NCAA Football

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: NCAA Football

Post by Farfromgeneva »

After a protracted round of negotiations, the Bowl Alliance was reformed into the Bowl Championship Series for the 1998 season; former Southeastern Conference commissioner Roy Kramer is considered to be the "father" of the BCS.[4] The Tournament of Roses Association agreed to release the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions if it was necessary to force a national championship game. In return, the Rose Bowl was added to the yearly national championship rotation, and the game was able to keep its coveted exclusive TV time slot on the afternoon of New Year's Day. However, beginning with the 2006 season, the BCS National Championship Game became a separate event played at the same site as a host bowl a week following New Year's Day. The new Bowl Championship Series not only included the Big Ten and the Pac-10 conferences but also teams from mid-major conferences, based on performance.

No mid-major team, however, or team from any conference outside of the six aligned conferences (with the exception of independent Notre Dame, who played Alabama for the 2012 title), had ever played in the BCS Championship Game, causing increasing controversy. This controversy had become even more intense in light of the 4–1 record that mid-major teams had against teams from the six automatic qualifying conferences in the BCS Bowl games they had been allowed to play in. The performances and perfect record of Texas Christian in the 2010 season and Boise State in the season prior to that also fueled the controversy surrounding the perceived inequalities that the BCS seemed to perpetuate (see BCS Controversies below or in this more detailed separate article). However, little headway was made to institute an alternative system like a playoffs tournament, given the entrenched vested economic interests in the various bowls, until after the 2011 season, which saw LSU and Alabama, both members of the SEC West division, play each other in the 2012 BCS Championship game, where Alabama defeated LSU in a shutout win. Thereafter, acknowledging the many game, polling, and other related controversies, fans' complaints, and declining game viewership, among other factors, the major conferences decided to institute the College Football Playoff, which began in the 2014 regular season.

As a legal entity, the holding company "BCS Properties, LLC" continues to control the College Football Playoff.[5]

Succession by College Football Playoff
edit

Main article: College Football Playoff
The College Football Playoff replaced the BCS as the system used to determine the FBS college football champion beginning in the 2014 season. The four-team playoffs consist of two semifinal games, with the winners advancing to the College Football Championship Game. The game is hosted by a different city each year, with locations selected by bids, akin to the Super Bowl or the Final Four. AT&T Stadium hosted the first title game in 2015.[6] The system is contracted to be in place through at least the 2025–2026 season per a contract with ESPN, which owns the rights to broadcast all games.[7] Unlike the BCS, the system does not use polls or computer rankings to select participants. A 13-member committee chooses and seeds the teams for the two playoff games and four other top-tier bowl games, using a balloting procedure similar to the NCAA basketball tournament selection process.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:04 am

It hasn’t ever been done that way in reality. And they really haven’t claimed that either if you focus on it.

There was always going to be whining and it’ll be absurd when #14 team is whining about not being in as if they have chance behind silly discrete mathematicians ability to contemplate.

Probably is Brooklyn’s fault. Got so gentrified and Disneyfied that it lost all its cool grime!

Aha, so now we all know the truth! :mrgreen:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Army-Navy game this weekend!

Meeting will take place in Foxboro rather than in Philly the way it usually is.

https://www.militarytimes.com/smr/army- ... w-england/

Black Knights are a 3 point favorite.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:08 am Army-Navy game this weekend!

Meeting will take place in Foxboro rather than in Philly the way it usually is.

Black Knights are a 3 point favorite.
Hope people found a place to stay: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/1 ... e_vignette
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:46 am
Hope people found a place to stay: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/1 ... e_vignette

Amazing, if true. But yet, the prices for tickets keep going up:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/A ... vents.aspx

https://www.outkick.com/army-navy-game-ticket-prices/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh4BvISVhiQ

You have to wonder why tix prices keep going up if people cannot find hotel accommodations. Perhaps they have found hotel space outside of the immediate Boston area. Who knows?

