NBA

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NBA

Post by Brooklyn »

Round 1 = Celtic > Nets with last second buzzer beater:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celt ... ttributes/

The Boston Celtics' 15-point lead had disappeared, Kyrie Irving had caught fire and there were only 11 seconds to salvage their series opener on Sunday. Derrick White pushed the ball in transition and gave it up to Jaylen Brown, who drove baseline, and, when two Brooklyn Nets cut him off, spun to his left and kicked it out to Marcus Smart. Instead of trying to be the hero, Smart pump-faked, dribbled past the two Nets flying at him and dished it to a cutting Jayson Tatum.

While the last second heroics won the game, I thought the real cause for the Celts win was their stifling defense. Their quick hands forced numerous turnovers and disrupted the Nets game plan all throughout the match. Now it behooves the Nets management team to develop a counter game plan to neutralize that solid defense and to open up the Brooklyn attack. Hated to see the Nets lose but it was one heck of a game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Warriors win!

https://www.google.com/search?q=NBA+fin ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/17/spor ... state.html

Stephen Curry Left His Critics With Nothing Else to Say
Four N.B.A. championships. Two Most Valuable Player Awards. And yes, a finals M.V.P. Golden State’s Curry has nothing else to prove.

BOSTON — A few seconds remained in Stephen Curry’s N.B.A. season when he spotted his father, Dell, sitting along one of the baselines. He went over to embrace him, then fell to the court in tears.

“Surreal,” Curry said. “I just wanted to take in the moment because it was that special.”

Over six games of the N.B.A. finals, Curry had supplied Golden State with a narrow range of feats that ranged from the extraordinary to the sublime. He squeezed past walls of defenders for up-and-under layups, and backpedaled for fadeaway jumpers. He enthralled some fans while demoralizing others. He sought the spotlight, then delivered.

Golden State Beats Boston Celtics to Win N.B.A. Championship
It’s the fourth championship in eight seasons for Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

He effectively turned the court into his personal theater and the Celtics into his helpless foils, delivering performance after performance in a two-week run whose only flaw was that nearly everyone could begin to anticipate the ending — with Curry exiting the stage as a champion again.

After Golden State defeated Boston, 103-90, on Thursday to clinch its fourth title in eight seasons, Curry, 34, reflected on the long journey back to the top: the injuries and the lopsided losses, the doubters and the uncertainty. He also recalled the exact moment he started preparing for the start of this season — 371 days ago.

“These last two months of the playoffs, these last three years, these last 48 hours — every bit of it has been an emotional roller coaster on and off the floor,” Curry said, “and you’re carrying all of that on a daily basis to try to realize a dream and a goal like we did tonight.”

The numbers tell one story, and they are worth emphasizing. For the series, Curry averaged 31.2 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists while shooting 48.2 percent from the field and 43.7 percent from 3-point range. He was the unanimous selection as the finals’ most valuable player.

“He carried us,” Golden State’s Draymond Green said, “and we’re here as champions.”

But there was an artistry to Curry’s work in the series, too, and it was a profound reminder of everything he has done to reshape the way fans — and even fellow players — think about the game. The way he stretches the court with his interplanetary shooting. The way he uses post players to create space with pick-and-rolls. The way he has boosted the self-esteem of smaller players everywhere.

“When I go back home to Milwaukee and watch my A.A.U. team play and practice, everybody wants to be Steph,” Golden State’s Kevon Looney said. “Everybody wants to shoot 3s, and I’m like: ‘Man, you got to work a little harder to shoot like him. I see him every day.’ ”

For two seasons, of course, in the wake of the Golden State’s catastrophic, injury-marred trip to the 2019 finals, some of that joy was missing. The Warriors scuffled through a slow rebuild.

“You imagine what the emotions are going to be like,” Curry said of winning his fourth championship, “but it hits different.”

