WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by DMac »

Warning to those who Charlotte rubs the wrong way, don't listen you might end up liking her. Second one of these I've listened to with her, both times she's come across as a person you'd definitely want on your team. Committed, passionate, and just in love with the game....no need to mention what she does on the field. She just has a level of competitiveness that not too many others have, definitely ranks among the fiercest competitors I've ever seen on either side of the game.
As for the radioactive question, the best I can give you is that I'm indifferent. They enjoy what they do, bring some pretty good highlights and interviews, and are probably good faces to have for the continuing effort to bring more diversity to lacrosse in general and particularly wlax.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 am As for the radioactive question, the best I can give you is that I'm indifferent.
That's a good way to put it. Sums up my feeling too. Yet I will add I find some of the journalism a bit too rah rah and fluffy at times.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:07 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 am As for the radioactive question, the best I can give you is that I'm indifferent.
That's a good way to put it. Sums up my feeling too. Yet I will add I find some of the journalism a bit too rah rah and fluffy at times.
I thought it was very telling when one young lady posed a layup of a question and it was quickly answered...... incorrectly.

Who is the only player to win the Tewaaraton award 3 times ?
Her Answer : Kayla Trainor ( an amazing player who never won the award)
That was enough for me !
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Itsallgood wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:51 pm
I thought it was very telling when one young lady posed a layup of a question and it was quickly answered...... incorrectly.

That was enough for me !
I know this typically applies in the area of law, but I would think it applies in this situation too – don’t ask a question of your cohost unless you’re confident of her answer.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

That was enough for me !
After listening to their All-Sound team that they picked, I now realize they have no idea what they are talking about. They named Asa Goldstock as their Goalie of the Year. She was not even the ACC Goalie of the year. I've heard enough.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm

That was enough for me !
After listening to their All-Sound team that they picked, I now realize they have no idea what they are talking about. They named Asa Goldstock as their Goalie of the Year. She was not even the ACC Goalie of the year. I've heard enough.
Their picks (IIRC):
POTY: Ortega
Attacker: North
Midfielder: Aldave
Defender: Humphrey
Goalie: Goldstock

Lots of interesting choices... Clearly they were trying to give each accolade to a different team, but one of these teams has beat all the others for a reason... I'm not sure if they have no idea what they're talking about, or if they're trying to make women's lacrosse more social media-friendly by dumbing it down and endorsing more teams. Either way, it's not exactly insightful.
Cletus

CAA on LSN

Post by Cletus »

For the Drexel/Towson game, the camerawork was just bad enough to be annoying but just decent enough to keep watching. The color commentator (Kelly Berger) was painful to listen to after a while so down went the volume for the remainder. She matriculated at the All Cliches Applicable to Sports that Work for Lacrosse Too School. Just couldn't take the general adages anymore after awhile. The giggling between her and her male co-host was also annoying. Overall, not a bad effort from LSN.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Did anyone hear Jay Alter say during the selection show that he thought Jacksonville could be the dark horse of the tournament? I had to rewind it a few times to make sure I heard him correctly.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

What can you say about how the NCAA and ESPN chose to schedule the coverage for the 2nd round--apart from saying it sucks? Three games at noon today and the remaining five games at 1pm. Sends such a negligent, indifferent, disrespectful message to the teams, coaches, players and fans of women's lacrosse. Imagine the NFL scheduling one of their playoff rounds like this?

"Yeah, you guys have Saturday and Sunday to showcase the four divisional round playoff games this weekend. Use the time slots available as you see fit."

"Nah--we're good with all the games being scheduled on the same day, start times all within an hour of each other."

Yet, the men's games yesterday and today were scheduled with ideal seacoaster spacing. Oh, and not so you'd really notice it, the entire 1st two rounds (21 games) of the women's tournament are streamed on the internet. The entire 1st round (8 games) of the men's are all televised nationally on ESPNU.

The men sit at the table with the filet mignon and the women get the scraps.

We need that hard rain to fall on the muckety mucks making these crapbag decisions.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Cletus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 am What can you say about how the NCAA and ESPN chose to schedule the coverage for the 2nd round--apart from saying it sucks? Three games at noon today and the remaining five games at 1pm. Sends such a negligent, indifferent, disrespectful message to the teams, coaches, players and fans of women's lacrosse. Imagine the NFL scheduling one of their playoff rounds like this?

"Yeah, you guys have Saturday and Sunday to showcase the four divisional round playoff games this weekend. Use the time slots available as you see fit."

"Nah--we're good with all the games being scheduled on the same day, start times all within an hour of each other."

Yet, the men's games yesterday and today were scheduled with ideal seacoaster spacing. Oh, and not so you'd really notice it, the entire 1st two rounds (21 games) of the women's tournament are streamed on the internet. The entire 1st round (8 games) of the men's are all televised nationally on ESPNU.

The men sit at the table with the filet mignon and the women get the scraps.

We need that hard rain to fall on the muckety mucks making these crapbag decisions.
+100
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

For all you BC Eagles fans out there, tonight on the ACC Network airing at 8pm on the Authentic ACC program is Dream Big: The Story of Boston College. Should be interesting. I'll have the ol VCR set for it.

And now, the 2021 National Champions--Your Boston College Eagles!
OuttaNowhereWregget

See tomorrow’s stars today. High School Girls National Championship is airing today at 2pm on NBCSN
OuttaNowhereWregget

Back in March, then standout Florida defender Cara Trombetta sat down with Sam Croston for a very interesting interview. Trombetta is a breath of fresh air and her responses are anything but "canned". She even uses the dreaded "choke" word to describe herself and her team in the past and goes into detail about what happens in a team sometimes when they get to the NCAA's. Obviously, if the Florida Gators experience this, there are plenty of other teams that experience the same thing. It's human nature for some to check out when the demand gets stronger.