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:49 am

You have to wonder why tix prices keep going up if people cannot find hotel accommodations. Perhaps they have found hotel space outside of the immediate Boston area. Who knows?
Is your head in the sand, respectfully?....this Football Game is more important to more people than the Superbowl will ever be.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:57 am

Is your head in the sand, respectfully?....this Football Game is more important to more people than the Superbowl will ever be.

Of course it is, Spin Head!

Heck, for all we know, people are sleeping in their cars or pickup trucks in order to see the game. Wouldn't blame them at all if they did.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Came as a big surprise to see that Navy fired coach Ken Niumatalolo (team's most successful in school history with a 109-83 record over 15 years). He was canned immediately after last years OT loss to Army.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-navy-coach- ... 51716.html

He had a 10-5 record over the Cadets.

Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk didn’t waste any time on Saturday afternoon.

According to former Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo, Gladchuk fired him just minutes after they lost 20-17 in double overtime to Army in Philadelphia when he was sitting by himself at his locker in the locker room.

"First of all, we just got kicked in the gut," Niumatalolo told ESPN’s Heather Dinich. "I was a little bit numb prior to him saying that, so most of it I couldn't comprehend. I'm just like, 'Chet, why don't you take some time to relax.' He said, 'Well, it's been building up.'"

Navy announced Sunday that it had fired Niumatalolo after 15 seasons. Niumatalolo finished with a 109-83 record with Navy, which made him the winningest coach in program history. The Midshipmen finished the 2022 season with a 4-8 record, and they went a combined 11-23 over the past three seasons.

Niumatalolo was an assistant at Navy from 2002-07 before he was promoted to the top job.

“It was a great run, but I wasn’t ready for it to be over,” Niumatalolo said, via the Capital Gazette. “I’m still healthy, I’m still strong, I wanted to finish this up, but Chet had other plans.”

Navy AD: Our expectations were clear
Gladchuk said Monday that his expectations for the football program were extremely clear.

He wants the program to reach a bowl game each season, and he wants the team to win the Commander-In Chief’s Trophy given to the team that wins the series played between the three service academies. The Midshipmen have gone 2-5 against both Army and Air Force in the past seven years.

Those goals, Gladchuk said, have been the same for decades.

"That has been the constant bar we strive for, is to achieve those two goals, which are, I believe, very realistic, very reasonable, and have been consistent for 20 years and therefore this does not come as any surprise," Gladchuk said. "It's just an expectation that unfortunately fell short."

“Without any question of a doubt,” Gladchuk said Monday, Niumatalolo knew these were his expectations.

"I spoke directly to his representatives who asked me exactly that question," Gladchuk said. "I conveyed it to them and I conveyed it as I mentioned for 20 years to the head coach ... There's no confusion with regard to what the expectations are. And I think they're realistic. They're reasonable. They're attainable. They're expected. They're resourced, at a minimum to that. I can't make it any clearer."

Niumatalolo said he asked Gladchuk to simply let him finish out his contract instead of firing him now. Niumatalolo only had one year left on his deal, and Navy is set to return 22 starters next season — which will play in a different AAC with Cincinnati, Houston and UCF all leaving for the Big 12.

Yet Gladchuk apparently couldn’t be swayed, even with the promise that Niumatalolo would step away should he fail.

“And if we lose next year, don’t worry about firing me. I’ll resign,” Niumatalolo said he told Gladchuk, via ESPN. “You don’t have to pay me a cent. I’m not looking for a raise, I’m not looking for anything.

“I just want to finish my contract. We're finally coming out of the pandemic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I thought we stood for something different."

Niumatalolo said he doesn’t think he was dealt a fair hand compared to the other academies, either. Navy's facilities weren’t great, for one thing. The team had to share their indoor facility and practice outside in inclement weather at times, he said. Midshipmen are required to graduate in four years, too, meaning the team can’t have any players with a fifth or sixth year of eligibility like other programs do.

Regardless, Navy is moving on.

"I'm a competitor," Niumatalolo said, via ESPN. "It's hard for me to think that we got the ball on the six-inch line, and that's my last game. That's hard to fathom. If we win, he's not firing me. How do you fire a guy after you win the Army-Navy game? That's not going to happen."

