list, somewhere?

Kind of a farce here.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 pm So Carney -- who played in 13 games last year against, well, pretty fair competition -- scores 49 goals, assists on 20 others, and doesn't make this ridiculous list? Sears (who I think is a great player) didn't play last year and is No. 14. Dirks is No. 19, playing for a lackluster PSU team against, well, less competitive competition. Sydney Watson is No. 28, playing UConn's schedule. But Carney can't crack the whole list, somewhere?

Kind of a farce here.
The list is kind of all over the place . Kids that didn’t play last year are on it . A kid who is hurt and won’t play next year is on there …no carney, no ward, the goalie from ND who they LOVED last year is no place to be found…I do love that the top 2 are women…#womenpower… 4/5 years ago no way and look who was playing then !!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:13 pm So Carney -- who played in 13 games last year against, well, pretty fair competition -- scores 49 goals, assists on 20 others, and doesn't make this ridiculous list? Sears (who I think is a great player) didn't play last year and is No. 14. Dirks is No. 19, playing for a lackluster PSU team against, well, less competitive competition. Sydney Watson is No. 28, playing UConn's schedule. But Carney can't crack the whole list, somewhere?

Kind of a farce here.
The list is kind of all over the place . Kids that didn’t play last year are on it . A kid who is hurt and won’t play next year is on there …no carney, no ward, the goalie from ND who they LOVED last year is no place to be found…I do love that the top 2 are women…#womenpower… 4/5 years ago no way and look who was playing then !!
Yeah, I kind of liked that too.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I actually think the list is pretty good. It's obviously a list of AA or multi-year AA players. The order can always be debated. The one obvious snub is Carney. After that Petty and Reznick come to mind, but anybody else clearly falls outside the best 25 female players in my opinion. To add an attacker you need to take an attacker off the list. Same is true for middies and defenders and if you apply that test it is very hard to do.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Kind of a farce here.
I legitimately just said the same exact thing! Carney played almost the entire season where Hawryschuk played one game yet she’s on the list. And I’m not slighting Emily is a great player but come on. Dirks for me is a big? Overall even on the USA team. I think she has to prove herself now that she has transferred before she gets any kind of nod
And how do you put Megan Tyrrell below Emily Hawryschuk she pretty much carried the team
the entire year
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Fischer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm

Kind of a farce here.
I legitimately just said the same exact thing! Carney played almost the entire season where Hawryschuk played one game yet she’s on the list. And I’m not slighting Emily is a great player but come on. Dirks for me is a big? Overall even on the USA team. I think she has to prove herself now that she has transferred before she gets any kind of nod
And how do you put Megan Tyrrell below Emily Hawryschuk she pretty much carried the team
the entire year
Yup, these are the off-season hijinks that these sorts of publications do. Like the regional or city magazines that unceasingly publish lists of "Bests" -- like Best Plastic Surgeons, Best Lawyers, Best Restaurant, etc. , etc., etc., etc....
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Of the 25 Tewaaraton women’s nominees from 2021 who haven’t graduated or been tabbed for the list:

Megan Carney, Syracuse - Jr., Attack
Bridget Deehan, Notre Dame - Sr., Goalie
Annie Dyson, Virginia - Jr., Midfield
Grace Griffin, Maryland - Sr., Midfield
Karson Harris, Drexel - Sr., Midfield

to which, I added this incomplete list of players I think are just as worthy as Maddie Jenner, Marge Donovan, Ali Baiocco, et al:

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

Below is the complete list of IL’s so-called Top 50 college lacrosse players

49. Sam Swart (M) - Syracuse
45. Molly Dougherty (G) - JMU
42. Ali Baiocco (A) - Stanford
41. Aurora Cordingley (A) - Maryland
39. Hollie Schleicher (D) - Boston College
37. Katie Detwiler (D) - Loyola
36. Hannah Leubecker (A) - Maryland
34. Kasey Choma (M) - Notre Dame
33. Andie Aldave (A/M) - Carolina
31. Belle Smith (M) - Boston College
29. Marge Donovan (D) - Princeton
28. Sydney Watson (M) - UConn
26. Maddie Jenner (A/DS) - Duke
24. Sarah Reznick (G) - Florida
22. Livy Rosenzweig (A) - Loyola
21. Sarah Cooper (D) - Syracuse
19. Olivia Dirks (M) - Carolina
17. Lauren Gilbert (A) - Northwestern
14. Kyla Sears (A) - Princeton
13. Meaghan Tyrrell (A) - Syracuse
11. Ally Mastroianni (M) - Carolina
9. Emily Hawryschuk (A) - Syracuse
8. Emma Trenchard (D) - Carolina
7. Taylor Moreno (G) - Carolina
5. Izzy Scane (A) - Northwestern
2. Jamie Ortega (A) - Carolina
1. Charlotte North (A) - Boston College

