Netflix - Shows Worth Watching

Movies, TV, and Music
youthathletics

Re: Netflix - Shows Worth Watching

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:33 pm Check out The Queen's Gambit

Compelling storytelling, excellent performances all around (especially Anya Taylor-Joy) and a killer 50s-60s soundtrack. No special effects or violence. Great set design and costuming. Simply mesmerizing entertainment.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/1 ... -60s-songs
Very much enjoyed it...great length, very bingeable fare.
Just finished it yesterday while cycling indoors, loved it, she is also quite easy on the eyes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Compelling storytelling, excellent performances all around (especially Anya Taylor-Joy) and a killer 50s-60s soundtrack. No special effects or violence. Great set design and costuming. Simply mesmerizing entertainment.

Just finished it yesterday, loved it, she is also quite easy on the eyes
Yep. And she has quite the of peepers herself. Frankly, I was more impressed by her frequent facial (non-dialogue) expressiveness throughout. Check out the scene of her and Jolene in the window at the orphanage when the new parents arrive, the next scene of her sitting in the back seat of the car enroute to her new home, the Kentucky Championship chess match against Beltik and the expression when the gay boyfriend pops into Towners' hotel room. Also the Gibson toast to Alma as her casket is loaded into the belly of the plane. She is a rare talent who often does not have to even speak a word to communicate volumes of emotion.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Yep. And she has quite the of peepers herself. Frankly, I was more impressed by her frequent facial (non-dialogue) expressiveness throughout. Check out the scene of her and Jolene in the window at the orphanage when the new parents arrive, the next scene of her sitting in the back seat of the car enroute to her new home, the Kentucky Championship chess match against Beltik and the expression when the gay boyfriend pops into Towners' hotel room. She is a rare talent who often does not have to even speak a word to communicate volumes of emotion.
I do not recall each of those specific facial expressions that you note, but there were many in each episode that kept my emotions and thoughts heightened.

Funny you mention that gay bedroom scene, those very looks had me saying to myself that she had Townes reconsidering his being gay.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Yep. And she has quite the of peepers herself. Frankly, I was more impressed by her frequent facial (non-dialogue) expressiveness throughout. Check out the scene of her and Jolene in the window at the orphanage when the new parents arrive, the next scene of her sitting in the back seat of the car enroute to her new home, the Kentucky Championship chess match against Beltik and the expression when the gay boyfriend pops into Towners' hotel room. She is a rare talent who often does not have to even speak a word to communicate volumes of emotion.
I do not recall each of those specific facial expressions that you note, but there were many in each episode that kept my emotions and thoughts heightened.

Funny you mention that gay bedroom scene, those very looks had me saying to myself that she had Townes reconsidering his being gay.
Exactly.
But, for her, it was the transition from the surprise to her realization that it was another rejection....Like you I had a similar reaction but had to wait until the last episode to discover that it was the emotional personal relationship between them that was really most important and not the more shallow love interest.

The great thing about Netflix is you can watch it again and scroll to those scenes and see what I mean...

Now, was Cleo really a KGB cutout? :lol: :lol: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Exactly.
But, for her, it was the transition from the surprise to her realization that it was another rejection....Like you I had a similar reaction but had to wait until the last episode to discover that it was the emotional personal relationship between them that was really most important and not the more shallow love interest.

The great thing about Netflix is you can watch it again and scroll to those scenes and see what I mean...

I say yes. And my radar went up when she showed up at Benny's in NYC, it seemed far too convenient. To be honest, I initially thought Benny might try and set up Beth....b/c of is ego. Once Cleo reached out to Beth in while in Paris...I got pissed and wanted to protect her myself. :lol: Then when I saw the two had slept in the same bed, my man imagination took over. :lol:
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Yep. And she has quite the of peepers herself. Frankly, I was more impressed by her frequent facial (non-dialogue) expressiveness throughout. Check out the scene of her and Jolene in the window at the orphanage when the new parents arrive, the next scene of her sitting in the back seat of the car enroute to her new home, the Kentucky Championship chess match against Beltik and the expression when the gay boyfriend pops into Towners' hotel room. Also the Gibson toast to Alma as her casket is loaded into the belly of the plane. She is a rare talent who often does not have to even speak a word to communicate volumes of emotion.

Exactly.

I say yes. And my radar went up when she showed up at Benny's in NYC, it seemed far too convenient. To be honest, I initially thought Benny might try and set up Beth....b/c of is ego. Once Cleo reached out to Beth in while in Paris...I got ticked and wanted to protect her myself. :lol: Then when I saw the two had slept in the same bed, my man imagination took over. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
showed up with baguettes no less!!!
Given Beth's waking up fully clothed in the bathtub - I concluded that nothing could have happened between them. Just another effed up relationship on another non-sexual level for heroine of the story. Served as a rationale for coming back successfully again in the end.

