Today's Holiday

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Today's Holiday

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:02 am Cinco de Mayo

Once, during the pandemic, I heard, "Can you believe Cinco de Mayo landed on a Taco Tuesday during Corona"

"Can you believe Cinco de Mayo landed on a Taco Tuesday during Corona ... must have been quite a fiesta.
O ~ la Leh
O ~ La Leh ..."

Happy Cinco de Mayo to all.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.fws.gov/sites/default/files ... k=Wu2s_xR1

Good day for our feathered friends. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Please extend a Happy Mothers Day to each of your spouses, moms, and daughters.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:48 am Please extend a Happy Mothers Day to each of your spouses, moms, and daughters.

🥰

Brooklyn

Re: Happy Brooklyn Day!

Post by Brooklyn »

꧁༺ 𝓗𝓪𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓑𝓻𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓵𝔂𝓷 𝓓𝓪𝔂! ༻꧂

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Flag Day!

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:00 am Happy Flag Day!

Rick Monday makes a great play. Vin Scully on the call.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Perhaps this belongs in the politics section, but with the past two posts being about Flag Day......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 321857007/
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:00 am Happy Flag Day!

A little late but still worth it.
This guy was something else!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtKJCBMqybQ&t=185s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For tomorrow, wanted to drop this as something to consider for all the folks that maybe had to go through tough situations as a dad or child w father. Hope it can and does get better for those who have this pain in their lives.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-estran ... 8f?mod=mhp

For Estranged Dads, Father’s Day Is a Painful Reminder - WSJ

Updated June 17, 2023 12:00 am ET
Michael has three grown daughters who haven’t spoken to him for four years. His ex-wife ended the marriage over their lack of compatibility, but his daughters blame him for breaking up the family. “I haven’t gotten a Father’s Day card since my marriage ended, and I’ll be shocked if I get one this year,” he told me. “It’s like I don’t even exist. My oldest daughter is getting married and I’m not even invited.“ Looking surprised by his own admission, he added, “I’ve never been so sad about anything in my whole life.”

I see a lot of clients like Michael in my psychotherapy practice: fathers who vowed to be better dads than their own but now face the prospect of missing their children’s graduations or their grandchildren’s birthday parties. A study published last year in the Journal of Marriage and Family by sociologist Rin Reczek and colleagues suggests that 26% of fathers experience a period of estrangement from their adult children at some point, four times the rate for mothers. Dads are especially vulnerable to becoming estranged from their daughters.

In my own practice, I often see how divorce puts dads at risk.

There are a number of reasons why parental estrangement may be on the rise for fathers. One is that children are far less likely to grow up with a father than in decades past. The research group Child Trends found that in 2016 about 40% of births in the U.S. occurred outside of marriage, up from 28% in 1990. Sociologist Frank Furstenberg explains that fathers who never marry “are more likely to fade out of their children’s lives, having little or no contact as the children grow up.” When that occurs, children may have little motivation to re-establish contact even if the father reaches out later in life.

In my own practice and research specializing in family estrangements, I often see how divorce puts dads at risk. To regain a sense of control, children often seek to assign blame to one parent. Divorce can also lead to disparagement of one parent by the other. “Mothers are sometimes gatekeepers, preventing or making it difficult for children to have contact if they are in conflict with the father after divorce or separation,” said Phil and Carolyn Cowan, professors emeriti of psychology at UC Berkeley.

Newsletter Sign-up

Grapevine

A weekly look at our most colorful, thought-provoking and original feature stories on the business of life.

Remarriage and parental dating bring new people into children’s lives who are often perceived as competing for emotional and material resources. Research shows the children aren’t just imagining it. When fathers repartner later in life, they are more likely to prioritize the romantic relationship and new children, while ties to their pre-existing children often become weaker. This may also occur because new wives or partners are likely to prioritize their own children and extended families, which may also cause dad’s children and extended family relations to suffer.

Of course, it’s not just divorce that limits fathers’ involvement. Men—divorced or married—are sometimes less willing or able to engage in the kind of communication necessary for a good relationship with adult children. They’re also less likely to seek guidance or corrective feedback from family or friends when things start to unravel. “Men’s main problem is not self-loathing, stupidity, greed, or any of the legions of other things they’re accused of,” writes psychologist Thomas Joiner in “Lonely at the Top: The High Cost of Men’s Success.” “The problem, instead, is loneliness; as they age, they gradually lose contact with friends and family,” often as a result of placing work and autonomy at the center of their lives.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Have you experienced an estrangement from a parent or adult child? Join the conversation below.

