NCAA Football

General Chatter
tech37

Re: NCAA Football

Post by tech37 »

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:40 pm
Whatever... You probably haven't viewed the, IMO, exculpatory angle (thought you'd like that counselor).
So why don't you post that Sherlock?

Three angles. All look cheap shot to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbjwZjl5keI
Yep, the third angle viewed down the sideline showing shoulder to shoulder contact. We'll just agree to disagree then. Late hit no doubt although dback committed to making the hit while ball still in air. Dumb play but not "targeting" and not "egregious."
ggait

Post by ggait »

Understand that "targeting" is defined as head to head.

But a ridiculous cheap shot on a defense-less receiver well after the ball has hit the ground.

As everyone except you can plainly see.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

tech37 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:57 am
ggait wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:39 am Safety took three steps after ball hit ground before making hit. Play over, defenseless receiver. Very cheap shot.
Nope. Three football steps is a nanosecond.

Did you see all angles? Had the timing been legal, would have been considered a good hit.

I have a feeling ggait never played competitive football?
But it wasn't, so it wasn't.

"Timing in life is everything." - John Sculley
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Anyone catch the end of K-State v Mizzou?
Missouri trying to get in FG range. With all TO used up, Mizzou runs a play for small gain and the gets in formation to spike the ball to stop the clock with 6 sec left for a 56 yard FG. But then the Missouri coaching staff came on the field to talk to players as if they had a TO, which they didn’t and oblivious to the moment to all allowed the play clock to run down for a 5 yd delay of game. Stunning stupidity by the whole freakin team.

Luckily for the Tigers, their kicker still nailed the 61 yarder, a school record, for a win.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:33 pm The woman behind Coach Prime: https://theathletic.com/4836011/2023/09 ... d=40937235

Is there a paywall? I can't seem to get the article. If there is one, please transcribe so that we can all see it.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU getting schmacked!! Oregon is on a completely different level and both sides of the line has control of the line of scrimmage.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Washington St defeats Oregon St 38-35 for the PAC-2 title.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SNL with Coach Prime - :lol:

https://fb.watch/nKc4rzTD7l/
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Michigan cheats?

Michigan football sign-stealing scandal: News updates as evidence mounts in alleged cheating investigation
The latest developments surrounding the Wolverines with staffer Connor Stalions at the center of the probe

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... tion/live/

The No. 2 Michigan Wolverines are in the midst of a dream season, though it's come with major distractions. The on-field product has been undeniably impressive, but sign-stealing accusations have created an off-field soap opera that seems to end with a new cliffhanger daily. All the while, the Wolverines remain firmly in the hunt for a third consecutive Big Ten championship and College Football Playoff berth.

At the heart of the investigation is staffer Connor Stalions, who allegedly bought tickets for more than 30 games (many of them Big Ten) and used "illegal technology" to steal signs. Stalions has been suspended with pay pending the outcome of the NCAA's investigation. Coach Jim Harbaugh, who has already been entangled with the NCAA, is an obvious focal point here as well, but he has denied knowledge of the operation.

This will become more interesting as it unfolds ...

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Big Ten conference bans Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh from sidelines over sign-stealing violations

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/10/sport/un ... uminar_msn

The University of Michigan’s football program has been found to have conducted “an impermissible, in-person scouting operation over multiple years,” thus violating the Big Ten sportsmanship policy, the conference announced on Friday.

The announcement came with only three games remaining in the regular season and less than 24 hours before Michigan was due to face Penn State.

As part of the sanctions, Wolverines’ football head coach Jim Harbaugh is suspended for the three remaining games of the 2023 regular season, including Saturday’s game against Penn State.

In October, the conference announced the NCAA was investigating the program for alleged sign-stealing.

The conference said in an email on Friday addressed to Michigan’s athletics director, Warde Manuel, that it believed the university violated the Big Ten’s sportsmanship policy “because a university football staff member engaged in an organized, extensive, years-long in-person advance scouting scheme that was impermissible.”

