WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:10 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:02 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 am
Diagnosing what turns on the former and actually cultivating it is an interesting discussion.

I find less interesting the labelling of a player, or a team, much less a program as "chokers". However, the absence of whatever elements go into creating the dynamic of peak performance, euphoria or special grit, is what perhaps best explains the phenomena of a team underperforming expectations under max pressure.
I really like this topic. And I think here, specifically, you can't really apply Trombetta's sentiments to just any team. Florida has historically gotten plenty of blue chip recruits & transfers, they have incredible facilities at a huge Power 5 athletic school, and for whatever reason seem to fall short of their own and others' expectations. They haven't made it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament since they made the Final Four in 2012, just their 3rd year as a program. It seemed like they turned a corner in 2020 when they beat UMD, but then turned around and lost to Loyola, who played a masterful game, by 11, and THEN beat #3 ranked SBU a week later.

I know there are other examples of programs like this, but UF has always puzzled me more than others for some reason.
Notre Dame would seem to fit right in with Florida. No doubt they get good talent each year, but it sure seems like they check out every postseason without leaving much on the field.
I also wonder if the hype train for Florida and ND (and others) just catches up with reality as things get tight later in the year. I am not hating on ND/FLA, just commenting on them as they were mentioned above. I could think of others that are always highly ranked and recently havent been able to get over the expectations. SBU, JHU (Mens team, 44 we want...), UVA, etc.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:01 pm Again, I'm less interested in negatively labelling programs, teams, or specific players, than in identifying what those seemingly magical components are that result in peak performance, and/or grit, under highest stress situations.

Suggestions?
There is only one team I consistently dislike(d). And now that John Sung is gonzo, I think I will bring out my Hokie clothing and wear it proud.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:01 pm Again, I'm less interested in negatively labelling programs, teams, or specific players, than in identifying what those seemingly magical components are that result in peak performance, and/or grit, under highest stress situations.

Suggestions?
Wasn't trying to label anyone or any program as negative, sorry if it came off that way. My point in highlighting UF was (1) because Trombetta was the one on the podcast and (2) they, in my own opinion, are a program that has at times seemingly had almost all of those magical components in place, but ended up performing inconsistently. Almost to your point - despite all the talent, facilities, coaching, etc. there's a lot more that goes into it.

To contribute to your question - I think team culture is enormously important. Discipline, humility, and competitive fire are paramount. Trust and faith in yourself, your coaches, your teammates, and your preparation for the moment make all the difference. It sounds simple, but you have the most competitive women in the sport and channeling that competitive fire into a system designed for the betterment of the team can be challenging. Everyone has to "buy in", and even then, there's no guarantee an individual or team will always perform to their maximum potential. If you ask coaches who have had success, they'd tell you a little bit of luck never hurts either.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Suggestions?
Wasn't trying to label anyone or any program as negative, sorry if it came off that way. My point in highlighting UF was (1) because Trombetta was the one on the podcast and (2) they, in my own opinion, are a program that has at times seemingly had almost all of those magical components in place, but ended up performing inconsistently. Almost to your point - despite all the talent, facilities, coaching, etc. there's a lot more that goes into it.

To contribute to your question - I think team culture is enormously important. Discipline, humility, and competitive fire are paramount. Trust and faith in yourself, your coaches, your teammates, and your preparation for the moment make all the difference. It sounds simple, but you have the most competitive women in the sport and channeling that competitive fire into a system designed for the betterment of the team can be challenging. Everyone has to "buy in", and even then, there's no guarantee an individual or team will always perform to their maximum potential. If you ask coaches who have had success, they'd tell you a little bit of luck never hurts either.
Definitely an element of luck involved...ball goes off the cross bar, ticks off a stick...just a stone on the field can be the difference between winning and losing...

