Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:02 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

Just left Presidents Cup. 1st day there was about 10 colleges watching the top bracket for the 2025s. 2nd day about 2. Sunday zip. I did not see any other games, so I don’t know how much they were attended.
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:35 pm
But most of the top schools have moved on to the top 2026s and there are some names that have emerged and seperated themselves from the pack. Obviously no contact but coaches like getting the early jump by inviting them to camps and that's been in full force and have been since last summer.
the 26s are probably the earliest recruited class since the timeline change. Not sure if this is a sign of things to come.

When my 25 went to a couple late august camps (including the school she ended up committing to), the coaches were clearly focused on 26s, spending anywhere from 50-90% of their time with them. My 25 walked away from that camp thinking the school wasn't interested because the coach spent maybe 30 second with her.

Even my 27 just got her first person invite to a summer camp during a showcase in October.
laxfan9999
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:02 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by laxfan9999 »

Last year in Dallas, the coaches were focused on 25s so it sounds about the same. My daughter was on a top 10 2024 team and last year in Dallas they had maybe 5 coaches watch the games Saturday and Sunday. A few more than that watched the one Friday game.
laxguy516
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:25 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by laxguy516 »

It was the same for the 25's. 26's being recruited no differently.
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:30 am Just left Presidents Cup. 1st day there was about 10 colleges watching the top bracket for the 2025s. 2nd day about 2. Sunday zip. I did not see any other games, so I don’t know how much they were attended.
I was there last weekend as well. I stayed with my 27 all weekend but my 25 said they average about 5 coaches per game, mostly NESCACs. To be fair, 80% of her team is committed. Said some lower pools looked to have more coaches, but she didn't know which level they were.

Biggest thing for her was having a couple dinners with the other commits for her school. Apparently, they were encouraged to go to president's cup next year and enter as a team in the open division.
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Just saw a 24 girl decommitted from San Diego st to Brown.

Interesting change of schools. Shocked that Brown had any academic spots left unless they lost one of their commits.
Laxfan212
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by Laxfan212 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:20 pm Just saw a 24 girl decommitted from San Diego st to Brown.

Interesting change of schools. Shocked that Brown had any academic spots left unless they lost one of their commits.
Didn’t Taylor Gait move from SDSU to Brown?
User avatar
OuttaNowhereWregget
Posts: 7084
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan212 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:05 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:20 pm Just saw a 24 girl decommitted from San Diego st to Brown.

Interesting change of schools. Shocked that Brown had any academic spots left unless they lost one of their commits.
Didn’t Taylor Gait move from SDSU to Brown?
As the Fonz used to say, "Correctamundo."

Image

Posted on Brown's Instagram account on Aug 30th, '23
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Laxfan212 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:05 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:20 pm Just saw a 24 girl decommitted from San Diego st to Brown.

Interesting change of schools. Shocked that Brown had any academic spots left unless they lost one of their commits.
Didn’t Taylor Gait move from SDSU to Brown?
She did. My point, knowing how Ivy recruiting work, is that I am surprised that Brown got an extra slot at this point in the process.
jff97
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun May 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by jff97 »

UNC with the top-ranked recruiting class for 2023. Surprised they didn't mention that Chloe Humphrey is already the greatest player of all time. :D
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tars/62271
GratefulRed
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:23 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by GratefulRed »

jff97 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am UNC with the top-ranked recruiting class for 2023. Surprised they didn't mention that Chloe Humphrey is already the greatest player of all time. :D
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tars/62271
:lol: I think they did mention that somewhere.
25and32LaxDad
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

I have been lingering as a reader for months so first appreciate all the info this forum provides but wanted to provide a different perspective on presidents cup. I have a '25 going through the process (we are in Cali) and a '32 that will eventually. My '25 played in pool 4 and "upset" 3 of the 4 teams we faced (ranked 50, 42 and 29) and lost to a sub 20 ranked team from NY by 3. Every team we played had a ton of commits. With regards the amount of coaches on our sidelines, Friday night was packed. Saturday was probably about 10-15 and then Sunday maybe 5. My 25 is a defender and is not committed so it was good to see the traffic on the sidelines.
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:04 pm I have been lingering as a reader for months so first appreciate all the info this forum provides but wanted to provide a different perspective on presidents cup. I have a '25 going through the process (we are in Cali) and a '32 that will eventually. My '25 played in pool 4 and "upset" 3 of the 4 teams we faced (ranked 50, 42 and 29) and lost to a sub 20 ranked team from NY by 3. Every team we played had a ton of commits. With regards the amount of coaches on our sidelines, Friday night was packed. Saturday was probably about 10-15 and then Sunday maybe 5. My 25 is a defender and is not committed so it was good to see the traffic on the sidelines.
Glad your daughter got some more looks.