The entire interview is here:

https://anchor.fm/samantha573/episodes/ ... /a-a4pv3v9

The 1 minute clip is here:

Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 am Back in March, then standout Florida defender Cara Trombetta sat down with Sam Croston for a very interesting interview. Trombetta is a breath of fresh air and her responses are anything but "canned". She even uses the dreaded "choke" word to describe herself and her team in the past and goes into detail about what happens in a team sometimes when they get to the NCAA's. Obviously, if the Florida Gators experience this, there are plenty of other teams that experience the same thing. It's human nature for some to check out when the demand gets stronger.

I listened. IMO, there is a difference between Ms Trombetta using the choke term an some keyboard sports pundit using it. She has put in the time, the effort and understands where the team was when they did not meet expectations. She has skin in the game, unlike the general sports pundit who's only skin in the game may be getting a splinter in her/his asz while sliding down the stands to get another order of nachos. One is earned, ones is assumed and an easy slap to those that actually play the game.

As to her second comment about athletes checking out, that certainly is her experience. Mine, albeit some (lots of)years ago, was just the opposite. The intensity increased, not decreased and focus intensified not decreased. Much has changed since then but that was my experience. I do not know her but I have to believe what she is saying. The question would be why? I guess we could ask SU assistant coach Pirecca is she feels the same way.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:13 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 am Back in March, then standout Florida defender Cara Trombetta sat down with Sam Croston for a very interesting interview. Trombetta is a breath of fresh air and her responses are anything but "canned". She even uses the dreaded "choke" word to describe herself and her team in the past and goes into detail about what happens in a team sometimes when they get to the NCAA's. Obviously, if the Florida Gators experience this, there are plenty of other teams that experience the same thing. It's human nature for some to check out when the demand gets stronger.

I listened. IMO, there is a difference between Ms Trombetta using the choke term an some keyboard sports pundit using it. She has put in the time, the effort and understands where the team was when they did not meet expectations. She has skin in the game, unlike the general sports pundit who's only skin in the game may be getting a splinter in her/his asz while sliding down the stands to get another order of nachos. One is earned, ones is assumed and an easy slap to those that actually play the game.

As to her second comment about athletes checking out, that certainly is her experience. Mine, albeit some (lots of)years ago, was just the opposite. The intensity increased, not decreased and focus intensified not decreased. Much has changed since then but that was my experience. I do not know her but I have to believe what she is saying. The question would be why? I guess we could ask SU assistant coach Pirecca is she feels the same way.
Very interesting comments.
There's no question, at least in my mind, that certain teams and players in high pressure situations play at peak potential, indeed sometimes reaching peaks they'd never experienced before in a wave of momentum. Almost a euphoria.

Or others find a grit to hold on in high pressure situations. Not necessarily their very best, but enough to close out the win.

Others don't. Or at least don't on a given day.
IMO, the latter isn't usually "choking", though it can look that way from afar, even feel that way up close and on the team.

Diagnosing what turns on the former and actually cultivating it is an interesting discussion.

I find less interesting the labelling of a player, or a team, much less a program as "chokers". However, the absence of whatever elements go into creating the dynamic of peak performance, euphoria or special grit, is what perhaps best explains the phenomena of a team underperforming expectations under max pressure.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 am
Diagnosing what turns on the former and actually cultivating it is an interesting discussion.

I find less interesting the labelling of a player, or a team, much less a program as "chokers". However, the absence of whatever elements go into creating the dynamic of peak performance, euphoria or special grit, is what perhaps best explains the phenomena of a team underperforming expectations under max pressure.
I really like this topic. And I think here, specifically, you can't really apply Trombetta's sentiments to just any team. Florida has historically gotten plenty of blue chip recruits & transfers, they have incredible facilities at a huge Power 5 athletic school, and for whatever reason seem to fall short of their own and others' expectations. They haven't made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament since they made the Final Four in 2012, just their 3rd year as a program. It seemed like they turned a corner in 2020 when they beat UMD, but then turned around and lost to Loyola, who played a masterful game, by 11, and THEN beat #3 ranked SBU a week later.

I know there are other examples of programs like this, but UF has always puzzled me more than others for some reason.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:02 pm

I really like this topic. And I think here, specifically, you can't really apply Trombetta's sentiments to just any team. Florida has historically gotten plenty of blue chip recruits & transfers, they have incredible facilities at a huge Power 5 athletic school, and for whatever reason seem to fall short of their own and others' expectations. They haven't made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament since they made the Final Four in 2012, just their 3rd year as a program. It seemed like they turned a corner in 2020 when they beat UMD, but then turned around and lost to Loyola, who played a masterful game, by 11, and THEN beat #3 ranked SBU a week later.

I know there are other examples of programs like this, but UF has always puzzled me more than others for some reason.
Notre Dame would seem to fit right in with Florida. No doubt they get good talent each year, but it sure seems like they check out every postseason without leaving much on the field.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:10 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:02 pm

Notre Dame would seem to fit right in with Florida. No doubt they get good talent each year, but it sure seems like they check out every postseason without leaving much on the field.
They're always the first program I think of when I think of the canceled 2020 season, they were firing on all cylinders and looked disciplined & dangerous. No doubt injuries to Aldave and Lynch affected them this year
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Again, I'm less interested in negatively labelling programs, teams, or specific players, than in identifying what those seemingly magical components are that result in peak performance, and/or grit, under highest stress situations.

Suggestions?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”