Did anyone from D2 or D3 make the list? (I don’t know the men’s game at all). The crack staff at IL magazine didn’t specify if the list was exclusive to D1.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm Of the 25 Tewaaraton women’s nominees from 2021 who haven’t graduated or been tabbed for the list:

to which, I added this incomplete list of players I think are just as worthy as Maddie Jenner, Marge Donovan, Ali Baiocco, et al:

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

Did anyone from D2 or D3 make the list? (I don’t know the men’s game at all). The crack staff at IL magazine didn’t specify if the list was exclusive to D1.
You literally put the name of the college next to the player they are clearly d1? D2 players never get recognized
OuttaNowhereWregget

The staff gave a list high 6 players to Carolina. They could have done without Aldave or Dirks to make room for Carney.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Fischer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:56 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm Did anyone from D2 or D3 make the list? (I don’t know the men’s game at all). The crack staff at IL magazine didn’t specify if the list was exclusive to D1.
You literally put the name of the college next to the player they are clearly d1? D2 players never get recognized
After which I asked a question about the men's side.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm Of the 25 Tewaaraton women’s nominees from 2021 who haven’t graduated or been tabbed for the list:

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

Don't ask me what I think of that stuff....If you haven't been intimately involved in the politics of girl's/women's lax, you cant get a full picture of the ridiculousness of rankings. A player could be seen by someone at a blueblood HS/Club in the 9th grade and ride that reputation through post college, national team selection. It just doesn't objectively indicate true worth to a team/program/country. Too many times I have had to tell my non-blueblood daughters, that, there are two levels of good. One that is tied to Club/HS/College success/reputation and one that is tied to the eye test. Most of those women on the "top 50" deserve the recognition, but they are not the only ones who do. Life isn't fair and sometimes it is better to earn respect than be given it.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Kind of a farce here.
Agreed - I don't think anyone really takes this list seriously. It's meant to generate eyeballs during the offseason. Pure puff piece.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Kind of a farce here.
Agreed - I don't think anyone really takes this list seriously. It's meant to generate eyeballs during the offseason. Pure puff piece.
might as well click on top 25 pictures celebrities want to hide......same type of list. Click bait.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

Again...if you listened to the accompanying podcast they do specify its mens and Womens D1.
90% of the list is correct in my opinion.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm 90% of the list is correct in my opinion.
What’s the 10% 🙏🏼
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Politics is part of life and clearly part of lax as well but come on already - this list is loaded with players who have proven themselves at the highest level time and time again. The list is 90 percent correct which means maybe 2 players were snubbed or should not belong. EH from Syracuse was a Top 5 player in the country before her injury. She is an obvious choice.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

Again...if you listened to the accompanying podcast they do specify its mens and Womens D1.
The entire concept of picking the top 50 lacrosse players across D! and then somehow with a straight face rank the men & women in the same list is absurd.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Erin Coykendall
Sam Fiedler
Scottie Rose Growney
Maddie Howe
Paige Petty
Jenn Medjid
Caitlyn Wurzburger

The entire concept of picking the top 50 lacrosse players across D! and then somehow with a straight face rank the men & women in the same list is absurd.
I’ve been thinking this the entire time… I feel like there should have been a men’s and women’s list
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm The staff gave a list high 6 players to Carolina. They could have done without Aldave or Dirks to make room for Carney.
Aldave is a better player than Carney. She is one of the most complete players - playing - with a high lax IQ, ability to take draws, play great offense and defense.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm 90% of the list is correct in my opinion.
What’s the 10% 🙏🏼
Carney is missing, and some players I would move around. Not sure how they came to some of the players. Women who didnt play last year and how they ranked them, and then Scane and the kid from Maryland ( I heard she tore acl - maybe im wrong) so kids that didnt play last year and aren't playing this upcoming year, ...just a little confusing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”