Rankings for girls in their recruiting year are often even more meaningless than typical rankings. Many committed girls skip fall tourneys, especially if they play other sports. Even if they play, most coaches will play their uncommitted girls more.

In the case of our club, we brought up 5 or 6 uncommited girls from the B team and featured them. My 25, a middie who sometimes plays defense (and will play D in college) played low attack for the first time since 3rd or 4th grade.

We had about a dozen or so coaches at the first 3 games and none on Sunday, however, this was a fraction of what we had a fall draw and LFTC the weekend before. From my experience, lots of coaches use presidents cup to focus on girls from smaller clubs who don't play the top recruiting tournamnets.
25and32LaxDad
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:57 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by 25and32LaxDad »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:22 am
25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:04 pm I have been lingering as a reader for months so first appreciate all the info this forum provides but wanted to provide a different perspective on presidents cup. I have a '25 going through the process (we are in Cali) and a '32 that will eventually. My '25 played in pool 4 and "upset" 3 of the 4 teams we faced (ranked 50, 42 and 29) and lost to a sub 20 ranked team from NY by 3. Every team we played had a ton of commits. With regards the amount of coaches on our sidelines, Friday night was packed. Saturday was probably about 10-15 and then Sunday maybe 5. My 25 is a defender and is not committed so it was good to see the traffic on the sidelines.
Glad your daughter got some more looks.

Rankings for girls in their recruiting year are often even more meaningless than typical rankings. Many committed girls skip fall tourneys, especially if they play other sports. Even if they play, most coaches will play their uncommitted girls more.

In the case of our club, we brought up 5 or 6 uncommited girls from the B team and featured them. My 25, a middie who sometimes plays defense (and will play D in college) played low attack for the first time since 3rd or 4th grade.

We had about a dozen or so coaches at the first 3 games and none on Sunday, however, this was a fraction of what we had a fall draw and LFTC the weekend before. From my experience, lots of coaches use presidents cup to focus on girls from smaller clubs who don't play the top recruiting tournamnets.
We took part in NXT Contintental Cup and Chesapeake Invitational last month which was good exposure and this summer's tourneys were solid for coaches on the sidelines but its been eye opening for sure. My 25 had played for a different club the past two years due to a connection with her high school coach and that team is ranked north of 125 so they play in some of the lowest pools to mixed results and have had really had no exposure over the summer or at Presidents Cup. Had I known colleges turn middies into defenders, I would have encouraged her to change positions a long time ago (her old club used her on attack). Lessons learned for my 32..
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

25and32LaxDad wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:57 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:22 am
25and32LaxDad wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:04 pm I have been lingering as a reader for months so first appreciate all the info this forum provides but wanted to provide a different perspective on presidents cup. I have a '25 going through the process (we are in Cali) and a '32 that will eventually. My '25 played in pool 4 and "upset" 3 of the 4 teams we faced (ranked 50, 42 and 29) and lost to a sub 20 ranked team from NY by 3. Every team we played had a ton of commits. With regards the amount of coaches on our sidelines, Friday night was packed. Saturday was probably about 10-15 and then Sunday maybe 5. My 25 is a defender and is not committed so it was good to see the traffic on the sidelines.
Had I known colleges turn middies into defenders, I would have encouraged her to change positions a long time ago (her old club used her on attack). Lessons learned for my 32..
This varies alot school by school. Some schools only recruit middies as field players, though most common split is 4 middies, 2 attack, 2D and 1GK for a recruiting class. Even as a middie, coaches have an idea of where each girl projects. In the modern college game, within top 40 schools, there are probably less than 2 dozen true 2-way middies.
lax410
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by lax410 »

I think marketing yourself as M/D or M/A is a good recruiting strategy and encompasses many girls. I don’t particularly like or recommend early position specification for this reason. So many college-bound girls in HS play mid because they’re among the best on their teams.
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

lax410 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 pm I think marketing yourself as M/D or M/A is a good recruiting strategy and encompasses many girls. I don’t particularly like or recommend early position specification for this reason. So many college-bound girls in HS play mid because they’re among the best on their teams.
Absolutely. what you don't want in club is to be the 5th middie who plays 10 minutes a game when you are good enough to be a starting defender.
Womenslaxxfan
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:34 pm

Re: Recruiting

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 pm
lax410 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 pm I think marketing yourself as M/D or M/A is a good recruiting strategy and encompasses many girls. I don’t particularly like or recommend early position specification for this reason. So many college-bound girls in HS play mid because they’re among the best on their teams.
Absolutely. what you don't want in club is to be the 5th middie who plays 10 minutes a game when you are good enough to be a starting defender.
It’s a tough call. At the tip high schools and club teams, positional players get recruited and looked at for that position because they have enough depth of talent to afford to have players that are more attack or defense minded to favor those positions and still get looked at. But for non hotbed schools and lower tier clubs, players who are good enough to get recruited to a division 1 school are typically one of the best and/or most athletic players on the team….which means they play midfield on those teams. College coaches will sort players forward or backwards on the field once they get there based on whether they shine better on offense or defense. True two way midfielders like belle smith are increasingly rare.