What I've seen happen, and it can happen at pretty much any level, is that some event occurs during the course of a season that catalyzes a coming together of the team that transforms them in a very positive way. Usually there are the prerequisite elements of sufficient talent at each position, sound coaching, and senior (or experienced) leadership. Often not just one special leader, but typically multiple such. That exists on most top teams. But something happens in which the team goes 'all-in' as a group, with each player valued and contributing to the whole, and a release from whatever natural barriers against risk-taking as may have been there before. Those barriers can be all sorts of things, from distraction by internal competitions to micro-management coaching to depth chart mismanagement to fear of failure. Trust in one another hampered. And when those barriers effectively disappear in the face of that catalytic event, the team catches fire, plays aggressively, with an attitude of seemingly nothing to lose, yet with this cresting confidence that even the impossible is actually going to happen.

Not that this sort of thing is essential for a team to succeed in post-season play, but more often than not, such appears to be happening. BTW, the very best team usually can't overcome that momentum when it happens in an opponent.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Suggestions?

Definitely an element of luck involved...ball goes off the cross bar, ticks off a stick...just a stone on the field can be the difference between winning and losing...

What I've seen happen, and it can happen at pretty much any level, is that some event occurs during the course of a season that catalyzes a coming together of the team that transforms them in a very positive way. Usually there are the prerequisite elements of sufficient talent at each position, sound coaching, and senior (or experienced) leadership. Often not just one special leader, but typically multiple such. That exists on most top teams. But something happens in which the team goes 'all-in' as a group, with each player valued and contributing to the whole, and a release from whatever natural barriers against risk-taking as may have been there before. Those barriers can be all sorts of things, from distraction by internal competitions to micro-management coaching to depth chart mismanagement to fear of failure. Trust in one another hampered. And when those barriers effectively disappear in the face of that catalytic event, the team catches fire, plays aggressively, with an attitude of seemingly nothing to lose, yet with this cresting confidence that even the impossible is actually going to happen.

Not that this sort of thing is essential for a team to succeed in post-season play, but more often than not, such appears to be happening. BTW, the very best team usually can't overcome that momentum when it happens in an opponent.
I agree, although I don't think the specific catalyst event is always necessary. Sometimes it just happens, and I think, catalyst event or no, it happens at somewhat of an unconscious level. I think anyone on these boards who has played team sports at any level can say the same. Whether it's rallying around a teammate or coach (catalyst event) or you just look up during a game and realize everything/everyone is clicking. Being a part of something like that is really special and is probably the reason we're active on this forum and enjoy watching and discussing sports in general.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Suggestions?

I agree, although I don't think the specific catalyst event is always necessary. Sometimes it just happens, and I think, catalyst event or no, it happens at somewhat of an unconscious level. I think anyone on these boards who has played team sports at any level can say the same. Whether it's rallying around a teammate or coach (catalyst event) or you just look up during a game and realize everything/everyone is clicking. Being a part of something like that is really special and is probably the reason we're active on this forum and enjoy watching and discussing sports in general.
I have more experience on the boy's and men's world, so my examples would tend to be from those, but it's obviously the same dynamic.

An example from my son's high school league, the MIAA, his team in 2011 was probably at best the fourth team in the league based on season play, struggling at times badly. A handful of extraordinary talents in the senior class. They'd upset the # 2 team early in the season in a crazy rainstorm day in which they decided to play on their grass field rather than moving to turf, with other games cancelled altogether...Boy's Latin players freaked out by the call, Gilman won in OT. They'd lost to the #1 team, Calvert Hall, twice, who had been unbeaten throughout the season. After a fairly late season, 2nd and ignominious beat down by the #3 team, Loyola, they had a practice in which the coaches scheduled a team scrimmage, first string against the second string. For 4 10 min quarters, the 2nd team, for which my son was the goalie, beat the first string, very physical, guys yelling at each other at quarter breaks, younger guys challenging the senior talents to step up...coaches totally hands off, let them go at it. My son and a couple of others came out for third stringers for a 5th Q and the first string eventually 'won' the scrimmage. But something clicked in that moment. A reckoning. They won their remaining games and made it to the semifinals of the MIAA tournament; down 6-3 with just 1:27 to play, a fight broke out and flags flew. 3 penalties against my son's team, including on the starting goalie, one for the opponent. Game over, right? But the last penalty was against the opponent, a dead ball foul, possession to Gilman. Ryan Tucker (UVA) went left, traffic and then wrapped across the top with players hanging off of him and fired...ball went in from 15..opposing goalie had made 9 prior saves, giving up only 3. Ensuing face-off, again down net two players, Tucker wins the ball and does it again, bulling his way to the net. Next face off he wins again, errant pass almost goes out of bounds, Conor Doyle (Notre Dame) scoops one handed under pressure and sprints to the net, two guys wrapped around him, dives and stuffs it past tender. 3 goals in one minute, down net two. Tie game, 27 seconds left, but still down net one. No TO's left for either team. Possession won by Boy's Latin, ball taken behind the goal by best midfielder; "smart" play is to hold for possession in OT and chance to set the man-up play... for some reason the LSM turned and left him a lane to the net, 1 v 1 save by son at the buzzer to save a tie. Ensuing FO won by Gilman, they await all-even, then Tucker does it again from outside. Two days later they're up against undefeated Calvert Hall, definitely the best team in league. But they could do absolutely no wrong and won handily.