The team reassembled the pieces this season, but there were no guarantees. Curry missed the final 12 games of the regular season with a sprained left foot, then aggravated the injury in Game 3 of the finals. All he did in Game 4 was score 43 points to help Golden State even the series at two games apiece.

He showed that he was mortal in Game 5, missing all nine of his 3-point attempts, but his supporting cast filled the void. Among them: Andrew Wiggins and Jordan Poole, who developed their games during Golden State’s playoff-free hiatus and were indispensable this postseason.

“Our young guys carried the belief that we could get back to this stage and win,” Curry said. “And even if it didn’t make sense to anybody when we said it, all that stuff matters.”

For Game 6 on Thursday, Curry broke out the full buffet. He used a pump fake to send the Celtics’ Al Horford flying toward an expensive row of seats. He baited defenders into traps and zipped passes to cutting teammates. And after a big flurry in the third quarter, he glared at the crowd and pointed at his ring finger. (Translation: He was ready for more jewelry.)

Curry began to get emotional when Boston Coach Ime Udoka summoned his reserves from the bench with just over a minute remaining, conceding the series and the championship. Standing alone at midcourt, Curry seemed to be laughing and crying at the same time, a euphoric mix of feelings.

“You imagine what the emotions are going to be like, but it hits different,” he said.

In a sports world consumed by debate shows, uninformed opinions and hot takes on social media, two asterisks — unfair ones — seemed to trail Curry like fumes. The first was that he had neither helped his team win a title without Kevin Durant nor defeated a finals opponent who was at full strength. The second was that he had not been named a finals M.V.P.

Whether he cared or not, Curry effectively quashed both of those narratives against the Celtics, a team that had all of its young stars in uniform and even had Marcus Smart, the league’s defensive player of the year, spending good portions of the series with his arms tucked inside Curry’s jersey.

For his part, Golden State Coach Steve Kerr said there was only one achievement missing from Curry’s résumé: an Olympic gold medal. (It should be noted that Kerr coaches the U.S. men’s national team.)

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist,” Kerr said, deadpan. “Honestly, the whole finals M.V.P. thing? I guess his career has been so impeccable, and that’s the only thing we can actually find. So it’s great to check that box for him. But it’s really hard for me to think that’s actually been held against him.”

more ...

Boston got there through its great defense which, I thought, would have given them a great advantage. But it was clear that Warriors coach Steve Kerr made great defensive adjustments which caused a number of turnovers and this made all the difference. Defensive adjustments along with the great offense as led by Curry whose 3 point range was unlimited took them over the top. I was amazed at the high energy shown by the Warriors at the end of the game. Great work done by their bench.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kyrie Irving has been in some trouble lately for what are said to be his endorsement of Black Israel ideology. When asked about his views he has been rather evasive about them. Finally after a few days he did come around to apologizing. But some have said those were half hearted expressions at best. Funny thing is here is playing in Brooklyn -- what we used to call the Jewish Capitol of the world and he plays basketball which, as everyone knows, Brooklyn is the Mecca, the world's Capitol of basketball. He sure picked the wrong place to play this great game. Well, he is a Republican who refused to get vaxxed so that may explain his bigoted and warped viewpoints.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/11/05/ ... rst-enemy/

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Boston-Golden State highlights:

https://www.vavel.com/en-us/nba/2022/12 ... match.html

Homage was given to Bill Russell # 6 who was from the San Francisco area. Many years ago when people spoke of Celtic success the first name that came to mind with the team's coach Red Auerbach. Not so much today. I cannot honestly remember the last time the sports media mentioned him. Back then we all knew how he had the league and its officials in his pocket. Every disputed or disputable call always came out in his favor. Small wonder why he smoked his cigars like the snob that he was.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Being Sunday night, I usually check my fave hockey or NBA site for a game to watch in the evening. Much to my surprise my usual NBA online site was seized by the Dept of Homeland Security. Will now have to go to another site to watch a game. Well, I was leaning more towards NHL anyways ...

