TOPTM?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
rc13

Re: TOPTM?

Post by rc13 »

When I had a vote in the men's and women's media polls, I tried not to overreact first game performance (good or bad).
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

rc13 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm
It sure was. Considering their strength of schedule and the fact that they got 9 of their 20 wins beating up on the weak sisters of the America East conference. Making them number one for most of the season over Boston College, Maryland, and UNC was without a doubt ridiculous.
Sorry--I don't know how anyone could objectively call that "ridiculous." There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests it was. Clearly Stony Brook was a title contender last year. If you don't think 2018 Stony Brook was capable of winning the national championship, well, I don't know what you were watching.

You may disagree with the ranking, but the ranking was hardly ridiculous.
This debate seems like a little deja vu from last year. First, let me stress I am not a SBU fan. I do like the way they play. I think that SBU's performance on the road against BC in the NCAA quarterfinals puts the lie to the notion that their ranking was "ridiculous." SBU lost 12-11 in OT in Chestnut Hill. The team they lost to then beat Maryland 15-13 in regulation on a neutral field, and lost to the eventual champ by a goal in a great game. There was a very narrow space between teams at the top last year. And I'll bet you a dollar and ham sandwich that Acacia Walker and her team wouldn't call it "ridiculous" that SBU was No. 1 in the polls for much of the year. On a neutral field, on a given day, SBU could certainly have won it all.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:37 pm No, it was ridiculous. They didn’t play Maryland, or North Carolina, Boston College, or JMU during the regular season. These four teams were given a higher ranking for the tournament by the NCAA committee. They did play seven teams from the pathetic America East conference, along with some other middle of the pack poll ranked teams. There is no justification for poll ranking them number one with their strength of schedule and their conference competition. Regardless of what they did against Boston College in the tournament, I have limited my argument to their poll rankings during the regular season. The NCAA selection committee obviously thought the same thing when they gave Stony Brook a number five ranking for the tournament. The calculated rankings that were kept on Lax Power last year also never had Stony Brook even close to number one during the regular season. My point was regular season, not post regular season hindsight perspective.
It certainly seems like you have an ax to grind. Had I been still voting in the poll, I'd have put SB at #1. Does that make me "ridiculous" or an "idiot?" Sorry, I think otherwise.

It is not ridiculous to rank an undefeated team who had indeed faced ranked competition at #1. That's common in all sports and it's far from ridiculous. Ratings are not power rankings.

I was not at all surprised by the 5 seed that Stony Brook received. The selection criteria is stacked to favor power conferences. The committee followed that criteria correctly.

You disagree with that #1 ranking? Fine. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Your language toward those who disagree with you is highly condescending and insulting. "Ridiculous?" "Pathetic?" "No justification?" Please, give it a rest. What's your motivation here?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

was involved involved in a discussion elsewhere where me and others said, someone beating UMass was a bigger upset than Colgate beating SU. everyone just dropped it afterwards but... a guy's response was, There is no way... It is a FACT, plainly a FACT, that there's no scenario where beating UMass is a bigger upset than beating SU... etc. Again, we just dropped it but... I don't get it. Hampton beating UMass isn't a bigger upset than Cornell or whoever beating SU? Not even speaking to the fact that SU has down years while UMass has ups. Found it odd and, for obvious reasons, this thread reminded of it. (wlaxnut, for clarity, I'm not talking about you. though i didn't read the whole thread, I don't think you're doing this.) To be in an environment which is centered around discussions and using language that quashes discussion. I have a relative who does this often and, for him, it's about winning. the discussion isn't a discussion to learn and grow and etc. it's a competition and a means to winning. anyway, just found it odd and i couldn't say this there without offending so... You all are forced to listen to me. :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Has nothing to do with anything, but kinda cool.
Steph playing a little wlax.
https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... zona-state
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 am was involved involved in a discussion elsewhere where me and others said, someone beating UMass was a bigger upset than Colgate beating SU. everyone just dropped it afterwards but... a guy's response was, There is no way... It is a FACT, plainly a FACT, that there's no scenario where beating UMass is a bigger upset than beating SU... etc. Again, we just dropped it but... I don't get it. Hampton beating UMass isn't a bigger upset than Cornell or whoever beating SU? Not even speaking to the fact that SU has down years while UMass has ups. Found it odd and, for obvious reasons, this thread reminded of it. (wlaxnut, for clarity, I'm not talking about you. though i didn't read the whole thread, I don't think you're doing this.) To be in an environment which is centered around discussions and using language that quashes discussion. I have a relative who does this often and, for him, it's about winning. the discussion isn't a discussion to learn and grow and etc. it's a competition and a means to winning. anyway, just found it odd and i couldn't say this there without offending so... You all are forced to listen to me. :)
Thank you, Matnum PI. I appreciate your words and how you presented them.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I'm not offended by any comment on this board -- so far! I responded to the word "ridiculous." SBU was a very good team. I'd betcha that if you could ask Cathy Reese if a No. 1 ranking last year for SBU at any given time in the regular season was "ridiculous," she'd say "No."