Or the St. Mary's team that backed into the tourney a couple of weeks later on a coin toss, only to run the table behind a dominant FOGO and adrenaline, nothing to lose. Or Loyola, struggling, flips their midfield and attack (including Ryan Conrad to attack) and then runs the table for the sheer joy of playing free flowing ball (no one knew the assigned plays from the other positions, so they just made it up!)

Or, in college, UVA's late season run and NC after the very talented Bratton brothers were removed from the team, requiring Stanwick to take the reins and assert control of the offense. They'd struggled prior to the move, voted on by the team.

Or UNC's implausible late season run in 2016...sure, talented, but where did that come from? Or for that matter, UVA's two most recent, both unexpected, NC's...

Very hard to explain, much less manufacture.

I'm sure others can recount similar on the women's side.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Four Schneidereith sisters on The Stick Drop

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Sheehan Stanwick Burch hosts the four Schneidereith sisters and asks each one which rule changes they might prefer. Interesting to hear the players answer off the cuff.

MDlaxfan76

Re: Four Schneidereith sisters on The Stick Drop

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:11 pm Sheehan Stanwick Burch hosts the four Schneidereith sisters and asks each one which rule changes they might prefer. Interesting to hear the players answer off the cuff.

Fun!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Suggestions?
There is only one team I consistently dislike(d). And now that John Sung is gonzo, I think I will bring out my Hokie clothing and wear it proud.

I liked John. Got along with him well. I understand that he wasn't everyone's favorite. Kristen Skiera will have you a VT fan again. She's top shelf people.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:33 pm I liked John. Got along with him well. I understand that he wasn't everyone's favorite. Kristen Skiera will have you a VT fan again. She's top shelf people.
I liked him as well. He graciously suggested a phone call when I contacted him on Twitter with a question, then spoke with me for about an hour on the phone a few years back. He mentioned you Larry. He confided a lot of inside info about the game and life in D1 NCAA in confidence. I hope he lands somewhere and gets another chance to coach, if that's what he wants to do. No denying his success at Winthrop. I'm not sure why his success at VT dropped off after that last great year for the Hokies under his reign in 2018.

Strangely enough, his bio is still up on the VT website. Here is a bit from his history.

"The 2015 and 2016 Big South Coach of the Year, Sung formerly was the chair of the NCAA Division I Lacrosse Committee and also serves on the U.S. Lacrosse Convention Education Committee. His 2015 squad set Big South single-season records for points, goals (314), free-position goals (67), shots (633), shots on goal (459), ground balls (384), draw controls (312), and caused turnovers (213). In 2016, Winthrop scored 301 goals, including 58 free-position goals. The Eagles set Big South single-season marks for shots (662), ground balls (434), and caused turnovers (266).

In addition to compiling a 54-26 overall record at Winthrop, Sung led the Haudenosaunee Nation to the quarterfinals of the 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse World Cup held in Canada. The team finished in seventh place out of a total of 19 teams. He also coached the team in the 2009 Federation of International Lacrosse in the Czech Republic.

