TOPTM?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Turtles Lax

Re: TOPTM?

Post by Turtles Lax »

The Only Poll That Matters.

Old Laxpower site had a collection of brilliant lacrosse minds (and TL :lol: ) who compiled a weekly ranking of the top 20 WLAX teams. Detailed analyses of the ranked teams usually accompanied the pollsters input. It clearly and unequivocally surpassed the coaches’ poll and other polls in place at the time. 8-)

TL was trying to get management of this Forum to consider a resurrection of TOPTM.

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Thank you!

Turtles Lax wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:44 am The Only Poll That Matters.

Old Laxpower site had a collection of brilliant lacrosse minds (and TL :lol: ) who compiled a weekly ranking of the top 20 WLAX teams. Detailed analyses of the ranked teams usually accompanied the pollsters input. It clearly and unequivocally surpassed the coaches’ poll and other polls in place at the time. 8-)

TL was trying to get management of this Forum to consider a resurrection of TOPTM.

Peace, out.

TL
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: What a game...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

TL - should Giles have taken that FPS up 3 players in the 1st OT? I was screaming to pull in out and look for the slam dunk. Still Steele taped up makes it a happy ending for the Turtles!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Why on earth was Maryland up 3 players?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 pm TL - should Giles have taken that FPS up 3 players in the 1st OT? I was screaming to pull in out and look for the slam dunk. Still Steele taped up makes it a happy ending for the Turtles!
I agree with you...I'm yelling at the TV, don't shoot....Stupid play that could have cost them. Worst thing that could have happened, happened....Anyway, good win for the Terps.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:03 pm Why on earth was Maryland up 3 players?
Yellow - Green - Yellow
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Thanks Doc.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:23 pm
UnderArmourOdor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 pm TL - should Giles have taken that FPS up 3 players in the 1st OT? I was screaming to pull in out and look for the slam dunk. Still Steele taped up makes it a happy ending for the Turtles!
I agree with you...I'm yelling at the TV, don't shoot....Stupid play that could have cost them. Worst thing that could have happened, happened....Anyway, good win for the Terps.
I was also thinking the same-the worst mistake would be to miss the FPS and let UNC kill off the cards. Selfish play that could have cost them the game. Steele looked like she would either lose the ball or fall down but somehow got off the shot. A win is a win.
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

Right before the play we were discussing that very thing. Won’t second guess her...and she did have a great angle and room to work...but we were a bit scared when it didn’t work out as planned.

Peace, out.

TL
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Turtles Lax wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:44 amTL was trying to get management of this Forum to consider a resurrection of TOPTM.
We're wide open to it. just let us know what you're thinking, what you'd like us to do, etc. For D1 Women alone or for all?
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

Terrific!

Was involved just in the WD1 poll...think that would be a great place to start.

Do believe some of the ‘unusual suspects’ who previously participated would help out again.

In the past, pollsters submitted their input directly to a site coordinator NLT Monday mornings who then tabulated the results and updated the poll Monday afternoon.

Hard to recall everything immediately, but believe pollsters’ personal inputs (rankings and comments) were included in the thread, too.

Here's to hoping others will recall specific details and add to this. Also hope you folks can make it happen! 8-) THANK YOU!

Peace, out.

TL
richard

Post by richard »

The last year that the D3 mens poll was done it was done with an online system separate from Laxpower. The voters were lined up prior to the start of the year and all had access to the system. The tabulating was done by me and a helper and was posted as a standard submission. All of the commenting which is a big component of TOPTM was done after the submission of the poll. I have to say that everything was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the pollsters to get their polling done on time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Put it on our to-do list and... Let me put some thought into this. I'm sure we can make this happen and can make it interesting.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah--the coaches polls and media polls are often ridiculous--like last year when they had Stony Brook in the top spot for most of the year. As Sheehan Stanwick-Burch said, "As we know, the polls mean nothing."
You mean that Stony Brook team that finished 20-1 and lost in the tournament in overtime to Boston College. Yeah, that was a real stretch to rank that team #1.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

rc13 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:37 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah--the coaches polls and media polls are often ridiculous--like last year when they had Stony Brook in the top spot for most of the year. As Sheehan Stanwick-Burch said, "As we know, the polls mean nothing."
You mean that Stony Brook team that finished 20-1 and lost in the tournament in overtime to Boston College. Yeah, that was a real stretch to rank that team #1.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm
It sure was. Considering their strength of schedule and the fact that they got 9 of their 20 wins beating up on the weak sisters of the America East conference. Making them number one for most of the season over Boston College, Maryland, and UNC was without a doubt ridiculous.
Sorry--I don't know how anyone could objectively call that "ridiculous." There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests it was. Clearly Stony Brook was a title contender last year. If you don't think 2018 Stony Brook was capable of winning the national championship, well, I don't know what you were watching.

You may disagree with the ranking, but the ranking was hardly ridiculous.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rc13

Post by rc13 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 am What do you think of the polls this week? They have Stony Brook at number 10.
Seems reasonable, maybe even generous, given the loss.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 am What do you think of the polls this week? They have Stony Brook at number 10.
If they beat Towson on Friday, then 7-10 seems a good spot....Lose to Towson and they will be cellar dwelling in the poll.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”