Harbaugh will be allowed to attend practices and other football team activities, but cannot be in the stadium on game days, according to the conference’s statement.

“Sign-stealing,” the practice of gathering information on the signs a team uses to call offensive and defensive plays, is technically not prohibited under NCAA rules unless electronic communication is intercepted in-game. However, in-person scouting is explicitly outlawed by the rule book.

After the Big Ten announced it was investigating, Harbaugh denied the program had illegally stolen signals, adding that he and his coaching staff would fully cooperate with the investigation into the matter.

“I do not condone or tolerate anyone doing anything illegal or against the NCAA rules,” Harbaugh said. “No matter what program or organization that I have led throughout my career, my instructions and awareness of how we scout opponents have always been firmly within the rules.”

CNN has reached out to Michigan for comment.

wow. Now I'm really interested in the game this weekend. Should be quite an event.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

No. 3 Michigan ousts No. 10 Penn State: How Wolverines beat the fourth of their past six top-10 opponents

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/mich ... sQpb2CEpd/

Michigan ran the ball 46 times, including its first 19 plays of the second half. That was a departure from the balanced offense Michigan has displayed all season, but it was the right move on a day when the Wolverines were struggling to protect quarterback J.J. McCarthy and Penn State was struggling to score.

Acting head coach Sherrone Moore’s willingness to run the ball on third down and neutralize Penn State’s pass rush was a significant factor in the game. The offense was more methodical than explosive, but a 44-yard run from Blake Corum and a 22-yard touchdown from Donovan Edwards were game-altering plays.

Blake Corum rushes 23 yards for a score
The Michigan RB has 131 yards and two touchdowns on the day.

The Penn State-Michigan game garners the second-largest crowd ever at Beaver Stadium - A whopping 110,856 people are at Beaver Stadium for the game Saturday, per Penn State.

To me the biggest difference was in the trenches. Wolverines had much bigger, stronger lines and the Lions just couldn't manage the difference in bulk. This forced PSU's QB to rush his passes and killed off their running game.

After the game interim coach Sherrone Moore was interviewed on TV. The guy was incredibly emotional in his support for the team and for coach Harbaugh. While this was not exactly the greatest college football game I ever saw, it was quite memorable for all that has taken place off the field. The rest of the season should be quite striking as well.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ha ha. Stupid Va AG never should’ve gotten involved he probably jinxed them and JMU should be suing him instead of the state suing the NCAA

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ligibility
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

I attended College GameDay last Saturday at James Madison, it was electric. My wife and I got to the Quad at 7:00 am and there were already about 10,000 people there. My son got there at 3:00 am and he was near the stage that the Jonas Brothers performed on. All told they estimated 26,000 people eventually showed up breaking the record for a College GameDay crowd by 9,000! I saw Pat McAfee's comments the day after the show concerning the NCAA. I thought Pat nailed it with his thoughts about growing up working class and having a belief that the the people in a position of authority have their best interest in mind. I have yet to hear the reason behind the 2 year rule that the NCAA applies to teams that transition from the FCS to the FBS. Can anybody help with that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:14 pm I attended College GameDay last Saturday at James Madison, it was electric. My wife and I got to the Quad at 7:00 am and there were already about 10,000 people there. My son got there at 3:00 am and he was near the stage that the Jonas Brothers performed on. All told they estimated 26,000 people eventually showed up breaking the record for a College GameDay crowd by 9,000! I saw Pat McAfee's comments the day after the show concerning the NCAA. I thought Pat nailed it with his thoughts about growing up working class and having a belief that the the people in a position of authority have their best interest in mind. I have yet to hear the reason behind the 2 year rule that the NCAA applies to teams that transition from the FCS to the FBS. Can anybody help with that?
Oh I walked the campus with my kids a month ago and used to visit frequently because we’d go to Massanutten next door to Harrisonburg. Great campus it’s beautiful, solid school. But having AGs get involved now while allowing slave labor for 30yrs is so stupid. Meanwhile UVA and VaTech are close to Bing on the outside of big football in a decade and this is what they’re spending time on?

