W&L 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ctbagataway

W&L 2019

Post by ctbagataway »

Any of the faithful W&L fans from LP make it to this site? I was at the VMI game on Friday night, but no need to share any color if nobody is around.
MrLax2U

Re: W&L 2019

Post by MrLax2U »

CT; I think most D 3 lax fans expect W&L to make a deep run into May 2019 and as such we follow W&L although we may also follow other D 3 teams in other conferences. So please post on the VMI scrimmage and team developments as we get into the 2019 season. Thank you.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Agree that W&L is the ODAC team to beat but... will there defense hold up?
How did defense, goalies and rope unit look? Do they have 2 way middie depth..?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Nothinbutthelax wrote:Agree that W&L is the ODAC team to beat but... will there defense hold up?
How did defense, goalies and rope unit look? Do they have 2 way middie depth..?
I don't know about being the team to beat, seems like the big guys should all be strong again this year ('Noke, Lynchburg, HS and W&L). But we will find out in the spring.

As for the defense, interesting comment because they return all but one starter from last year's unit that was second in the league in goals against average (7.56 to Roanoke's 7.51). It looks like W&L should be fine there. As for the midfield, they rotated a lot of players in during the VMI game, and nearly all are athletic players who can play also play defense.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Really looking forward to watching this year. Record number of kids tried out this year should mean depth in future years.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

At a minimum I’m looking for the Generals to get to a final 4. Strong up the middle with an attackman who very well may be the best player in D3. Top tier fogo, strong lsm, a shutdown D man and an emerging top goalie.This along with an abundance of depth at midfield bodes well for the Gennies. Some new faces may push for time, Greenspon, Bentley, Marsh, Kriss.....Hoping for a quicker start than last season despite facing a very difficult early schedule. York will be a great test(York scrimmages Towson and Bucknell 1/26) and provide some insight as to what this team may be capable of accomplishing
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Agreed. Witherell’s game, to me, is reminiscent of Dylan Molloy (Brown ‘17). Not just in that he is a top talent with the skill to beat you at the crease or with an outside shot, but also because of the attention he commands from defenses. It surely will continue to open opportunities for other players away from the ball. He and the Generals will be fun to watch this year.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Final 4 sure would be nice! I like the way you think--big. A good opening stretch of tough contests should reveal a fair amount about the team. York, CNU and Denison, with York and Denison away. But one thing the team proved last year, it isn't how you start, it is how you finish, and I like how McCabe challenges them early in the season to get them prepared for ODAC play.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Any color on Saturday's scrimmages from anyone who attended? Would love to hear anything.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Heard York looked pretty good against Bucknell and Towson, but they don’t get these type of write ups
http://amp.timeinc.net/time/money/55023 ... ssion=true
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Excellent write up. All of the schools listed are both storied and academically strong, no doubt. However that might be the first time I’ve seen any of them mentioned in a “value” context.

Keeping things in perspective with tangibles...
(All per “US News & World Report”)
Yale tuition -53,430
Notre Dame tuition- 53,391
W&L tuition- 52,455
Harvard tuition- 50,420
Princeton tuition- 47,140
(That price range is a list you also won’t find York on. I hear you get a pretty good education for your dollar from some of the “other guys” in that range too)

On the topic of lacrosse, I’m excited to see Witherells’s continued development. The kid can play.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Generals have a big match up against York coming up. Hope to see it on the screen.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm Any of the faithful W&L fans from LP make it to this site? I was at the VMI game on Friday night, but no need to share any color if nobody is around.
We are here, just staying back a little to make sure the site doesn't go away, LOL. Wishing Coach McCabe and the team a great year. Planning to see many games this year. Did not like the taste of being at the Dickinson loss.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:30 pm Heard York looked pretty good against Bucknell and Towson, but they don’t get these type of write ups
http://amp.timeinc.net/time/money/55023 ... ssion=true
Hats off to VMI for making the top 10. Go Keydets!!!!

valaxfan
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

And sounds like the Keydets performed pretty well in their scrimmages this past weekend up at Marist. Hard not to root for these guys after seeing all of the challenges they face.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ctbagataway wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 am And sounds like the Keydets performed pretty well in their scrimmages this past weekend up at Marist. Hard not to root for these guys after seeing all of the challenges they face.
Looks like the Keydets will have a better lacrosse team this Spring than their football team. They try so hard at football but just not getting it done. I spent many Saturdays as a kid going to VMI games, then tracing back thru W&L Campus to catch the tail end, or beginning, of Generals games.

valaxfan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I didn't know that they were so close to each other.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

You can literally have one foot in the W&L campus and the other in the VMI campus. I need to time my next visit to my dad so that I can catch a game or two.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 am You can literally have one foot in the W&L campus and the other in the VMI campus. I need to time my next visit to my dad so that I can catch a game or two.
Yes you can, just outside Smith Hall at VMI and Alumni HQ at W&L. Also, the back side of Lewis Hall where the trail leads to VMI's new baseball stadium and tennis courts.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Interested in hearing anyone’s take on W&L’s scrimmage with SVC today at 4:30

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”