Sung’s ascent as an NCAA coach began at Division III Adrian College in Michigan, where he started the program from the ground up and compiled a 46-19 overall record. His 2011 squad started the season 1-4 before registering 15 consecutive victories to earn a berth in the NCAA Division III Tournament. After posting a 6-7 overall record in its first season in 2008, the program went 10-4 in 2009, 14-3 in 2010 and 16-5 in 2011.

Before beginning the program at Adrian College, Sung spent five years as the assistant women’s club lacrosse coach at the University of Michigan, setting the groundwork for that program to eventually become a varsity sport in the Big Ten. The Wolverines accumulated a 93-22 record during this tenure.

A longtime trainer of goalies, Sung has held various coaching positions with Birmingham Seaholm High School and the Detroit Lacrosse Club. He has been the assistant director of the Great Lakes Women’s Lacrosse Camp since 1997. In addition to his work at various levels in the lacrosse community, Sung has a wealth of sales and management experience in the private sector.

Sung was the starting goalkeeper of the Oakland University lacrosse team in 1997 and 1998 and was also a two-year captain. He was also member of two International Cup U16 championship teams in 1993 and 1994. He completed his degree in Bachelor of Arts degree in communications from Oakland in 2007.

Sung, who resides in Blacksburg with his wife Tina, has three stepsons; Darek, Devin and Zachary, and a daughter, Abby."

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:33 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:10 pm

Suggestions?

I liked John. Got along with him well. I understand that he wasn't everyone's favorite. Kristen Skiera will have you a VT fan again. She's top shelf people.
My Bad....Correction...there was only one Coach I disliked. I never disliked the hard working athletes on that team. Daughter played with/against over 10 of them during her Club/HS years.

I am glad that there is/was another side of John that I did not personally see. Maybe I was too harsh, but I only saw one side and I didnt like it. I should be more tolerable and open to different perspectives.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Girls High School All American Game. Syracuse's own Megan Carney is coaching one of the teams.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... bucketId=2
OuttaNowhereWregget

Navy coaching staff to go live on Facebook tomorrow

This might be interesting tomorrow. If coach Timchal is fielding questions, it might be worthwhile to check in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS-KcLFLTzN ... _copy_link
OuttaNowhereWregget

Thanks to YouTube TV, this game is available to watch and rewatch for a whole year. Just had a hankering to watch it again last night.

Boston College 11 North Carolina 10 NCAA semifinal 2021

Jenny Levy calls for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left.

Too bad neither Jay Alter or Sheehan Stanwick Burch called a spade a spade on this one. Jay started out doing just that but then both he and his partner started making excuses for Levy.

Alter - "Mastroianni scores with one point three. It won't be enough time for the Tar Heels... There's just no chance you can win the draw and score in one second."

SSB - "No... credit Boston College for really just taking time off that clock."

After the stick check was called:

Alter - "If you're Jenny Levy, you just have to try everything."

SSB - "You have to try everything, yes... smart play right there to try that."

I KNOW if Stugotz was in the booth he would have rightly scoffed at the call for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left. Too polite in the women's lacrosse booth most times. I'd love to have them bring Weiner back but I doubt that will happen.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:18 am Thanks to YouTube TV, this game is available to watch and rewatch for a whole year. Just had a hankering to watch it again last night.

Boston College 11 North Carolina 10 NCAA semifinal 2021

Jenny Levy calls for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left.

Too bad neither Jay Alter or Sheehan Stanwick Burch called a spade a spade on this one. Jay started out doing just that but then both he and his partner started making excuses for Levy.

Alter - "Mastroianni scores with one point three. It won't be enough time for the Tar Heels... There's just no chance you can win the draw and score in one second."

SSB - "No... credit Boston College for really just taking time off that clock."

After the stick check was called:

Alter - "If you're Jenny Levy, you just have to try everything."

SSB - "You have to try everything, yes... smart play right there to try that."

