Comic Books

General Chatter
dislaxxic

Comic Books

Post by dislaxxic »

Was a BIG fan in my youth...last century...getting in at the 12-cent level of Marvel and DC comics. Still have a box of 150 or so...although the box that had all my REALLY old ones was given away to the cleaning lady one summer when i was away at canoe camp in central Ontario...a sad day that my mom STILL laments (as do i!!)

This story has been out there for some time and is another sad affair...

Stan Lee Breaks His Silence: Those I Trusted Betrayed Me

Any other comic book aficionados out there??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Re: Comic Books

Post by Brooklyn »

I've always loved comics with El Santo being my absolute favorite:

He also appeared in many foto-novelas (picture novels), movies (which can be seen in youtube), and he wrestled professionally for many years. His legend in Mexico surpasses that of Superman in the USA.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

dislaxxic wrote:Was a BIG fan in my youth...last century...getting in at the 12-cent level of Marvel and DC comics. Still have a box of 150 or so...although the box that had all my REALLY old ones was given away to the cleaning lady one summer when i was away at canoe camp in central Ontario...a sad day that my mom STILL laments (as do i!!)

This story has been out there for some time and is another sad affair...

Stan Lee Breaks His Silence: Those I Trusted Betrayed Me

Any other comic book aficionados out there??

Stan Lee's final character pitch?

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Yogi Berra's favorite hobby - comix:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Mayor La Guardia reads comics on the air:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Superman reading about himself:

some more vintage photos of comix readers:

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Comics writer Ed Brubaker on how his art form conquered the entertainment industry

"Ed Brubaker is one of American comic's most distinctive and accomplished voices. He has reimagined and rejuvenated popular superhero characters such as Marvel's Daredevil. Brubaker also (literally) brought the Captain America character Bucky (aka the Winter Soldier) back to life, and watched as he became one of the most popular characters in the multi-billion-dollar Marvel film franchise. In his more than 20-year career Brubaker has also written iconic characters such as Batman and the X-Men. He is also a writer on the hit HBO TV show "Westworld."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Congress believed comic books contributed to juvenile delinquency:

https://archive.org/stream/juveniledeli ... t_djvu.txt

http://www.comicsbeat.com/must-listen-a ... -hearings/

At bottom, nothing more than just another political waste of taxpayer dollars.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Brooklyn wrote:Congress believed comic books contributed to juvenile delinquency:

Well, just look at those TITLES fercrissakes...

No Archie, Richie Rich or even Batman in that crowd...

Thankfully, (or maybe because of gubmint demonization)...comics evolved.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Batman, like Superman, contained plenty of violence. I read both of them as a kid growing up in God's Country but I turned out alright. ang11

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Me too! But...look at those titles..."Haunt Fear", "Weird Chills", "Tales of the CRYPT"!!

Parents back then had never SEEN horror comics, right? Horror and comic in the same breath...that musta really carbonated their thinking...

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Horror? This used to scare lots of little kiddies in Brooklyn way back in the old days:

As I think about it, TV was a lot more like comix back in the day. No wonder why it was so much more fun.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

DMac

Post by DMac »

Am wondering, is that where the idea of pumpkins being everywhere for Halloween came from?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

:lol: :lol:

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

dislaxxic wrote::lol: :lol:

My kind of humor.... I am suddenly thirsty!

EDIT: I had to add this

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote:Am wondering, is that where the idea of pumpkins being everywhere for Halloween came from?
Reminds me of joke...What do West Virginian's do on Halloween? Pump-Kin. :mrgreen:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Caught that the first time around, youth, was wondering how many people's heads it went over as there was no hyphen in it the first time.
Good one.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Many moons ago when I was growing up in God's Country-Brooklyn, I once created a pumpkin like this for school:

The teacher found it unacceptable though it got a few laughs from my classmates.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Reminds me of the famous (infamous?) Calvin & Hobbes snowmen... :lol:

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”