Record breaking

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cagekeeper

Record breaking

Post by Cagekeeper »

Am I the only one that thinks players breaking records is slightly unfair? I mean look at today. Emily hawryschuk breaks Kayla treanors record at cuse. Well. She had an extra year to break said record. If KT played for FIVE years obviously her number would be higher. And if you want to say even a half a season more. Because that’s what the current players lost. I just think it’s inaccurate and unfair quite frankly
laxer12

Re: Record breaking

Post by laxer12 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:57 pm Am I the only one that thinks players breaking records is slightly unfair? I mean look at today. Emily hawryschuk breaks Kayla treanors record at cuse. Well. She had an extra year to break said record. If KT played for FIVE years obviously her number would be higher. And if you want to say even a half a season more. Because that’s what the current players lost. I just think it’s inaccurate and unfair quite frankly
This has already been addressed several times.

Kayla Treanor played 94 career games in total. She never had an injury or had a shortened season (2020). She had 4 full, complete seasons. Emily so far has played 87 career games in total even though this is technically her "sixth" season. My point is Hawryschuk broke Treanor's record even though she has thus far played in 7 games fewer than her head coach. And honestly, by the time this season is over... Emily and Syracuse could very well play in 8 more games (one regular season game left, then the ACC and NCAA Tournaments). Which will mean that Hawryschuk played in almost the exact same amount of games as Kayla Treanor did. What exactly is unfair about that?
Last edited by laxer12 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:57 pm Am I the only one that thinks players breaking records is slightly unfair? I mean look at today. Emily hawryschuk breaks Kayla treanors record at cuse. Well. She had an extra year to break said record. If KT played for FIVE years obviously her number would be higher. And if you want to say even a half a season more. Because that’s what the current players lost. I just think it’s inaccurate and unfair quite frankly
Yes, I think it's completely fair. They were given an extra year of eligibility, but were not given an "extra year" of games. Many of these players will finish their "extra year" playing in just as many games as players who played 4 years. Go look at the record books. Under the goals category alone theres a difference of up to 39 games played between players on the list. For the top 3 players for career goals there is a difference of 21 games (Gail Cummings, Temple '85-'88, played 69 games & Megan Whittle, UMD '15-'18, played 90 games). Both Cummings and Whittle will be bumped out by North & Ortega - both of whom have played fewer than 90 games (Ortega has played 83 & North has played in 77).

KT set that record playing in 94 career games. Hawryschuk broke it in 86. Where's the advantage?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

It’s a fair question. In some instances a player will get more games to break a record, in others, like the one 51 broke tonight, they do it in less. Then there are other considerations like the pre-shot clock era and less opportunities to score when other teams played keepaway on the perimeter, quality of sticks, etc.

It's common in sports to have fans concerned about records being broken in different time frames. In 1927, Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in 154 games to set the major league record that stood for over 30 years. Roger Maris came along in 1961 and hit 61 to set a new record. There was much indignation however because Maris played in the 162 game regular season era so he had 8 more games to break the record. But it's part of sports--the fair with the unfair. Monica Seles experienced one of the most tragic and unfair turns of fate when her career was essentially stolen from her. She was dominating women's tennis when Günter Parche took all that away from her.

All to say, it's traditional to point out inconsistencies in sports records. It didn't happen tonight, but there will be other instances when it will. And it's not wrong to say it's unfair when it does.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This can go on and on and sports fans will find reasons to get all fired up and argue about it ad nauseam, never settling it, and all for naught. Today's wlax game, while similar to the game of yesteryear, is really a whole different game. Players have more opportunities to do a whole lot of things stats wise than they did in the stop and go game of the past.
Example: Nattie Smith comes up with the GB on the draw. Does she even come up with the GB in the game of yore? Typically what happened was a fustercluck ensued when the girls put the ball in play, a whistle blew, and one team was awarded the ball because of some sort of infraction on the other team. Now Nattie comes up with it and sprints towards her cage ahead of the pack leading a fast break. In days of yore she's going to be stopped by a whistle because of a stick in the halo, everyone is going stop to be repositioned, and then action will resume for another six steps when that happens again. There is no fast break. Today the diminutive spitfire comes up with the ball, blazes downfield and that same whistle blows but no one stops and she can keep going at top speed. It blows again, but again it doesn't stop the fast break. Now she gets closer to the cage where dishes to EH who puts the ball in the cage. DC to Natalie, assist to Natalie, goal to Emily. Odds are that play never happens in the stop and go game of the past. Just one example but there are many things that are going to change player's stats with the "new (and much improved) game".
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:35 am This can go on and on and sports fans will find reasons to get all fired up and argue about it ad nauseam, never settling it, and all for naught. Today's wlax game, while similar to the game of yesteryear, is really a whole different game. Players have more opportunities to do a whole lot of things stats wise than they did in the stop and go game of the past.
Example: Nattie Smith comes up with the GB on the draw. Does she even come up with the GB in the game of yore? Typically what happened was a fustercluck ensued when the girls put the ball in play, a whistle blew, and one team was awarded the ball because of some sort of infraction on the other team. Now Nattie comes up with it and sprints towards her cage ahead of the pack leading a fast break. In days of yore she's going to be stopped by a whistle because of a stick in the halo, everyone is going stop to be repositioned, and then action will resume for another six steps when that happens again. There is no fast break. Today the diminutive spitfire comes up with the ball, blazes downfield and that same whistle blows but no one stops and she can keep going at top speed. It blows again, but again it doesn't stop the fast break. Now she gets closer to the cage where dishes to EH who puts the ball in the cage. DC to Natalie, assist to Natalie, goal to Emily. Odds are that play never happens in the stop and go game of the past. Just one example but there are many things that are going to change player's stats with the "new (and much improved) game".
Great points & toss in the shot clock too!
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Really difficult to compare players across eras, in all sports. Women's lacrosse has changed so much even in the last 6 years since Treanor graduated. LeBron may have broken Jordan's points record, but there will only ever be one Jordan. Treanor can stand on her own legacy regardless of records.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:06 pm Really difficult to compare players across eras, in all sports. Women's lacrosse has changed so much even in the last 6 years since Treanor graduated. LeBron may have broken Jordan's points record, but there will only ever be one Jordan. Treanor can stand on her own legacy regardless of records.
This is a good point as well. Even before athletes got that COVID season back, there was criticism about players playing against weak competition or in weak conferences breaking records - my point being if it's not one thing, then it's something else. Reality is, there is no possible way for all the players to play in a controlled environment against equal competition and with equally talented teammates.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”