As far as the two year rule I believe it’s because of passing of minimum requirements for attendance and other aspects. Whether that’s fair or not doesn’t matter as the NCAA is DOA and just doesn’t know it yet.

I would say however while maybe it’s not relatively white shoe to some JMU was considered not really a working class school in the 90s and 2000s, was popular as an out of state option in Broome Co in the 90s, have numerous friends over 3-4 classes from my hood who went there and loved it.
See Martin, Malcolm
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Geneva - thanks for your reply but, "I believe it’s because of passing of minimum requirements for attendance and other aspects. Whether that’s fair or not doesn’t matter as the NCAA is DOA and just doesn’t know it yet."...does not really provide any clarity. JMU was not my son's first choice but I cannot say enough about the welcoming atmosphere. It is comforting to believe that the people you have entrusted with the development of your child have their best interest in mind.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:59 pm Geneva - thanks for your reply but, "I believe it’s because of passing of minimum requirements for attendance and other aspects. Whether that’s fair or not doesn’t matter as the NCAA is DOA and just doesn’t know it yet."...does not really provide any clarity. JMU was not my son's first choice but I cannot say enough about the welcoming atmosphere. It is comforting to believe that the people you have entrusted with the development of your child have their best interest in mind.
We’re taking about the state Attorney General. Not the college President. No you didn’t entrust your child to the AD, who should really be looking more into Liberty a little south in Lynchburg given what’s coming out of Jerry Jrs new book instead of worrying about this. Or how the SEC/BigTen are effectively colluding to become a two headed oligopoly with the support of linear cable.

But hey I almost went to Richmond to play football instead of Hobart which is another historically a strong 1AA program. Love seeing JMU do well just like App St, Ga St and a few others that moved up. Keep at eye on recent FCS entrant St Thomas bc Hobart played them a few years ago in the D3 playoffs. But none of this rises to needing a state attorney general involved and I live in a football idiot state these days. It was also pretty premature because we’ve seen many lower level group of five or lower programs make noise and be undefeated into Nov and don’t make it to the finish line. I bet they run the table without ESPN and the AG involved. But let’s not forget App St has been one of the nest lower level FBS programs for the last decade. Jerry Moore won over 200 games and the programs also had Mack Brown and Scott Satterfield as HCs (Satterfield now the Lousiville near top ten team again HC). Heck the prior coach is running #8 Missouri now.

I can give you the official record of the answer and it’s got a lot to do with UAB and schools like that:

In its reasoning for denying the waiver to James Madison, along with fellow FBS newcomer Jacksonville State, the NCAA Division I board of directors' administrative committee said the decisions made go beyond performance on the field, and described the policy as "intended to ensure schools are properly evaluation their long-term sustainability in the subdivision," according to The Washington Post.

"Sponsoring sports at this level requires increased scholarships, expanded athletics compliance efforts, and additional academic and mental health support for student-athletes, and the transition period is intended to give members time to adjust to those increased requirements to position student-athletes at those schools for long-term success," the committee said. "Furthermore, a pathway already exists without a waiver for James Madison and Jacksonville State to access bowl games if there are not enough bowl-eligible teams at the end of the regular season."
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Game!

OSU 24
Mich 30

https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+st ... ch;dt;fp;1;;;

While growing up in the 1960s, this was the type of college football that I enjoyed watching. The tv announcers agreed that this was one the greatest games they ever saw. What a game - one for the ages.

Three wins in a row over OSU. The Big House sure was rockin'.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:48 pm The Game!

OSU 24
Mich 30

https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+st ... ch;dt;fp;1;;;

While growing up in the 1960s, this was the type of college football that I enjoyed watching. The tv announcers agreed that this was one the greatest games they ever saw. What a game - one for the ages.

Three wins in a row over OSU. The Big House sure was rockin'.
Do you remember the game in 2006?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Mi ... tball_game
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”