Also think the rejection theme hit her when she saw the shrine in the basement to her by Mr Shaibel and realized he was as close to a father as she had and that he cared about her and followed her and did not abandon her memory - and boy was I ticked when she said she never paid him back the $10 she promised to after she won that first tournament.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dammit, now I'm going to have to check this show out...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Invest the 7 hours - you won't regret it. :!: :!: :!: :!:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Be careful FarFrom...she has that come-hither look. :lol:
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:05 pm
Kismet wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Be careful FarFrom...she has that come-hither look. :lol:
Got that right YA
Truth be told, her non-verbal acting talent is even more greatly displayed in Emma. Knocks it out of the park with a nosebleed on cue near the end in an hysterical romantic sequence.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So...reviews on Bridgerton?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Enjoyed Lupin, waiting on next five episode release to get past cliff hanger ending on first five episodes. Subtitled

Outside the Wire was entertaining if one is into futuristic warfare type dramas.

The Midnight Sky was tedious watch but it kept me in to the end.

Evil series was pure evil.

Barbarians was an intense watch.

The Gift was bizarre watch. Subtitled

Signs is disturbing watch. Subtitled

Young Wallender was enjoyable crime drama watch. Just as good as original Wallender.
The parent, not the coach.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Jim Malone wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:10 pm Enjoyed Lupin, waiting on next five episode release to get past cliff hanger ending on first five episodes. Subtitled

Outside the Wire was entertaining if one is into futuristic warfare type dramas.

The Midnight Sky was tedious watch but it kept me in to the end.

Evil series was pure evil.

Barbarians was an intense watch.

The Gift was bizarre watch. Subtitled

Signs is disturbing watch. Subtitled

Young Wallender was enjoyable crime drama watch. Just as good as original Wallender.
Lupin was very very good, Omar Sy perfectly captures the role IMO...

Joe
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just finished all the episodes in "Down To Earth" for their first season. The setting is visiting a new country/city to look at unique things they are doing to simplify life, help each other out, and of course be good stewards towards the plant.

It's an easy watch, roughly 40 minutes/episode. Perfect time while running the treadmill or hitting the rollers.

Enjoy!
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Pele has gotten very good reviews.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Watched a new original movie called I Care A Lot starting Rosamund Pike and the dwarf from Game of Thrones (Peter Dunkage?).

Concept was interesting, moving was atrocious on a scale I can’t recall since some old Rick Moranis movies and this isn’t supposed to be a comedy....

Flip side is I couldn’t help but think based on the premise of a hustler lawyer milking leaf all guardian status of elderly folks combined with the powerful, take nothing, lesbian attorney who spouts statements that must’ve been created based on data and somehow tries to make her the heroine. Caters to a growing elderly cohort plus has all the trappings of a post modern, pendulum swing too far the other way, audience presumably. This is what we are heading towards and I’m not sure it’s better than 4 channel basic cable...
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just ripped through a SyFy show on Netflix called Happy! starring a guy I know a little bit from my NY days named Christopher Meloni (Best known for like 15yrs on all and order but American Wet Hot Summer, OZ, Fallen and numerous other tv and movie roles). It’s grind hosue level gore with humor. One of the main co stars, Richie Coster,is a sneaky good actor who seems classically trained.

If you can get past the comical level of violence it’s an excellent two season show.
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:11 pm Just ripped through a SyFy show on Netflix called Happy! starring a guy I know a little bit from my NY days named Christopher Meloni (Best known for like 15yrs on all and order but American Wet Hot Summer, OZ, Fallen and numerous other tv and movie roles). It’s grind hosue level gore with humor. One of the main co stars, Richie Coster,is a sneaky good actor who seems classically trained.

If you can get past the comical level of violence it’s an excellent two season show.
Meloni had quite the role in The Handmaid's Tale, albeit brief...

Yikes, that show is good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Haven’t seen Handmaids Tale, that’s the one your yikes comment wa referring to correct?

I love Meloni, not that close but hanging out with him just a dozen or so times he’s a cool modest dude. And a real artist but chose his life and family over pushing acting too hard and eventually got typecast from like 12-15yrs in Law & Order. I really liked this show Happy but hard for me to not be high on anything he does.

Now I used to also late night party with a former general hospital pretty boy teenage star named Jacob Young who thought fo himself as a thespian but....
See Martin, Malcolm
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Rake about an Aussie attorney who is candidate for AA.

The Letter For the King with a 15 YO boy in fiction middle age type era that is about to learn about himself.

Victim Number 8 terrorist bombing in Spanish with subtitles is a thriller.

Messiah about modern day savior of Damascus who the CIA suspects of something nefarious.

Paranoid British crime drama starting with random death in playground of a mom that catapults into chaos.
The parent, not the coach.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”