I wonder how/if this agency is able to do the same to international websites that offer free sports coverage. :?:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NBA Dallas Mavs win in one very intense game:

https://stories.nba.com/games/57446-202 ... stons.html

53 points for Luka! ''Doncic finished with 53 points, tying Dirk Nowitzki for the second-highest scoring performance in franchise history, while adding eight rebounds and five assists. It was the fifth game of Doncic's career reaching the 50-point threshold. He accounts for five of the nine performances meeting that mark in team history. '' How I wish he had the complete game with more solid defense and better shooting from the charity stripe.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/d ... bogdanovic

Earlier there was some talk about LeBron James soon surpassing KA Jabbar as the NBA's all time scorer. There was speculation as to whether Luka could ultimately surpass him but it does not appear evident as he is injury prone.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

On our local sports radio station here in Lake Wobegone, there was talk (again) that the NBA may well be rigged. They gave as an example the fact that four times more foul calls are made on the LA Lakers opponents than on the opponents of any other team. Dunno if this is true but over the years I have felt that many games (far too many, in fact) are rigged.

Many online articles on the subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=NBA+is+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

I love basketball but all too often the game is spoiled by this rigging. That's a real shame.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not NBA but Hoops Rules mods, interesting: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpV10H5u ... MyMTA2M2Y=
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Memphis Grizzlies have suspended Ja Morant from all team activities after a video showing the star guard holding a gun began circulating on social media Saturday night.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/3 ... s-star-gun

This is the second time he has been suspended for posting an objectionable video online. He stands to forfeit a nearly $200 million contract for doing so. You have to wonder what kind of nut he is to take such an idiot risk again.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Denver Nuggets - NBA Champs!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Denver+ ... vx;dt;fp;1;;;

Nicola Jokic = MVP. Outstanding play by the big Serbian provided by the margin of victory: 42 minutes, 4 assists, 16 rebounds, 28 points

First Championship for this franchise.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Heck, what do you expect for a measly $113,295 (average annual salary in the WNBA)? :geek:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Remember years ago when the Boston Celtics tried to maintain a monopoly on white players? Things worked out well for a while but this hasn't so successful in recent years. But this time, maybe, they might succeed with Kristaps Porzingis as their new center:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/379 ... on-celtics

Boston Celtics forward/center Kristaps Porzingis has signed a new two-year, $60 million extension -- keeping him under contract for $96 million through the 2025-'26 season, his agents Jeff Schwartz and Janis Porzingis of Excel Sports Management told ESPN on Wednesday.

The sides finalized an agreement on Wednesday, two-plus weeks after Porzingis exercised his $36 million option for the 2023-2024 season to be included in a three-team trade to the Celtics that included guard Marcus Smart's exit to the Memphis Grizzlies.

Porzingis, 27, arrives to Boston off the best season of his NBA career with the Washington Wizards, averaging 23.2 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game.

After injuries and difficult exits with the Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks stymied what appeared early to be a perennial All-Star career, Porzingis reemerged as one of the league's best and most versatile 7-footers in his season-plus with Washington.

I do believe this will be a good fit for both him and the team.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was showing my kids the Vince Carter dunk over Frederick Weis in the olympics. Even my daughter was going "wow he should be embarassed". I love it.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not the NBA (I can't watch the NBA, the cradling and traveling is too much for me) but this is a mighty darn good finish too.
This girl is ridiculous, her radar to the hoop is fine tuned to the max, crazy ability to consistently hit from distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3so0YTvhE
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

What the heck did he wrong? That is one ref that needs to be canned with due haste.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:59 am

What the heck did he wrong? That is one ref that needs to be canned with due haste.
Woman ref....its the democrats fault. ;) :lol:
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:21 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:59 am

Woman ref....its the democrats fault. ;) :lol:

https://www.nbra.net/nba-officials/refe ... alie-sago/

I think she was hired during the tRump regime but yes, let's blame this, like everything else, on the Democrats. Better them than me ;)

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”