I KNOW if Stugotz was in the booth he would have rightly scoffed at the call for a stick check with 1.3 seconds left. Too polite in the women's lacrosse booth most times. I'd love to have them bring Weiner back but I doubt that will happen.
And he would have been wrong. It was absolutely the right thing to do IMO. 1.3 seconds is not very long but with strong throw/shot toward the cage you never know. Probably not the shot that would matter but if you have your other players crashing the crease you have tons of potential fouls that could happen in the 8. Hit in the head with a stick, push from the back, you never know. What you do know is that with out that stick check, if it was fruitful, there would have been no chance. 999 out of 1000 nothing happens with 1.3 seconds left even with a free throw to the crease. But the effort it took to get to that point you look to anything that may get you tied up and that 1 out of 1000 chance. Even if it is a stick check with 1.3 seconds left.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree X 1000, Bart, the monstrous aszwhole would indeed have been wrong. Flutie's Hail Mary, Cuse's many last second comeback wins, all in desperation mode and giving yourself whatever chance you can til the clock hits zeros. This is the kind of analysis you get with hindsight, slow motion and freeze frame, and re-watching a play/game fourteen times. Real time and the heat of the battle is just a little different.
OuttaNowhereWregget

A definite nice touch in the championship broadcast was having an official mic’d up so you could hear what the calls were for fouls and yellow cards and the added treat of hearing Charlotte North in the draw circle yell out instructions to her teammates and even at one point interacting with the official on the draw circle. I hope they make that a regular feature, not only for championship weekend but for all televised games on ESPN and the Big 10 Network.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:30 am Agree X 1000, Bart, the monstrous aszwhole would indeed have been wrong. Flutie's Hail Mary, Cuse's many last second comeback wins, all in desperation mode and giving yourself whatever chance you can til the clock hits zeros. This is the kind of analysis you get with hindsight, slow motion and freeze frame, and re-watching a play/game fourteen times. Real time and the heat of the battle is just a little different.

For me this is not about agreeing with ONW or anyone else. I said at that time that Jenny calling for a stick check was ridiculous. She didn't do anything wrong, but I didn't think it was a good move. My reaction was, "WHAT? C'mon Jenny! Really?"
And I was disappointed that no one in that booth criticized that move. Sheehan is terrific, but she is too nice at times when she needs to "go Quint or Carc" with her commentary. And I am lucky to know her and have told her that before. When we watch other sports and questionable calls are made or poor play is obvious, the commentators point it out. It just seems in Women's Lax that the commentary is more about being polite than being honest about what we are watching.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:30 am Agree X 1000, Bart, the monstrous aszwhole would indeed have been wrong. Flutie's Hail Mary, Cuse's many last second comeback wins, all in desperation mode and giving yourself whatever chance you can til the clock hits zeros. This is the kind of analysis you get with hindsight, slow motion and freeze frame, and re-watching a play/game fourteen times. Real time and the heat of the battle is just a little different.

For me this is not about agreeing with ONW or anyone else. I said at that time that Jenny calling for a stick check was ridiculous. She didn't do anything wrong, but I didn't think it was a good move. My reaction was, "WHAT? C'mon Jenny! Really?"
And I was disappointed that no one in that booth criticized that move. Sheehan is terrific, but she is too nice at times when she needs to "go Quint or Carc" with her commentary. And I am lucky to know her and have told her that before. When we watch other sports and questionable calls are made or poor play is obvious, the commentators point it out. It just seems in Women's Lax that the commentary is more about being polite than being honest about what we are watching.
My opinion.....no one should ever, ever, go Quint or Carc in their commentary. Ever. Neither is my cup of tea.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:18 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am

My opinion.....no one should ever, ever, go Quint or Carc in their commentary. Ever. Neither is my cup of tea.

Really? I have no problem with getting real thoughts from a Great Goalie from Hopkins and a former Syracuse AA player. Both suit me just fine and it would be nice to have some of that on the Women's side. I better not get access to a booth because I am SURE you would hate me. :lol: :lol:

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”