Today’s fraught political environment doesn’t help matters. A Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted shortly after the 2016 election found that 16% of respondents had stopped communicating with a friend or family member over politics. This was the case for Joseph, a dad in my practice: “I voted for Trump in the last election, and my son who’s gay said he can’t have a relationship with me because Trump puts people like him at risk. He said if I’m endorsing him then I’m endorsing violence against him.”

Joseph and his son were close, and he didn’t agree with Trump’s rhetoric about LGBTQ issues, but he’s a lifelong Republican who always goes with the party’s candidate. “The idea that I’ll never see him again because I voted for a politician, I just can’t make any sense of it,” he said. While Joseph was supportive of his son’s sexuality, not all fathers are, and numerous studies show that a child’s LGBTQ identity often results in less contact and more negative interactions with parents, especially dads.

Changes in the way we think and talk about childhood also contribute to divisions. “My daughter says I emotionally abused her when she was growing up and that it was traumatic for her,” Richard, a CEO of a midcap company told me. “Traumatic? I coached her soccer, helped her with her college essays, traveled with her. I’m not saying I was a perfect parent. But, abusive? No. Never!” He pulled out his phone to show me photos sitting by her at a campfire when she was three, rafting down the American River with him as a teen, high-fiving each other at the summit of Mt. Rainier in her early 20s. “Does that look like a traumatic childhood to you?”

Fathers are more likely than mothers to respond with hostility when they feel disrespected or rejected.

But his daughter sees things differently. It’s a common generational divide, due in part to an expanding definition of abusive or neglectful behavior. Unfortunately, fathers are more likely than mothers to respond with hostility when they feel disrespected or rejected, which only weakens the motivation a child might have to forgive or heal. Based on my research and the thousands of estranged dads I’ve counseled, my advice to fathers is: Don’t defend, don’t blame, and don’t criticize. Instead of asking your child “Why are you doing this to me,” say “I know you wouldn’t do this unless you felt like it was the healthiest thing to do.”

Richard was able to eventually reconcile with his daughter by accepting that his behavior was far more hurtful to her than he realized, making amends, and committing to doing better in the future. When healing isn’t possible, you can survive Father’s Day by remembering your child is not the ultimate arbiter of your value as a parent. They can have their opinions, but their dissatisfaction doesn’t refute your years of love or positive contributions to their lives.

Joshua Coleman is a psychologist and senior fellow at the Council on Contemporary Families, and the author of the book “Rules of Estrangement: Why Adult Children Cut Ties and How to Heal the Conflict.”

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Celebrate!

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:25 am Image

Celebrate!
My daughters birthday is also today!
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:25 am Image

Celebrate!
My daughters birthday is also today!

Happy Birthday! That's the best Holiday of all. :D

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Summer Solstice!

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Welcome to Normaltown
IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1438.jpeg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

July 2 World UFO day:

Vampira happily agrees:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IdealHoarseComet-mobile.mp4

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Looking forward to the Hot Dog eating contest and a nice treat I made for myself.

Enjoy!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Joey Chestnut wins again!

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... dogs/live/

Its Chestnut's eighth win in a row, the second time in his career he's won the mustard belt eight straight years

Joey "Jaws" Chestnut battled a lengthy weather delay to capture his 16th Mustard Belt at the 2023 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Chestnut consumed 62 hot dogs in 10 minutes to retain his title as the world champion of hot dog eating.

Chestnut had to wait a little longer than expected because thunderstorms in the New York area caused a two-hour delay. That did seem to bother Chestnut, who started out on a furious pace, and that allowed him to separate himself from the rest of the field.

Chestnut was not quite able to keep up that pace for the entirety of the competition, and he wasn't able to break his world record of 76 hot dogs and buns. Chestnut's official total of 62 hot dogs and buns was one fewer than the 63 he consumed to win the event in 2022. Chestnut still finished 13 ahead of the runner-up, Geoffrey Esper, for another emphatic win.

The race for second and third place went right down to the wire. Esper, who came in second place last year, finished in the same spot this year with 49 hot dogs and buns eaten. James Webb was right behind him in third place with 47 hot dogs and buns consumed.

Before the men's competition, Miki Sudo continued her run of dominance in the women's event, winning her ninth career Mustard Belt with 39.5 hot dogs and buns. She got a good fight from Mayoi Ebihara, who finished in second with 33.5 hot dogs and buns.

A patriotic win for all!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Orange Day or the 12th or Glorious Twelth.

I've known a few Scot-Irish over the years and, contrary to some stereotypes, they are no more prejudiced than anyone else. Like Philly Mummers, they wear uniform jackets, bowler hats, and carry umbrellas to ward away wicked spirits during their parades.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Labor Day!

Unions help make America great.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”