As Farfromgeneva said, Probably is Brooklyn’s fault.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:10 pm Came as a big surprise to see that Navy fired coach Ken Niumatalolo (team's most successful in school history with a 109-83 record over 15 years). He was canned immediately after last years OT loss to Army.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-navy-coach- ... 51716.html

He had a 10-5 record over the Cadets.

Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk didn’t waste any time on Saturday afternoon.

According to former Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo, Gladchuk fired him just minutes after they lost 20-17 in double overtime to Army in Philadelphia when he was sitting by himself at his locker in the locker room.

"First of all, we just got kicked in the gut," Niumatalolo told ESPN’s Heather Dinich. "I was a little bit numb prior to him saying that, so most of it I couldn't comprehend. I'm just like, 'Chet, why don't you take some time to relax.' He said, 'Well, it's been building up.'"

Navy announced Sunday that it had fired Niumatalolo after 15 seasons. Niumatalolo finished with a 109-83 record with Navy, which made him the winningest coach in program history. The Midshipmen finished the 2022 season with a 4-8 record, and they went a combined 11-23 over the past three seasons.

Niumatalolo was an assistant at Navy from 2002-07 before he was promoted to the top job.

“It was a great run, but I wasn’t ready for it to be over,” Niumatalolo said, via the Capital Gazette. “I’m still healthy, I’m still strong, I wanted to finish this up, but Chet had other plans.”

Navy AD: Our expectations were clear
Gladchuk said Monday that his expectations for the football program were extremely clear.

He wants the program to reach a bowl game each season, and he wants the team to win the Commander-In Chief’s Trophy given to the team that wins the series played between the three service academies. The Midshipmen have gone 2-5 against both Army and Air Force in the past seven years.

Those goals, Gladchuk said, have been the same for decades.

"That has been the constant bar we strive for, is to achieve those two goals, which are, I believe, very realistic, very reasonable, and have been consistent for 20 years and therefore this does not come as any surprise," Gladchuk said. "It's just an expectation that unfortunately fell short."

“Without any question of a doubt,” Gladchuk said Monday, Niumatalolo knew these were his expectations.

"I spoke directly to his representatives who asked me exactly that question," Gladchuk said. "I conveyed it to them and I conveyed it as I mentioned for 20 years to the head coach ... There's no confusion with regard to what the expectations are. And I think they're realistic. They're reasonable. They're attainable. They're expected. They're resourced, at a minimum to that. I can't make it any clearer."

Niumatalolo said he asked Gladchuk to simply let him finish out his contract instead of firing him now. Niumatalolo only had one year left on his deal, and Navy is set to return 22 starters next season — which will play in a different AAC with Cincinnati, Houston and UCF all leaving for the Big 12.

Yet Gladchuk apparently couldn’t be swayed, even with the promise that Niumatalolo would step away should he fail.

“And if we lose next year, don’t worry about firing me. I’ll resign,” Niumatalolo said he told Gladchuk, via ESPN. “You don’t have to pay me a cent. I’m not looking for a raise, I’m not looking for anything.

“I just want to finish my contract. We're finally coming out of the pandemic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I thought we stood for something different."

Niumatalolo said he doesn’t think he was dealt a fair hand compared to the other academies, either. Navy's facilities weren’t great, for one thing. The team had to share their indoor facility and practice outside in inclement weather at times, he said. Midshipmen are required to graduate in four years, too, meaning the team can’t have any players with a fifth or sixth year of eligibility like other programs do.

Regardless, Navy is moving on.

"I'm a competitor," Niumatalolo said, via ESPN. "It's hard for me to think that we got the ball on the six-inch line, and that's my last game. That's hard to fathom. If we win, he's not firing me. How do you fire a guy after you win the Army-Navy game? That's not going to happen."

As Farfromgeneva said, Probably is Brooklyn’s fault.
That was last year....
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

... you likely missed my opening lines: "Came as a big surprise to see that Navy fired coach Ken Niumatalolo (team's most successful in school history with a 109-83 record over 15 years). He was canned immediately after last years OT loss to Army."