Syracuse and Loyola at 4:00 today.

OK, Cuse up 7-0 half way through the first half.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:59 pm
OK, Cuse up 7-0 half way through the first half.
UGH. Glad I didnt drive all the way there.....painful 9-1
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

12-4 at the half.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm 12-4 at the half.
And the stat of the day 13-4 on draws.....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Final score of Cuse/Loyola looks respectable, but it was a complete butt whoopin by Cuse in all aspects....Loyola has to dig deep and decide what kind of team they want to be this year.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Penn State lost to Princeton yesterday 10-21.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 am Penn State lost to Princeton yesterday 10-21.
Saw the second half of that one. Princeton had a big lead throughout. Obviously the Tigers' O was rolling, but I was probably most impressed by Princeton's goalie Sam Fish. SHe was credited with 9 saves, but it seemed like more. Really solid.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

rc13 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 am
wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:37 pm No, it was ridiculous. They didn’t play Maryland, or North Carolina, Boston College, or JMU during the regular season. These four teams were given a higher ranking for the tournament by the NCAA committee. They did play seven teams from the pathetic America East conference, along with some other middle of the pack poll ranked teams. There is no justification for poll ranking them number one with their strength of schedule and their conference competition. Regardless of what they did against Boston College in the tournament, I have limited my argument to their poll rankings during the regular season. The NCAA selection committee obviously thought the same thing when they gave Stony Brook a number five ranking for the tournament. The calculated rankings that were kept on Lax Power last year also never had Stony Brook even close to number one during the regular season. My point was regular season, not post regular season hindsight perspective.
It certainly seems like you have an ax to grind. Had I been still voting in the poll, I'd have put SB at #1. Does that make me "ridiculous" or an "idiot?" Sorry, I think otherwise.

It is not ridiculous to rank an undefeated team who had indeed faced ranked competition at #1. That's common in all sports and it's far from ridiculous. Ratings are not power rankings.

I was not at all surprised by the 5 seed that Stony Brook received. The selection criteria is stacked to favor power conferences. The committee followed that criteria correctly.

You disagree with that #1 ranking? Fine. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Your language toward those who disagree with you is highly condescending and insulting. "Ridiculous?" "Pathetic?" "No justification?" Please, give it a rest. What's your motivation here?
After taking a little time off from this topic, I thought I would try to explain my position a little better.

First--I want to say that the exception I took was with the poll makers, and only the poll makers. I take no exception with the fans of Stony Brook, or the Stony Brook team, or with folks who agree with the polls. I was merely stating my opinion of the folks who create the polls and I believe I steered clear from making any personal attacks on those who disagreed with me during the thread of this particular topic. I think if you go back and read everything I've written on this topic I reserved my disagreement solely toward those who make the polls, not those who agree or disagree with them.

Yes, I feel very strongly about the polls and that Stony Brook sat atop them for most of last season. I don't know why it bothered/bothers me so much, but it did/does. I believe my rational in refuting the pollsters was logical and with good company. And to be perfectly transparent, I felt a little ganged up on and condescended to, myself. That's why I went back and deleted all my original posts on the topic (even though they are all preserved in quotes from other members and their responses.) I was very upset with how I was addressed. I felt I wasn't given the benefit of the doubt. But I want to move on from this period of disagreement, so on to my second point...

I love the great sport of women's lacrosse and I really enjoy this rare place of being able to talk about the sport with others who love it. As you all know, it isn't typically a topic that the guys in work care to talk about. So this is the only place I get to interact with others about this electrifying game. I want to get along with everyone on this forum as best I can. I will try to temper my tone and words in the future should I write about a controversial topic. I apologize if I came across as condescending and insulting. I didn't mean to make anything personal about expressing my passionately held opinion. I only meant to grind my ax against what the pollsters sometimes conclude. Thanks for the feedback from those of you who gave it. I will try to do better going forward.

Long live LaxPower Back-Up Stick!

Peace.
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Statement win for Stanford today - unranked in IL poll and #20 in USlacrosse Magazine poll. Beat Stony Brook @ Stony Brook in cold weather 15-12. Hard for the SB fans to make excuses for this loss.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Agreed. Watched this game and was impressed with Stanford’s toughness all game long. I like that lefty feeding the cutter from the elbow; just hard to defend. That Biaocco (sic?) is a force.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 pm Agreed. Watched this game and was impressed with Stanford’s toughness all game long. I like that lefty feeding the cutter from the elbow; just hard to defend. That Biaocco (sic?) is a force.
She sure is. One of my all-time favorite players. A Jersey girl, natch.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Knew I'd draw you out with a reference to an Oak Knoll kid. She just seems to finish everything.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”