My point is that unless your daughter plays for a strong club, her best shot at getting noticed (assuming she is d1 material) is by playing midfield….more touches, more chances to show athletism, just more of everything when all you are looking for is a couple “wow” moments….
LaxDadMax
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:52 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:27 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 pm
lax410 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 pm I think marketing yourself as M/D or M/A is a good recruiting strategy and encompasses many girls. I don’t particularly like or recommend early position specification for this reason. So many college-bound girls in HS play mid because they’re among the best on their teams.
Absolutely. what you don't want in club is to be the 5th middie who plays 10 minutes a game when you are good enough to be a starting defender.
It’s a tough call. At the tip high schools and club teams, positional players get recruited and looked at for that position because they have enough depth of talent to afford to have players that are more attack or defense minded to favor those positions and still get looked at. But for non hotbed schools and lower tier clubs, players who are good enough to get recruited to a division 1 school are typically one of the best and/or most athletic players on the team….which means they play midfield on those teams. College coaches will sort players forward or backwards on the field once they get there based on whether they shine better on offense or defense. True two way midfielders like belle smith are increasingly rare.

My point is that unless your daughter plays for a strong club, her best shot at getting noticed (assuming she is d1 material) is by playing midfield….more touches, more chances to show athletism, just more of everything when all you are looking for is a couple “wow” moments….
Completely agree. Reality is that if you are playing in a club outside of the top 40, a majority of recruited field players will be midfielders.

Did some quick math.

200 defenders are currently committed D1, 174 played for "top 40" clubs. (87%)
196 Attakers are currently committed D1, 155 played for "top 40" clubs (79%)
85 goalies are committed D1, 65 played for "top 40" clubs (76%)
423 middies are committed D1, 312 played for "top 40" clubs (73%)

Of the non-top 40 girls committed D1,

56% are middies,
20% are attackers,
13% are defenders
10% are goalies.

Of top 40 girls who are committed

44% are middies,
22% are attackers,
25% are defenders
9% are goalies.
Relax77
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:02 am

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:24 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:27 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 pm
lax410 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:33 pm I think marketing yourself as M/D or M/A is a good recruiting strategy and encompasses many girls. I don’t particularly like or recommend early position specification for this reason. So many college-bound girls in HS play mid because they’re among the best on their teams.
Absolutely. what you don't want in club is to be the 5th middie who plays 10 minutes a game when you are good enough to be a starting defender.
It’s a tough call. At the tip high schools and club teams, positional players get recruited and looked at for that position because they have enough depth of talent to afford to have players that are more attack or defense minded to favor those positions and still get looked at. But for non hotbed schools and lower tier clubs, players who are good enough to get recruited to a division 1 school are typically one of the best and/or most athletic players on the team….which means they play midfield on those teams. College coaches will sort players forward or backwards on the field once they get there based on whether they shine better on offense or defense. True two way midfielders like belle smith are increasingly rare.

My point is that unless your daughter plays for a strong club, her best shot at getting noticed (assuming she is d1 material) is by playing midfield….more touches, more chances to show athletism, just more of everything when all you are looking for is a couple “wow” moments….
Completely agree. Reality is that if you are playing in a club outside of the top 40, a majority of recruited field players will be midfielders.

Did some quick math.

200 defenders are currently committed D1, 174 played for "top 40" clubs. (87%)
196 Attakers are currently committed D1, 155 played for "top 40" clubs (79%)
85 goalies are committed D1, 65 played for "top 40" clubs (76%)
423 middies are committed D1, 312 played for "top 40" clubs (73%)

Of the non-top 40 girls committed D1,

56% are middies,
20% are attackers,
13% are defenders
10% are goalies.

Of top 40 girls who are committed

44% are middies,
22% are attackers,
25% are defenders
9% are goalies.
Years ago Multiple coaches tried to turn my daughter into a midfielder. They said 100 times easier to play college as a middie. When you get to college they’ll move you to the position they think you belong at. When she started playing for a top club team that conversation never happened again.
Post Reply

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”