Oh well. Blame Brooklyn, right? :lol:

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:59 pm ... you likely missed my opening lines: "Came as a big surprise to see that Navy fired coach Ken Niumatalolo (team's most successful in school history with a 109-83 record over 15 years). He was canned immediately after last years OT loss to Army."

Oh well. Blame Brooklyn, right? :lol:
I re-read it, a few times. Seems you did not know....which is no big deal.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Army defeats Navy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L_BrA6Ch_w

Army beat Navy 17-11 at Gillette Stadium to claim the 10th Commander-In-Chief's Trophy in academy history. It's the first time Army has won the trophy outright since 2020 (it retained the hardware in 2021).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nish/live/

Army vs. Navy Game score: Black Knights stop Midshipmen at goal line in last-second thrilling finish
It's the first outright Commander-in-Chief's Trophy for the Black Knights since the 2020 season

Army beat Navy 17-11 at Gillette Stadium to claim the 10th Commander-In-Chief's Trophy in academy history. It's the first time Army has won the trophy outright since 2020 (it retained the hardware in 2021).

Navy made a late charge in the final seconds of regulation, marching 72 yards down the field in 10 plays while down eight points. Midshipmen quarterback Tai Lavatai was stuffed at the Black Knights' 1-yard line with 3 seconds on the clock, however, as Army secured the win.

The Black Knights were led by quarterback Bryson Daily, who finished with 54 yards and a touchdown through the air and 84 yards rushing. When it wasn't Daily toting the rock for Army, running back Kanye Udoh was picking up yardage in chunks, finishing with 88 yards on 13 carries.

For Navy, the offense struggled most of the afternoon. Xavier Arline started at quarterback, but the Midshipmen never got anything going with him at the helm. Lavatai took over for good late in the first half, and while he was able to provide a spark, it just wasn't enough to overcome the 10-point deficit Navy faced when he entered the game. Lavatai finished with 74 yards rushing and 179 yards through the air with a touchdown as he valiantly tried to will his team to the comeback win.

The win is Army's second straight over Navy and sixth win in the last eight meetings. Navy still leads the all-time series 62-55-7.

more ...

Didn't get a chance to watch the full game as a youth hockey game I attended changed schedules at the least moment and was an hour later than I initially expected. Came home too late to watch this annual classic. Well, at least the hockey game was awesome. Meanwhile in what I did see QB Lavatai did not appear quite as sharp as he should have been. Passes were largely off and his pocket was picked for the winning TD. Very intense last second ending.

Prolly Brooklyn's fault.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I have plenty of academy graduates friends, a number who’ve played this game and some who are known for heroics in this game.

I think the Super Bowl matters more to more folks still by a margin. Consider how many didn’t know Navy was on a mew HC ;). Folks warp themselves in the flag but most are full of it when they have to put their money where their mouth is when they could just enjoy and appreciate a rivalry game with history and not play pretend about the greater meaning. It’s about the same as the greater meaning of the Iron bowl on society.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:29 am

I have plenty of academy graduates friends, a number who’ve played this game and some who are known for heroics in this game.

I think the Super Bowl matters more to more folks still by a margin. Consider how many didn’t know Navy was on a mew HC ;). Folks warp themselves in the flag but most are full of it when they have to put their money where their mouth is when they could just enjoy and appreciate a rivalry game with history and not play pretend about the greater meaning. It’s about the same as the greater meaning of the Iron bowl on society.
Disagree on some of it, and not sure what your "money where their mouth is" comment means,

I believe you will pivot when your kids get older, especially if one ends up at a SA or enlists. These men and woman are just built different, sure some have no clue what they are doing, but they made the decision to not follow status quo, that, in itself, starts the separation. And sure, we ALL know someone in the military or from a SA, but the vast majority really do not 'know' them.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:51 am I believe you will pivot when your kids get older, especially if one ends up at a SA or enlists.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With all the positive input they get from their father about those in uniform and the recognition and all the "thank you for your service" they get, methinks it's highly unlikely they'll wrap themselves in the flag and become part of the 0.4% of the population who are active military.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:51 am

Disagree on some of it, and not sure what your "money where their mouth is" comment means,

I believe you will pivot when your kids get older, especially if one ends up at a SA or enlists. These men and woman are just built different, sure some have no clue what they are doing, but they made the decision to not follow status quo, that, in itself, starts the separation. And sure, we ALL know someone in the military or from a SA, but the vast majority really do not 'know' them.
I don’t mess around in the real world with people I can’t or don’t get to truly know. That’s my primary filter. (In the real world not here)

I’m always open to change, hardly so intransigent and rigid and certain that what I know is the whole truth like some over on those other boards. So you could be right. Or wrong. Who knows. Will I be a hypocrite towards my kids lives and interests? Yep. But honest about it.

Look I may watch the game with a kicker who’s name would be known if you really value the game-Patmon Malcom. Even he would tell you it’s special, but special like an extreme rivalry and people who place more on it are kind of trying to sell something else to the world. And that’s a guy who’s known for winning a game himself tot he extent a kicker is ever that important. (Guy is a world
Class good dude BTW)
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:51 am I believe you will pivot when your kids get older, especially if one ends up at a SA or enlists.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With all the positive input they get from their father about those in uniform and the recognition and all the "thank you for your service" they get, methinks it's highly unlikely they'll wrap themselves in the flag and become part of the 0.4% of the population who are active military.
More know nothing stepping in. And next time you talk ethics about my children will be your last. Throw me off fanlax now-you shouldn’t go cry to someone because I was mean to you.

Ha ha ha Im a fat old loser in upstate Ny. Laugh at your pathetic out years your irrelevant joke.

Another piece of turd who should’ve sterilized long ago.

Or I’ll pass it along to Dan and Joel Davis who’ve taken a shine to my kids. We ho they feel about your comments. Those hotheads are older than me and why they will do to another person shouldn’t be discussed around children.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Never have the moral high ground and talk about the “ kids”. This will never be forgotten.

Over some complain ass football game people here are talking up with nothing but at best arms length relationship to it. It’s worth shitting on other peoples children. But I’m the jerk he’s ok a decent Old out of touch upstate NY dude so I’m sure some dipshit will defend him because I’m not happy his comment. It’s fine he’s worthless to society and of no relevance whatsoever. It if I ever find out his childrens profiles, hope he enjoys watching them suck dick for $20 because I will bankrupted their futures every way I can possibly do it.

I never claimed I’m a decent person. But my kids are than this pile dung who projects like the stupid lying useless waste of oxygen he is.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:15 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:51 am

I don’t mess around in the real world with people I can’t or don’t get to truly know. That’s my primary filter. (In the real world not here)

I’m always open to change, hardly so intransigent and rigid and certain that what I know is the whole truth like some over on those other boards. So you could be right. Or wrong. Who knows. Will I be a hypocrite towards my kids lives and interests? Yep. But honest about it.

Look I may watch the game with a kicker who’s name would be known if you really value the game-Patmon Malcom. Even he would tell you it’s special, but special like an extreme rivalry and people who place more on it are kind of trying to sell something else to the world. And that’s a guy who’s known for winning a game himself tot he extent a kicker is ever that important. (Guy is a world
Class good dude BTW)
The bold proves my point.....these young men and woman are just built differently. They do not crave the attention, and frankly try to avoid it. They do not see themselves as doing anything special, other than their job....and yet, doing one that so few 'chose' to do, knowing full well the risk and crappy pay. There is clear reason why this game has a far more special meaning than any other.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

No one is talking about your kids, Ffg, try to get ahold yourself. The only one who has threatened anyone's kids here is you.
My comment is about your influence, not your kids. youth is 100% correct.
Now I'm going to go shake in my boots and shiver from fear of your threats...I'll let my kids know you're coming after them too.

I'd bet you're one the millions who could go out and buy a gun today. :roll:

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”